LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  [ 128 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Nick Castellanos

Offline  Re: Nick Castellanos
Posted: January 13, 2020, 9:09 AM Post
StearnsFTW said:
I've said this before, but he's not going to sign anywhere that wants him to play 3b. He wants to be an outfielder.

Pretty sure that he recently said he'd be willing to play corner infield. Of course, that could have simply been to increase his marketability. But I agree, that ship has likely sailed after signing Garcia, Smoak and Gyorko.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Posted: January 13, 2020, 12:12 PM Post
Ron Robinson's Beard said:
StearnsFTW said:
I've said this before, but he's not going to sign anywhere that wants him to play 3b. He wants to be an outfielder.

Pretty sure that he recently said he'd be willing to play corner infield. Of course, that could have simply been to increase his marketability. But I agree, that ship has likely sailed after signing Garcia, Smoak and Gyorko.

Castellanos said he would be willing to move to firstbase later in his career after he couldn't play OF anymore.

Posted: January 13, 2020, 12:42 PM Post
wntrtxn21 said:
Ron Robinson's Beard said:
StearnsFTW said:

Castellanos said he would be willing to move to firstbase later in his career after he couldn't play OF anymore.

He never could to begin with. Santana's numbers in the OF are better.

Posted: January 16, 2020, 1:26 PM Post
As unlikely as it is, I still hope we find a way to bring Castellanos in. With Cain, Yelich, and Garcia in the outfield with Braun seeing some time in the outfield and at first base, I still feel like there is room for Castellanos on this roster. Injuries will arise, Cain and Yelich will both need 10-15 days off during the season to stay healthy, Braun will start 110 games or so at the most. Garcia will need a few days off as well. It might be a little bit of a crunch this season, but get that big bat locked up now for 5 years (who is still only 27 years old!) that honestly carries much less risk with him than others on the free agent market with playing 148 games or more 5/6 seasons and being so young while hitting free agency.

He could be signed to a 6 year deal and that will STILL only take him through his age 33 season. He is one of those value targets that could slot into your 3 or 4 hole for 5+ years while making under $20 million. He could also still mature as a player and improve since he is just entering his prime.

I really hope we can bring in Castellanos. Yelich, Cain, Garcia, and Castellanos could all realistically get 500 atbats this season. Braun can get 400 with playing a little time in the outfield, starting 60 games at first, and pinch hitting/DHing. It’s never a bad option to have a good bench of one of Garcia/Braun/Yelich/Castellanos on the bench with guys like Smoak Sogard, or Gyorko to pinch hit as well. The quality and depth of our hitters would be quite impressive up and down the roster.

And just for fun and to give it a little bit more of a realistic vibe, Castellanos and Garcia both play right field. Castellanos starts the game and is removed after the 7th or 8th inning or moved to first? [wink] Maybe Stearns was planning on Castellanos all along!

CF Cain
2B Hiura
LF Yelich
RF Castellanos/Garcia late game substitution
C Narvaez
1B Braun
SS Urias
3B Gyorko/Sogard
P

I could see that lineup hanging with any of the other top lineups in the game. Hopefully Castellanos is still in play for us. With Donaldson off the board, Castellanos could be the next domino to fall. Hopefully it’s to the Brewers. His entire career has been in the upper Midwest as well (Detroit/Chicago). Maybe he is one of those guys that would like to stay in the upper Midwest. Location does play a factor for some players.

Posted: January 16, 2020, 2:55 PM Post
So we signed Garcia to only play RF from the 7th or 8th inning on? Gamel can do that for free.

Hmmm, I think we could have spent his money eles where if that is the case.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Posted: January 16, 2020, 3:45 PM Post
Yeah Garcia was not signed to be a late game sub. Never say never, because we've been unconventional about roster construction before, but I doubt Castellanos is in play for us.

Posted: January 16, 2020, 4:28 PM Post
Most people don't know that Garcia's numbers were very close to Castellanos' numbers last year. Stearns went the cheaper route with Garcia, so I seriously doubt he would invest the big money and long term deal in Castellanos.
Castellanos: 615 ABs - .289/.337 - 27 HRs - 73 RBI
Garcia: 489 ABs - .282/.332 - 20 HRs - 72 RBI

Posted: January 16, 2020, 7:05 PM Post
wntrtxn21 said:
Most people don't know that Garcia's numbers were very close to Castellanos' numbers last year. Stearns went the cheaper route with Garcia, so I seriously doubt he would invest the big money and long term deal in Castellanos.
Castellanos: 615 ABs - .289/.337 - 27 HRs - 73 RBI
Garcia: 489 ABs - .282/.332 - 20 HRs - 72 RBI

Garcia can also play a defensive position other than DH.

Posted: January 16, 2020, 7:23 PM Post
I didn’t mean it as a strictly late game substitution. That would be a best case scenario with everybody healthy and playing every single day, which won’t happen. They would all get 500+ at bats filling in for injuries and off days. It was more of just an idea on days that Castellanos, Yelich, and Cain all play that he can come in late.

Why is it that someone can make a post here now and people take one sentence out of it the whole post and run with it? Sheesh. Not sure why you all skipped over the part about him still getting 500 at bats in my post. If he’s strictly a late game sub, obviously he wouldn’t even sniff 500 at bats. But it was more of an idea of something they can do a few times per month to shore up the defense late on days Garcia isn’t starting and Yelich and Cain are also all starting. Gamel and Grisham got over 450 at bats combined last season. And that was with a full time Braun, Yelich, and Cain in the outfield. If you all think that we couldn’t realistically have 4 outfielders get 500 at bats each then that’s fine. But last year proved otherwise and I stand by what I said. Castellanos would make us better and the at bats will sort itself out. It always does. And Garcia being a good defensive RF, the same position that Castellanos would play with us, late game substituting is a realistic option to do sometimes.

Posted: January 21, 2020, 1:16 AM Post
If teams are hesitant to give Castellanos a long term deal, could the Brewers offer a “prove it” deal to see if his time with the Cubs is him maturing more as a player or if he just had a nice hot stretch?

Could he be had at something like 1 year for $17 million or so? I would honestly prefer locking him up on a multi year deal through his prime, pairing a big bat with Yelich for the foreseeable future in the middle of the lineup, but if the offers just aren’t there for him, I would love to add that bat to the lineup for 2020.

Posted: January 24, 2020, 4:48 PM Post
The Cubs signed Steven Souza today (seems like a decent low risk gamble, he’s been hurt for 2 years but is allegedly healthy and his last full season was almost a 4 win player). But I’d assume that means they’re out on Castellanos. Guessing they’ll go Schwarber/Bryant/Heyward/Souza in the corners this year depending on matchups with Heyward, Happ and Almora in CF.

Posted: January 26, 2020, 2:55 PM Post
The Reds are now the clear favorites to sign Castellanos...wonderful...NOT!

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/12 ... 19363?s=20

Posted: January 26, 2020, 2:59 PM Post
Overrated.

Posted: January 26, 2020, 3:07 PM Post
The Reds are going for it. Cheers to them but the Central is going to be another blood bath this year.

Posted: January 26, 2020, 5:52 PM Post
If the Reds pull this off, it would be extremely hard to not pick them as the favorite to win the central. They would arguably have the best starting staff and starting lineup in the division. Having the best team on paper doesn’t automatically result to wins in the regular season, but they certainly have a strong looking team heading into the 2020 season.

Posted: January 26, 2020, 5:54 PM Post
RollieTime said:
If the Reds pull this off, it would be extremely hard to not pick them as the favorite to win the central. They would arguably have the best starting staff and starting lineup in the division. Having the best team on paper doesn’t automatically result to wins in the regular season, but they certainly have a strong looking team heading into the 2020 season.

Looking forward to replies to your post.

I agree by the way.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Posted: January 26, 2020, 6:12 PM Post
I think this move would make the better than a lot care to admit.

Online  Re: Nick Castellanos
Posted: January 26, 2020, 6:46 PM Post
Global Moderator
RollieTime said:

Even with Castellanos, the Reds are a bit of a crap shoot. They have a lot of slightly odd parts that may or may not work.

The defense doesn't look very good. Moose at 2B. Senzel in CF. Where does Castellanos play? It might all gel just fine - but then again, it might not.

The club needs a couple of guys to rebound, including Joey Votto and Raisel Iglesias. I love Votto, but he really was not good last year. Was that a fluke? We will find out.

Also, the club needs guys like Senzel and Winker to emerge as first-tier starters. They are good, young hitters with a ton of promise and tools, but they still have to end up producing. And what is Aristides Aquino? I personally think his start last year was a fluke, but we shall see.

The rotation is really nice, but relief pitching is just okay (if Raisel Iglesias rebounds that's a huge deal). They lack depth here (but have a few nice guys at the back end - which is good to have).

I don't think the Reds have any big prospects on the horizon, but I could be wrong on that.

All in all, it's like I said, kind of an odd bag of stuff. They need a little luck, but could be very good (of course, a lot of teams can say that). Their rotation is really good, and a core of Votto, Suarez, Castellanos, Moose, Senzel, etc. is pretty good.

Should be an interesting year.

Posted: January 26, 2020, 6:57 PM Post
turborickey said:
RollieTime said:

Looking forward to replies to your post.

I agree by the way.

I agree with this 100%...Reds would be my favorites anyway...Brewers would be at best, 3rd. Hope I'm wrong.

Posted: January 26, 2020, 7:24 PM Post
Global Moderator
On paper the Brewers, Cardinals, Cubs & Reds all look to be relatively evenly matched to this point. I won't be surprised by whichsoever of the 24 different first through fourth place combinations comes to pass at the end of the season. The only thing that would surprise me is PIT finishing anywhere but fifth.

ZIPS haven't been released for the Cubs yet, but if I added right the other three NLC contenders currently look like...

MKE Total Projected 38.1 WAR
STL Total Projected 35.9 WAR
CIN Total Projected 35.6 WAR

Castellanos has been between 2.5 to 3.0 WAR each of the last two seasons, but if he lands with CIN he isn't replacing a zero WAR guy, he's replacing some combination of Aquino/Winker/Ervin who are projected for 3.7 WAR between LF/RF, so probably like a 1.5 to 2.0 win upgrade.

Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  [ 128 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply