LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

[ 10 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Nick Castellanos

Online  Nick Castellanos

Posted: November 04, 2019, 3:10 PM Post
The more I think about it, the more I could see the Brewers making a play for Nick Castellanos to fill their 1B vacancy. He's a RH power bat with a low K rate and solid average and OBP. I think his defensive deficiencies at 3B and in the corner OF are going to keep the amount of teams interested in him down, and keep him in a contract range that is affordable for the Brewers. Granted he has never played 1B in the majors, but he's 6'4" with a large wingspan, so I would imagine that it's a position he could handle. The best part is that he is only going to be entering his age 28 season, so the signing team is going to get him during the theoretical prime of his career.

Thoughts? What kind of contract is he looking at? Would the fact that there are so many other 1B options out there that would be cheaper nix this idea?

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Nick Castellanos

Posted: November 04, 2019, 3:23 PM Post
He made Braun look playable at 3B when he played there. I’d have doubts he can handle 1B. He’s an awful OF’er too. I agree that for all his appeal with the bat he likely costs less than he should because of the defense deficiencies and whatever contract he gets we should be able to afford, I’m thinking he gets 4/55 or 5/65 or so. But him at 1B could be a disaster and it’s certainly a risk.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Nick Castellanos

Posted: November 04, 2019, 3:42 PM Post
Interesting to think about. I think a 5 year deal around $10-$12 million per season is what he could expect. He’s a good hitter, but he doesn’t exactly walk a lot. He would need to maintain a .280 average or so to really be worth the contract. I don’t think letting Thames walk, but bringing in Castellanos at a higher AAV would make much sense. Especially when Thames has more pop and gets on base pretty much at the same clip as Castellanos does.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 3:52 PM Post
RollieTime said:
Interesting to think about. I think a 5 year deal around $10-$12 million per season is what he could expect. He’s a good hitter, but he doesn’t exactly walk a lot. He would need to maintain a .280 average or so to really be worth the contract. I don’t think letting Thames walk, but bringing in Castellanos at a higher AAV would make much sense. Especially when Thames has more pop and gets on base pretty much at the same clip as Castellanos does.

I get what you're saying. Castellanos would not need to be platooned, though, which does add to his value. Of course there is the question of whether he can or would even want to play 1B as well. Apparently the Tigers tried to get him to move to 1B to cover for one of Cabrera's many injuries at one point, and he refused, saying he wanted to concentrate on becoming a better RF.

Still, that bat in the Brewers' lineup would be dreamy.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 4:25 PM Post
His defense in RF for the Cubs was not an issue. Whether he can handle 1B is another question. I'd keep an eye on Jose Abreu as a first base option.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 6:04 PM Post
Good hitter. Young.

Looks like he's never played first base in the big leagues. They had to move him off third.

I suppose you could sign him and see who looks better at first base between him and braun in spring and play the other in LF.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 6:08 PM Post
JohnBriggs12 said:
His defense in RF for the Cubs was not an issue. Whether he can handle 1B is another question. I'd keep an eye on Jose Abreu as a first base option.

The White Sox think they have a legit shot next year. Team has money to spend. They aren't letting Abreu go anywhere. He's already stated he wants to stay in Chicago with the Sox. Zero chance he moves.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 6:16 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
RollieTime said:

I get what you're saying. Castellanos would not need to be platooned, though, which does add to his value. Of course there is the question of whether he can or would even want to play 1B as well. Apparently the Tigers tried to get him to move to 1B to cover for one of Cabrera's many injuries at one point, and he refused, saying he wanted to concentrate on becoming a better RF.

Still, that bat in the Brewers' lineup would be dreamy.

Castellanos told the Tigers he would not play 1B under any circumstances. He wants to be an OF, period. If the Brewers made a move for him it would be with the intent of making Braun the every day 1B. Of course the $14-15M he will get almost ends any talk of Moose or Grandal coming back. Both those guys are much harder to replace than an OF or 1B.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 6:52 PM Post
I'd be surprised if the Cubs don't get him back the way he played with them...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 7:43 PM Post
Contract guesses are finally starting to come in. Looks like Castellanos is right in the 4 year, 58-64 million dollar territory. Way too rich for my blood considering the defense is such a major negative. We'll see what he ends up getting as many estimates have missed way high the last couple of years.

Quote   Reply 
 [ 10 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply