LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  [ 304 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Shortstop for 2020

Offline  Re: Shortstop for 2020
Posted: November 04, 2019, 8:46 PM Post
turborickey said:
Brew4U said:
turborickey said:
What will Arcia's attitude be like if we went the route mentioned above? I can see him not liking that situation one single bit and becoming a problem in the clubhouse.

[rolling eyes] Give me a break. You based this on what?

Over-react much?

I asked a simple question. What will Arcia's attitude be if he is demoted to a late inning replacement?

I'm not basing it on anything, I am stating what could happen, and it wouldn't surprise me if the situation happened, that he would be extremly unhappy, which could cause issues in the clubhouse.

I would imagine that being on a major league bench would be better for Arcia than going down to the minors again, which would be another possibility. He didn't seem to be a problem last year after going down and eventually coming back up. If he plays well, he'll play more ... it's that simple. These guys are pros. They know that if they don't produce, they aren't going to play.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 04, 2019, 8:54 PM Post
owbc said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
sveumrules said:
Arcia & Iglesias will probably cost a relatively cheap 6-7 million combined & you get both a high floor with Jose (1.5+ WAR each of last five seasons) & the possibility of maybe some magic with Orlando.

That might be the best bet. Get a regular starter in Iglesias who is by no means a world beater, but can provide some consistency. Keep Orlando as a sub that can come in and provide late game defense (with Iglesias shifting to 2B for Hiura), and play when you can capitalize off Arcia's hot streaks. I'm just not comfortable giving up on Orlando completely.

I could see it. It would not get the Brewers to league average SS production but at least it would (most likely) get them out of last place.

The Brewers do not have the luxury of acting like a "contending team" in this situation...a "contending team" might trade minor leaguers for a better SS but we do not have much in the system to trade. It might be different if the FA market was better, but .800+ OPS shortstops with plus defense are a rare commodity. That's why Arcia will probably be the opening day SS in 2020. And there is a decent chance he will be there in 2021 and 2022 as well.

Imo Iglesis gets them to better than avg. at SS. Not top OPS (.734) guy, but he's a better than avg. fielder and a good hitter. He would be a significant upgrade over Arcia.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 04, 2019, 8:57 PM Post
By all accounts he’s a great clubhouse guy. There’s never been a mention of him ever being a bad teammate. He’s supported by many. These things just don’t sit well with me when it seems as though the Latin American players get questioned quite a bit with things like this. It’s as bad as “he doesn’t care, he’s always laughing and smiling” takes.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 04, 2019, 8:59 PM Post
Brew4U said:
By all accounts he’s a great clubhouse guy. There’s never been a mention of him ever being a bad teammate. He’s supported by many. These things just don’t sit well with me when it seems as though the Latin American players get questioned quite a bit with things like this. It’s as bad as “he doesn’t care, he’s always laughing and smiling” takes.

Race has nothing to do with my comment whatsoever. Playing that card is asinine.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  [ 304 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply