LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  [ 137 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

What is your 2019-2020 offseason plan for the Brewers?

Offline  Re: What is your 2019-2020 offseason plan for the Brewers?
Posted: November 30, 2019, 11:46 AM Post
So I wonder what the plan is with the payroll. Won’t be Grandal and won’t be Didi (or even Pomeranz). While we aren’t as loaded with money as many on here think there should still be quite a bit of excess money after we hypothetically sign Moustakas.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 01, 2019, 11:08 PM Post
Global Moderator
Okay, let's try this again.

Using cost estimates from MLB Trade Rumors and Fangraphs.
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/11/ ... -2020.html
https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2020-top-50-free-agents/

Off Season Moves - VERSION 1

- Trade Josh Hader to the Mets for Jeff McNeil and Dominic Smith a prospect or two.
- Sign Stephan Strasburg - 6 years/$180M
- Sign Jason Castro 2-years/$12M
- Sign Avisaíl García - 2-years/$14M
- Sign Jordan Lyles - 2-years/$10M
- Sign Josh Lindblom (from Korea) - 2 years/$8M
- Don't tender Shaw, Nelson, Saladino. Saves over $10M.

Hitters

C - Pina (R)/Castro (L)
1B - D. Smith (L)
2B - Hiura (R)
SS - Urias (R)
3B - McNeil (L)
OF - Braun (R), Cain (R), Yelich (L), Garcia (R), Gamel (L)
IF - Arcia
Corner IF - Ideally find a right handed hitting player who could handle 1B and 3B

I think you would end up with a nicely balanced lineup.

Pitchers

SP - Strasburg, Woodruff, Houser, Lyles, Lindblom, Lauer, Burnes (two of the latter four players would move to the bullpen)

RP - Knebel, Claudio, Guerra, Suter, Peralta, other young guys such as D. William, T. Williams, Yardley, etc.

Notes

- Castro - a lefty - platoons with Pina forming a nice set of receivers (if a bit offensively challenged)
- Strasburg offers a top-of-the-rotation pitcher we lack. Could go after Cole if we want to spend more - and give more years
- You let Lyles, Houser and Lindblom slot in the rotation (along with Woodruff and Strasburg) - but don't be afraid to use Burnes or Lauer if someone shines - or there is an injury or someone falters. Otherwise, the non-starters move to the bullpen.
- Smith looked like a potent bat last year - but in limited time (177 ABs, 13 HR, .881 OPS). Becomes our full time 1B. But you could use Braun could against lefties if willing.
- I'd work Peralta as a reliever from day one. I think he could be really good in that role if he focused on it.
- Arcia is utility IF. Perhaps he steps up his game and keeps SS job. If so, Urias still gets lots of reps at 2B, SS and 3B.
- Garcia is a solid, but not spectacular RF. Should hit around .280 and get you 20 HR. Not a great player, but decent. You'd need to manage playing time between all the guys, but between injuries, pinch hitting, DHing, and (perhaps) Braun playing some 1B, it would be manageable.
- McNeil slots in at 3B full time.

Salary

- Cost is now about $120M. Still need to add a reserve corner IF, and maybe a relief pitcher.

ALTERNATIVE VERSION

If we can spend more money, here's a different version:

- Don't sign Lyles or Garcia. Live with an OF of Braun, Cain, Yelich, Gamel and a lesser guy (meaning cheap)
- Sign Wheeler for 5-years/$100M. Gives you a rotation of Strasburg, Wheeler, Woodruff, Houser and one of Lindblom/Lauer/Burnes. Would be pretty interesting.

This would make the payroll about $130M, which is probably doable, but not much room for any additions. Would be risky. Would really need some guys to step up in the bullpen.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 02, 2019, 8:02 AM Post
Global Moderator
reillymcshane said:

- Trade Josh Hader to the Mets for Jeff McNeil and Dominic Smith a prospect or two.

This would be the perfect offseason, IMO. I would be ecstatic if these were ultimately all the moves made when the dust settles.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 02, 2019, 11:42 AM Post
reillymcshane said:
Okay, let's try this again.

Using cost estimates from MLB Trade Rumors and Fangraphs.
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/11/ ... -2020.html
https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2020-top-50-free-agents/

Hitters

C - Pina (R)/Castro (L)
1B - D. Smith (L)
2B - Hiura (R)
SS - Urias (R)
3B - McNeil (L)
OF - Braun (R), Cain (R), Yelich (L), Garcia (R), Gamel (L)
IF - Arcia
Corner IF - Ideally find a right handed hitting player who could handle 1B and 3B

I think you would end up with a nicely balanced lineup.

Pitchers

SP - Strasburg, Woodruff, Houser, Lyles, Lindblom, Lauer, Burnes (two of the latter four players would move to the bullpen)

RP - Knebel, Claudio, Guerra, Suter, Peralta, other young guys such as D. William, T. Williams, Yardley, etc.

Notes

- Castro - a lefty - platoons with Pina forming a nice set of receivers (if a bit offensively challenged)
- Strasburg offers a top-of-the-rotation pitcher we lack. Could go after Cole if we want to spend more - and give more years
- You let Lyles, Houser and Lindblom slot in the rotation (along with Woodruff and Strasburg) - but don't be afraid to use Burnes or Lauer if someone shines - or there is an injury or someone falters. Otherwise, the non-starters move to the bullpen.
- Smith looked like a potent bat last year - but in limited time (177 ABs, 13 HR, .881 OPS). Becomes our full time 1B. But you could use Braun could against lefties if willing.
- I'd work Peralta as a reliever from day one. I think he could be really good in that role if he focused on it.
- Arcia is utility IF. Perhaps he steps up his game and keeps SS job. If so, Urias still gets lots of reps at 2B, SS and 3B.
- Garcia is a solid, but not spectacular RF. Should hit around .280 and get you 20 HR. Not a great player, but decent. You'd need to manage playing time between all the guys, but between injuries, pinch hitting, DHing, and (perhaps) Braun playing some 1B, it would be manageable.
- McNeil slots in at 3B full time.

Salary

- Cost is now about $120M. Still need to add a reserve corner IF, and maybe a relief pitcher.

ALTERNATIVE VERSION

If we can spend more money, here's a different version:

- Don't sign Lyles or Garcia. Live with an OF of Braun, Cain, Yelich, Gamel and a lesser guy (meaning cheap)
- Sign Wheeler for 5-years/$100M. Gives you a rotation of Strasburg, Wheeler, Woodruff, Houser and one of Lindblom/Lauer/Burnes. Would be pretty interesting.

This would make the payroll about $130M, which is probably doable, but not much room for any additions. Would be risky. Would really need some guys to step up in the bullpen.

IMO your payroll estimate is low. The big downfall is the bullpen. It would be one of the worst in baseball. Peralta is a once every 3 days guy. Who knows about Knebel. Claudio is highly questionable with the new 3 batter rule. Suter is a long guy and none of the others have done anything to indicate they would be late inning options. If they trade Hader they have to get somebody in the pen to replace him.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 02, 2019, 12:23 PM Post
Stealing your format Riley and sticking with a Hader/McNeil/Smith trade but changing up the FA signings:

Off Season Moves -

- Trade Josh Hader to the Mets for Jeff McNeil and Dominic Smith.
- Sign Zach Wheeler - 5/$100M
- Sign Alex Avila - 1/$15M
- Sign Howie Kendrick - 2/$16M
- Sign Dallas Kuechel - 3/$39M
- Sign Delin Betances - 2/$18M
- Sign Jedd Gyorko - 1/$4M

Non-Tender - Shaw, Nelson, Saladino, Guerra

Lineup
CF - Cain
RF - Yelich (L)
2B - Hiura
3B - McNeil (L)
LF - Braun
1B - D. Smith (L)
SS - Urias
C - Pina/Avila (L)

Bench:
Arcia (SS)
Kendrick(1B/LF)
Pina/Avila (C)
Gamel (LF/RF/CF)
Jedd Gyorko (3B/2B)

Starters:
Wheeler
Woodruff
Kuechel (L)
Houser
Lauer (L)

Relief Pitchers:
CL - Knebel
SU - Betances
MR - Burnes
MR - Suter
MR - Peralta
MR - Black
LOOGY - Claudio
AAA Shuttle

Notes
- Kendrick/Braun/Smith all get 3-4 starts per week between 1B/LF
- Betances is a injury risk, but he can be the elite SU man we need if healthy
- If Burnes become the weapon out of the BP he was in 2018, we are loaded in the BP again even without Hader

Salary
124.7M

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 02, 2019, 8:22 PM Post
I didn't read the entire thread, but I'm guessing there's not one that included unloading 75% of the roster that produced the first back to back playoff appearances in over 35 years.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 02, 2019, 9:04 PM Post
Now after non-tender deadline:
Trades:
-get Omar Narvaez from SEA for Freddy Peralta

Free agent signings:
-Eric Thames- 1/5.5
-Brock holt- 2/8 - some starts at 3B, LF, and defensive sub at 2B
-Howie Kendrick - 2/14 - 1B, 3B
-Dallas Keuchel - 3/39
-wade Miley - 2/12
-Francisco Cervelli - 1/1.5
-jordan Lyles - 1/5
-Steve cichek- 2/8

Lineup:
1B-Thames
2B-Hiura
RF-Yelich
3B-Kendrick
LF-Braun
C-Narvaez
CF-Cain
SS-Urias

Bench
C-Pina- start vs LHP and sub on D for Narvaez
OF-Gamel
2B/3B/LF-holt
INF-Arcia
C/1B-Cervelli-allows Narvaez to PH+Pina to sub in D

Rotation:
Woodruff, Keuchel, Miley, houser, Lauer

Bullpen:
Knebel, Hader, Guerra (resign), cichek, Faria, black, Lyles, Suter

* this still leaves $ for mid season moves, minor league deals, and leaves no major holes

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 02, 2019, 9:28 PM Post
Eye Black said:
reillymcshane said:

This would be the perfect offseason, IMO. I would be ecstatic if these were ultimately all the moves made when the dust settles.

I'm kind of hesitant with Strasburg - just seems like a guy who might burn out in his early 30's. He'll be 31 next year already. Might be someone else, but I agree with the principle of going big on a SP.

Not real big on Garcia either, especially for that price for a backup OF (assuming with those deals Smith 1B, Braun LF, Yelich RF). Assuming Gamel as the 4th OF, for a 5th OF/PH I'd go for Matt Joyce for a one-year, $2M deal. Over the last two seasons Joyce has had roughly a 20% K rate and 15% BB rate.

Also look at Derek Dietrich as a soft platoon for Braun/Hiura against tough RHP and to rest Braun, also for 1/$2M. Dietrich had a pretty good year despite a BABIP that was .120(!) below his career average, and has a nice differential between his OBP and BA. Need some LH bats to replace Moose/Grandal/Thames/Shaw. Dietrich is your backup 2B/1B, Arcia is your backup SS/3B.

Fills two bench spots for $3M less than Garcia. Use the remaining $3M to bring in a LHRP - need to replace Hader/Pom/Claudio. Same with Lindblom - need to allocate that towards LHRP. Who that is, I have no idea.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 02, 2019, 10:18 PM Post
Global Moderator
LouisEly said:

I'm kind of hesitant with Strasburg - just seems like a guy who might burn out in his early 30's. He'll be 31 next year already. Might be someone else, but I agree with the principle of going big on a SP.

I really like Strasburg as a player, but really scared of him as well due to his health. He had TJ surgery something 10 years ago. It's something that can recur after such a long time. It would be a huge risk to sign him to six years. But I also understand the reward.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 03, 2019, 8:40 AM Post
Devinep said:
Now after non-tender deadline:
Trades:
-get Omar Narvaez from SEA for Freddy Peralta

Free agent signings:
-Eric Thames- 1/5.5
-Brock holt- 2/8 - some starts at 3B, LF, and defensive sub at 2B
-Howie Kendrick - 2/14 - 1B, 3B
-Dallas Keuchel - 3/39
-wade Miley - 2/12
-Francisco Cervelli - 1/1.5
-jordan Lyles - 1/5
-Steve cichek- 2/8

Lineup:
1B-Thames
2B-Hiura
RF-Yelich
3B-Kendrick
LF-Braun
C-Narvaez
CF-Cain
SS-Urias

Bench
C-Pina- start vs LHP and sub on D for Narvaez
OF-Gamel
2B/3B/LF-holt
INF-Arcia
C/1B-Cervelli-allows Narvaez to PH+Pina to sub in D

Rotation:
Woodruff, Keuchel, Miley, houser, Lauer

Bullpen:
Knebel, Hader, Guerra (resign), cichek, Faria, black, Lyles, Suter

* this still leaves $ for mid season moves, minor league deals, and leaves no major holes

I wonder if they’d be willing to pay a bit more to get Ryu instead of Keuchel as a small upgrade

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 03, 2019, 10:44 AM Post
All the recent reports make clear that the Brewers are exploring all of their trade options and are monitoring both hitters and pitchers on the free-agent market. They’re also perhaps looking to cut payroll but also spend big. Fans need to realize that Stearns and the Brewers' front office keep their plans incredibly close to the vest ... so this talk of cutting payroll or whatever other crap that Nightengale is spewing literally has no merit whatsoever.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 03, 2019, 11:09 AM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
All the recent reports make clear that the Brewers are exploring all of their trade options and are monitoring both hitters and pitchers on the free-agent market. They’re also perhaps looking to cut payroll but also spend big. Fans need to realize that Stearns and the Brewers' front office keep their plans incredibly close to the vest ... so this talk of cutting payroll or whatever other crap that Nightengale is spewing literally has no merit whatsoever.

I noticed the thread was closed already before I could chime in, but this is kind of where I am. Stearns and the Brewers always keep things close to the vest. And with “rival executives” telling him they “undoubtedly” would have a lower payroll, I didn’t know Stearns and Mark A go around telling the other GM’s what their payroll cap is. “We plan on spending $110 million this year and no more!”. Yeah, that makes no sense. Them slashing payroll is to replace their marginal and negative value guys with higher upside, higher floor guys, and possibly make a push for a big name TOR pitcher or all-star caliber bat to pair with Yelich and Hiura. They had so much dead weight from marginal talent last year that they need some fresh blood brought in.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 03, 2019, 11:41 AM Post
I'd like to see them target Jason Castro to be part of the catching tandem with Pina. Lefty batter, typically a good defender. Has been on winning teams most of career.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 04, 2019, 8:42 AM Post
Alright, so there is a good chance I may get some hate from some people here....but the offense I dont think is as bad as people think.

Cf: Cain (Cain was hurt last year and tried to play threw it. Also had a high hard hit % so he had a lot of bad luck. Wont be suprised if he hits 280 with a 350 obp)

SS: Luis Urius (He wont bat 2 right away. But had very minimal at bats, and was already better than arcia. He lives up to his hype he's a 300 hitter. But this year I can see hi hitting 270 with also a 350 obp if he's playing everyday.

RF: Yeli (He's okay I guess. But if we bat him 3, and 2 guys have a 350 obp he's going to have lot of runners on to do his thing.

2b Kdaddy (he's going to be up for a full year....who knows what he'll do. Would anyone be suprised if he already hit 30 hrs and hit 300? he's great insurance behind yeli)

Lf Braun (had a very underated year last year)

3b: Mcneil, Kendrick, Frazier, Asdrubal Cabrera, Didi maybe?

1b: Cron, thames, dom smith, Moreland, Smoak

C Pina (can hit 230-240 which I'll take from an 8 hitter, but he provides great defense)
Jason castro: 1 year 4 mil
That's going to be a very solid platoon with good defense

The only holes we have are 1st and 3rd on offense. But there are lots of cheap, but productive options that I would take for 6 and 7 hitters.

But what if the mets do offer Mcneil and dom smith for a package around Hader?

My point being the offense isn't terrible and I'm sure they'll add some talent there that we'll be productive. That being said we have money to spend on pitching.

What if we do out and Sign a Keuchel for 15 mil?

Also, Make a trade for Robbie Ray. I don't think he'll command turang

Woody
Keuchel
Ray
houser
Laur

Obviously this is all best case scenario imo...but I beleive the payroll would be below the 122 we had at the start of last year so we'll see.

Stearns is going to be creative to fill our needs, so even if we do want to cut payroll im donfident we'll find production and be competitive next year.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 07, 2019, 12:57 PM Post
Just sort of looking at the landscape now.

Have to figure I probably would have been outbid by the White Sox for Grandal, and would have not come close to matching the offer for Moustakas. So I am out both of those players.

Would have gone ahead and done the Anderson and Davies/Grisham deals, so I am out those player but have added Urias, Lauer and Spanberger.

Would have kept Thames and offered arbitration to Guerra and Claudio so I still have those three players. Shaw and Nelson are gone in my plan. With the bullpen guaranteed to never drop below 8 pitchers now, I still think there is a role for Claudio. If I had known that the A's were going to not offer arbitration to Ryan Buchter, I would have dumped Claudio and went after Buchter instead.

Would have not done the Narvaez trade. I don't like terrible defensive catchers so good luck to the Brewers organization trying to fix that. I have my doubts. Will probably love his bat...but...just not a guy I would have targeted.

So my roster would currently look like:
SP = Brandon Woodruff, Adrian Houser, Eric Lauer
RP = Josh Hader, Corey Knebel, Junior Guerra, Alex Claudio, Brent Suter, Ray Black
C = Manny Pina
IF = Eric Thames, Keston Hiura, Luis Urias, Orlando Arcia
OF = Christian Yelich, Lorenzo Cain, Ryan Braun, Ben Gamel
And obviously there are a bunch more candidates for a few of these spots, I'm just naming the locks for the 25 man roster (assuming Knebel is healthy). I'd like to have Freddy Peralta start in AAA to work on his secondary pitches so that's why he is not listed, but I have a feeling he'll wind up on the opening day roster out of pure necessity.

So now that we are in December, here are the offers I'd throw out today:

RHSP - Kevin Gausman - 1 year, 6.5 million (would be willing to do 2 years if necessary)
RHRP - Blake Treinen - 1 year, 6 million
C - Jason Castro - 2 years, 10 million
RHSP - Taijuan Walker - 1 year, 2 million with incentives that could take the $ way up, maybe even include a generous vesting option
3B/2B - Jung Ho Kang - split contract offer

And I'd still be interested in Dallas Keuchel, not sure where the market would be with him, and multiple relievers. And probably would be circling back on Travis Shaw. It looks like it would be him or make a minor trade to try and plug the gap. Also need another infielder and would like to grab another outfielder to compete with Taylor for the last OF spot. If Attanasio green lights a 120 million opening day payroll, then I would still have approximately 25 million to play with even if completing all of the offers above. So I still have enough money to add one big pitcher (not Bumgarner) if the right opportunity is there.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 08, 2019, 11:02 AM Post
The Brewers are short a starting 3B and an Ace SP, please get Donaldson and Strasburg. Get it done Stearns.

For 1B, just re-sign Thames to a 1 year deal. And I hope the Brewers re-sign Junior Guerra for the bullpen.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 12, 2019, 12:58 AM Post
To this point I couldn't be happier with the off season. That's not blue. I think we murdered the Padres and we got Narvaez on the cheap. I wasn't thrilled with the Anderson return and in hindsight the pitching market has been a little steeper than people expected.

I won't go values on all of them, but I want:
Collin McHugh at/under 6 AAV 2 years. 2.67 ERA out of the pen last year. 2.76 career reliever. I see him as a 2 IP option and the in case of Knebel emergency closer. It's time for him to embrace his future in the MLB. That's a big time pen piece.
Cishek 6/1. SU. Look at his stats sway back and forth every other year. Pattern says 2020 is a good year. My hope is that MKE will lock down a traditional 8 9 combo with Cishek and Knebel and everyone else in the pen will be a 2 IP guy besides Claudio if he sticks.
Taijuan Walker 2-3 mil incentive laden for 6. So much upside.
Rich Hill I'd assume around 5-6 mil 1 year. Yes, he'll spend time on the IL. Plenty of it. 36 37 38 39 he has put up 20 25 24 13 starts. His ERA has been a flat 3. Secret ERA weapon. If MKE opened the season healthy at pitcher and all options looked good I'd be tempted to tell him to stub his toe and we'll see you in June. I want him healthy in the playoffs.
Gio Gonzalez I'd assume 4 mil since he got 3 last year. Has pitched fantastic for MKE.
This means one of Walker Hill Gio Lindblom will start in the pen or IL.
Woodruff Hill Gio Houser Lindblom
Claudio optioned Lauer optioned to stay stretched out Burnes getting sorted out.
Black Walker Peralta Suter McHugh Hader Cishek Knebel

Offense
Thames back on a 1 year deal under 5 mil.
Wilmer Flores around 4-5 mil aav 2 years. I'm on board with this idea. 2B is going to be a huge boost over what MKE has seen. They can survive a moderate bat at 3b. The lineup is solid and I'd prefer a low K guy. He's only 28 and last year's numbers in AZ are eyebrow raising. Late bloomer?
Brock Holt 4/2. Versatility. OBP.
A RH 1B power bat *ideas welcome*
OR if MKE wants to spend a little and play Braun at 1b
Avisail Garcia 7/2. Allows MKE to opt out of Braun after 2020 and put Yelich back at GG LF.

High side 44 million added to the current roster. Only McHugh Flores Holt and Garcia on 2 year deal. None on 3. Tons of starter options, low financial risk.

Narvaez Pina
Thames
Hiura
Urias Arcia
Flores Holt
Yelich Cain Braun Garcia Gamel

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  [ 137 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply