LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  [ 245 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

What is your 2019-2020 offseason plan for the Brewers?

Offline  Re: What is your 2019-2020 offseason plan for the Brewers?
Posted: February 20, 2020, 9:19 AM Post
Tony Cingrani is out there. Doesn't have a ton of miles on his arm, is only 30 could be a multi inning guy and give you 3-4 innings at a time while he builds his arm back up

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 20, 2020, 12:14 PM Post
Uwbadgers442 said:
https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/other/mlb-umpires-agree-to-help-with-testing-electronic-strike-zone-report-says/ar-BBYf2OS?li=AAF3IbP

Will be interesting to see if/when this is implemented in the big leagues. Brewers did not commit to Grandal long-term because they believed it could be implemented as early as 2021.

Based on the article, it appears anywhere from 2-5 more years depending on how testing goes.

A risk the Brewers took, but could be a solid move if it happens. The second half of Grandals contract would be totally devalued.

I seriously doubt if the electronic umpire had anything to do with the Brewers' not committing long term to Grandal. They knew the money was just too much to handle long term. His defense was secondary to his offense. That's why they went and got Narvaez this year. The electornics will have little effect on the overall value of catchers.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 20, 2020, 4:02 PM Post
wntrtxn21 said:
Uwbadgers442 said:
https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/other/mlb-umpires-agree-to-help-with-testing-electronic-strike-zone-report-says/ar-BBYf2OS?li=AAF3IbP

Will be interesting to see if/when this is implemented in the big leagues. Brewers did not commit to Grandal long-term because they believed it could be implemented as early as 2021.

Based on the article, it appears anywhere from 2-5 more years depending on how testing goes.

A risk the Brewers took, but could be a solid move if it happens. The second half of Grandals contract would be totally devalued.

I seriously doubt if the electronic umpire had anything to do with the Brewers' not committing long term to Grandal. They knew the money was just too much to handle long term. His defense was secondary to his offense. That's why they went and got Narvaez this year. The electornics will have little effect on the overall value of catchers.

I agree with you but that's not perception. Framing is, in my opinion, the most wildly overrated metric for valuation of a player in all of pro sports. You take that metric away and certain catchers are going to look far less valuable on a number of measuring sticks.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 20, 2020, 11:07 PM Post
Updated Player List

Position Players

Braun $14 million ($3 million deferred)
Cain $15 million ($1 million deferred)
Yelich $12.5 million
Garcia $7.5 million
Hiura $550K
Arcia $2.2 million
Urias $550K
Pina $1.8 million
Gamel $1.4 million
Narvaez $2.73 million
Sogard $4.5 million
Smoak $4 million
Gyorko $1 million
Healy $250K+
Holt $2.5 million

Total $70.48 million

Rotation

Woodruff $550K
B. Anderson $5 million
Houser $550K
Lauer $550K
Lindblom $3 million

Total $9.65 million

Bullpen

Hader $4.1 million
Knebel $5.2 million
Claudio $1.8 million
Suter $1 million
Peralta $550K
Feyereisen $550K
Wahl $550K
Phelps $1.25 million

Total $15.4 million

Other Options (not included on payroll list)

Faria $550K
Burnes $550K
D. Williams $550K

Buyouts/Deferred Payments

Thames $1 million
Moustakas $3 million
Grandal $2.25 million
Garza $2 million

Total $8.25 million

$70.48 + $9.65 + $15 + $8.25 = $103.38 Million Current Payroll

About $24 million below last year’s payroll.

Every time I post this, moves tend to happen. Here’s to the next Brewers transaction in the next day or two [wink]

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 21, 2020, 1:07 AM Post
TJseven7 said:
wntrtxn21 said:
Uwbadgers442 said:

I agree with you but that's not perception. Framing is, in my opinion, the most wildly overrated metric for valuation of a player in all of pro sports. You take that metric away and certain catchers are going to look far less valuable on a number of measuring sticks.

Any defensive value Grandal had came from framing. He dropped more clear strikes than any big league catcher that I’ve ever seen. He struggled to catch foul tips routinely caught by catchers in MLB. He wasn’t very good at blocking, and he doesn’t have a particularly strong or accurate arm. If MLB implements the automated strike zone, he goes from a slight positive defense catcher to a hack.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  [ 245 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply