LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  [ 64 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Trading Hiura

Offline  Re: Trading Hiura

Posted: September 09, 2019, 8:52 AM Post
I'd slightly disagree in that he's fairly athletic/fast so it would kind of suck to not find someplace he can adequately play other than 1B/DH. I'm not saying he's like Javy Baez athletic or something, just saying he's not a bigger guy who's a stiff that you normally put at DH/1B. If the arm is that bad with strength, then it seems 2B or bust. To me the issues have been accuracy on throws. Reduce the absolutely brutally inaccurate throws by half and it moves him towards respectability really quickly.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 09, 2019, 9:47 AM Post
tmwiese55 said:
I'd slightly disagree in that he's fairly athletic/fast so it would kind of suck to not find someplace he can adequately play other than 1B/DH. I'm not saying he's like Javy Baez athletic or something, just saying he's not a bigger guy who's a stiff that you normally put at DH/1B. If the arm is that bad with strength, then it seems 2B or bust. To me the issues have been accuracy on throws. Reduce the absolutely brutally inaccurate throws by half and it moves him towards respectability really quickly.

I'm not trying to say he is Eric Thames slow/unathletic...but he certainly isn't going to cover a ton of ground or make up for bad instincts with his speed. If we couldn't stand watching Khris Davis in the OF I would really hate to see Hiura out there. Any struggle in addition to his arm would nosedive his OF defense to scary territory. I guess I would rather take -2.5 WAR at 2B over moving him to the OF and getting -2.0 WAR because of less opportunities to screw up...just for example sake. I think he is more competent than a Ryan Braun who was a -3.0 WAR guy in just 113 games at 3B.

I think he can improve, but I doubt it really ever gets great. I am hoping he can get to a Rickie Weeks level of defense at worst. Which would require a big reduction in errors as his range/arm aren't ever going to give him bonus points on defense. His double play turning has been a pleasant surprise on a positive note. I was expecting that to be worse than it is.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 09, 2019, 5:35 PM Post
I'm guessing Hiura will be like Jeff Kent...a poor defender that you can live with considering the offensive impact he has.

He was on pace to pretty much be a 4.5 - 5.0 WAR player had he been in the big leagues since opening day and was with the team for all 170+ days of the regular season. If he was a great defender at 2B, he might have the upside of an 8 - 10 WAR player per year. Even if he doesn't improve defensively, he still has 5 - 6 WAR upside with his offensive capabilities...and generally nobody complains about players who post 5+ WAR in a season.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 10, 2019, 7:35 AM Post
I'm guessing much of Hiura's issues with throwing accuracy come from positioning in shifts - many times the 2B winds up playing shallow RF or directly behind 2B, which makes those throws much longer or from a different angle than where second basemen would traditionally field a ball and throw to first. I think his arm is strong enough to play the position, but he needs more work making the variety of throws the 2B position requires considering all the shifting.

His glovework is ok, however Hiura's hands are like stones at times that lead to dropping throws on tag plays or struggling to field sharply hit balls. That can be improved over time, too.

I doubt Hiura is in the running for any gold gloves at the Keystone position, and that's just fine. If he hits to his abilities and marginally improves defensively he's a 6-8 WAR player over the course of a MLB season, which is fringe MVP range for a second baseman.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  [ 64 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply