LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

[ 10 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Zach Godley

Offline  Zach Godley

Posted: August 04, 2019, 7:59 PM Post
DFA'd by Diamondbacks

Was a stud in 2017 putting up a 139 ERA+ and 4.2 bWAR

Has had a rough past year and a half

Is controlled through 2022 though and if fixed could be a quality arm to add to the rotation

Offline  Re: Zach Godley

Posted: August 04, 2019, 8:07 PM Post
Global Moderator
He was very good two years ago, and if you are a believer in FIP he was pretty solid last year as well.

I know he has been awful this year, but I’m a little surprised the Dbacks didn’t get any interest at the trade deadline from someone looking for a cheap acquisition with longer term starter upside.

I think the problem with hoping the Brewers have chance is it ignores the fact he is likely valuable to a rebuilding team looking for rotation filler with lottery ticket upside. Since those teams get first right of refusal I would assume he ends up on the roster of a current bottom feeder.

Posted: August 05, 2019, 11:47 AM Post
Eye Black said:
He was very good two years ago, and if you are a believer in FIP he was pretty solid last year as well.

I know he has been awful this year, but I’m a little surprised the Dbacks didn’t get any interest at the trade deadline from someone looking for a cheap acquisition with longer term starter upside.

I think the problem with hoping the Brewers have chance is it ignores the fact he is likely valuable to a rebuilding team looking for rotation filler with lottery ticket upside. Since those teams get first right of refusal I would assume he ends up on the roster of a current bottom feeder.

Godley seems like the perfect pitcher for a team that's building to pick up. Under team control for several more years, had a breakout year, then a pretty solid year(at least based on FIP).

I'd be all for signing him, but I wouldn't be real confident that he'd be able to help us out much this year. He's had a big drop in velocity and that usually points to some type of issue with his arm. Guys don't just lose 3-4 MPH in their primes.

Still, worth the risk, but as you pointed out, likely too many teams who'd be interested in him as someone they could use for now and then hopefully flip in the near future.

I'd feel more confident if we had a certain pitching coach, but that Horse has been beaten and is getting pretty ripe...

Posted: August 05, 2019, 8:49 PM Post
He averaged the same MPH on his fastball this year as last year (89.9) and in 2017 it was (91.9)

Posted: August 06, 2019, 5:18 PM Post
mlloyd10 said:
He averaged the same MPH on his fastball this year as last year (89.9) and in 2017 it was (91.9)

Ok, I was going from the time they moved him to the pen until now(89.1). Naturally, his fastball ticked up a bit in the pen. But guys generally don't lose nearly 3 MPH in velocity between 27 and 29. Especially guys who are just starting out in their career.

Either way, he's not throwing as hard and he's struggled and now the D-backs are cutting a cheap pitcher as they're starting a rebuilding phase. That's troubling. It's not like the Yankees or Astros doing it, a team that has very pressing 25 man and 40 man concerns, but a team that just traded their ace, MVP, among others, since the end of last year.

Posted: August 06, 2019, 7:09 PM Post
I think I'd rather take a shot on Kyle Barroclough.

Posted: August 06, 2019, 10:24 PM Post
adambr2 said:
I think I'd rather take a shot on Kyle Barroclough.

I would take a shot on him. We would still have 2 years of control of him after this season as well.

Posted: August 07, 2019, 7:59 AM Post
I'd take a flier on Godley. Even this year his FIP is a run better than his ERA, and he's held the opponent scoreless in 6 of his last 8 appearances out of the pen. Besides, there's no other way of adding arms and the Brewers are losing them at a rate of one a week.

Posted: August 07, 2019, 9:37 AM Post
Barnes... Barroclough... no difference.

Posted: August 07, 2019, 2:12 PM Post
https://twitter.com/BlueJays/status/115 ... 80386?s=20

Toronto Blue Jays
@BlueJays
OFFICIAL: We've claimed RHP Zack Godley off waivers from the
@Dbacks

To make room on the 40-man roster, RHP David Paulino has been designated for assignment.

[ 10 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply