LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 47 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Rays have expressed interest in Jesus Aguilar

Offline  Re: Rays have expressed interest in Jesus Aguilar

Posted: July 23, 2019, 8:41 PM Post
I hope DS is in on this and also listening to other offers for any player besides Hader and yelich.

Offline  Re: Devil Rays have expressed interest in Jesus Aguilar

Posted: July 23, 2019, 9:20 PM Post
Brew4U said:
Give me Colin Poche and it’s a deal.

My goodness, what pitch did he learn how to throw once he got to the pros?

And whoever taught him that pitch, offer him a promotion here.

Posted: July 23, 2019, 9:26 PM Post
Bring back Anthony Banda!

Posted: July 23, 2019, 9:30 PM Post
Thames is due $7.5 mil next year with his player option, I’m assuming he will exercise that.

Would we rather rid of that contract instead of Aguilars league min? Not discrediting Thames production this year, but for the money could we spend it better elsewhere? Teams would have to want Thames though, which could be a tough sell.

Posted: July 23, 2019, 9:34 PM Post
At the very least Thames can play the of too if needed unlike Aguilar

Posted: July 23, 2019, 9:36 PM Post
brewmann04 said:
At the very least Thames can play the of too if needed unlike Aguilar

Real real generous saying that. Thames should never play OF.

Posted: July 23, 2019, 9:40 PM Post
I understand that but in a spot he can but maybe you can also say Aguilar can play third in a pinch .

Posted: July 23, 2019, 11:38 PM Post
ThisIsMyCrew said:
Thames is due $7.5 mil next year with his player option, I’m assuming he will exercise that.

Would we rather rid of that contract instead of Aguilars league min? Not discrediting Thames production this year, but for the money could we spend it better elsewhere? Teams would have to want Thames though, which could be a tough sell.

Team option not player option

Posted: July 24, 2019, 4:13 AM Post
I don't know the Rays well enough to know who they have, nor what level of player(s) we could expect in return, but I'd be very much open to a deal. Jesus has been much better lately; hell even as far back as May 1st he's .271/.375/.436. So it's not really based on his overall numbers this year. I think his overall 117 OPS+ with the Brewers is relatively close to who he is. But he's a 1B only (Where he's about average defensively) RHH who is one of the slowest players in the game. So all he offers is the bat, and does so as an awkward roster fit. So the bat needs to be really, really good to be worth it.

The downside of course is that his value is at a low point. Rays seem to be looking for a platoon complement for Lowe/Choi/Meadows at 1B and/or DH. Not going to pay a fortune for that really. Then there's also the fact that when the Rays wants one of your players you should probably be wary.

Anyway, if Aguilar leaves then I'd play Grandal at 1st against LHP, and bring up Shaw or Nottingham/Freitas to take the roster spot.

Posted: July 24, 2019, 6:02 AM Post
Lathund said:
Anyway, if Aguilar leaves then I'd play Grandal at 1st against LHP, and bring up Shaw or Nottingham/Freitas to take the roster spot.

Or they could play Braun at 1B, and it would be a way to appease the "bring Grisham up" contingent.

Posted: July 24, 2019, 6:42 AM Post
Global Moderator
Lathund said:
I don't know the Rays well enough to know who they have, nor what level of player(s) we could expect in return, but I'd be very much open to a deal. Jesus has been much better lately; hell even as far back as May 1st he's .271/.375/.436. So it's not really based on his overall numbers this year. I think his overall 117 OPS+ with the Brewers is relatively close to who he is. But he's a 1B only (Where he's about average defensively) RHH who is one of the slowest players in the game. So all he offers is the bat, and does so as an awkward roster fit. So the bat needs to be really, really good to be worth it.

The downside of course is that his value is at a low point. Rays seem to be looking for a platoon complement for Lowe/Choi/Meadows at 1B and/or DH. Not going to pay a fortune for that really. Then there's also the fact that when the Rays wants one of your players you should probably be wary.

This is a really good post that touches on a lot of great points.

I also think the fact that Shaw has been primarily playing 1B in San Antonio is foreshadowing that a move like this may actually be ahead.

I know it’s not ideal to lose a right-handed power bat from the roster, but I my sense is they would rather not waste two roster spots on a straight platoon at 1B (yes, I know Thames can stand in the OF in a pinch). If you move Aguilar and call up Shaw (assuming they believe he’s back to form) the positional flexibility all of a sudden looks much better among those that can play at the corner infield spots.

Moustakas- 3B / 2B
Shaw - 1B / 3B
Grandal - C / 1B
Thames - 1B

Posted: July 24, 2019, 6:49 AM Post
Franchises like Tampa and Milwaukee should “collude” when one has an opportunity to win. Screw those big markets. /sorta blue

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Posted: July 24, 2019, 8:23 AM Post
Can we trade Aguilar for Choi? Wish we didn't trade Choi, would like to have him back.

Posted: July 24, 2019, 8:25 AM Post
Eye Black said:
Lathund said:

I also think the fact that Shaw has been primarily playing 1B in San Antonio is foreshadowing that a move like this may actually be ahead.

I know it’s not ideal to lose a right-handed power bat from the roster, but I my sense is they would rather not waste two roster spots on a straight platoon at 1B (yes, I know Thames can stand in the OF in a pinch). If you move Aguilar and call up Shaw (assuming they believe he’s back to form) the positional flexibility all of a sudden looks much better among those that can play at the corner infield spots.

Moustakas- 3B / 2B
Shaw - 1B / 3B
Grandal - C / 1B
Thames - 1B

Aguilar would fit better than Thames on a roster with Shaw though, for platoon reasons

Posted: July 24, 2019, 8:37 AM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Lathund said:

Or they could play Braun at 1B, and it would be a way to appease the "bring Grisham up" contingent.

And then immediately aggravate the "bring up Grisham" contingent when he doesn't hit like Hiura.

Though maybe he will. ATM it doesn't look like anyone can get him out, but he's a different player than Hiura, I'd like to see them take it easy with him. AAA the rest of this year and then to start next year in AAA like Hiura this year and see what you've got over a longer sample size.

Pretty damn giddy he's continued to mash like this though.

Posted: July 24, 2019, 8:56 AM Post
Lathund said:

I don't know the Rays prospects well, but the little I know about their trade expectations seem to generally be wildly unrealistic and seldom result in anything fruitful.

Lots of guys I'd like to see moved if we're gonna sell. Aguilar is not one of them. He's cheap, he can hit, he's not great on the bases or in the field, but again, cheap.

If the Brewers are to do a short little re-load next year, clear some room and go out and get a TOR type pitcher. They have the money and they have enough guys who are cheap/coming off the books in the upcoming years. This "starting pitchers" losing value is a fallacy that we created because we got within a game of the WS with CC and a dominant pen patching together games and getting hot at the right time. I'd be extremely encouraged with a Cole/Woodruff/Burnes(he will get it together) top 3. And we look to have a much better pen next year, Hiura will be in year 2, I would expect Shaw and Aguilar to be much better. Grisham MAY be able to be a productive player, but you know Yellich will be. And as of now, that's the window we should be focused on. The 3 years of cheap, potential MVP like production.

If you don't get Cole, there are so many other good pitchers on the market, I guess you just wait and find the best bargain, but I wouldn't break the bank for any others, particularly Strausburg(who may or may not opt out).

Offline  Re: Devil Rays have expressed interest in Jesus Aguilar

Posted: July 24, 2019, 9:39 AM Post
LouisEly said:
Brew4U said:
Give me Colin Poche and it’s a deal.

My goodness, what pitch did he learn how to throw once he got to the pros?

And whoever taught him that pitch, offer him a promotion here.

Are you suggesting that he was a subpar minor league pitcher that suddenly blossomed in the pros?

He had an unlucky ERA in AAA over 27 innings this year and was otherwise unhittable prior to that.

Posted: July 24, 2019, 10:04 AM Post
IntentionalHBP said:
ThisIsMyCrew said:

Three different sites list Thames' 2020 contract as a Player Option, not a team option.

Posted: July 24, 2019, 10:07 AM Post
Eye Black said:
Lathund said:

Moustakas- 3B / 2B
Shaw - 1B / 3B
Grandal - C / 1B
Thames - 1B

Shaw, Thames, and Moustakas all bat LH. That leaves Shaw w/o a position unless someone is dealt.

Posted: July 24, 2019, 10:13 AM Post
wntrtxn21 said:
IntentionalHBP said:
ThisIsMyCrew said:

Three different sites list Thames' 2020 contract as a Player Option, not a team option.

Club Option.

"Thames signed for $4 million in 2017, $5 million in '18 and $6 million in '19. His contract includes a $7.5 million club option for 2020 with a $1 million buyout. He also can earn $500,000 per year in incentives for plate appearances."
https://www.mlb.com/news/brewers-add-eric-thames-on-three-year-deal/c-209796570

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 47 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply