LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  [ 159 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

First Baseman for 2020

Offline  Re: First Baseman for 2020
Posted: November 29, 2019, 6:46 AM Post
Hopefully would be nothing more than a minor league deal with a st invite for Morrison. With a few other options in play as well.

Completely unimportant, but I live in Justin Smoak's hometown, and briefly lived in (one of) Morrison's.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 29, 2019, 6:52 AM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
reillymcshane said:
Who would it take to get Dom Smith?

The problem is that the Mets - I think - would probably want someone either in the majors or major league ready. One of the better match ups was Trent Grisham, but that ship has sailed.

Perhaps they'd be happy with a prospect. Who would work? Corey Ray? Feliciano?

Just wondering what people might think would work.

I could see a Dom Smith for Peralta deal making sense for both sides.

That sounds right. They need to replace Wheeler, and could use some more arms in the pen. They're also still looking for a good defensive CF who bats right-handed, taking another stab at it after that Broxton deal bombed for them last winter. With Conforto, Nimmo and McNeil on the roster, don't know that they would've had much interest in Grisham, unless one of those guys was used in another deal. But moot now.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 29, 2019, 2:54 PM Post
If Cron is non-tendered by MN...do the Brewers get interested with him? I still think THames returning seems like a better plan...if at a decent $

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 30, 2019, 5:51 PM Post
I'd be willing to take on Brandon Belt's contract if the Giants are willing to give him away. More upside than almost any other option available, and his mediocre 2019 seems like it may have been largely BABIP driven.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 30, 2019, 6:54 PM Post
SRB said:
I'd be willing to take on Brandon Belt's contract if the Giants are willing to give him away. More upside than almost any other option available, and his mediocre 2019 seems like it may have been largely BABIP driven.

I think I would pass on Belt for several reasons. First, he is owed $34.4M over the next two years and the Giants would have to eat at least $22M of that to make him even interesting. Second they let Thames go and he was more productive at a much lower price than Belt. I'd rather bring Thames back at a reduced price than deal for Belt.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 30, 2019, 7:27 PM Post
SRB said:

His production has dropped each of the last 3 years and he missed a lot of time in 17-18. He’s also not a good OF and doesn’t provide a lot of power for the position or for his salary. There are cheaper options

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 30, 2019, 9:48 PM Post
For reference, here are some comparisons of the 1B/DH available in FA (plus our internal options... Braun and Shaw??)

2018-19 Overall:

2018-19 vs RHP:

2018-19 vs LHP:

Relevant MLBTR Predictions (https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/11/ ... -2020.html):
8. Nicholas Castellanos – White Sox. Four years, $58MM.
30. Howie Kendrick – Twins. Two years, $12MM.
38. Edwin Encarnacion – Rays. One year, $8MM.

Howie Kendrick could be a really nice, versatile piece to add for a couple years at a reasonable price because of his age.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 30, 2019, 11:56 PM Post
MrAllen said:
For reference, here are some comparisons of the 1B/DH available in FA (plus our internal options... Braun and Shaw??)

2018-19 Overall:

2018-19 vs RHP:

2018-19 vs LHP:

Relevant MLBTR Predictions (https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/11/ ... -2020.html):
8. Nicholas Castellanos – White Sox. Four years, $58MM.
30. Howie Kendrick – Twins. Two years, $12MM.
38. Edwin Encarnacion – Rays. One year, $8MM.

Howie Kendrick could be a really nice, versatile piece to add for a couple years at a reasonable price because of his age.

I think Howie Kendrick is my top target bat this offseason. He’s a guy that could be had for a one or two year deal, most likely at or under $10 million, and you get a guy that doesn’t strikeout much and is a great middle of the order bat. Doesn’t have a ton of pop, but does everything else well. With Urias brought in and adding a guy like Kendrick, the only real holes left on the roster are third base on the hitting side and the rest of the money could be poured into the rotation and bullpen. If Kendrick and Moose are brought in, we are looking at a very good lineup.

Cain/Urias
Hiura
Yelich
Kendrick
Moose
Braun
Urias/Cain
Pina
P

If you could get those two for ~$22 million or so, the rest of the $20-$35 million (depending on tender/non-tender decisions) could be put toward pitching. That leaves a lot of room to bring in 2 solid rotation arms as well as a bullpen piece.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 01, 2019, 4:07 PM Post
What about a trade with BALT for Trey Mancini? He's hitting arb years and they are years away from competing again.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 01, 2019, 5:05 PM Post
ewitkows said:
What about a trade with BALT for Trey Mancini? He's hitting arb years and they are years away from competing again.

Baltimore will want premium prospects for Mancini.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 01, 2019, 6:26 PM Post
how about.....arcia..ray....lutz….burnes and henry for mancini and bundy

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 01, 2019, 7:07 PM Post
packer822 said:

That is a quick no from the Orioles. Rumors of the price for Mancini are at least one top 30 prospect plus more. So you are going to have to pay about the same price as what Yelich cost a few years ago.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 01, 2019, 7:28 PM Post
nate82 said:
packer822 said:

That is a quick no from the Orioles. Rumors of the price for Mancini are at least one top 30 prospect plus more. So you are going to have to pay about the same price as what Yelich cost a few years ago.

Well sure that may be their public stance, but Mancini is not even close in value to even the Miami version of Yelich. Pre-2019 Arcia probably would have been a competitive offer, but now Arcia is actually starting to make money so doesn't fit the Orioles as a buy-low candidate.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 01, 2019, 7:30 PM Post
they would be getting our 2...4 and 15th ranked....plus 2 young major leaguers....I think that is equal to or better then what we gave up for yellie

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 03, 2019, 5:19 PM Post
Sign Moreland and Cron and let them platoon.

Other option would be to trade a low level prospect for Dominic Smith and Jed Lowrie's salary. Lowrie could then be given a shot at the 3b job this spring and if he's not up to it health wise, then deal for help at 3B.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 03, 2019, 6:50 PM Post
JohnBriggs12 said:
Sign Moreland and Cron and let them platoon.

Other option would be to trade a low level prospect for Dominic Smith and Jed Lowrie's salary. Lowrie could then be given a shot at the 3b job this spring and if he's not up to it health wise, then deal for help at 3B.

I'd love to see Stearns get Lowrie and Smith for a low level prospect or two in a salary dump by the Mets. I think the Brewers would have Lowrie cleared by medical staff before the trade. He could fill 3B with Smith at 1B. Two huge holes filled for little in return.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 06, 2019, 8:58 AM Post
Howie Kendrick off the board. Just re-signed with the Nats.

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status ... 6991055872

Last edited by Joey Meyer Bombs on December 06, 2019, 9:09 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 06, 2019, 9:06 AM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Howie Kendrick off the board. Just resigned with the Nats.

For pretty cheap too. I get he’s rather go back to the Nats but I’d think the brewers would offer 8 million or so

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 06, 2019, 9:07 AM Post
Joey, your post made it sound like he quit.

Re-signed or resigned.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 06, 2019, 9:09 AM Post
Devinep said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Howie Kendrick off the board. Just resigned with the Nats.

For pretty cheap too. I get he’s rather go back to the Nats but I’d think the brewers would offer 8 million or so

He apparently turned down several 2-year deals. Wouldn't be surprised if the Brewers had interest at that level. But the guy is coming off a pretty magical season with the Nats, and has made a lot of money in his career. So I get going back to where there is some comfort level.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  [ 159 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply