LambeauLeap1250 WSSP


  
Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next  [ 249 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Free Agent Starting Pitchers (not named Gerrit Cole)

Author Message
Offline  Re: Free Agent Starting Pitchers (not named Gerrit Cole)
Posted: January 28, 2020, 5:15 PM Post
Posts: 1304
Location: Ohio
FYI about Danny Salazar - he only wants to start (& keep a set routine). He was refusing to be a bullpen option over the last few years. 3+ years ago I (& many other fans) felt Salazar might have been a good weapon out of the pen. Then word got out his feelings about starting.

When Salazar finally gets a chance to start for Cleveland during 2019, he hides a groin issue from everyone until AFTER he got pummeled by Houston. IIRC he couldn't pitch over 91 MPH in that outing.

He tried to rehab again & got shelled in AA Akron. He then asked to go home & try to rehab in Tampa. Tribe approved.

Feel free to call this sour grapes but I believe there are many burnt bridges between Salazar & Tribe FO/ Tribe coaches/ Tribe fans.

Pursue him at your own risk & do so with eyes wide open...


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Free Agent Starting Pitchers (not named Gerrit Cole)
Posted: January 31, 2020, 3:03 PM Post
Posts: 2866
I know he's not a world beater but we already have one pitcher who can't pitch in Colorado. Why not 2?

Chad Bettis had bilateral hip surgery in August. It's a 6th month rehab. Makes me wonder if he'd take a 2 way deal. His numbers outside of Colorado are not terrible. 4.4 guy. Would be depth and a survivable starter if injury hit.

Also had a (small sample size warning) 10 road start 2018. 59.1 IP and a 2.88 ERA.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Free Agent Starting Pitchers (not named Gerrit Cole)
Posted: January 31, 2020, 10:56 PM Post
Posts: 4931
Take this with a grain of salt. Taijuan Walker was mentioned on MLBTR on him not being signed yet, but whatever team it was(mariners I believe) that were tied to him were still in talks with him. Now in the Comments thread an Arizona fan was pretty adamant that what occurred was Walker can't pass a physical, his arm is shot. That the 1IP the last game of the season was a sendoff for him by the DBacks. They had all intentions of not bringing him back since his shoulder or arm is basically damaged goods that wouldn't make it through another season. That initial interest from Seattle was deterred by a failed physical. Maybe whatever deal that goes down is just a way to send him off as a Mariner whom he was drafted by. Basically the explanation why you don't hear of teams looking to sign him when via the stats and his 1IP you'd think he'd be good to go for 2020. And shouldn't cost much with the upside of his past performances. They aren't going down that road because he's done for as a SP. I don't know why in regards to a RP though?

Again take it with a grain of salt, this theory was given by someone's comments to the article. I think 3 times I noticed the same story reply. I went to post this earlier today, but couldn't find this thread oddly. So there ya go.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Free Agent Starting Pitchers (not named Gerrit Cole)
Posted: January 31, 2020, 11:23 PM Post
Posts: 2866
There are a lot of interesting names that are eluding the reporters.

Walker, McHugh, Sanchez to name a few. It was recently stated Sanchez is going to miss most of this year due to a slow recovery. I really wouldn't be surprised by anything that comes out medically on some of these guys. If they were healthy they'd be long gone.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Free Agent Starting Pitchers (not named Gerrit Cole)
Posted: February 01, 2020, 9:53 AM Post
Posts: 5062
Bettis sounds intriguing...

But at the same time, even with Shelby Miller, the Brewers can populate the rest of the AAA rotation with a lot of young starters - Z. Brown, Supak, Burnes, and Jankins.

In the AA rotation, there's Zavolas, Francis, Bettinger, Ashby, and File.

Go down to Carolina, and it's Sunitsch, Lazar, Victor Castaneda, Webb, and Small.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Free Agent Starting Pitchers (not named Gerrit Cole)
Posted: February 01, 2020, 10:00 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 613
clancyphile said:
Bettis sounds intriguing...

But at the same time, even with Shelby Miller, the Brewers can populate the rest of the AAA rotation with a lot of young starters - Z. Brown, Supak, Burnes, and Jankins.

In the AA rotation, there's Zavolas, Francis, Bettinger, Ashby, and File.

Go down to Carolina, and it's Sunitsch, Lazar, Victor Castaneda, Webb, and Small.


Clancy ... this thread is about major league rotation options in 2020. Why are you mentioning names like Zavolas, Francis, Bettinger and the like? Those guys are all at least a year away at best, and the majority of them likely will never throw a major league pitch.

Please keep this thread on point with major league pitching options, instead of naming the guys pitching in High A that you like for the upteenth time.

Of the guys you mentioned, Supak and Burnes may make an impact this year. Brown possibly if he rebounds. Jankins might be a fill-in type down the road.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Free Agent Starting Pitchers (not named Gerrit Cole)
Posted: February 01, 2020, 11:32 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 11244
The Mariners have interest in adding free agent right-hander Taijuan Walker.

Walker was non-tendered by the Diamondbacks in December after missing the entire 2019 season while rehabbing from Tommy John surgery on his pitching elbow. Walker was drafted by the Mariners in the supplemental first round of the 2010 draft and spent a few seasons as an elite prospect. He debuted with the Mariners in 2013 and was eventually traded to Arizona along with Ketel Marte for Jean Segura, Mitch Haniger and Zac Curtis prior to the 2017 season. The simple fact that a former elite prospect like Walker is still a free agent nearly two months after being released is a good indication that teams do not believe he is healthy and ready to contribute in 2020. The 27-year-old will likely have to settle for a minor league deal somewhere. He has a career 31-31 record and 3.95 ERA in 94 starts and three relief outings.

Source: MLB.com
Feb 1, 2020, 11:47 AM ET

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Free Agent Starting Pitchers (not named Gerrit Cole)
Posted: February 01, 2020, 4:04 PM Post
Posts: 4931
turborickey said:
The Mariners have interest in adding free agent right-hander Taijuan Walker.

Walker was non-tendered by the Diamondbacks in December after missing the entire 2019 season while rehabbing from Tommy John surgery on his pitching elbow. Walker was drafted by the Mariners in the supplemental first round of the 2010 draft and spent a few seasons as an elite prospect. He debuted with the Mariners in 2013 and was eventually traded to Arizona along with Ketel Marte for Jean Segura, Mitch Haniger and Zac Curtis prior to the 2017 season. The simple fact that a former elite prospect like Walker is still a free agent nearly two months after being released is a good indication that teams do not believe he is healthy and ready to contribute in 2020. The 27-year-old will likely have to settle for a minor league deal somewhere. He has a career 31-31 record and 3.95 ERA in 94 starts and three relief outings.

Source: MLB.com
Feb 1, 2020, 11:47 AM ET


Yep that's the post I was referring to with the one commentor that Walker was done or toast whatever.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Free Agent Starting Pitchers (not named Gerrit Cole)
Posted: February 01, 2020, 5:15 PM Post
Posts: 2866
Right now I'd be content enough with Cashner (but tell Cashner he can go start on a horrible Os team or be in the pen of a playoff contender who just made Pom 9 mil per) and Bettis. DFA Williams or Yardley and Freitas. Bettis gets a 40 man Milb deal. Bettis starts the year in AAA Cashner starts in the pen and starts only if MKE is that far down the well.

Both should command under 2 mil.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/12/latest-on-chad-bettis.html Just screams MKE.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Free Agent Starting Pitchers (not named Gerrit Cole)
Posted: February 01, 2020, 10:30 PM Post
Posts: 5062
TJseven7 said:
Right now I'd be content enough with Cashner (but tell Cashner he can go start on a horrible Os team or be in the pen of a playoff contender who just made Pom 9 mil per) and Bettis. DFA Williams or Yardley and Freitas. Bettis gets a 40 man Milb deal. Bettis starts the year in AAA Cashner starts in the pen and starts only if MKE is that far down the well.

Both should command under 2 mil.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/12/latest-on-chad-bettis.html Just screams MKE.


I'd give Bettis a one-year $2 million deal with a club option at $5 million ($2 million buyout) for 2021 and a mutual option at $6 million ($1.5 million buyout) for 2022. DFA Feritas.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Free Agent Starting Pitchers (not named Gerrit Cole)
Posted: February 02, 2020, 5:03 AM Post
Posts: 752
clancyphile said:
TJseven7 said:
Right now I'd be content enough with Cashner (but tell Cashner he can go start on a horrible Os team or be in the pen of a playoff contender who just made Pom 9 mil per) and Bettis. DFA Williams or Yardley and Freitas. Bettis gets a 40 man Milb deal. Bettis starts the year in AAA Cashner starts in the pen and starts only if MKE is that far down the well.

Both should command under 2 mil.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/12/latest-on-chad-bettis.html Just screams MKE.


I'd give Bettis a one-year $2 million deal with a club option at $5 million ($2 million buyout) for 2021 and a mutual option at $6 million ($1.5 million buyout) for 2022. DFA Feritas.


What do you see in Bettis that you would want to pay him at all? 2019 was a disaster both home and away. Then hip surgery. He did ok away from home in 2018, but 2017 numbers were terrible again especially away from Colorado. Stearns passed on much better pitchers for less money.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Free Agent Starting Pitchers (not named Gerrit Cole)
Posted: February 02, 2020, 9:23 AM Post
Posts: 2191
Location: Madison, WI
The only thing that interests me in Bettis is his ground ball rate. There have been 149 pitchers that have thrown at least 180 innings over the last two years and Bettis ranks 6th in ground ball rate. Just looking at the stat sheet, he's pretty similar to Brett Anderson. Low strikeout, ground ball pitchers that come with durability questions. Anderson does do better in avoiding walks (Anderson = 2.18 BB/9, Bettis = 3.33 BB/9 over the last two years). But compensating for park/home runs allowed...Anderson has been a 4.51 xFIP pitcher and Bettis has been a 4.67 xFIP pitcher over the last two years.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Free Agent Starting Pitchers (not named Gerrit Cole)
Posted: February 02, 2020, 12:52 PM Post
Posts: 5062
JosephC said:
The only thing that interests me in Bettis is his ground ball rate. There have been 149 pitchers that have thrown at least 180 innings over the last two years and Bettis ranks 6th in ground ball rate. Just looking at the stat sheet, he's pretty similar to Brett Anderson. Low strikeout, ground ball pitchers that come with durability questions. Anderson does do better in avoiding walks (Anderson = 2.18 BB/9, Bettis = 3.33 BB/9 over the last two years). But compensating for park/home runs allowed...Anderson has been a 4.51 xFIP pitcher and Bettis has been a 4.67 xFIP pitcher over the last two years.


Not too much difference, and the high ground-ball rate could be a good fit for Miller Park/AmFam Field. Worth a flier.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Free Agent Starting Pitchers (not named Gerrit Cole)
Posted: February 02, 2020, 1:19 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 11244
Pretty sure it is still Miller Park through the end of the 2020 season. Why am I seeing so many calling it AmFam Field already?

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Free Agent Starting Pitchers (not named Gerrit Cole)
Posted: February 02, 2020, 2:02 PM Post
Posts: 2866
wntrtxn21 said:

What do you see in Bettis that you would want to pay him at all? 2019 was a disaster both home and away. Then hip surgery. He did ok away from home in 2018, but 2017 numbers were terrible again especially away from Colorado. Stearns passed on much better pitchers for less money.


I don't agree on the price with Clancy. I'd be more along the lines of 1.25 mil 2020 40 man spot MiLB deal. 2021 club option for 4 mil with a 250K buyout. Maybe toss in some MLB boosters.

I do agree that he's an interesting option that I want. 1st off I'm going to caution the 2017 2019 road splits being used. 1) Sample size is very very small. 2) He was coming back from having CANCER and going through CHEMO in 2017. One of my years in college we had a CB who went through that following his Senior year football season and fall camp as a freshman in college. He lost a TON of weight and was going to be cut until a few coaches were alerted to the situation. Kid rebounded massively with a healthy off season, his year 2 was night and day. Chemo is brutal. Also in 2019 he was used in the pen and that didn't suit him well, he was also pitching through pain in his hip all last year.

He recently stated he hasn't felt this healthy since before he had Cancer.

I think 2017 is a throw away. 2019 he was pitching through a lot of pain. 2015 and 2016 this guy was pretty even home and away. Not great but even.

Guys 31 and was a 2nd round pick. I don't think he's done yet. I don't think he's going to be much better than 4.0-4.4 range as a starter. But that's Anderson Houser insurance for a very cost effective price. I also don't see him as a durability concern. Guy had cancer and a nerve issue in his hip. The nerve issue is a full recovery in 6 months (for pro athletes) and rehab starts at 8 weeks after the procedure. It's not back, shoulder, elbow and arm stuff. It's not even reoccurring soft tissue issues. These two are pretty fluky and (hopefully) a 1 time fix.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Free Agent Starting Pitchers (not named Gerrit Cole)
Posted: February 02, 2020, 3:36 PM Post
Posts: 752
TJseven7 said:
wntrtxn21 said:

What do you see in Bettis that you would want to pay him at all? 2019 was a disaster both home and away. Then hip surgery. He did ok away from home in 2018, but 2017 numbers were terrible again especially away from Colorado. Stearns passed on much better pitchers for less money.


I don't agree on the price with Clancy. I'd be more along the lines of 1.25 mil 2020 40 man spot MiLB deal. 2021 club option for 4 mil with a 250K buyout. Maybe toss in some MLB boosters.

I do agree that he's an interesting option that I want. 1st off I'm going to caution the 2017 2019 road splits being used. 1) Sample size is very very small. 2) He was coming back from having CANCER and going through CHEMO in 2017. One of my years in college we had a CB who went through that following his Senior year football season and fall camp as a freshman in college. He lost a TON of weight and was going to be cut until a few coaches were alerted to the situation. Kid rebounded massively with a healthy off season, his year 2 was night and day. Chemo is brutal. Also in 2019 he was used in the pen and that didn't suit him well, he was also pitching through pain in his hip all last year.

He recently stated he hasn't felt this healthy since before he had Cancer.

I think 2017 is a throw away. 2019 he was pitching through a lot of pain. 2015 and 2016 this guy was pretty even home and away. Not great but even.

Guys 31 and was a 2nd round pick. I don't think he's done yet. I don't think he's going to be much better than 4.0-4.4 range as a starter. But that's Anderson Houser insurance for a very cost effective price. I also don't see him as a durability concern. Guy had cancer and a nerve issue in his hip. The nerve issue is a full recovery in 6 months (for pro athletes) and rehab starts at 8 weeks after the procedure. It's not back, shoulder, elbow and arm stuff. It's not even reoccurring soft tissue issues. These two are pretty fluky and (hopefully) a 1 time fix.


If I was Stearns I'd be ok with the $1.25 + .25 buy out in 2021. That would be value for an insurance policy type guy. Could start the year in San Antonio of 8th guy in the pen.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Free Agent Starting Pitchers (not named Gerrit Cole)
Posted: February 02, 2020, 4:29 PM Post
Posts: 2866
I'm also very interested to see what Cashner is waiting on. If he's holding out for a chunk of change he can hold his breath as long as he wants. If he's holding out for a "guaranteed" SP role he can go play for a bad team. If no one's stepping to the plate, he seems like the type MKE would pursue if his demands were reasonable.

Last year he scrapped his sinker and cutter. They were both horrible pitches for him. Started the year with 17 starts over 5.6 IP per start a 3.83 ERA and a 4.26 fip. His FB CH SL graded very well. The CB which he used a solid amount has never been a good pitch for him. I really think if he scrapped the CB as well he could have some late life in his career.

FB 50% up 2% (no sinkers), CH 30% up 2%, SL 20% up 7%, would be a good pitch mix for him by the numbers. 94-85-85 on the 3 pitches velocity. Now do you want him starting with a 3 pitch mix or in the pen is the real question.

He could be a very nice traditional long man on a 3 pitch mix. While that's usually seen as a garbage man position I think having a guy who can go 3-4IP and pitch sub 4 ERA ball isn't a bad thing to have.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Free Agent Starting Pitchers (not named Gerrit Cole)
Posted: February 02, 2020, 10:07 PM Post
Posts: 5062
TJseven7 said:
wntrtxn21 said:

What do you see in Bettis that you would want to pay him at all? 2019 was a disaster both home and away. Then hip surgery. He did ok away from home in 2018, but 2017 numbers were terrible again especially away from Colorado. Stearns passed on much better pitchers for less money.


I don't agree on the price with Clancy. I'd be more along the lines of 1.25 mil 2020 40 man spot MiLB deal. 2021 club option for 4 mil with a 250K buyout. Maybe toss in some MLB boosters.

I do agree that he's an interesting option that I want. 1st off I'm going to caution the 2017 2019 road splits being used. 1) Sample size is very very small. 2) He was coming back from having CANCER and going through CHEMO in 2017. One of my years in college we had a CB who went through that following his Senior year football season and fall camp as a freshman in college. He lost a TON of weight and was going to be cut until a few coaches were alerted to the situation. Kid rebounded massively with a healthy off season, his year 2 was night and day. Chemo is brutal. Also in 2019 he was used in the pen and that didn't suit him well, he was also pitching through pain in his hip all last year.

He recently stated he hasn't felt this healthy since before he had Cancer.

I think 2017 is a throw away. 2019 he was pitching through a lot of pain. 2015 and 2016 this guy was pretty even home and away. Not great but even.

Guys 31 and was a 2nd round pick. I don't think he's done yet. I don't think he's going to be much better than 4.0-4.4 range as a starter. But that's Anderson Houser insurance for a very cost effective price. I also don't see him as a durability concern. Guy had cancer and a nerve issue in his hip. The nerve issue is a full recovery in 6 months (for pro athletes) and rehab starts at 8 weeks after the procedure. It's not back, shoulder, elbow and arm stuff. It's not even reoccurring soft tissue issues. These two are pretty fluky and (hopefully) a 1 time fix.


As I said, I think Bettis is worth a look - and I'd take the chance on a deal that could go up to three years, $14 million. Partially because others have gone elsewhere. Partially because I think Bettis does nudge Houser to the bullpen, and that makes the pitching better.

2020: $2 million
2021: Team option for $5 million or $2 million buyout
2022: Mutual option for $7 million or $1.5 million buyout

You get a rotation of Woodruff, B.Anderson, Lindblom, Bettis, Lauer
Bullpen of Hader, Knebel, Peralta, Houser, Suter, Claudio, Rasmussen, Andrews


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Free Agent Starting Pitchers (not named Gerrit Cole)
Posted: February 04, 2020, 3:29 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 613
Bob Nightengale
@BNightengale
Taijuan Walker, 27, the former prized pitching prospect who has pitched just 14 innings the last two years, worked out in front of about 20 scouts today in hopes of landing a major-league contract. His fastball was clocked at 85-88 mph as he's coming back from Tommy John surgery.


This probably explains why Walker doesn't have a team. I know it's not even spring training yet, but topping out at 88 in a showcase is not ideal.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Free Agent Starting Pitchers (not named Gerrit Cole)
Posted: February 04, 2020, 4:47 PM Post
Posts: 2866
Ron Robinson's Beard said:
Bob Nightengale
@BNightengale
Taijuan Walker, 27, the former prized pitching prospect who has pitched just 14 innings the last two years, worked out in front of about 20 scouts today in hopes of landing a major-league contract. His fastball was clocked at 85-88 mph as he's coming back from Tommy John surgery.


This probably explains why Walker doesn't have a team. I know it's not even spring training yet, but topping out at 88 in a showcase is not ideal.


He's toast til 2021 at the earliest. 88 won't increase that much in-season. 88 won't cut it when in 2014-16 he was pitching at his best. Throwing that FB on average at 94. Guy needs to completely reinvent his mix. What a shame.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next  [ 249 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
  


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search this forum (phpBB search):
Jump to:  
Search entire board (Google search):
Google
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Test