LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 66 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Nick Castellanos

Offline  Re: Nick Castellanos

Posted: December 01, 2019, 9:06 AM Post
According to UZR, Castellanos is awful no matter where you play him.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 01, 2019, 10:11 AM Post
Castellanos wanted a new contract if moved to 1B. If he signed with the Brewers I doubt he would have an issue with it.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 01, 2019, 10:26 AM Post
RWeeksFan23 said:
According to UZR, Castellanos is awful no matter where you play him.

If you watched him play RF for the Cubs and I watched a lot of their games, he wasn't great but he wasn't a liability either.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 02, 2019, 8:51 PM Post
If Braun goes to 1B, Brewers should grab either Castellanos or Ozuna shouldn't they? MLBTR projects Ozuna at 3 for $45. That seems low, but he does cost a draft pick and might just be the value Stearns is counting on. Both come with the bonus of being plucked from divisional rivals.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Nick Castellanos

Posted: December 02, 2019, 9:06 PM Post
I'd be all in on Castellanos. Obviously not for the 3B vacancy, but I think he'd be fine in RF or at 1B. Would provide a young, solid RH bat to the lineup.

I'm not an Ozuna fan. I don't know what it is about him, but I've never liked the guy. There is probably not a real good basis for that.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 02, 2019, 9:13 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
I'd be all in on Castellanos. Obviously not for the 3B vacancy, but I think he'd be fine in RF or at 1B. Would provide a young, solid RH bat to the lineup.

I'm not an Ozuna fan. I don't know what it is about him, but I've never liked the guy. There is probably not a real good basis for that.

The highlighter colored sleeve, even with the Cardinals. Your hatred is warranted

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 04, 2019, 11:10 AM Post
Outlander said:
Castellanos wanted a new contract if moved to 1B. If he signed with the Brewers I doubt he would have an issue with it.

The issue with Castellanos is what is his worth? He's likely looking at very similar money to what Moose signed for (4 years/$64 million). Moose just turned 31, and is a solid if unspectacular fielder at 3B, and capable but below average at 2B. I'm sure Moose would be fine at 1B. Offensively, Moose doesn't have super drastic splits, but is decidedly much better against right-handed pitching.

Castellanos will be 28 in March (so 3 1/2 years younger than Moose). He's a hack as a fielder at 3B, so he likely wouldn't/couldn't be the answer there, other than in spots. He doesn't have a ton of range in the corner OF, but can handle it. He'd also likely be fine at 1B. He has been pretty solid against both righties and lefties throughout his career, with a slight edge against lefties. Both bring similar power numbers.

If he were to sign with the Brewers, I see him as a guy who would likely see time in both left field and at 1B, and probably some limited time at 3B as well. He'd be a prototypical #3 hitter behind Yelich. Given his youth and hitting ability, I'd be willing to give him a similar deal to what Moose signed for. I think there is a much better chance that Castellanos stays productive throughout the life of that deal, and he'd have another bite at the apple as a 32-year-old.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 04, 2019, 2:54 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Outlander said:

The issue with Castellanos is what is his worth? He's likely looking at very similar money to what Moose signed for (4 years/$64 million). Moose just turned 31, and is a solid if unspectacular fielder at 3B, and capable but below average at 2B. I'm sure Moose would be fine at 1B. Offensively, Moose doesn't have super drastic splits, but is decidedly much better against right-handed pitching.

Castellanos will be 28 in March (so 3 1/2 years younger than Moose). He's a hack as a fielder at 3B, so he likely wouldn't/couldn't be the answer there, other than in spots. He doesn't have a ton of range in the corner OF, but can handle it. He'd also likely be fine at 1B. He has been pretty solid against both righties and lefties throughout his career, with a slight edge against lefties. Both bring similar power numbers.

If he were to sign with the Brewers, I see him as a guy who would likely see time in both left field and at 1B, and probably some limited time at 3B as well. He'd be a prototypical #3 hitter behind Yelich. Given his youth and hitting ability, I'd be willing to give him a similar deal to what Moose signed for. I think there is a much better chance that Castellanos stays productive throughout the life of that deal, and he'd have another bite at the apple as a 32-year-old.

Would you be comfortable doing a 6/$84 million contract (AAV $14 million)? I’m thinking that might be what he’s going to be approaching in this market. If he’s a first baseman, is he worth that? If he could just be below average in right and not be a total butcher, I think we would be okay. Of course he could fill in a handful of games at third as needed, but that definitely isn’t something they would do regularly.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 04, 2019, 3:06 PM Post
RollieTime said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Outlander said:

Would you be comfortable doing a 6/$84 million contract (AAV $14 million)? I’m thinking that might be what he’s going to be approaching in this market. If he’s a first baseman, is he worth that? If he could just be below average in right and not be a total butcher, I think we would be okay. Of course he could fill in a handful of games at third as needed, but that definitely isn’t something they would do regularly.

I would, with the hope that the NL will eventually adopt the DH for the last part of that deal. Castellanos played a lot of RF with the Cubs, and while he wasn't great, he also wasn't a huge liability out there. As a 1B, I think it is important to remember that even though he would have a high salary for that position, he isn't a guy who would need to be platoon, which provides more flexibility to the team. That is pretty valuable.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 04, 2019, 3:14 PM Post
I'd be OK with this guy being added. But if you'd have told me 3 months ago we'd be talking 80+ mil I'd have been really surprised. So far on what the market is showing (wait, COLLUSION?!!?) though I see how that could happen. But man I'd like to think he could be had for something more reasonable than that. Don't wanna get caught overvaluing one hot streak.

While not good on D anywhere his flexibility I think fits well here and would allow for a multi year deal. You're primarily 1B this year. But, if Braun is hurt and our best fill in is a 1B then he can play RF. Then when Braun is done he could shift to OF if all we can get is a 1B. Or if say Ray or someone else pans out then he can stay at 1B. Can maybe survive for a DL stint of someone else playing at 3B some times. Then throw in possible DH down the line. I'd hope he's at least someone they're talking to

Last edited by tmwiese55 on December 04, 2019, 3:29 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 04, 2019, 3:25 PM Post
I totally agree. The more I think about it, the more I want Castellanos locked up long term. Locking in a core of Yelich, Hiura, Castellanos, Urias, and possibly a young guy for first or third through a trade and we will have a good foundation to compete for a long time.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 04, 2019, 8:53 PM Post
This would be a nice step to relieve my anxiety of the off season but only a step all be it a fairly large one .Sorry for some reason it’s submitting my post twice.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 04, 2019, 8:59 PM Post
For what position though? As others have mentioned, eight players have played 1B for the Brewers since Braun last played 1B - I doubt the Brewers' plans are to move Braun there, so I don't see a spot opening up in the OF. Castellanos has had nice numbers, but not for 1B - Thames' numbers were almost as good and the Brewers wouldn't pay him $7.5M for one year. I don't see the Brewers shelling out that kind of money for a 1B when they wouldn't pay Thames $7.5M.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 04, 2019, 8:59 PM Post
I take Nick,Jordan and Dallas i will be very happy.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 04, 2019, 9:02 PM Post
Global Moderator
Castellanos has been over 2.0 War 2 times in his career. The question you have to ask yourself is how much did that park in Detroit suppress his offense?

He doesn't walk a lot, and he doesn't hit for a super high average. The only time he's hit for a LOT of power is the last bit of last year, in Wrigley. Was he super hot, or was it getting out of Detroit? How much/how long do the Brewers want to gamble that that was an aberration, or the real deal?

I don't think Castellanos is a .790 OPS guy, and the flip side is I SURE don't think he's a 1.000 OPS guy. I don't want to be tied to an .850 OPS corner outfielder who's a bad fielder for 6 years, well into his 30's for 15 mil aav+. Those guys aren't that hard to come by.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 05, 2019, 11:53 AM Post
David Stearns didn't rule out a little first base for Narváez. Also said Brewers "have had ongoing discussions with Ryan Braun about defensive versatility."

Brauny better get that 1B glove ready. With the deal for Narvaez, signing someone like Castellanos to play RF for a couple years, with an eventual move to 1B, makes even more sense.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 05, 2019, 12:15 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
David Stearns didn't rule out a little first base for Narváez. Also said Brewers "have had ongoing discussions with Ryan Braun about defensive versatility."

Brauny better get that 1B glove ready. With the deal for Narvaez, signing someone like Castellanos to play RF for a couple years, with an eventual move to 1B, makes even more sense.

I think the Brewers will go with Ozuna on a 1-year deal over a multi year deal with Castellanos.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 05, 2019, 12:27 PM Post
nate82 said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:

I think the Brewers will go with Ozuna on a 1-year deal over a multi year deal with Castellanos.

As much as I dislike Ozuna, I’d be ok with that. I can’t see Ozuna signing a 1-year deal though.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 05, 2019, 12:31 PM Post
Castellanos in the OF and then Braun at 1B? Is defense not a thing of value anymore?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 05, 2019, 12:37 PM Post
MrTPlush said:
Castellanos in the OF and then Braun at 1B? Is defense not a thing of value anymore?

Yeah to go along with Narvaez at catcher, Urias at shortstop, and Hiura at second. It would look like we are trying to put together the worst possible defensive team in baseball. I don't like it one bit that we are virtually punting on defense and could be below average at every position besides CF with Cain

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 66 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply