LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next  [ 208 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Free Agent Starting Pitchers (not named Gerrit Cole)

Offline  Re: Free Agent Starting Pitchers (not named Gerrit Cole)

Posted: November 20, 2019, 1:54 PM Post
Wheeler is way better than Lyles in just about every category that matters. The one that is most interesting is how does Lyles have a Negative Career WAR while Wheeler is 10.2 Career WAR. This isn't comparable. If the Brewers want to be cheap they go Lyles. if they want to get serious they open the pocketbook and spend a little bit..

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Free Agent Starting Pitchers (not named Gerrit Cole)

Posted: November 20, 2019, 1:59 PM Post
Jkromb said:
Wheeler is way better than Lyles in just about every category that matters. The one that is most interesting is how does Lyles have a Negative Career WAR while Wheeler is 10.2 Career WAR. This isn't comparable. If the Brewers want to be cheap they go Lyles. if they want to get serious they open the pocketbook and spend a little bit..

Wheeler's injury history scares the beejesus out of me. I also disagree that a signing of Lyles is any sort of indication that the Brewers aren't being "serious". Wheeler may be one of the more talented pitchers on the market, but that doesn't mean that signing him doesn't carry a lot of risk.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 20, 2019, 2:02 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Jkromb said:

Wheeler's injury history scares the beejesus out of me. I also disagree that a signing of Lyles is any sort of indication that the Brewers aren't being "serious". Wheeler may be one of the more talented pitchers on the market, but that doesn't mean that signing him doesn't carry a lot of risk.

Everyone has their "risks." Brewers havent been real willing to do much and thats why you see them not winning WS.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 20, 2019, 2:04 PM Post
Jkromb said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Jkromb said:

Everyone has their "risks." Brewers havent been real willing to do much and thats why you see them not winning WS.

Define "much". Because this team has been very active in recent years acquiring players both via trade and through free agency to get better.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 20, 2019, 2:13 PM Post
Wheeler's injury history scares the beejesus out of me. I also disagree that a signing of Lyles is any sort of indication that the Brewers aren't being "serious". Wheeler may be one of the more talented pitchers on the market, but that doesn't mean that signing him doesn't carry a lot of risk.[/quote]

Everyone has their "risks." Brewers havent been real willing to do much and thats why you see them not winning WS.[/quote]

Define "much". Because this team has been very active in recent years acquiring players both via trade and through free agency to get better.[/quote]

When was the last time they invested serious capital whether that be trade or free agency into a starting pitcher? and moreso on that line the last time they invested serious money into a pitcher?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 20, 2019, 2:17 PM Post
Jkromb said:
When was the last time they invested serious capital whether that be trade or free agency into a starting pitcher? and moreso on that line the last time they invested serious money into a pitcher?

Probably Garza, Lohse and Suppan via free agency. Track record certainly hasn't been stellar there.

Greinke was hit trade-wise, as was CC obviously.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 20, 2019, 3:36 PM Post
Giving a 4 year deal to Wheeler(which he'll probably command) is probably like giving a 3 year deal to Brandon Morrow. We all saw how that turned out, and Morrow was a reliever. It's even that much more risky for Wheeler.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 20, 2019, 3:37 PM Post
dont think those are very good examples.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 20, 2019, 3:38 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Jkromb said:

Probably Garza, Lohse and Suppan via free agency. Track record certainly hasn't been stellar there.

Greinke was hit trade-wise, as was CC obviously.

How does any Brewers fan not remember those guys??? Even signing Jhoulys Chacin wasn't exactly a sure thing when they took a shot on him as a free agent 2 seasons ago, it was modest at around 2 years $15M but still a risk.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 20, 2019, 3:43 PM Post
i remember them. They weren't big names. CC and Greinke are the only big name SP's the Brewers have had in the last 11 years.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 20, 2019, 3:47 PM Post
Jkromb said:

Oh interesting, another poster that doesn't realize the Brewers are on a budget and can't spend infinite money...

Why would you waste time with Wheeler when Cole and Strasburg are available?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 20, 2019, 3:54 PM Post
Jkromb said:
i remember them. They weren't big names. CC and Greinke are the only big name SP's the Brewers have had in the last 11 years.

Wow. I'd argue that Garza was every bit the "name" Wheeler was at the time of his signing. Suppan was considered a major "get" at the time as well, while Lohse was a big signing too. Just because those guys didn't put up huge numbers in there time at Brewers doesn't mean that they weren't considered very big acquisitions at the time.

In the end Suppan was a bust, but Garza and Lohse at least lived up to a big portion of their bug deals.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 20, 2019, 4:40 PM Post
Lohse was pretty good his first year.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 20, 2019, 6:19 PM Post
I wouldn't say Garza lived up to his deal. He had a pretty decent first year, it was mostly injuries and garbage after that. Very inconsistent. As soon as he'd get it going, he'd get hurt.

Wolfie, on the other hand, lived up to his until the last season. Lohse too.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 21, 2019, 12:26 AM Post
i know it hasn’t been talked about much, but could Strasburg be a target for the Brewers? I just have a hard time thinking the Brewers aren’t going to do something substantial with their starting pitching. Maybe not quite Strasburg level, but I do think that if the Brewers are serious about winning a World Series (which they are), they need to get a horse to rely on who can give the bullpen an easy day most of the time when he starts. Also, having a guy like him leading the rotation into the postseason that can start for you 2-3 times in a series is a must if you’re going to have a real shot at winning the whole thing.

There aren’t many of those guys available, but you need to have at least one guy like that to have a legit shot in the postseason. We can fill out the rest of the rotation with Davies/Houser types, but I think it’s time to get a guy. I’ve had a feeling that Stearns is going to surprise us with some big starting pitching acquisition this offseason with how it’s been mostly neglected the last few years and just how bad our rotation really was at times last season.

What would Strasburg be looking at for a deal? Would 6/$165 million get it done? The time is now with having a super star on a team friendly deal for 3 years. Our window is arguably that time frame. If we are rebuilding and have Strasburg under contract for a couple more years, it’s no big deal. If he’s pitching well, we move him and add some nice prospects down the road. If he loses effectiveness down the road, no harm done. I just think that it’s time to do something big with the rotation and I truly believe Stearns is going to do just that.

Having him and Woodruff making 5 starts combined in a series going 7 games sounds pretty darn good to me. Mix in Davies, Houser, and someone like Lyles for the regular season and we will have a very good rotation. Let’s bring in a workhorse and make a real run at a World Series.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 21, 2019, 12:43 AM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
Jkromb said:

Oh interesting, another poster that doesn't realize the Brewers are on a budget and can't spend infinite money...

Why would you waste time with Wheeler when Cole and Strasburg are available?

There is a major difference between being on a budget and saying you are poor and just not spending any money because you want to line your own pockets even more.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 21, 2019, 12:48 AM Post
RollieTime said:
i know it hasn’t been talked about much, but could Strasburg be a target for the Brewers? I just have a hard time thinking the Brewers aren’t going to do something substantial with their starting pitching. Maybe not quite Strasburg level, but I do think that if the Brewers are serious about winning a World Series (which they are), they need to get a horse to rely on who can give the bullpen an easy day most of the time when he starts. Also, having a guy like him leading the rotation into the postseason that can start for you 2-3 times in a series is a must if you’re going to have a real shot at winning the whole thing.

There aren’t many of those guys available, but you need to have at least one guy like that to have a legit shot in the postseason. We can fill out the rest of the rotation with Davies/Houser types, but I think it’s time to get a guy. I’ve had a feeling that Stearns is going to surprise us with some big starting pitching acquisition this offseason with how it’s been mostly neglected the last few years and just how bad our rotation really was at times last season.

What would Strasburg be looking at for a deal? Would 6/$165 million get it done? The time is now with having a super star on a team friendly deal for 3 years. Our window is arguably that time frame. If we are rebuilding and have Strasburg under contract for a couple more years, it’s no big deal. If he’s pitching well, we move him and add some nice prospects down the road. If he loses effectiveness down the road, no harm done. I just think that it’s time to do something big with the rotation and I truly believe Stearns is going to do just that.

Having him and Woodruff making 5 starts combined in a series going 7 games sounds pretty darn good to me. Mix in Davies, Houser, and someone like Lyles for the regular season and we will have a very good rotation. Let’s bring in a workhorse and make a real run at a World Series.

EXACTLY!!! Mark A has money that he can spend. often times we say oh well we can't compete with these big market teams, but it is so innaccuarate to the extent that people say it. Can they spend $200mill a year? No, but they could likely go to $160-$175 million for a few years and then go back down to a more moderate level (100-120mill a year).

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 21, 2019, 6:26 AM Post
Global Moderator
Jkromb said:

EXACTLY!!! Mark A has money that he can spend. often times we say oh well we can't compete with these big market teams, but it is so innaccuarate to the extent that people say it. Can they spend $200mill a year? No, but they could likely go to $160-$175 million for a few years and then go back down to a more moderate level (100-120mill a year).

You're basing that statement on what, exactly?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 21, 2019, 7:10 AM Post
PeaveyFury said:
Jkromb said:

You're basing that statement on what, exactly?

Why does it feel like Groundhog Day?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 21, 2019, 10:17 AM Post
Jkromb said:
RollieTime said:

Where did you come up with the $175M figure and how do you know M.A. can spend that much for 3-4 years? As far as I know, Mark A nor Stearns has ever come out with a figure on max spending.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next  [ 208 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply