LambeauLeap1250 WSSP


  
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next  [ 128 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Nick Castellanos

Author Message
Offline  Nick Castellanos
#1

Posted: November 04, 2019, 3:10 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 10234
The more I think about it, the more I could see the Brewers making a play for Nick Castellanos to fill their 1B vacancy. He's a RH power bat with a low K rate and solid average and OBP. I think his defensive deficiencies at 3B and in the corner OF are going to keep the amount of teams interested in him down, and keep him in a contract range that is affordable for the Brewers. Granted he has never played 1B in the majors, but he's 6'4" with a large wingspan, so I would imagine that it's a position he could handle. The best part is that he is only going to be entering his age 28 season, so the signing team is going to get him during the theoretical prime of his career.

Thoughts? What kind of contract is he looking at? Would the fact that there are so many other 1B options out there that would be cheaper nix this idea?


 Top
 
Offline  Re: Nick Castellanos
#2

Posted: November 04, 2019, 3:23 PM Post
Posts: 325
He made Braun look playable at 3B when he played there. I’d have doubts he can handle 1B. He’s an awful OF’er too. I agree that for all his appeal with the bat he likely costs less than he should because of the defense deficiencies and whatever contract he gets we should be able to afford, I’m thinking he gets 4/55 or 5/65 or so. But him at 1B could be a disaster and it’s certainly a risk.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: Nick Castellanos
#3

Posted: November 04, 2019, 3:42 PM Post
Posts: 1172
Location: Washburn, WI
Interesting to think about. I think a 5 year deal around $10-$12 million per season is what he could expect. He’s a good hitter, but he doesn’t exactly walk a lot. He would need to maintain a .280 average or so to really be worth the contract. I don’t think letting Thames walk, but bringing in Castellanos at a higher AAV would make much sense. Especially when Thames has more pop and gets on base pretty much at the same clip as Castellanos does.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: Nick Castellanos
#4

Posted: November 04, 2019, 3:52 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 10234
RollieTime said:
Interesting to think about. I think a 5 year deal around $10-$12 million per season is what he could expect. He’s a good hitter, but he doesn’t exactly walk a lot. He would need to maintain a .280 average or so to really be worth the contract. I don’t think letting Thames walk, but bringing in Castellanos at a higher AAV would make much sense. Especially when Thames has more pop and gets on base pretty much at the same clip as Castellanos does.


I get what you're saying. Castellanos would not need to be platooned, though, which does add to his value. Of course there is the question of whether he can or would even want to play 1B as well. Apparently the Tigers tried to get him to move to 1B to cover for one of Cabrera's many injuries at one point, and he refused, saying he wanted to concentrate on becoming a better RF.

Still, that bat in the Brewers' lineup would be dreamy.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: Nick Castellanos
#5

Posted: November 04, 2019, 4:25 PM Post
Posts: 12338
His defense in RF for the Cubs was not an issue. Whether he can handle 1B is another question. I'd keep an eye on Jose Abreu as a first base option.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: Nick Castellanos
#6

Posted: November 04, 2019, 6:04 PM Post
Posts: 834
Good hitter. Young.

Looks like he's never played first base in the big leagues. They had to move him off third.

I suppose you could sign him and see who looks better at first base between him and braun in spring and play the other in LF.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: Nick Castellanos
#7

Posted: November 04, 2019, 6:08 PM Post
Posts: 753
JohnBriggs12 said:
His defense in RF for the Cubs was not an issue. Whether he can handle 1B is another question. I'd keep an eye on Jose Abreu as a first base option.


The White Sox think they have a legit shot next year. Team has money to spend. They aren't letting Abreu go anywhere. He's already stated he wants to stay in Chicago with the Sox. Zero chance he moves.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: Nick Castellanos
#8

Posted: November 04, 2019, 6:16 PM Post
Posts: 753
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
RollieTime said:
Interesting to think about. I think a 5 year deal around $10-$12 million per season is what he could expect. He’s a good hitter, but he doesn’t exactly walk a lot. He would need to maintain a .280 average or so to really be worth the contract. I don’t think letting Thames walk, but bringing in Castellanos at a higher AAV would make much sense. Especially when Thames has more pop and gets on base pretty much at the same clip as Castellanos does.


I get what you're saying. Castellanos would not need to be platooned, though, which does add to his value. Of course there is the question of whether he can or would even want to play 1B as well. Apparently the Tigers tried to get him to move to 1B to cover for one of Cabrera's many injuries at one point, and he refused, saying he wanted to concentrate on becoming a better RF.

Still, that bat in the Brewers' lineup would be dreamy.


Castellanos told the Tigers he would not play 1B under any circumstances. He wants to be an OF, period. If the Brewers made a move for him it would be with the intent of making Braun the every day 1B. Of course the $14-15M he will get almost ends any talk of Moose or Grandal coming back. Both those guys are much harder to replace than an OF or 1B.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: Nick Castellanos
#9

Posted: November 04, 2019, 6:52 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 11280
I'd be surprised if the Cubs don't get him back the way he played with them...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS


 Top
 
Offline  Re: Nick Castellanos
#10

Posted: November 04, 2019, 7:43 PM Post
Posts: 2242
Location: Madison, WI
Contract guesses are finally starting to come in. Looks like Castellanos is right in the 4 year, 58-64 million dollar territory. Way too rich for my blood considering the defense is such a major negative. We'll see what he ends up getting as many estimates have missed way high the last couple of years.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: Nick Castellanos
#11

Posted: November 27, 2019, 11:19 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 3446
Location: California
wntrtxn21 said:
Castellanos told the Tigers he would not play 1B under any circumstances. He wants to be an OF, period.

I am curious where he said this? He seems like an ideal candidate to try to convert to a 1B given his relative uninspiring D at OF/3B. If the Brewers could afford it, which I think they can, signing him and Moose to play the corners would lead to a beautifully constructed lineup now that they also have Urias.

1. Cain
2. Yelich
3. Hiura
4. Moose
5. Castellanos
6. Braun
7. Urias
8. Pina


 Top
 
Offline  Re: Nick Castellanos
#12

Posted: November 27, 2019, 11:53 AM Post
Posts: 78
Warning Track Power said:
wntrtxn21 said:
Castellanos told the Tigers he would not play 1B under any circumstances. He wants to be an OF, period.

I am curious where he said this? He seems like an ideal candidate to try to convert to a 1B given his relative uninspiring D at OF/3B. If the Brewers could afford it, which I think they can, signing him and Moose to play the corners would lead to a beautifully constructed lineup now that they also have Urias.

1. Cain
2. Yelich
3. Hiura
4. Moose
5. Castellanos
6. Braun
7. Urias
8. Pina


With the remaining money the Brewers could still sign Wheeler (4/72) and Lyles (2/12) at their fangraph projections and keep the payroll under 125m.

That lineup with Woodruff/Wheeler/Houser/Lyles/Lauer in the rotation and Hader/Knebel/Suter/Peralta in the pen. Heck yeah


Last edited by Vollbc74 on November 27, 2019, 11:59 AM, edited 1 time in total.

 Top
 
Offline  Re: Nick Castellanos
#13

Posted: November 27, 2019, 11:54 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 10234
After dealing Grisham, the Brewers have a corner OF hole. Castellanos would fill that nicely.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: Nick Castellanos
#14

Posted: November 27, 2019, 12:41 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 6655
With Grandal and Grisham gone, and Thames and Moustakas free agents, aren't the Brewers in need of LH bats?


 Top
 
Offline  Re: Nick Castellanos
#15

Posted: November 27, 2019, 1:17 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 10234
LouisEly said:
With Grandal and Grisham gone, and Thames and Moustakas free agents, aren't the Brewers in need of LH bats?


Not necessarily. Yelich is obviously still left handed, as are Shaw and Gamel. Chances are they will sign a LHH 1st baseman, and I still think Moose stands a good chance of being back. Personally I want to see a lineup that isn't so lefty heavy. They really seemed to struggle against lefty pitching last year it seemed.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: Nick Castellanos
#16

Posted: November 30, 2019, 12:09 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 3632
I would absolutely love if Stearns signed Castellanos to play 1B. I don't see why Castellanos would object, as there is a good chance he gets signed as a DH as it is. He's an everyday player, but he crushes LHP in particular so would bring some more balance to the lineup.

Is this realistic? Beats me, but don't forgot that last season Stearns signed Mike Moustakas to play 2B [laughing]


 Top
 
Offline  Re: Nick Castellanos
#17

Posted: November 30, 2019, 5:19 PM Post
Posts: 239
We'd have to give up our first round pick to sign him right?


 Top
 
Offline  Re: Nick Castellanos
#18

Posted: November 30, 2019, 5:26 PM Post
Posts: 1307
Location: Ohio
RWeeksFan23 said:
We'd have to give up our first round pick to sign him right?


No. Castellanos was ineligible for a qualifying offer this time around since he was dealt during the 2019 season..

None of the remaining 7 players that declined a QO would net their former club a pick before the 2nd round. They would all produce picks between Comp B selections and the 3rd round.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: Nick Castellanos
#19

Posted: December 01, 2019, 12:31 AM Post
Posts: 1172
Location: Washburn, WI
Warning Track Power said:
wntrtxn21 said:
Castellanos told the Tigers he would not play 1B under any circumstances. He wants to be an OF, period.

I am curious where he said this? He seems like an ideal candidate to try to convert to a 1B given his relative uninspiring D at OF/3B. If the Brewers could afford it, which I think they can, signing him and Moose to play the corners would lead to a beautifully constructed lineup now that they also have Urias.

1. Cain
2. Yelich
3. Hiura
4. Moose
5. Castellanos
6. Braun
7. Urias
8. Pina


The more I think about this, the more I think Castellanos would be a great bat to add to the middle of the lineup. This lineup looks like a bunch of runs to me!

With him being so young, you could sign him to a 5 year deal and that still only takes him through his age 32 season. He’s one of those guys I think Stearns will explore bringing in given his age and the Brewers’ need for an impact bat that won’t break the bank.

Also, does anyone have a picture of his batted balls at Comerica Park from last season or even 2018 and can lay it over Miller Park? Not sure where to find that or how to do it. But I am interested in seeing if he would turn a few of those doubles into home runs at Miller Park and could possibly be a guy that hits .285 with 30 homers and 35+ doubles per season if playing half his games at Miller Park.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: Nick Castellanos
#20

Posted: December 01, 2019, 8:06 AM Post
Posts: 12338
Great bat but for it to work, they'd have to feel comfortable with either him or Braun as the everyday first baseman. It's not that easy of a transition. I think it would be more likely that they'd move Braun to 1B to open up an OF spot for Castellanos, who was not a liability in the Cub outfield. He's fine playing corner OF in a smaller park.


 Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next  [ 128 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
  


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search this forum (phpBB search):
Jump to:  
Search entire board (Google search):
Google
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Test