LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 95, 96, 97, 98, 99  [ 1977 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Hader trade ideas

Online  Re: Hader trade ideas
Posted: March 14, 2021, 2:05 PM Post
I think if they played in the same league/division it might be easier to compare with using World Series as a marker. I’d say the two franchises have been very good at using their resources wisely to compete at high levels.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Offline  Re: Hader trade ideas
Posted: March 14, 2021, 2:53 PM Post
I'm fine with saying the Rays have had more success than us. The Rays are pretty much the gold standard for how to run a small market. They have done this with numerous disadvantages -- one, playing in the AL East, and two, no fan support, two obstacles that we fortunately haven't had to deal with.

That said, we're definitely somewhere in the upper echelon. I think Mark A's preferences play a lot into our style. I think he likes to try to compete every year, and plays a little bit more conservatively in trading. I think the Rays ownership is a bit more willing to make risky trades with high potential upside and are also willing to step back and just do a year or two of a full rebuild if needed rather than try to compete in the middle.

Posted: March 14, 2021, 10:35 PM Post
wntrtxn21 said:
turborickey said:
The Rays have been in the World Series twice in the last 12 years. The Brewers zero.

And the Rays lost to the same team that eliminated the Brewers in 2020. Very similar.

Coincidentally, a version of this feat has happened EVERY time the Brewers have made the postseason: The Brewers have lost to either the World Series Champs (5x) or the World Series loser (the other 2x).

1981: Lost to the Yankees, who lost in the WS to the Dodgers
1982: Lost in the WS to the Cardinals
2008: Lost to the Phillies, who won the WS
2011: Lost to the Cardinals, who won the WS
2018: Lost to the Dodgers, who lost in the WS to Boston
2019: Lost to the Nationals, who won the WS
2020: Lost to the Dodgers, who won the WS

That's unusual if not kind of amazing.

Posted: March 16, 2021, 12:30 AM Post
Ron Robinson's Beard said:
HiAndTight said:
I think Hader is still a Brewer because the Brewers are a contending ballclub that benefits greatly from having one of the best relievers in the game on their roster. I don't think its any more complicated than that. Sure, if a team wanted to offer crazy value for him, the Brewers would have to listen. But a player like him is incredibly valuable to a playoff team like the Brewers, and they have valued him likewise.

So you don't think it's because they put what seems like a totally unreasonable price tag on him?

Asking for Abrams...that has to tell teams you're not really serious. Asking for Abrams PLUS a young left handed reliever you just gave an 11 million dollar signing bonus to, who throws in the upper 90's and has elite stuff?

They put the price tag on him that THEY'VE deemed appropriate to get him, because of the value he brings to their team. Why would a team with contending aspirations trade away one of the top relievers in the game without getting crazy value back? The Brewers are far from being in a situation where they have to trade him. Just because talking heads or some other teams don't seem to value high-leverage relievers, it doesn't mean that the Brewers need to fall in line with that.

Then why even bother to shop him...why bother to take offers? If you're asking for Abrams AND another high ceiling prospect, you're not serious about trading him.

I think it's more likely that the rumors aren't accurate. I have a hard time believing they'd say no to Abrams.

Posted: March 16, 2021, 3:41 AM Post
There have been many rumors about what the Brewers are asking for Hader, especially out of San Diego. First it was they ONLY want MLB ready players, not maybes. Then it was they want an MLB ready guy and a top prospect. Now it's they want multiple top prospects. My highly uneducated guess is that they are looking for immediate help plus a top prospect and San Diego isn't a good fit. We'll never know unless a deal gets done and that's looking less and less likely every day.

Posted: March 16, 2021, 7:00 AM Post
HiAndTight said:
Then why even bother to shop him...why bother to take offers? If you're asking for Abrams AND another high ceiling prospect, you're not serious about trading him.

I think it's more likely that the rumors aren't accurate. I have a hard time believing they'd say no to Abrams.

They aren't shopping him. They never have. They just aren't telling teams that he isn't available. I'm sure from the Brewers point of view, if the Padres are serious about competing with the Dodgers for the next several seasons, they'll step up to shore up the one area of their team where the Dodgers have a sizable advantage - the bullpen. If the Padres don't ... good luck.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Posted: March 16, 2021, 7:06 AM Post
HiAndTight said:

They aren't shopping him. They never have. They just aren't telling teams that he isn't available. I'm sure from the Brewers point of view, if the Padres are serious about competing with the Dodgers for the next several seasons, they'll step up to shore up the one area of their team where the Dodgers have a sizable advantage - the bullpen. If the Padres don't ... good luck.

Bingo. They have their price when people come asking as they should. The rest of this is just bored people discussing stuff that more than likely will never occur.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Posted: March 16, 2021, 7:18 AM Post
Brew4U said:
HiAndTight said:

Bingo. They have their price when people come asking as they should. The rest of this is just bored people discussing stuff that more than likely will never occur.

And ... for some reason ... searching for a reason to be mad at Stearns. I mean, Stearns has made plenty of moves that you can justifiably complain about, but I don't think the decision to not yet trade Josh Hader is one of them.

Posted: March 16, 2021, 11:53 AM Post
Has anyone really been mad at Stearns for not trading Hader? Maybe a couple of people in game threads being reactionary when Hader blows a save, but that's about it.

Posted: March 16, 2021, 12:18 PM Post
adambr2 said:
Has anyone really been mad at Stearns for not trading Hader? Maybe a couple of people in game threads being reactionary when Hader blows a save, but that's about it.

That was more aimed at the "what's the point of shopping him if they aren't serious about trading him" narrative.

Posted: March 16, 2021, 12:20 PM Post
I agree no harm putting the name out there and no harm asking for the moon either if a team comes calling and meets the asking price then you have to make the move.

Posted: March 16, 2021, 1:05 PM Post
Global Moderator
Jopal78! said:
adambr2 said:
beekay414 said:

Dominguez swings like Eric Thames. I have my doubts.

He just turned 18 last month. I don't think you'll ever find a fully developed 18 year old prospect.

Which is why teams don’t trade all star pitchers for 18 year old kids.

James Shields for Fernando Tatis, Jr.

Okay, the former was an all-star anymore. And Tatis was 17 at the time.

Posted: March 17, 2021, 12:39 AM Post
adambr2 said:

Nope.
I'm just not buying that the Brewers are turning down a top ~10 SS prospect for him, or that they're demanding Abrams AND another very good prospect.

It feels like they're piecing together rumors about the Brewers wanting an MLB ready piece...and a prospect and citing the best prospect they've got(arguably) and a young player who's MLB ready.

The "searching for some reason to get made at Stearns" is just...kinda out of nowhere and ridiculous.

Posted: March 17, 2021, 6:14 AM Post
HiAndTight said:
adambr2 said:

Nope.
I'm just not buying that the Brewers are turning down a top ~10 SS prospect for him, or that they're demanding Abrams AND another very good prospect.

It feels like they're piecing together rumors about the Brewers wanting an MLB ready piece...and a prospect and citing the best prospect they've got(arguably) and a young player who's MLB ready.

The "searching for some reason to get made at Stearns" is just...kinda out of nowhere and ridiculous.

You said "Then why even bother to shop him...why bother to take offers? If you're asking for Abrams AND another high ceiling prospect, you're not serious about trading him." Sorry if I am misreading what you posted there, but it certainly appears to me that you are criticizing the team for shopping Hader with unrealistic expectations concerning his value. If I am misinterpreting your point, I apologize.

Posted: March 17, 2021, 11:32 PM Post
HiAndTight said:
adambr2 said:

Nope.

You said "Then why even bother to shop him...why bother to take offers? If you're asking for Abrams AND another high ceiling prospect, you're not serious about trading him." Sorry if I am misreading what you posted there, but it certainly appears to me that you are criticizing the team for shopping Hader with unrealistic expectations concerning his value. If I am misinterpreting your point, I apologize.

Right...but then I said;

"I think it's more likely that the rumors aren't accurate. I have a hard time believing they'd say no to Abrams."

I don't think Stearns would turn down that type of talent for Hader...and I don't think the Pads would give it up, and I'm a big fan of Stearns and how he's built this team.

I think writers insert players based on the parameters they hear the Brewers are looking for. A prospect and an MLB ready player. So they look at a teams top prospects and find a prospect that fits what Stearns covets. Then they find a young player who's already played in the big leagues and they throw those names out there.

Stearns just doesn't telegraph his moves like this. Hader will probably go to a team we haven't discussed and for players we haven't talked about.

Posted: March 18, 2021, 6:08 AM Post
HiAndTight said:
Right...but then I said;

"I think it's more likely that the rumors aren't accurate. I have a hard time believing they'd say no to Abrams."

I don't think Stearns would turn down that type of talent for Hader...and I don't think the Pads would give it up, and I'm a big fan of Stearns and how he's built this team.

I think writers insert players based on the parameters they hear the Brewers are looking for. A prospect and an MLB ready player. So they look at a teams top prospects and find a prospect that fits what Stearns covets. Then they find a young player who's already played in the big leagues and they throw those names out there.

Stearns just doesn't telegraph his moves like this. Hader will probably go to a team we haven't discussed and for players we haven't talked about.

Right on. Thanks for clarifying. Sorry for my obvious misinterpretation.

Posted: March 18, 2021, 1:07 PM Post
Global Moderator
Coming up on a hundred pages now & it looks like Hader will be a Milwaukee Brewer to open 2021.

Gonna lock this bad boy up for now, but feel free to start a new thread brainstorming ideas for the deadline if anyone feels so inclined.

Go to page Previous  1 ... 95, 96, 97, 98, 99  [ 1977 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply