LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83  Next  [ 1651 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Hader trade ideas

Offline  Re: Hader trade ideas
Posted: December 29, 2020, 1:26 PM Post
Nate, I believe Santana went to the Cubs in the trade yesterday.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 29, 2020, 2:13 PM Post
Austin Tatious said:
Nate, I believe Santana went to the Cubs in the trade yesterday.

Shoot missed that. Instead of Santana would substitute him for LHP Haynes.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 29, 2020, 3:23 PM Post
Its just a matter if you want quality or quantity.

Quality happens during the season and quantity happens in the off season.

Quality ( #3 and #7 Prospect) vs Quantity ( #5, #6, #10 prospect)

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 29, 2020, 3:30 PM Post
And interested teams like the Padres and Dodgers systems are so deep that quantity wouldn’t necessarily be a bad thing.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 29, 2020, 4:45 PM Post
Global Moderator
wibadgers23 said:
And interested teams like the Padres and Dodgers systems are so deep that quantity wouldn’t necessarily be a bad thing.

Very likely what the Cubs' rationale was yesterday.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 29, 2020, 6:09 PM Post
nate82 said:
I don't believe the Padres will include Cronenworth in a trade for Hader. If the Brewers trade Hader to the Padres it will be a mostly prospect laden deal the Brewers might be able to get Weathers but that would be the only player who would be MLB ready.

I think this is what a trade to the Padres would look like:

Brewers receive:
LHP Weathers
LHP Cruz
OF Head
SS Santana

Padres receive:
LHP Hader

This would give the Brewers another young starting pitcher in Weathers a premiere prospect in Head and two wildcards in Cruz and Santana.

I guess if you are completely giving up on the 2021 and 2022 seasons that would be a good enough package. I'd much rather see Hader go and at least fill the 3B or 1B black hole immediately. Their offense is not anywhere good enough to compete if those two spots are as bad as last year.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 29, 2020, 7:10 PM Post
wntrtxn21 said:

I guess if you are completely giving up on the 2021 and 2022 seasons that would be a good enough package. I'd much rather see Hader go and at least fill the 3B or 1B black hole immediately. Their offense is not anywhere good enough to compete if those two spots are as bad as last year.

Then you are looking at a Sexson or Overbay type of a trade. You could also add Meyers to that trade but that is a lot of money for the Brewers to take on and that fixes your 1B black hole immediately. The Brewers can't just be looking at filling certain holes here and there they need to fill the minors with as much young talent as they can. Trading for MLB talent when trading Hader is just a losing strategy IMHO.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 30, 2020, 8:38 AM Post
PeaveyFury said:
It's hard to know whether that's the market, or whether that's what the Cubs wanted. It's possible they chose the lottery tickets (quantity/quality, etc.).

Well here's an attempt to clear that up for you...

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1 ... 04/photo/1

It doesn't matter how much money owners have in the bank, they don't tolerate fiscal losses. The Cubs took lottery tickets because it was the best they could get in a cost cutting move. No one takes lottery tickets over a premium prospect if both are on the table. Very few buyers out there right now.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 30, 2020, 10:58 AM Post
I have to think the recent trades by SD make it more likely for the LAD to pull off a Hader trade, not the SDP.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 30, 2020, 11:14 AM Post
Global Moderator
balsamlaker said:
I have to think the recent trades by SD make it more likely for the LAD to pull off a Hader trade, not the SDP.

Perhaps from a financial standpoint, but definitely not from a talent standpoint. Their farm was so loaded that they still have 4 top 100 prospects...

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 30, 2020, 11:18 AM Post
Really hoping that San Diego and LA end up in a bidding war for Hader. That would end very well for the Brewers.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 30, 2020, 12:30 PM Post
I dont see why the Padres wouldnt just re-sign Yates.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 30, 2020, 12:46 PM Post
BestInTheWorld said:

or bring back Brad Hand....

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 30, 2020, 12:47 PM Post
MadThinker88 said:
BestInTheWorld said:

Agreed, there's plenty of closers available to sign.

I guess I just don't see them giving up more prospects for Hader.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 30, 2020, 1:44 PM Post
BestInTheWorld said:
MadThinker88 said:
BestInTheWorld said:

Agreed, there's plenty of closers available to sign.

I guess I just don't see them giving up more prospects for Hader.

Good takes, I agree with all of them...

Signing the above guys cost them no prospects, Nothing...

I think Brewers fans that think the Dodgers and Padres will have a bidding war for Hader are mistaken...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 30, 2020, 2:00 PM Post
Good takes, I agree with all of them...

Signing the above guys cost them no prospects, Nothing...

I think Brewers fans that think the Dodgers and Padres will have a bidding war for Hader are mistaken...

Agreed, neither have a reason to trade more prospects for Hader when Hand, Hendricks, etc are out there to sign.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 30, 2020, 2:08 PM Post
Tack on that Hader's estimated to make $5.65M this year with significant increases each of the next two years after that, those options may cost less financially as well.

I just wouldn't be desperate enough to give anything up for him if I was another team right now. You're better off starting the season with what you got and see if there's a need. Then *if* your bullpen is failing *and* Hader hasn't fallen off a cliff, *maybe* you overvalue him enough at the trade deadline to make an offer the Brewers will pull the trigger on. Even then, that's going to be hard for the Brewers to do *if* they're competing for a playoff spot.

But we'll see!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 30, 2020, 11:12 PM Post
Global Moderator
Quote from AJ Preller earlier today on what he’s still working on:

"Now we'll continue to look at rounding out the roster. We're in the process of finalizing a few things. We always talk about the bullpen, which has to be re-shuffled each year. Definitely looking at the bullpen mix."

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 01, 2021, 9:21 AM Post
Yesterday I was looking up the projected WARs of some players to get an idea of possible trades. Kind of kicking around an idea that would start with Kris Bryant to the Mets (big-name but very little surplus value due to just 1 year of control left), J.D. Davis (and maybe Dominic Smith as well) to the Brewers to fill their holes, and Josh Hader to the Mets with the Cubs and Brewers throwing a whole lot more to the Mets to get this all to work. I was shocked to see that Steamer is only projecting Hader as a 1.0 WAR player in 2021. Personally, I think Hader good for about 6.6 WAR over the next three years, which would put his surplus value in the 30-35 million range. But if MLB teams only project him as a 3 WAR player over the next three years, then his surplus value is probably less than 5 million and the Brewers are only likely to get a couple lottery ticket type prospects for him.

If that is how the market is evaluating Hader, then him being a "hold" is the easiest decision in the history of major league baseball.

I really have a problem with Steamer's number on Hader. If you pro-rate 2020's numbers out for a full year, Hader was only a 1 bWAR/fWAR player. But he was at 2.5 bWAR/fWAR in 2019 and 2.4 bWAR/fWAR in 2018. Meanwhile, you have a guy like J.D. Davis for the Mets. Same numbers for Davis is 0.9 in 2020, 1.7 in 2019 and -0.8 in 2018...Steamer projects him at 2.2 for 2021. I'd be really interested to see how they came up with that number for Davis as it's at a level that he's never come close to in the past.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 01, 2021, 9:32 AM Post
Steamer has always been, well, a steaming pile of dog poo when it comes to Brewers projections.

Also, IMO, WAR is a rough way to judge reliever value. That stat unfairly hurts relievers because it doesn't take high leverage innings and situations into account. It downgrades relievers simply because they don't pitch many innings to accumulate counting stats.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83  Next  [ 1651 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply