LambeauLeap1250 WSSP


  
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  [ 137 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

What is your 2019-2020 offseason plan for the Brewers?

Author Message
Offline  Re: What is your 2019-2020 offseason plan for the Brewers?
Posted: November 25, 2019, 12:49 PM Post
Posts: 260
Oxy said:
This roster is a mess. The last 2 Septembers have been fun and beautiful, but it has really masked some objectively awkward roster problems.

Moose and Grandal were versatile middle of the order bats and they are gone. Thames and Anderson were reliable, stabilizing, quality players and they are gone. Chacin and Miley were stalwarts in 2018, and Lyles and Pomeranz were dominant in 2019...all 4 are gone.

Hiura likely isn't a National League player. Arcia is a bad regular.

Cain and Braun are old. Shaw is terrible.

The minor league system is bad.

Woodruff and Yelich is all we got right now.


Stearns has his work cut out for him.

I wouldn't blink if Stearns blew it all up and started over. Trade Yelich, Hiura, Woodruff and Hader and Cain for 5-6 top 50 guys and another dozen high upside fliers and play for the future.

I guess we could try to piece something together this year and see what it's like at the deadline, but I'm not optimistic right now. I can't see a WS caliber team in the next 2-3 years, so it makes sense to try to assemble one for 2023-2030.


What the hell is this? Woody and yelich all we have? Not the best relief pitcher in the game? or the RP coming back from an injury that was one of the best in the game? Calling for a rebuild with 3 years of cheap control for the NL MVP and two of the best pitchers in the game?

The doom and gloom on this website is almost unbearable.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: What is your 2019-2020 offseason plan for the Brewers?
Posted: November 25, 2019, 12:52 PM Post
Posts: 260
Also news flash for some posters on this site - The Milwaukee Brewers are NOT trading the NL MVP with 3 years of control left. Nor are they trading the best RP in the game with multiple years of control left. Its not happening, and its CERTAINLY not happening for these low ball offers that have been suggested here (Hader for MEJIA??? lol come on).


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: What is your 2019-2020 offseason plan for the Brewers?
Posted: November 25, 2019, 1:33 PM Post
Posts: 4721
Jopal78! said:
I think there is probably more value in pitching on the free agent market than there is for hitters. For example, for the 18.25 million they would have had to pay Grandal they could likely land two above average starting pitchers like Tanner Roark and Kyle Gibson. Arguably an improved rotation of Woodruff, Gibson, Roark, Davies, Houser/Nelson/Burnes and the SP Depth it would subsequently create is likely greater to the whole than Grandal. The team would also still have money to flesh out their lineup without having added significantly to last year's payroll.

Without a true 1B on the roster, they could look to someone like Kendrick or Encarnacion. Because they jettisoned Thames instead of paying him an add'l 6.5 million dollars, I assume the team believes they can find a similar player for cheaper or even a better player for the substantially same amount of money. If Moustakas comes back, they can move Shaw to first and find a right handed platoon player from the bargain bin.

I think Pomeranz has a chance to return as well even at a market rate. Having Hader, Pomeranz and Knebel at the back of the bullpen would make late innings tough.


For $18.5 million, the Crew could bring back Lyles, Gio, and reunite with Miley. Combine with Woodruff and Davies for the top five, with Houser/Supak/Burnes/Brown in the wings.

That becomes a very stable rotation, especially with a Pomeranz/Knebel/Peralta/Houser/Suter pen.

Deal Hader to the Padres for a Mejia/Morejon/Lauer package - that secures a decent partner with Pina, and two more controllable options for the rotation or pen. Between QTC/Andrews/Perdomo, one or more can give us 85-90% of Hader for $500K, and then Thames can come back for about $5 million a year for two years, and the Crew can bring Moose back and come up with some package for Cesar Hernandez (or pluck him from free agency if he is non-tendered).

cf: Cain/Grisham
2b: Hiura
rf: Yelich
lf: Braun/Grisham
3b: Moustakas/Encarnacion
c: Mejia/Pina
1b: Thames/Encarnacion
ss: Hernandez
pitcher
bench: Cain/Grisham/Braun, Pina/Mejia, Shaw, Encarnacion, Mathias
rotation: Woodruff, Miley, Lyles, Davies, Gio
bullpen: Knebel, Pomeranz, Suter, Peralta, Houser, Perdomo, J. Guerra, Yardley


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: What is your 2019-2020 offseason plan for the Brewers?
Posted: November 25, 2019, 1:49 PM Post
Posts: 4721
mattyo said:
Also news flash for some posters on this site - The Milwaukee Brewers are NOT trading the NL MVP with 3 years of control left. Nor are they trading the best RP in the game with multiple years of control left. Its not happening, and its CERTAINLY not happening for these low ball offers that have been suggested here (Hader for MEJIA??? lol come on).


Using BaseballTradeValues.com:
BREWERS GET:
C Mejia ($22.2 million)
LHP Morejon ($23.8 million)
SP Lauer ($16.5 million)

PADRES GET:
LHRP Hader ($48.3 million)
OF Lutz ($7.8 million)

Brewers come out ahead, and given how close Lauer and Morejon are to the majors, the Brewers may have extra cash lying around for upgrades. Mejia is also no black hole in the lineup.

Yeah, stinks to give up Hader, but at worst, Morejon is 95% of what Hader does at major-league minimum. Or, he is a young ace who pairs with Woodruff. Lauer's solid. And the cash that frees up could land the Crew an upgrade at shortstop, or maybe puts the Crew in a position to make a move for Rendon at third.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: What is your 2019-2020 offseason plan for the Brewers?
Posted: November 25, 2019, 2:55 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 2261
mattyo said:
What the hell is this? Woody and yelich all we have? Not the best relief pitcher in the game? or the RP coming back from an injury that was one of the best in the game? Calling for a rebuild with 3 years of cheap control for the NL MVP and two of the best pitchers in the game?

The doom and gloom on this website is almost unbearable.


Okay, Woodruff, Yelich, Hader and Hiura is all we got. I did say that they will likely try to piece together a good team this year, and when that happens I'll be optimistic once the games start. Right now is not that time though. Right now I want to turn those 4 guys into 8 guys like them by 2024, cuz getting to a WS (let alone winning a WS) just isn't going to happen with those 4 guys, spare parts and our current farm system.


I don't look at it as doom and gloom, I look at it as optimism for 2023 and beyond!


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: What is your 2019-2020 offseason plan for the Brewers?
Posted: November 25, 2019, 3:22 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 10807
mattyo said:
Also news flash for some posters on this site - The Milwaukee Brewers are NOT trading the NL MVP with 3 years of control left. Nor are they trading the best RP in the game with multiple years of control left. Its not happening, and its CERTAINLY not happening for these low ball offers that have been suggested here (Hader for MEJIA??? lol come on).


Ladies and gentlemen, I present, David Stearns! Welcome!

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: What is your 2019-2020 offseason plan for the Brewers?
Posted: November 25, 2019, 3:56 PM Post
Posts: 921
Location: Washburn, WI
Oxy said:
mattyo said:
What the hell is this? Woody and yelich all we have? Not the best relief pitcher in the game? or the RP coming back from an injury that was one of the best in the game? Calling for a rebuild with 3 years of cheap control for the NL MVP and two of the best pitchers in the game?

The doom and gloom on this website is almost unbearable.


Okay, Woodruff, Yelich, Hader and Hiura is all we got. I did say that they will likely try to piece together a good team this year, and when that happens I'll be optimistic once the games start. Right now is not that time though. Right now I want to turn those 4 guys into 8 guys like them by 2024, cuz getting to a WS (let alone winning a WS) just isn't going to happen with those 4 guys, spare parts and our current farm system.


I don't look at it as doom and gloom, I look at it as optimism for 2023 and beyond!


The issue with this statement is that of those 8 guys you acquire, 4-5 become regular major leaguers with hoping 2-3 are all-stars. We have 3-4 all-stars on the roster right now between Yelich, Hader, Woodruff, and (arguably) Hiura. With all of them controlled for a minimum of 3 years still. Plus, most of the guys you would acquire won’t be solid or good regulars their first year or two anyway. Now the future window you’re talking about is down to 3-4 years, which is basically where we are at right now.

Also, Stearns and his guys need to do a better job of drafting and bringing in talent through the draft. They obviously do a superb job in identifying flaws in guys already at the MLB level and turning some of them into positive contributors. But the amount of talent brought in through the draft and in international signings has been underwhelming. I would say the last couple have been better in that we have a lot of intriguing arms in the lower minor leagues, but they are still multiple years away and our entire minors is pretty void of bats outside of a couple guys. The upper minors really does not have much talent for pitching or bats that will be big time contributors for the Brewers. Obviously Yelich cost us a ton, but there has been nobody that has replaced those guys as of yet.

On a similar and yet different note, drafting Ray over Puk was one I never understood. We had arguably the top pitching prospect fall into our lap at the 5 slot and we passed on him. Now, instead of having a lefty that throws upper 90’s and has the makings of being similar to Hader and making the minimum for 3 years for us, we have a guy who is running out of time to figure it out (and is already 25 and still hasn’t cracked the MLB!).

Back to your point partially here, if we had Puk, that would possibly give us the option to move Hader now. Get someone like Lux for 6 years, move Hader and his increasing salary, bring in Betances to replace Hader and his salary, retain Pomeranz, and have Puk, Suter, and Knebel still while adding a shortstop on the cheap. Lots of what ifs, but it’s something that could of been done and would have us sitting in a much better place right now.

I do agree though that we could move Hader now, freeing up $5-6 million to add another piece while gaining a couple legit MLB prospects to help extend the window now. Because after the three year window as it sits, we have Woodruff for 1 year, Hader for 1, and Hiura for 3. That is not enough. We need more talent, but a full rebuild is risky and I don’t think will get us to where we need to be for at least 5 years. Maintaining a long competitive window happens by trading a piece from the MLB roster sometimes, bringing in controllable talent, and adding them to the mix (while removing the traded players’ salary to bring in someone else to replace an additional need).

Sorry for the long reply and multiple tangents. It kind of all ties together though.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: What is your 2019-2020 offseason plan for the Brewers?
Posted: November 25, 2019, 3:59 PM Post
Posts: 4721
Oxy said:
mattyo said:
What the hell is this? Woody and yelich all we have? Not the best relief pitcher in the game? or the RP coming back from an injury that was one of the best in the game? Calling for a rebuild with 3 years of cheap control for the NL MVP and two of the best pitchers in the game?

The doom and gloom on this website is almost unbearable.


Okay, Woodruff, Yelich, Hader and Hiura is all we got. I did say that they will likely try to piece together a good team this year, and when that happens I'll be optimistic once the games start. Right now is not that time though. Right now I want to turn those 4 guys into 8 guys like them by 2024, cuz getting to a WS (let alone winning a WS) just isn't going to happen with those 4 guys, spare parts and our current farm system.


I don't look at it as doom and gloom, I look at it as optimism for 2023 and beyond!


I don't think the Crew needs to do a total teardown, but some re-tooling is needed.

Hader/Lutz for Mejia/Morejon/Lauer nets the Crew a solid catcher until Feliciano/Henry/Fry get to the majors, a Hader-esque replacement in Morejon (who could also join Woodruff in the rotation), and Lauer becomes another rotation option.

Plus, the money saved could land an upgrade at SS like a non-tendered Cesar Hernandez.

Bring back Moose to play 1B... make a run for Rendon... bring Thames back as the top 1B/LF/RF backup, add Gio and Miley to the mix...

cf: Cain
2b: Hiura
rf: Yelich
3b: Rendon
1b: Moustakas
lf: Braun
c: Mejia
ss: Hernandez
Pitcher
Bench: Pina, Grisham, Shaw, Mathias, Thames
rotation: Woodruff, Miley, Morejon, Davies, Lauer
bullpen: Pomeranz, Knebel, Peralta, Suter, Houser, Yardley, J. Guerra, Gonzalez

The other option could be Stephen Vogt instead of Thames, but that means accepting Shaw would have to cover the corner OF slots.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: What is your 2019-2020 offseason plan for the Brewers?
Posted: November 25, 2019, 10:29 PM Post
Posts: 601
Jopal78! said:
I think there is probably more value in pitching on the free agent market than there is for hitters. For example, for the 18.25 million they would have had to pay Grandal they could likely land two above average starting pitchers like Tanner Roark and Kyle Gibson. Arguably an improved rotation of Woodruff, Gibson, Roark, Davies, Houser/Nelson/Burnes and the SP Depth it would subsequently create is likely greater to the whole than Grandal. The team would also still have money to flesh out their lineup without having added significantly to last year's payroll.

Without a true 1B on the roster, they could look to someone like Kendrick or Encarnacion. Because they jettisoned Thames instead of paying him an add'l 6.5 million dollars, I assume the team believes they can find a similar player for cheaper or even a better player for the substantially same amount of money. If Moustakas comes back, they can move Shaw to first and find a right handed platoon player from the bargain bin.

I think Pomeranz has a chance to return as well even at a market rate. Having Hader, Pomeranz and Knebel at the back of the bullpen would make late innings tough.


I don't see Roark or Gibson being above average and worth the money. Roark: 4.35 ERA - 4.67 FIP - more hits than IPs - 1.4 WHIP. All those number would increase at Miller Park. He made $10M last year. Gibson: 4.84 ERA - more hits than IPs - 1.45 WHIP - made $8.1M last year. Pineda would cost about the same and was much better. IMO Burnes doesn't start in the big leagues much less the starting rotation. I think everyone wants Pomeranz back, but there might be a bidding war for a lefty pen guy. Kendrick would be a great pickup with Walker as the backup 1B-3B. If Stearns can re-sign Moose, then Shaw is cut or traded.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: What is your 2019-2020 offseason plan for the Brewers?
Posted: November 25, 2019, 10:44 PM Post
Posts: 601
clancyphile said:
mattyo said:
Also news flash for some posters on this site - The Milwaukee Brewers are NOT trading the NL MVP with 3 years of control left. Nor are they trading the best RP in the game with multiple years of control left. Its not happening, and its CERTAINLY not happening for these low ball offers that have been suggested here (Hader for MEJIA??? lol come on).


Using BaseballTradeValues.com:
BREWERS GET:
C Mejia ($22.2 million)
LHP Morejon ($23.8 million)
SP Lauer ($16.5 million)

PADRES GET:
LHRP Hader ($48.3 million)
OF Lutz ($7.8 million)

Brewers come out ahead, and given how close Lauer and Morejon are to the majors, the Brewers may have extra cash lying around for upgrades. Mejia is also no black hole in the lineup.

Yeah, stinks to give up Hader, but at worst, Morejon is 95% of what Hader does at major-league minimum. Or, he is a young ace who pairs with Woodruff. Lauer's solid. And the cash that frees up could land the Crew an upgrade at shortstop, or maybe puts the Crew in a position to make a move for Rendon at third.


On what planet is Morejon 95% of Hader? That sight has had many, many problems estimating value.
To say Morejon is worth more than Mejia tells you the sight is waaaay off. Morejon in the minors: rookie thru A 128 IPs - 124 hits - 1.3 WHIP - 3 BBs per 9. He has 36 IPs at AA. Nothing suggests he would be even 1/2 of what Hader is, much less an ace. Lauer is a better prospect and he projects to be a #5/long man in the pen arm. Plus the Brewers give up Lutz. NO thanks.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: What is your 2019-2020 offseason plan for the Brewers?
Posted: November 25, 2019, 10:52 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 436
Considering how much attention Moose is getting, I'm starting to think that only a 3 year deal will get him back.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: What is your 2019-2020 offseason plan for the Brewers?
Posted: November 25, 2019, 11:00 PM Post
Posts: 601
clancyphile said:
Oxy said:
mattyo said:
What the hell is this? Woody and yelich all we have? Not the best relief pitcher in the game? or the RP coming back from an injury that was one of the best in the game? Calling for a rebuild with 3 years of cheap control for the NL MVP and two of the best pitchers in the game?

The doom and gloom on this website is almost unbearable.


Okay, Woodruff, Yelich, Hader and Hiura is all we got. I did say that they will likely try to piece together a good team this year, and when that happens I'll be optimistic once the games start. Right now is not that time though. Right now I want to turn those 4 guys into 8 guys like them by 2024, cuz getting to a WS (let alone winning a WS) just isn't going to happen with those 4 guys, spare parts and our current farm system.


I don't look at it as doom and gloom, I look at it as optimism for 2023 and beyond!


I don't think the Crew needs to do a total teardown, but some re-tooling is needed.

Hader/Lutz for Mejia/Morejon/Lauer nets the Crew a solid catcher until Feliciano/Henry/Fry get to the majors, a Hader-esque replacement in Morejon (who could also join Woodruff in the rotation), and Lauer becomes another rotation option.

Plus, the money saved could land an upgrade at SS like a non-tendered Cesar Hernandez.

Bring back Moose to play 1B... make a run for Rendon... bring Thames back as the top 1B/LF/RF backup, add Gio and Miley to the mix...

cf: Cain
2b: Hiura
rf: Yelich
3b: Rendon
1b: Moustakas
lf: Braun
c: Mejia
ss: Hernandez
Pitcher
Bench: Pina, Grisham, Shaw, Mathias, Thames
rotation: Woodruff, Miley, Morejon, Davies, Lauer
bullpen: Pomeranz, Knebel, Peralta, Suter, Houser, Yardley, J. Guerra, Gonzalez

The other option could be Stephen Vogt instead of Thames, but that means accepting Shaw would have to cover the corner OF slots.


Rendon is going to make north of $25M per. Moose probably $10-11M per. Hernandez is already making $8M and going to get more expensive, plus they would have to trade to get him. With those three guys alone you've added $44-50M to the payroll. Morejon has pitched a total of 36 IPs at AA and hasn't impressed yet. He has done very little in the minors and is nowhere near MLB ready. Lauer is a #5 at best. You're basically trading one of the best relievers in MLB plus Lutz for a catcher that the Padres are trying to make into an OF plus two guys who are questionable prospects. And the starting staff would still be one of the worst, if not the worst in the NL.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: What is your 2019-2020 offseason plan for the Brewers?
Posted: November 25, 2019, 11:14 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 548
Location: Chicago
wntrtxn21 said:
Jopal78! said:
I think there is probably more value in pitching on the free agent market than there is for hitters. For example, for the 18.25 million they would have had to pay Grandal they could likely land two above average starting pitchers like Tanner Roark and Kyle Gibson. Arguably an improved rotation of Woodruff, Gibson, Roark, Davies, Houser/Nelson/Burnes and the SP Depth it would subsequently create is likely greater to the whole than Grandal. The team would also still have money to flesh out their lineup without having added significantly to last year's payroll.

Without a true 1B on the roster, they could look to someone like Kendrick or Encarnacion. Because they jettisoned Thames instead of paying him an add'l 6.5 million dollars, I assume the team believes they can find a similar player for cheaper or even a better player for the substantially same amount of money. If Moustakas comes back, they can move Shaw to first and find a right handed platoon player from the bargain bin.

I think Pomeranz has a chance to return as well even at a market rate. Having Hader, Pomeranz and Knebel at the back of the bullpen would make late innings tough.


I don't see Roark or Gibson being above average and worth the money. Roark: 4.35 ERA - 4.67 FIP - more hits than IPs - 1.4 WHIP. All those number would increase at Miller Park. He made $10M last year. Gibson: 4.84 ERA - more hits than IPs - 1.45 WHIP - made $8.1M last year. Pineda would cost about the same and was much better. IMO Burnes doesn't start in the big leagues much less the starting rotation. I think everyone wants Pomeranz back, but there might be a bidding war for a lefty pen guy. Kendrick would be a great pickup with Walker as the backup 1B-3B. If Stearns can re-sign Moose, then Shaw is cut or traded.


The bottom line is the Brewers don’t have five bonafide major league starters on the roster. Gonzalez won’t be back, Lyles like Miley before him is probably going to be hunting for greener ($) pastures. The Brewers aren’t likely going to add a $20 mil/season starter. So they’re shopping in the 2nd tier aisle for starting pitching. Players like Roark, Gibson, Kuechel, Porcello, Pineda. None of them world beaters but all bonafide major league starting pitchers, which allows the Brewers to avoid having to pitch, Peralta, Burnes, Suter, as starting pitchers.

The problem with Pineda is he is never healthy with a history of multiple elbow injuries, a shoulder injury, a knee injury. Then when finally healthy for once, he gets busted for prescription medications that “a friend gave him” used for “weight loss” or as a masking agent for PEDs. Too risky for a team like the Brewers


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: What is your 2019-2020 offseason plan for the Brewers?
Posted: November 28, 2019, 6:29 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 6727
So far the Brewers offseason plan seems to be to shed as much salary as possible from role players in order to create a significant amount of financial flexibility. I know we’re conditioned to believe the Brewers won’t swim in the deep end of the Free Agent pool, but they at least have some money to spend this offseason.

Image

Monday will be another round of tender/non-tender decisions with Arcia and Shaw being the most anticipated possibilities that could go either way.

Below are the players from 2019 that already won’t be on the roster in 2020 (unless of course some of the free agents re-sign).

Anderson (Blue Jays)
Grisham (Padres)
Davies (Padres)
Grandal (White Sox)
Pomeranz (Padres)
Moustakas (FA)
Thames (FA)
Lyles (FA)
Gonzalez (FA)
J. Guerra (reportedly non-tendered)


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: What is your 2019-2020 offseason plan for the Brewers?
Posted: November 28, 2019, 7:32 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 9991
Eye Black said:
So far the Brewers offseason plan seems to be to shed as much salary as possible from role players in order to create a significant amount of financial flexibility. I know we’re conditioned to believe the Brewers won’t swim in the deep end of the Free Agent pool, but they at least have some money to spend this offseason.

Image

Monday will be another round of tender/non-tender decisions with Arcia and Shaw being the most anticipated possibilities that could go either way.

Below are the players from 2019 that already won’t be on the roster in 2020 (unless of course some of the free agents re-sign).

Anderson (Blue Jays)
Grisham (Padres)
Davies (Padres)
Grandal (White Sox)
Pomeranz (Padres)
Moustakas (FA)
Thames (FA)
Lyles (FA)
Gonzalez (FA)
J. Guerra (reportedly non-tendered)


Hernan Perez and Tyler Austin were both waived as well. And of course Jeffress was released toward the end of the season.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: What is your 2019-2020 offseason plan for the Brewers?
Posted: November 28, 2019, 10:57 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 3499
Adjusting my plan to spend $40 million since we no longer need Didi G.

Sign Zach Wheeler for 4/$72M ($18M in 2020), sign Michael Pineda for 2/$22M ($11M in 2020), sign Todd Frazier for 1/$7M ($7M in 2020), re-sign Eric Thames for 1/$4M ($4M in 2020)

C Pina
1B Thames/Braun
2B Hiura
SS Urias
3B Shaw/Frazier
LF Braun/Gamel
CF Cain
RF Yelich

SP Wheeler
SP Woodruff
SP Pineda
SP Lauer
SP Houser/Burnes


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: What is your 2019-2020 offseason plan for the Brewers?
Posted: November 29, 2019, 3:54 AM Post
Posts: 1052
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Eye Black said:
So far the Brewers offseason plan seems to be to shed as much salary as possible from role players in order to create a significant amount of financial flexibility. I know we’re conditioned to believe the Brewers won’t swim in the deep end of the Free Agent pool, but they at least have some money to spend this offseason.

Image

Monday will be another round of tender/non-tender decisions with Arcia and Shaw being the most anticipated possibilities that could go either way.

Below are the players from 2019 that already won’t be on the roster in 2020 (unless of course some of the free agents re-sign).

Anderson (Blue Jays)
Grisham (Padres)
Davies (Padres)
Grandal (White Sox)
Pomeranz (Padres)
Moustakas (FA)
Thames (FA)
Lyles (FA)
Gonzalez (FA)
J. Guerra (reportedly non-tendered)


Hernan Perez and Tyler Austin were both waived as well. And of course Jeffress was released toward the end of the season.


Could add Jhoulys Chacin to that as well.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: What is your 2019-2020 offseason plan for the Brewers?
Posted: November 29, 2019, 8:28 AM Post
Posts: 601
Lathund said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Eye Black said:
So far the Brewers offseason plan seems to be to shed as much salary as possible from role players in order to create a significant amount of financial flexibility. I know we’re conditioned to believe the Brewers won’t swim in the deep end of the Free Agent pool, but they at least have some money to spend this offseason.

Image

Monday will be another round of tender/non-tender decisions with Arcia and Shaw being the most anticipated possibilities that could go either way.

Below are the players from 2019 that already won’t be on the roster in 2020 (unless of course some of the free agents re-sign).

Anderson (Blue Jays)
Grisham (Padres)
Davies (Padres)
Grandal (White Sox)
Pomeranz (Padres)
Moustakas (FA)
Thames (FA)
Lyles (FA)
Gonzalez (FA)
J. Guerra (reportedly non-tendered)


Hernan Perez and Tyler Austin were both waived as well. And of course Jeffress was released toward the end of the season.


Could add Jhoulys Chacin to that as well.

As well as Jeffress-Albers (non-tender candidate)


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: What is your 2019-2020 offseason plan for the Brewers?
Posted: November 29, 2019, 3:45 PM Post
Posts: 921
Location: Washburn, WI
I thought it would be beneficial to list the salaries for Brewers players and their projected arby raises to get an idea of where their payroll situation is realistically at. Below is what I came up. I believe I have every player listed that could realistically make the roster Opening Day.

Position Players

Braun $17 million
Cain $16 million
Yelich $12.5 million
Hiura $500K
Arcia (Arb. $2.7 million)
Urias $500K
Pina $1.8 million
Shaw (Arb. $4.7 million)
Gamel (Arb. $1.6 million)

Total $57.3 million

Rotation

Woodruff $500K
Lauer $500K
Houser $500K

Total $1.5 million

Bullpen

Hader $5 million
Knebel (Arb. $5.2 million)
Nelson (Arb. $3.7 million)
Guerra (Arb. $3.5 million)
Claudio (Arb. $2.2 million)
Suter $1 million
Peralta $500K
Feyereisen $500K

Total $21.6 million

Other Options (not included on payroll list)

D. Guerra $500K
D. Williams $500K
Wahl $500K
Faria $500K
Burnes $500K
Black $500K

Buyouts/Deferred Payments

Thames $1 million
Moustakas $3 million
Grandal $2.25 million
Garza $2 million

Total $8.25 million

$57.3 + $1.5 + $21.6 + $8.25 = $88.65 Million Payroll

I am not sure if buyouts and deferred payments are included in the payroll, but I did it for this exercise. Factoring in all of the arby raises, our payroll is around $88.65 million, roughly $40 million below payroll in 2019.

If the Brewers decide to let Guerra ($3.5 million, sounds likely he’s gone), Nelson ($3.7 million, toss up but I think he’s gone), Shaw ($4.7 million, toss up but I think he is gone), and Arcia ($2.7 million, toss up but I think they tender him and trade him or trade him prior to the tender/non-tender deadline), they could have an additional $14.6 million freed up on their payroll. Which is not an insignificant amount of money. That would drop their payroll down to $74.05 million, giving them roughly $55 million to spend to reach last year’s season ending payroll.

Just thought it would be a good exercise to get people on the same page of where their payroll situation is at currently and to help with people thinking of creating or revising their offseason plans.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: What is your 2019-2020 offseason plan for the Brewers?
Posted: November 30, 2019, 12:34 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 9990
I don't see them Letting Shaw go unless DS has a plan for third.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  [ 137 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
  


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bensheeps, Eye Black, Kelbysdaddy, MillerParkSouth, remfire and 11 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search this forum (phpBB search):
Jump to:  
Search entire board (Google search):
Google
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Test