LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next  [ 304 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Shortstop for 2020

Offline  Re: Shortstop for 2020
Posted: October 31, 2019, 8:06 PM Post
Are Sterling Castro's days at SS a thing of the past? He was released today

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 31, 2019, 9:00 PM Post
Global Moderator
Reds picks up Freddy Galvis' option today. For what it's worth, that may limit their interest in re-signing José Iglesias.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 31, 2019, 9:23 PM Post
Global Moderator
markedman5 said:
Are Sterling Castro's days at SS a thing of the past? He was released today

That's the general impression I get, but others probably know more. He hasn't played SS everyday for five years. You would think that if he could play SS passably that someone would have traded for him. If his glove work was decent, his bat would be more than adequate for the position.

But since no one has wanted the guy, you have to believe his glove is pretty sub standard.

I have to admit, he doesn't look the part of a SS anymore. He seems much bigger (230 lbs).

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 01, 2019, 9:44 AM Post
Brew4U said:
I look at Turang’s numbers and wonder why he’s the next guy in line though.

I'll tell you what I think: He still racks up a .338 OBP while in the Carolina League at age 19, 3.6 years BELOW league average.

He is a walk machine.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 01, 2019, 10:01 AM Post
Global Moderator
Brew4U said:
I look at Turang’s numbers and wonder why he’s the next guy in line though.

The only SS that played above Brice on the ladder this year were...

Devin Hairston, Luis Aviles, Bruce Caldwell, Jake Hager & Saladino.

Turang's numbers (especially considering age & scouting reports) are in a whole other dimension as those guys.

I guess you could make a case for Eduardo Garcia but he's 17 & yet to play stateside.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 01, 2019, 10:30 AM Post
Brice Turang is definitely a MLB ballplayer...but expecting anything in the next 2 or even 3 years may be quite wishful thinking. Arcia is not a placeholder and doesn't need to be. It isn't like the possible options we could go to are demanding 5 years deals. They are all one year or two year guys that also could be hypothetical bridges to Turang. But of course he is so far off the Brewers are expecting nothing out of him until further notice.

If they go Arcia it is because they find the options on the open market not a big enough difference to what Arcia provides. At this point I don't think the Brewers are banking on any kind of notable improvement out of Arcia.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 01, 2019, 10:43 AM Post
I think it's clear that Turang is next in line so far as in-house options go, but unlikely that he'll be taking the reigns from Arcia. He's not close enough, and Arcia not producing enough, to assume there won't be someone brought in from outside to bridge the gap.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 01, 2019, 2:01 PM Post
Global Moderator
brewmann04 said:
@SS money can be spent elsewhere.

wut

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Shortstop for 2020
Posted: November 01, 2019, 2:02 PM Post
homer said:
brewmann04 said:
@SS money can be spent elsewhere.

wut

[laughing] [laughing] [laughing] [laughing] [laughing] [laughing]

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 01, 2019, 5:27 PM Post
For what it's worth CBS website listed Brewers prominently as suitor for Gregorious

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 01, 2019, 7:49 PM Post
Global Moderator
I'm not against Gregorious, but consider that money spent on Didi is money that can't be spent on Moose or Grandal. All these things are (obviously) connected.

As others have said, SS is the easiest, clearest place to add wins. Unless you're of the mind that Arcia is going to suddenly add 50 points of OBP, this is the best place to add offense. And no, that's not moving Moose or Shaw to SS. I would guess that adding some one like Gregorious means moving on from Moose and giving Shaw at least a partial shot at regaining the trust to play 3B and produce some offense.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 01, 2019, 8:10 PM Post
I really think they are going to non tender Shaw........Stearns certainly didn't sound confident that he would bounce back in his end of year news conference.

I guess we will find out by Dec. 2nd

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 02, 2019, 7:47 AM Post
Gregarious is expensive, and I'm a little worried about the OBP. Career low of .276 in 2019 - Orlando Arcia's was at .283 for 2019.

He is an upgrade over Arcia in terms of power. He averaged 19 home runs a year from 2015 to 2019. His career OPS is 90 points higher than Arcia's, but the bulk of that is in SLG.

I'd prefer to try to pry Eigoro Mogi (https://www.baseball-reference.com/regi ... gi--000eig) from NPB (.348 career OBP, .767 career OPS) or Ha-Seong Kim (https://www.baseball-reference.com/regi ... m---001ha-) from KBO (.368 career OBP, .858 career OPS). Both play SS, both have demonstrated superb OBP skills, and both will arguably be cheaper than Didi.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 02, 2019, 8:03 AM Post
clancyphile said:
Gregarious is expensive, and I'm a little worried about the OBP. Career low of .276 in 2019 - Orlando Arcia's was at .283 for 2019.

He is an upgrade over Arcia in terms of power. He averaged 19 home runs a year from 2015 to 2019. His career OPS is 90 points higher than Arcia's, but the bulk of that is in SLG.

I'd prefer to try to pry Eigoro Mogi (https://www.baseball-reference.com/regi ... gi--000eig) from NPB (.348 career OBP, .767 career OPS) or Ha-Seong Kim (https://www.baseball-reference.com/regi ... m---001ha-) from KBO (.368 career OBP, .858 career OPS). Both play SS, both have demonstrated superb OBP skills, and both will arguably be cheaper than Didi.

It would depend on the money for either one of those guys. Plus their stats are from an AA or AAA type leagues where few pitchers have the speed they see in the majors. Remember, Arcia had a .347 OBP at AA and a .417 OBP in Colo. Springs. Maybe Mogi or Kim would be better, maybe not. I'd rather they go after Iglesis than Gregorius or either Mogi or Kim.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 02, 2019, 10:18 AM Post
clancyphile said:

If you are going to throw darts at the dart board and hope something hits you might as well just hang on to Arcia. A proven upgrade is what is needed otherwise it's probably not worth it.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 02, 2019, 11:58 AM Post
82brewcrew82 said:
clancyphile said:

If you are going to throw darts at the dart board and hope something hits you might as well just hang on to Arcia. A proven upgrade is what is needed otherwise it's probably not worth it.

We know who Arcia is, though.

Someone like Mori or Kim looks to be better on several grounds - particularly their walk rate.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Shortstop for 2020
Posted: November 02, 2019, 1:27 PM Post
clancyphile said:
82brewcrew82 said:
clancyphile said:

Someone like Mori or Kim looks to be better on several grounds - particularly their walk rate.

In a league that is the equivalent of AA baseball.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 02, 2019, 2:09 PM Post
Global Moderator
I'm not against going after some rando guy from a foreign league, but that shouldn't be The Plan for the starting shortstop for next year. Throw the stats out in a league that's AA equivalent. That stuff doesn't translate to big leagues. Bring one of those guys in and give him a shot at playing a few days a week and see if he can produce. I'm ok with that, but that shouldn't be the plan for a guy you plan to get 500 - 600 plate appearances.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 03, 2019, 8:45 AM Post
clancyphile said:

But we don't know who Arcia is. He is only going to be 25 and was at once a top 15 prospect in all of baseball. I believe he is running out of time, but I don't think Stearns would replace him with another unknown. Arcia still has potential and could improve and be a 700-750 OPS good fielding SS like he did in 2017 as a 22 year old.

I'd prefer an upgrade at ss but without a obvious upgrade available that we can afford, I think they roll with Arcia for another year. I would love a Sogard to be brought in as a platoon (insurance) but that depends on what his market will be and whether other teams think he is a starting caliber player.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 03, 2019, 9:24 PM Post
markedman5 said:
I really think they are going to non tender Shaw........Stearns certainly didn't sound confident that he would bounce back in his end of year news conference.

I guess we will find out by Dec. 2nd

They aren't going to just cut him loose without a significantly better alternative. Right now they don't have that. Until/unless they do, he will remain on the roster.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next  [ 304 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply