LambeauLeap1250 WSSP


  
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  [ 105 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Gerrit Cole

Author Message
Offline  Re: Gerrit Cole
#61

Posted: October 11, 2019, 9:42 AM Post
Posts: 3741
Gerrit Cole will likely be a Yankee or Dodger

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Gerrit Cole
#62

Posted: October 11, 2019, 9:46 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 10649
3and2Fastball said:
Gerrit Cole will likely be a Yankee or Dodger


Sadly, I agree, however, I think there is a chance the Astros keep him.

Please, please, don't let him go to the Cubs or Cardinals.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Gerrit Cole
#63

Posted: October 11, 2019, 10:22 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 13663
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Unless his arm is about to blow up. Then the Cubs and Cards can sign him.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Gerrit Cole
#64

Posted: October 11, 2019, 10:28 AM Post
Posts: 4812
Location: Madison, WI
I don't recall if I mentioned in here or not but don't sleep on Angels with Cole either. He's from that area of LA and grew up a fan, they have to try to win with Trout, Pujols money only has I think 2 years left. Their weakness is pitching, add in Cole and Ohtani next year and that's a huge improvement on that end.

Dodgers though do have a bunch of dead money falling off this year, I think, don't hold me to that. And I think managed to get under the Tax this year to reset. So I'd expect a bidding war on Cole.

But I'd still pick Houston to re-sign if I had to choose. They're a huge city too and currently only have to pay one of their position player studs real money in Altuve. They should be able to pony up the money to keep this going. If they were concerned on money they shouldn't have gotten Greinke and devoted that money to resigning Cole.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Gerrit Cole
#65

Posted: October 11, 2019, 10:47 AM Post
Posts: 12150
Doubt the Cubs sign him and I really doubt the Cardinals do.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Gerrit Cole
#66

Posted: October 11, 2019, 10:55 AM Post
Posts: 5149
Location: New Berlin, WI
turborickey said:
3and2Fastball said:
Gerrit Cole will likely be a Yankee or Dodger


Sadly, I agree, however, I think there is a chance the Astros keep him.

Please, please, don't let him go to the Cubs or Cardinals.


Lol, I don't think either team has the payroll to afford Cole. When is the last time a guy won the Cy young in his walk year in his late 20s? You can look at Verlander, Degrom, and Sale extensions...and assume Cole is going to do better in both years and AAV than all of them. My guess is 6/200 for Cole.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Gerrit Cole
#67

Posted: October 11, 2019, 10:58 AM Post
Posts: 4645
tmwiese55 said:
I don't recall if I mentioned in here or not but don't sleep on Angels with Cole either. He's from that area of LA and grew up a fan, they have to try to win with Trout, Pujols money only has I think 2 years left. Their weakness is pitching, add in Cole and Ohtani next year and that's a huge improvement on that end.

Dodgers though do have a bunch of dead money falling off this year, I think, don't hold me to that. And I think managed to get under the Tax this year to reset. So I'd expect a bidding war on Cole.

But I'd still pick Houston to re-sign if I had to choose. They're a huge city too and currently only have to pay one of their position player studs real money in Altuve. They should be able to pony up the money to keep this going. If they were concerned on money they shouldn't have gotten Greinke and devoted that money to resigning Cole.


If you add the Angels, you have to add the Mets as well. The Mets have DeGrom and Thor... and Cole would make a nice upgrade over Wheeler. The Mets also get out from under the Lagares and Frazier contracts this offseason. That combines for about $24 million. They get out from under the Lowrie and Cespedes deals at the end of 2020.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/team ... acts.shtml

Gerrit Cole joining DeGrom and Thor lets the Mets match the Nationals rotation - or even exceed it if Strasburg opts out.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Gerrit Cole
#68

Posted: October 11, 2019, 11:02 AM Post
Posts: 5149
Location: New Berlin, WI
clancyphile said:
If you add the Angels, you have to add the Mets as well. The Mets have DeGrom and Thor... and Cole would make a nice upgrade over Wheeler. The Mets also get out from under the Lagares and Frazier contracts this offseason. That combines for about $24 million. They get out from under the Lowrie and Cespedes deals at the end of 2020.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/team ... acts.shtml

Gerrit Cole joining DeGrom and Thor lets the Mets match the Nationals rotation - or even exceed it if Strasburg opts out.


I don't think it happens, but wow that would be an incredibly terrifying rotation. I can't think of a better rotation in recent memory. Maybe the Hamels, Lee, Halladay, and Oswalt from the Phillies comes close.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Gerrit Cole
#69

Posted: October 11, 2019, 11:18 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 2633
KeithStone53151 said:
clancyphile said:
If you add the Angels, you have to add the Mets as well. The Mets have DeGrom and Thor... and Cole would make a nice upgrade over Wheeler. The Mets also get out from under the Lagares and Frazier contracts this offseason. That combines for about $24 million. They get out from under the Lowrie and Cespedes deals at the end of 2020.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/team ... acts.shtml

Gerrit Cole joining DeGrom and Thor lets the Mets match the Nationals rotation - or even exceed it if Strasburg opts out.


I don't think it happens, but wow that would be an incredibly terrifying rotation. I can't think of a better rotation in recent memory. Maybe the Hamels, Lee, Halladay, and Oswalt from the Phillies comes close.


We only saw it for half a season and Greinke has been iffy (but he's the Thor match, who is also up-and-down), but what about the current Astros rotation?


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Gerrit Cole
#70

Posted: October 11, 2019, 12:12 PM Post
Posts: 5149
Location: New Berlin, WI
bill hAll Star said:
KeithStone53151 said:
I don't think it happens, but wow that would be an incredibly terrifying rotation. I can't think of a better rotation in recent memory. Maybe the Hamels, Lee, Halladay, and Oswalt from the Phillies comes close.


We only saw it for half a season and Greinke has been iffy (but he's the Thor match, who is also up-and-down), but what about the current Astros rotation?


It's probably the next best example. Miley/Greinke probably aren't quite as good as any of the 4 phillies or Thor/Stroman. It's generally close but not quite as good. Cole/Verlander are probably comparable and maybe slightly better than Halladay/Lee. Regardless...another good example.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Gerrit Cole
#71

Posted: October 11, 2019, 12:18 PM Post
Posts: 4812
Location: Madison, WI
And somehow that Phils team didn't win a WS with all those guys. The year they won they only had Hamels. Then added all those other guys in Halladay, Lee, Oswalt and didn't win another. Not unlike the Nats and Dodgers of the last 7ish years.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Gerrit Cole
#72

Posted: October 11, 2019, 1:32 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 10649
Thor was quite unimpressive this past season...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Gerrit Cole
#73

Posted: October 11, 2019, 3:07 PM Post
Posts: 499
clancyphile said:
tmwiese55 said:
I don't recall if I mentioned in here or not but don't sleep on Angels with Cole either. He's from that area of LA and grew up a fan, they have to try to win with Trout, Pujols money only has I think 2 years left. Their weakness is pitching, add in Cole and Ohtani next year and that's a huge improvement on that end.

Dodgers though do have a bunch of dead money falling off this year, I think, don't hold me to that. And I think managed to get under the Tax this year to reset. So I'd expect a bidding war on Cole.

But I'd still pick Houston to re-sign if I had to choose. They're a huge city too and currently only have to pay one of their position player studs real money in Altuve. They should be able to pony up the money to keep this going. If they were concerned on money they shouldn't have gotten Greinke and devoted that money to resigning Cole.


If you add the Angels, you have to add the Mets as well. The Mets have DeGrom and Thor... and Cole would make a nice upgrade over Wheeler. The Mets also get out from under the Lagares and Frazier contracts this offseason. That combines for about $24 million. They get out from under the Lowrie and Cespedes deals at the end of 2020.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/team ... acts.shtml

Gerrit Cole joining DeGrom and Thor lets the Mets match the Nationals rotation - or even exceed it if Strasburg opts out.


From what Mets blogs have been saying they are looking for outfield help more than SP. They may re-sign Wheeler if the price doesn't get too blown up and look to FA for outfielders. They also have a couple of power arms coming up to go along with Thor and DeGrom.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Gerrit Cole
#74

Posted: October 31, 2019, 7:27 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 6571
Following last night’s World Series game 7 Gerrit Cole wore a Boras Corporation hat...


Image


...and was reportedly initially hesitant to speak to the media following the game telling a team employee, “I’m not an employee of the team.”

Just before he started talking with the media Cole stated, “I’m doing this interview as a representative of myself I guess.”


I know free agency doesn’t start for 5 more days, but I think Gerrit Cole signing season is officially open to highest bidder.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Gerrit Cole
#75

Posted: October 31, 2019, 7:32 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 9486
Eye Black said:
Following last night’s World Series game 7 Gerrit Cole wore a Boras Corporation hat...


Image


...and was reportedly initially hesitant to speak to the media following the game telling a team employee, “I’m not an employee of the team.”

Just before he started talking with the media Cole stated, “I’m doing this interview as a representative of myself I guess.”


I know free agency doesn’t start for 5 more days, but I think Gerrit Cole signing season is officially open to highest bidder.


Wow, after seeing that, I'm guessing we won't see him resigning with the Astros.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Gerrit Cole
#76

Posted: October 31, 2019, 8:01 AM Post
Posts: 1168
Location: Ohio
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Eye Black said:
Following last night’s World Series game 7 Gerrit Cole wore a Boras Corporation hat...


Image


...and was reportedly initially hesitant to speak to the media following the game telling a team employee, “I’m not an employee of the team.”

Just before he started talking with the media Cole stated, “I’m doing this interview as a representative of myself I guess.”


I know free agency doesn’t start for 5 more days, but I think Gerrit Cole signing season is officially open to highest bidder.


Wow, after seeing that, I'm guessing we won't see him resigning with the Astros.


Oh its possible (IF the Astros are the highest bidder). Just nobody sees that as likely.

Arte Moreno of the Angels has reserved multiple Brinks Trucks for this occasion...
Going back to Cali...


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Gerrit Cole
#77

Posted: October 31, 2019, 8:10 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 9884
Cole either be an Astro or Yankee next year.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Gerrit Cole
#78

Posted: October 31, 2019, 8:38 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 7074
Angels supposedly really want Cole, and he grew up near there (for whatever that's worth). Also, Angels have a huge need for starting pitching, and the owner said the team will be spending this offseason.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Gerrit Cole
#79

Posted: October 31, 2019, 9:47 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 10649
Kind of a dick, isn't he...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Gerrit Cole
#80

Posted: October 31, 2019, 9:59 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 9486
turborickey said:
Kind of a dick, isn't he...


That was my thought too. Pulling that crap minutes after your team lost Game 7 of the World Series? Really dude? To me, he solidified that the only team he really cares about is his bank account.

I know all these guys play for money, but most of them at least have a little tact.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  [ 105 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
  


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bill hAll Star, brewer2, MadScientist and 10 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search this forum (phpBB search):
Jump to:  
Search entire board (Google search):
Google
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Test