LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18  Next  [ 343 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Shortstop for 2020

Offline  Re: Shortstop for 2020

Posted: August 19, 2019, 8:14 PM Post
I have to think the Tigers will be committing to Willi Castro at SS later this season or in 2020.
Jordy Mercer is another option to consider as a bridge SS candidate

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Shortstop for 2020

Posted: August 23, 2019, 8:38 AM Post
Dare I say...Eric Sogard?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 23, 2019, 9:01 AM Post
Devinep said:
Dare I say...Eric Sogard?

I was checking Sogard's defense over his career, in 3,385 innings he only has 25 errors. For reference Braun had 26 errors in 945.1 innings at 3B. That is an average of an error every 15 games playing 9 innings of defense for Sogard. Keston Hiura, error every 5 games.

Yes, mostly has played 2B...but still kinda impressive to limit errors that much.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 23, 2019, 10:34 AM Post
Sogard is in the interesting category of DJ Lemaheiu, Tommy LaStella, Urshela, and a handful of others.

If they keep the same baseballs next year, I'd pay Sogard $10 million. If they change the balls back to whatever they had before, I'd pay $10 million for someone else to take him.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 23, 2019, 10:37 AM Post
I’d rather sign Villar.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 23, 2019, 11:10 AM Post
Not sure I would want to get more left handed in the everyday lineup by adding Sogard to the mix.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 23, 2019, 11:15 AM Post
RollieTime said:
Not sure I would want to get more left handed in the everyday lineup by adding Sogard to the mix.

Sogard has a relatively even split over his career in RHP/LHP splits. Average a bit higher against RHP but does slug better most years vs. LHP.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 23, 2019, 12:43 PM Post
Are we really talking about Sogard returning to Milwaukee?

*sigh*

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 23, 2019, 12:59 PM Post
turborickey said:

*sigh*

Juiced baseball Eric Sogard is a good player. The ball has turned several players that were contact hitters that can hit the ball to all fields into superstars or useful players.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 23, 2019, 1:30 PM Post
I’d rather sign Villar.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 23, 2019, 2:49 PM Post
Brew4U said:
I’d rather sign Villar.

Harder to sign guys when they aren’t free agents

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 23, 2019, 4:19 PM Post
bill hAll Star said:
turborickey said:

*sigh*

Juiced baseball Eric Sogard is a good player. The ball has turned several players that were contact hitters that can hit the ball to all fields into superstars or useful players.

Yeah, in 93 games this year he's got 13 HR. The other 584 games in his career he's got 11.

LaStella had 10 HR in 396 career games going into this year. This year he's played in 78 games and has 16 HR.

Anybody who signs them to a contract after this season is banking on Happy Fun Ball returning next year.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 24, 2019, 9:02 AM Post
bill hAll Star said:
turborickey said:

*sigh*

This is interesting. May explain why some are having better seasons (better hit tool/contact) versus others such as Corey Ray, who doesn't have a good hit tool/not a contact hitter.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 24, 2019, 9:06 AM Post
LouisEly said:
bill hAll Star said:
turborickey said:

*sigh*

This is interesting. May explain why some are having better seasons (better hit tool/contact) versus others such as Corey Ray, who doesn't have a good hit tool/not a contact hitter.

I have a feeling that if prime Lyle Overbay played today, he'd by up in that Anthony Rizzo/Joey Votto territory.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 24, 2019, 12:04 PM Post
Global Moderator
If one were to sign Eric Sogard for any kind of money theyre running tje risk of paying for pre juiced ball eric sogard. Not a risk worth taking. Imo of course

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 24, 2019, 6:04 PM Post
Spangenberg?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 24, 2019, 8:32 PM Post
balsamlaker said:
Spangenberg?

Nooooooooo!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 25, 2019, 6:03 PM Post
Ehire Adrianza (remember him?) is arby-eligible this offseason, and with the Twins committed to Jorge Polanco through at least 2023 and Luis Arraez adjusting to the majors quite nicely, maybe the Twins don't want to pay a backup SS the $2-2.5M he may command in arby.

He hasn't really had a spike in power this year - the increase in SLG is pretty much due to an increase in BA and OBP, as his ISO is only slightly higher than last year - but he is walking more and striking out less this year. I'm sure some of his career year is exactly that and he may easily regress, but an almost 10% BB rate and only 14.6% K rate is fairly appealing and pretty much independent of the ball being juiced.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 26, 2019, 10:28 AM Post
Here are some of the Rule 5 draft players I have found a little bit interesting some are unrealistic as they have only reached AA and will probably be protected, I have also not checked all of them to see if they have been recently added to their teams 40 man rosters.

Jose Gomez SS Phillies (AA) .265/.320/.356
Luis Carpio SS Mets (AA) .254/.340/.344
Nick Gordon SS Twins (AAA) .298/.342/.459
Cristian Santana 1B/3B/SS Dodgers (AA) .303/.322/.439
Jonathan Arauz SS/2B/3B Astros (AA) .232/.308/.366

Gordon is probably the most unrealistic option but if the Twins wanted to trade him it would be for someone like Woodruff.

Jose Gomez or Cristian Santana maybe the more realistic options. Gomez has no where to play for the Phillies and the same for Santana with the Dodgers. I am not sure what the Dodgers or the Phillies would require for either of these players but these two I believe are probably the more realistic options to replace Arcia at some point next year.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 26, 2019, 11:05 AM Post
Man, with all due respect because I know you're just posting some options...players that are slugging sub-.360 in AA or horrible AVG/OPS should not be major league options.

Gordon seems to be the only player that I could see as an option and I'd imagine that the Twins protect him.

That's like going after Luis Sardinas to start for our contending team.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18  Next  [ 343 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply