LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  [ 178 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Catcher Position for 2020

Online  Re: Catcher Position for 2020
Posted: November 26, 2019, 8:51 AM Post
I agree on Dipoto and not knowing what he wants.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Catcher Position for 2020
Posted: November 26, 2019, 4:14 PM Post
Jopal78! said:
First of all, Seattle is rebuilding. For those who may have forgotten this means they are looking to add long term talent to their organization. They’re not going to trade one of the few chips they have, a catcher who can hit, without getting long term pieces in return. So regardless if a ‘trade evaluater’ website says it’s even, Seattle has zero use for Lorenzo Cain. (This goes without mentioning the GM who signed Cain less than two calendar years ago likely has a different perspective on him than many of the posters here).

Also, Seager was a 2.5 WAR player last year. I’m sure Seattle would move him if they were offered the right combination of young talent. They’re not going to simply give him away, let alone pay cash for him to play for somebody else.

I presume Jerry DiPoto wants to keep his job. The scenario of actually pulling the trigger on deals where he trades his most valuable major league pieces and throws in cash to get another big contract and some dog rockets from Milwaukee’s farm system doesn’t make his organization better in the long run nor the short run.

Yeah, I find it fairly amazing how quick to want to dump a Gold Glove CF because he's being paid for production that he exceeded and made him a near 7WAR player in 2018, because 2019 he didn't achieve 3WAR. Check his stats, he's had an off season in the past. and rebounded better than before. Who you going to replace him with in CF that produces 3+WAR on an average? With GG defense? I get the Braun and age regression.(though he did have a 116+OPS+last season) Let Cain be. His value whether an overpay or not is worth it.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 26, 2019, 5:28 PM Post
It appears Vogt is off the board...

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/11/ ... -vogt.html

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 26, 2019, 5:38 PM Post
This catching situation is getting me nervous. I know it’s early, but there’s obviously a run on catchers now. Time to you-know-what or get off the pot Stearns!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 26, 2019, 6:09 PM Post
I wouldn’t mind if we got Mejia.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 26, 2019, 6:11 PM Post
mtrebs said:
This catching situation is getting me nervous. I know it’s early, but there’s obviously a run on catchers now. Time to you-know-what or get off the pot Stearns!

I wonder if Stearns' inaction means a trade for a catcher is in the works? I'd be ok with Pina and a decent backup if they re-sign Moose and get a much more productive SS. Firstbase and pitching also has to be addressed pretty soon.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 26, 2019, 6:14 PM Post
Global Moderator
brewcrewdue80 said:
Yeah, I find it fairly amazing how quick to want to dump a Gold Glove CF because he's being paid for production that he exceeded and made him a near 7WAR player in 2018, because 2019 he didn't achieve 3WAR. Check his stats, he's had an off season in the past. and rebounded better than before. Who you going to replace him with in CF that produces 3+WAR on an average? With GG defense? I get the Braun and age regression.(though he did have a 116+OPS+last season) Let Cain be. His value whether an overpay or not is worth it.

What Cain did at age 27 following an off year is mostly irrelevant when you're now talking about a 34 year old. Those interested in moving on from Cain are more concerned that this is the trend, not an outlier, that will result in him being an albatross the last two years of his deal, and that's a valid concern, IMO.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 26, 2019, 6:23 PM Post
wntrtxn21 said:
mtrebs said:

I wonder if Stearns' inaction means a trade for a catcher is in the works? I'd be ok with Pina and a decent backup if they re-sign Moose and get a much more productive SS. Firstbase and pitching also has to be addressed pretty soon.

Yes, I hope there’s something in the works. Last thing I want to have happen is we continue to wait for options and nothing happens.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 26, 2019, 6:40 PM Post
IntentionalHBP said:
I wouldn’t mind if we got Mejia.

Personally think this guy is overrated. Strikes out 25% of the time. Rather just let Nottingham have a shot. Wouldn’t cost us anything either.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 26, 2019, 9:12 PM Post
brewcrewdue80 said:
Just perused some of the prior and newer top catcher prospects. Looking for maybe a guy blocking or being blocked. The Arizona DBacks have Carson Kelly now who played well last season. And then there is a one Daulton Varsho. From WI that is projected to make the Majors in 2020. Let's make a deal! I'll return to this later but go ahead. Discuss.

So the DBacks signed Vogt. They have better catchers at their disposal?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 26, 2019, 9:25 PM Post
brewcrewdue80 said:
brewcrewdue80 said:
Just perused some of the prior and newer top catcher prospects. Looking for maybe a guy blocking or being blocked. The Arizona DBacks have Carson Kelly now who played well last season. And then there is a one Daulton Varsho. From WI that is projected to make the Majors in 2020. Let's make a deal! I'll return to this later but go ahead. Discuss.

Varsho has never played above AA ball. The D'Backs will want to see how he handles AAA pitching, both with the bat and on defense. I believe he's at least a year away. They signed Vogt as a very capable backup to Kellyfor 2020. After 2020 they'll have decisions to make.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 27, 2019, 8:53 AM Post
I would bet it's someone like Austin Romine who is brought in

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 27, 2019, 9:08 AM Post
I get the feeling that Avila will be signed soon.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 27, 2019, 10:11 PM Post
Global Moderator
According to Jeff Passan...

Catcher Yan Gomes and the Washington Nationals are in agreement on a two-year, $10 million deal that will return the veteran to the reigning champions, sources tell ESPN. Gomes caught the final out of the World Series and will rejoin Kurt Suzuki as the Nationals’ catching tandem.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 27, 2019, 10:27 PM Post
wntrtxn21 said:
brewcrewdue80 said:
brewcrewdue80 said:

Varsho has never played above AA ball. The D'Backs will want to see how he handles AAA pitching, both with the bat and on defense. I believe he's at least a year away. They signed Vogt as a very capable backup to Kellyfor 2020. After 2020 they'll have decisions to make.
AZ has also been playing Varsho in the outfield so it’s not like he’s blocked .

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 27, 2019, 11:00 PM Post
What happened to Welington Castillo? Is he completely cooked? Only 32, which is not ancient.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 27, 2019, 11:50 PM Post
Eye Black said:
According to Jeff Passan...

Catcher Yan Gomes and the Washington Nationals are in agreement on a two-year, $10 million deal that will return the veteran to the reigning champions, sources tell ESPN. Gomes caught the final out of the World Series and will rejoin Kurt Suzuki as the Nationals’ catching tandem.

I happy for Yan, both for getting a ring & for finding a place to sign before Thanksgiving...

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/11/ ... gomes.html

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 28, 2019, 3:48 AM Post
SRB said:
What happened to Welington Castillo? Is he completely cooked? Only 32, which is not ancient.

Castillo has a real bad year with the White Sox last year. .209/.267 while making $7.25M. He was traded to the Rangers who released him almost immediately.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 29, 2019, 10:33 PM Post
SRB said:
Why would anyone want a catcher who is terrible defensively and whose own team is actively trying to shop him with three years of control left?

I normally don't mind trading defense for offense, but not at catcher on a team with a young, questionable pitching staff.

Seattle needs pitching and can trade from its depth at catcher where this year Tom Murphy posted a 126 wRC+ and 3.2 fWAR in only 76 games and utility man Austin Nola, a catcher by trade, posted a 114 wRC+ and 1.5 fWAR in only 79 games:

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx? ... =&enddate=

Additionally, catcher Cal Raleigh is the seventh-ranked prospect in a healthy Seattle farm system:

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2019?list=sea

Baseball Trade Values approves a trade of Ethan Small and Drew Rasmussen for Omar Narvaez:

https://www.baseballtradevalues.com/trades/trade-16900/

... although the pitching-thin Brewers are unlikely to further deplete their farm system.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 29, 2019, 10:45 PM Post
harmony said:
SRB said:
Why would anyone want a catcher who is terrible defensively and whose own team is actively trying to shop him with three years of control left?

I normally don't mind trading defense for offense, but not at catcher on a team with a young, questionable pitching staff.

Seattle needs pitching and can trade from its depth at catcher where this year Tom Murphy posted a 126 wRC+ and 3.2 fWAR in only 76 games and utility man Austin Nola, a catcher by trade, posted a 114 wRC+ and 1.5 fWAR in only 79 games:

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx? ... =&enddate=

Additionally, catcher Cal Raleigh is the seventh-ranked prospect in a healthy Seattle farm system:

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2019?list=sea

Baseball Trade Values approves a trade of Ethan Small and Drew Rasmussen for Omar Narvaez:

https://www.baseballtradevalues.com/trades/trade-16900/

... although the pitching-thin Brewers are unlikely to further deplete their farm system.

I get Narvaez and Tim Beckham for Alex Claudio and Buddy Derby.
https://www.baseballtradevalues.com/trades/trade-16933/

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  [ 178 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply