LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  [ 249 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Free Agent Starting Pitchers (not named Gerrit Cole)

Offline  Re: Free Agent Starting Pitchers (not named Gerrit Cole)
Posted: February 04, 2020, 6:06 PM Post
Spring velocity is usually down 3 or 4 MPH at this point for everyone. I don't think you can just say he is toast because it is only 88 now. It is certainly someone hard to bet on as depth though. More likely you are signing him to rehab half the season first.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 04, 2020, 6:22 PM Post
He's maxing at 6 MPH under his average in 14-16.

That's asking him to improve roughly 8 MPH from now until he's back. People freak out about guys losing 1-2 MPH off their FB.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 04, 2020, 7:24 PM Post
Ennder said:
Spring velocity is usually down 3 or 4 MPH at this point for everyone.

I wouldn't imagine this would be the case for a guy in a showcase coming off injury. If there were ever a time to let it fly, it's when you're pitching for a job. I get the feeling too that he's done.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 05, 2020, 11:18 AM Post
Oh he probably is done, I mean it is the safe bet coming back from injuries and failing to get better. But to say this is somehow definite proof is just not true. Every year we go into spring and people are worried about a pitchers velocity being down 5+ MPH and most of the time it doesn't mean anything and sometimes it means a lot. People like to just deal in absolutes way too much.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 05, 2020, 4:00 PM Post
I think if any additions to be made it be in the pen. Think the rest of the roster is set depth wise

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 05, 2020, 9:40 PM Post
Ennder said:
Oh he probably is done, I mean it is the safe bet coming back from injuries and failing to get better. But to say this is somehow definite proof is just not true. Every year we go into spring and people are worried about a pitchers velocity being down 5+ MPH and most of the time it doesn't mean anything and sometimes it means a lot. People like to just deal in absolutes way too much.

Jeffress is a perfect example of this. He was throwing what, 85 MPH last year in actual game action? And that wasn’t in early February like it was for Walker. It’s definitely a concern, but he could realistically get back to 90-92 after a couple more months of throwing and building the arm strength back up.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 06, 2020, 10:05 AM Post
I think the workout pretty much eliminates Walker from major league contract status, but he still should be a split contract or minor league contract guy. His last full season he threw the fastball <60% of the time, and threw a slider, curveball, change-up all at least 10% of the time. His fastball has been by far his most effective pitch, but it's not like he's been a two-pitch guy. He has been a 4-pitch guy in the past and probably is at the point where he needs to re-make himself, work on pin-point fastball location and change speeds off that with the 3 other pitches. The guy is still only 27 years old and should be an interesting project for one of the MLB franchises.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 08, 2020, 11:26 AM Post
JosephC said:
I think the workout pretty much eliminates Walker from major league contract status, but he still should be a split contract or minor league contract guy. His last full season he threw the fastball <60% of the time, and threw a slider, curveball, change-up all at least 10% of the time. His fastball has been by far his most effective pitch, but it's not like he's been a two-pitch guy. He has been a 4-pitch guy in the past and probably is at the point where he needs to re-make himself, work on pin-point fastball location and change speeds off that with the 3 other pitches. The guy is still only 27 years old and should be an interesting project for one of the MLB franchises.

I wonder if a two-year minor-league contract would make sense in this case.

NRIs both years, opt-out after the first year.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 12, 2020, 1:02 PM Post
clancyphile said:
JosephC said:

I wonder if a two-year minor-league contract would make sense in this case.

NRIs both years, opt-out after the first year.

Jeff Passan
@JeffPassan
·
2m
Pitcher Taijuan Walker and the Seattle Mariners are in agreement on a one-year, $2 million contract, league sources tell ESPN. Walker can earn up to $3 million total based on incentives.

I have the feeling this is going to equate to throwing $2 million in the toilet.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  [ 249 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply