Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 47 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Rays have expressed interest in Jesus Aguilar

Offline  Re: Devil Rays have expressed interest in Jesus Aguilar

Posted: July 24, 2019, 10:13 AM Post
bill hAll Star said:
LouisEly said:
Brew4U said:
Give me Colin Poche and it’s a deal.

My goodness, what pitch did he learn how to throw once he got to the pros?

And whoever taught him that pitch, offer him a promotion here.

Are you suggesting that he was a subpar minor league pitcher that suddenly blossomed in the pros?

He had an unlucky ERA in AAA over 27 innings this year and was otherwise unhittable prior to that.

I'm not sold on Poche either. He's allowed 17 ERs in only 22 IPs. A whopping 6 HRs in those 22 IPs. Yes he does strikeout guys, but the runs allowed and especially the dingers are disturbing. How will that play out at Miller Park?

Offline  Re: Rays have expressed interest in Jesus Aguilar

Posted: July 24, 2019, 10:14 AM Post
Riley O'Brien would be my top target from the Rays if we are trading Aguilar.

Posted: July 24, 2019, 10:16 AM Post
wntrtxn21 said:
IntentionalHBP said:
ThisIsMyCrew said:
Thames is due $7.5 mil next year with his player option, I’m assuming he will exercise that.

Would we rather rid of that contract instead of Aguilars league min? Not discrediting Thames production this year, but for the money could we spend it better elsewhere? Teams would have to want Thames though, which could be a tough sell.

Team option not player option

Three different sites list Thames' 2020 contract as a Player Option, not a team option.

And many sites lists it as a team option, including ones that specialize on contracts/payrolls like Spotrac and Cot's contracts. Looking at the contract, and how the 2020 option is a salary increase and also lists a buyout, would make a team option seem a lot more likely.

Posted: July 24, 2019, 11:46 AM Post
This is a bit of a unique deadline in a lot of ways, but one thing in particular is lack of quality RH bats. The Rays have reportedly also shown interest in Castellanos and Pence, them and Jose Abreu are the only RH bats I can think of that are at least somewhat available and quality bats. The White Sox are reportedly being dumb and planning to not move Abreu, or maybe that was just posturing. But add in there are quite a few teams that could use a quality RH bat...especially considering how lefthanded so many of the contending teams are. Yankees, Dodgers, Cubs, and Red Sox all have a majority LH SP...I think that and an oddly low number of quality RH bats available makes me think now might be the best time to sell Aguilar. That and he's heating up, which every team knows...so it's not like they can look at his season line and justify a lowball offer.

I'll also add, the Rays being interested tells me Aguilar is probably more valuable than most people think. That FO for whatever reason seems to be light years ahead of most other FO. I always wonder how teams like that don't have the Yankees and Red Sox offering double or triple salaries to their best people...maybe it happens, but I would think eventually the Rays would stop having the best FO and such excellent talent development if that were the case.

Posted: July 24, 2019, 11:58 AM Post
Another writer noting the interest in Aguilar.

https://twitter.com/ByRobertMurray/stat ... 9439517697

Posted: July 24, 2019, 6:30 PM Post
I think this might be close to what the Brewers could get for Aguilar.

Brewers receive: Poche and McClanahan
Rays receive: Aguilar

It works on the trade simulator but I am thinking the Rays may value Poche more than Aguilar.

I would prefer O'Brien though as I believe he still hasn't fully grown yet at 6-4 and only 180lb.

Posted: July 31, 2019, 10:34 AM Post
Global Moderator
Eye Black said:
I wouldn’t mind taking a chance on RHP Jake Faria.

I don't gloat very often (or more accurately don't get much correct), but I'll chalk this one up as a win. [wink]

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 47 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply