LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 53 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Lyles extension?

Offline  Re: Lyles extension?

Posted: September 04, 2019, 6:57 AM Post
No reason to do anything with Lyles before free agency. Let the season play out first. A month ago we were all certain Anderson would be in the rotation next season and his option was a no brainer. Now after a few blow up starts we are less certain.

I don't really see why Lyles would cost much more than he did in 2019 though.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 04, 2019, 7:10 AM Post
How about getting Pomeranz locked up as well? The guy looks like he could be a premier bullpen piece.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 04, 2019, 7:21 AM Post
long ball said:
No reason to do anything with Lyles before free agency. Let the season play out first. A month ago we were all certain Anderson would be in the rotation next season and his option was a no brainer. Now after a few blow up starts we are less certain.

I don't really see why Lyles would cost much more than he did in 2019 though.

With each good start from here on out we can probably add a million or two to his contract.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 04, 2019, 7:25 AM Post
JohnBriggs12 said:
How about getting Pomeranz locked up as well? The guy looks like he could be a premier bullpen piece.

Him and Lyles locked up for 2 or 3 years would be a no-brainer.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 04, 2019, 7:58 AM Post
It's just as likely he'll have 2-3 bad starts to finish and this is all moot. Hope he keeps doing well but locking yourself into a 3 year deal with someone with his track record based on 7 good games is probably not wise and not needed based on market. Very unlikely teams are going to be beating down his door to hand him 3 year guaranteed deals of any substantial money. Something for next year and some team friendly options, sure you can probably talk.

Same with Pomeranz and at least he has a fairly good track record to go off.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 04, 2019, 9:14 AM Post
I'd honestly be shocked if Lyles gets more than like $4mm guaranteed even if he has 4-5 more good starts down the stretch.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 04, 2019, 6:14 PM Post
tmwiese55 said:
It's just as likely he'll have 2-3 bad starts to finish and this is all moot. Hope he keeps doing well but locking yourself into a 3 year deal with someone with his track record based on 7 good games is probably not wise and not needed based on market. Very unlikely teams are going to be beating down his door to hand him 3 year guaranteed deals of any substantial money. Something for next year and some team friendly options, sure you can probably talk.

Same with Pomeranz and at least he has a fairly good track record to go off.

I think Pomeranz has looked good as a reliever, not a starter. He would be in the reliever as a Brewer and a nice lefty combination to go with Hader for next year. This would be a good time to talk 2 yr. deal with him.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 05, 2019, 12:58 PM Post
long ball said:
I'd honestly be shocked if Lyles gets more than like $4mm guaranteed even if he has 4-5 more good starts down the stretch.

I don't see an injury history that is going to scare teams off. Assuming he does okay through the end of the season, someone will give him at least a 2 year-$10M deal. Chacin got a 2 year $15.5M deal.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 06, 2019, 6:46 AM Post
Roderick said:
long ball said:

I don't see an injury history that is going to scare teams off. Assuming he does okay through the end of the season, someone will give him at least a 2 year-$10M deal. Chacin got a 2 year $15.5M deal.

After 32 starts of good baseball. He also had a track record of being fairly competent for quite a few years at one point prior to that year. He has never thrown more than 140 or so innings and the few times he did were a complete disaster. He has no track record.

He could get 2 years....but it is a push. He would have to have a team really believe in the good he did this year even though the supporting stats don't like it (high 4 FIP). His success looks luck based. For example his H/9 is 10 over his career and is currently sporting a ridiculous 6.3 H/9 right now for us. Considering he gives up homers at a decent clip that H/9 being realistic would skyrocket his ERA alone. It goes far past that too, he isn't Clayton Kershaw.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 21, 2019, 6:56 AM Post
This is all under a pay wall with the Athletic but Robert Murray had a podcast on the 16th indicating the Brewers are in preliminary talks for a new deal with Lyles, no money mentioned. He also just did an article on Lyles where he mentioned the Astros showed strong interest in Lyles before the Brewers swooped in and made a deal. Also gave credit to Grandal in Lyles improvement and the confidence in Lyles curveball.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 21, 2019, 7:33 AM Post
Outlander said:
This is all under a pay wall with the Athletic but Robert Murray had a podcast on the 16th indicating the Brewers are in preliminary talks for a new deal with Lyles, no money mentioned. He also just did an article on Lyles where he mentioned the Astros showed strong interest in Lyles before the Brewers swooped in and made a deal. Also gave credit to Grandal in Lyles improvement and the confidence in Lyles curveball.

This is wonderful news, looks like it might get done.

Lyles Woodruff Houser Burnes, that’s some serious talent in the rotation moving forward. This pitching staff might not need much upgrading after all. Lots of options for Stearns this offseason. Do we take the option on Anderson or save the 8.5? Keep or trade Davies? Try to re-sign Gio? Sign another FA pitcher for the rotation?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 21, 2019, 8:19 AM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
Outlander said:

Lyles Woodruff Houser Burnes, that’s some serious talent in the rotation moving forward. This pitching staff might not need much upgrading after all. Lots of options for Stearns this offseason. Do we take the option on Anderson or save the 8.5? Keep or trade Davies? Try to re-sign Gio? Sign another FA pitcher for the rotation?

I have said it before, but I almost feel it is an afterthought they are declining the option on Anderson (or trading him if someone wants him for that price). They could sign a Lyles/Gio for similar money I’d imagine, worst case.

They simply don’t like Anderson. Very rarely letting him go more than 4/5 innings even when cruising. They don’t want a pitcher who only goes two times through the line up making 30 starts. Only reason it happened this year is by need. I don’t see them paying $8.5mil to stash him in the pen if we need him due to serious need again.

They seem to like Lyles and trust him a lot more. I fully expect the Anderson money to go into a different rotation arm this winter. Be that Lyles or someone else. I don’t think I’d expect a return of Gio...much like Anderson the leash is very short on him.

I could be wrong, but I feel at the $8mil price tag they will find someone they like more.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 21, 2019, 11:59 AM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
Outlander said:

Appreciate the optimism, and while you didn't necessarily say he's be in from the jump, there's no way I see Burnes being in the rotation out of Spring Training next year. That's much too risky as we saw this year. Best case for him is starting the year out in the pen or regrouping in the rotation at AAA and maybe even AA as some have suggested employing the Doc Halladay strategy.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 53 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply