LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 66 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Catcher Position for 2020

Offline  Re: Catcher Position for 2020

Posted: October 26, 2019, 6:11 PM Post
Brew4U said:
Austin Allen would be a fun get.

Allen had great minor lg numbers and struggled (small sample) in the big leagues. The Padres would want some good prospects for him. I don't know if he would be the kind of guy Stearns would want to be the backup or even starter until he proves he can hit at the big lg level.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 26, 2019, 7:26 PM Post
I really hope Grandal comes back on a one or two year deal. He is a great fit as a catcher and can do some platooning with Thames at first. If not, I wouldn't be surprised if the team simply goes forward with a Pina/Nottingham combination.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 28, 2019, 12:51 PM Post
I'd be shocked if Grandal accepts a 1 year deal with anyone this winter. Some team is going to give him a 3-4 year offer for much more than what the Brewers can afford to lay out for a 30+ year old catcher.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 28, 2019, 5:03 PM Post
Jason Castro would be a nice platoon partner with Pina if we go the “cheap” route. He’s an excellent framer and handles RHP decently. OBP in the 330s vs them and wRC+ in the 110s. I doubt he’d cost more than 2 years and $4-7 mil a year.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 28, 2019, 5:22 PM Post
CrewFanBrewMan69 said:
Jason Castro would be a nice platoon partner with Pina if we go the “cheap” route. He’s an excellent framer and handles RHP decently. OBP in the 330s vs them and wRC+ in the 110s. I doubt he’d cost more than 2 years and $4-7 mil a year.

Castro Ks 1/3 of his ABs and has made $8M the last two years. If he takes a cut it will be in the $6M - $7M range. Either is too much to pay for a backup catcher when pitching is desperately needed. Imo d'Arnaud would be a much better and much cheaper option IF Grandal leaves.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 30, 2019, 11:57 AM Post
wntrtxn21 said:
CrewFanBrewMan69 said:

Castro Ks 1/3 of his ABs and has made $8M the last two years. If he takes a cut it will be in the $6M - $7M range. Either is too much to pay for a backup catcher when pitching is desperately needed. Imo d'Arnaud would be a much better and much cheaper option IF Grandal leaves.

d'Arnaud was designated for assignment by the Mets on April 28th, the Brewers had a crack at him then as a potential upgrade over Pina and passed. The Mets released d'Arnaud in May which allowed any team to sign him to a contract for a prorated veterans minimum, he ended up signing with the Dodgers and going to the minor league club before being called up. Certainly a player is going to accept a major league job before going to the minors, meaning the Brewers could have replaced Pina with d'Arnaud in May of 2019 and chose not too.

After Pina went down with an injury, the Dodgers sold 'Arnaud to the Rays, where he played in their minor leagues beore being called up. With Tampa he put up decent numbers across 350 at bats.

The guy has been around the league for 7 years and was readily available three times since the start of the 2019 season. The fact the Brewers passed on him three times when they had a chance to improve their catching depth at little to no cost suggests its very unlikely they view him as an improvement over the catchers on their roster. Furthermore, d'Arnaud is always hurt. He has missed games with injuries in 2014 (concussion and bone chips) 2015 (broken hand) 2016 (hyper-extended elbow and shoulder strain) 2017 (wrist injury) 2018 (torn UCL).

He might be ok as NRI player but to suggest anything more is a substantial overpay on a player with a lot to prove.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 31, 2019, 3:53 PM Post
Yasmani Grandal will decline his $16 million option to return to the Brewers, says Jon Heyman.

There was never any doubt about this. Grandal will get to walk away with a $2.25 million buyout. The Brewers should be willing to go higher than $16 million to bring him back next year, but it'd probably take at least a three-year deal to get him to commit anytime soon.

Source: Jon Heyman on Twitter
Oct 31, 2019, 4:26 PM ET

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 31, 2019, 6:01 PM Post
Global Moderator
turborickey said:
Yasmani Grandal will decline his $16 million option to return to the Brewers, says Jon Heyman.

There was never any doubt about this. Grandal will get to walk away with a $2.25 million buyout. The Brewers should be willing to go higher than $16 million to bring him back next year, but it'd probably take at least a three-year deal to get him to commit anytime soon.

Source: Jon Heyman on Twitter
Oct 31, 2019, 4:26 PM ET

Also from Jon Heyman...

Yasmani Grandal will decline $16M option, take $2.25M option and become free agent. He won gamble to take 1 year deal in Milwaukee for $18.25M total rather than sign longterm w/Mets ($60M, 4 year reported offer). He can’t receive another qualifying offer and should get huge deal.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 02, 2019, 10:59 PM Post
Yan Gomes had his contract bought out by the Nats & is a free agent..
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/11/ ... gomes.html

While I understand the preference of Grandal, Gomes would make sense as a much cheaper fall back option & allow funds to be reallocated to other positions of need..

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 02, 2019, 11:31 PM Post
MadThinker88 said:

While I understand the preference of Grandal, Gomes would make sense as a much cheaper fall back option & allow funds to be reallocated to other positions of need..

Is Gomes really any different than Pina?

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 03, 2019, 1:34 AM Post
82brewcrew82 said:
MadThinker88 said:

Is Gomes really any different than Pina?

Gomes has a career .297 OBP. Worse than Pina and he made over $7M last year. There are better, cheaper options out there.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 05, 2019, 6:51 AM Post
Global Moderator
The MLB Trade Rumors prediction to this question...

26. Travis d’Arnaud – Brewers. Two years, $14MM.

D’Arnaud, 31 in February, was the 37th overall pick by the Phillies out of high school back in 2007. Drafted for his defensive abilities at catcher, d’Arnaud surpassed his younger brother, Chase, as a prospect and was traded to the Blue Jays in the Phillies’ December 2009 deal for the late, great Roy Halladay. As d’Arnaud’s prospect rating continued to rise, he was included in a second major trade three years later, joining Noah Syndergaard as part of the Mets’ return for R.A. Dickey.

D’Arnaud suffered a partially torn posterior cruciate ligament in his left knee at Triple-A in the season leading up to his Mets trade, and it was a sign of things to come. The touted backstop’s Mets career spanned 407 games over parts of seven seasons and was wracked by injuries, from a broken foot in 2013 to elbow surgery in 2014 to a broken hand and sprained elbow in 2015 to a rotator cuff strain in 2016 to a bruised wrist in 2017 to Tommy John surgery in 2018. From 2015-18, d’Arnaud had an IL stint lasting at least three weeks in every season. Yikes.

Somehow, once the Mets finally gave up on him in April of this year, d’Arnaud’s fortunes changed. After a one-game stop-off with the Dodgers, d’Arnaud was dealt to the Rays and posted a 107 wRC+ in 365 plate appearances. In June and July, d’Arnaud was not only the best-hitting catcher in baseball, he was the fifth-best hitter in all of MLB. He tailed off significantly after that, but importantly was able to avoid the IL. Notably, for a catcher returning from Tommy John surgery, he threw out an above-average 29 percent of attempted thieves on the bases this season. He’s also long been considered an average or better framer. Compared to veterans Robinson Chirinos and Jason Castro, d’Arnaud offers upside along with ample injury risk. The Rays still make sense, and d’Arnaud could also be of interest to the Brewers, Nationals, Pirates, Tigers, Astros, Angels, and Rangers.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 05, 2019, 8:50 AM Post
Eye Black said:

D’Arnaud, 31 in February, was the 37th overall pick by the Phillies out of high school back in 2007. Drafted for his defensive abilities at catcher, d’Arnaud surpassed his younger brother, Chase, as a prospect and was traded to the Blue Jays in the Phillies’ December 2009 deal for the late, great Roy Halladay. As d’Arnaud’s prospect rating continued to rise, he was included in a second major trade three years later, joining Noah Syndergaard as part of the Mets’ return for R.A. Dickey.

D’Arnaud suffered a partially torn posterior cruciate ligament in his left knee at Triple-A in the season leading up to his Mets trade, and it was a sign of things to come. The touted backstop’s Mets career spanned 407 games over parts of seven seasons and was wracked by injuries, from a broken foot in 2013 to elbow surgery in 2014 to a broken hand and sprained elbow in 2015 to a rotator cuff strain in 2016 to a bruised wrist in 2017 to Tommy John surgery in 2018. From 2015-18, d’Arnaud had an IL stint lasting at least three weeks in every season. Yikes.

Somehow, once the Mets finally gave up on him in April of this year, d’Arnaud’s fortunes changed. After a one-game stop-off with the Dodgers, d’Arnaud was dealt to the Rays and posted a 107 wRC+ in 365 plate appearances. In June and July, d’Arnaud was not only the best-hitting catcher in baseball, he was the fifth-best hitter in all of MLB. He tailed off significantly after that, but importantly was able to avoid the IL. Notably, for a catcher returning from Tommy John surgery, he threw out an above-average 29 percent of attempted thieves on the bases this season. He’s also long been considered an average or better framer. Compared to veterans Robinson Chirinos and Jason Castro, d’Arnaud offers upside along with ample injury risk. The Rays still make sense, and d’Arnaud could also be of interest to the Brewers, Nationals, Pirates, Tigers, Astros, Angels, and Rangers.

I don't know. Doesn't seem like a Stearns guy to me.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 05, 2019, 8:56 AM Post
82brewcrew82 said:
Eye Black said:

I don't know. Doesn't seem like a Stearns guy to me.

I agree. I think he's too much of an injury risk for the Brewers to take a chance on. Jason Castro probably makes a little more sense as a platoon mate with Pina. Not a great average, but he takes his walks and is solid behind the dish.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 05, 2019, 9:23 AM Post
Castro is a decent option if you're sure he can sustain his performance from last year. I'm not sure his history suggests that doing so is likely.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Catcher Position for 2020

Posted: November 05, 2019, 9:48 AM Post
I like both Avila and Castro better than d'Arnaud. Both are left-handed bats that fit better with Pina. Both have better 3-year and career OBP's than d'Arnaud. d'Arnaud previously had good defensive statistics prior to 2019 (Baseball Prospectus), but really fell off last year. I suspect that might be due to noise in the system as his reputation is pretty good. But on the other hand, both Avila and Castro have ranked in the top 30 of the catcher metrics in each of the last two seasons.

d'Arnaud's injury history is what really steers me away from him. It also looks like he will be the highest paid of the three, and frankly if the Brewers cannot afford Grandal then I would rather go cheap with a catcher to pair with Pina.

About the only advantage that I can see with d'Arnaud is that he is two years younger than the other guys although he will be 31 when next season starts. Late bloomers always pop up and maybe d'Arnaud will be that guy, although I doubt it.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 05, 2019, 12:11 PM Post
Offer Grandal 5/75M. 2020-$18M, 2021- $18M, 2022- $15M, 2023 team option $12M, $5M buyout, 2024- team option 12M, $2M buyout.

That's 56M guaranteed. 3-5 years of control and team flexibility.

The guy is really good and versatile (switch hitter, can play 1st). He is a huge part of the lineup, a good value WAR-wise, and we've got the money to spend.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 05, 2019, 5:16 PM Post
Oxy said:
Offer Grandal 5/75M. 2020-$18M, 2021- $18M, 2022- $15M, 2023 team option $12M, $5M buyout, 2024- team option 12M, $2M buyout.

The guy is really good and versatile (switch hitter, can play 1st). He is a huge part of the lineup, a good value WAR-wise, and we've got the money to spend.

Up it to 5/$90M, and you might pull it off - albeit if you can get Grandal to defer the payments.

$10 million bonus
$16 million/year for 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Catcher Position for 2020

Posted: November 05, 2019, 5:58 PM Post
Global Moderator
clancyphile said:
Oxy said:

Up it to 5/$90M, and you might pull it off - albeit if you can get Grandal to defer the payments.

$10 million bonus

Are we bidding against ouselves here?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 05, 2019, 6:04 PM Post
PeaveyFury said:
clancyphile said:
Oxy said:

$10 million bonus

Are we bidding against ouselves here?

Nah. Clancy is bidding against me. He can have him if those aren't option years.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 66 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply