LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  [ 189 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

First Baseman for 2020

Offline  Re: First Baseman for 2020
Posted: January 09, 2020, 3:44 PM Post
Uwbadgers442 said:
Justin Smoak is in fact very in the mix. Very much so that the organization would be surprised if he isn’t at first this year. Logan Morrison is option B.

The organization also strongly believes robot umpires will be implemented within 2 years which is why they did not match the White Sox offer for Grandal (pitch frame value)

Wow, your batting average just took another jump. Nice work.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 26, 2020, 9:52 AM Post
Ron Robinson's Beard said:
Uwbadgers442 said:
Justin Smoak is in fact very in the mix. Very much so that the organization would be surprised if he isn’t at first this year. Logan Morrison is option B.

The organization also strongly believes robot umpires will be implemented within 2 years which is why they did not match the White Sox offer for Grandal (pitch frame value)

Lol; wasn't sure why people thought I would troll with names like Smoak/Morrison.

If I wanted to troll, I would've mentioned the likes of Donaldson, Wheeler, etc. [smile]

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 26, 2020, 10:25 AM Post
Uwbadgers442 said:
Ron Robinson's Beard said:
Uwbadgers442 said:

Lol; wasn't sure why people thought I would troll with names like Smoak/Morrison.

If I wanted to troll, I would've mentioned the likes of Donaldson, Wheeler, etc. [smile]

Great work! Are you hearing any other tidbits, or is the group they have pretty much what we're going to be looking at come the end of March?

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 05, 2020, 12:01 PM Post
This is the guy I wanted to take a flyer on. Seemed like a no-brainer...

Rangers signed 1B Greg Bird to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training.

Things didn't work out for Bird with the Yankees, mostly due to a lengthy list of injuries, but he's flashed some serious power potential in the past and makes for an intriguing flier going into his age-27 season. It's not crazy to think he'll have a role with the Rangers this season, as only Ronald Guzman stands in his way at first base, but the most important thing is staying healthy.

SOURCE: George A. King III on Twitter
Feb 4, 2020, 3:18 PM ET

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 05, 2020, 4:00 PM Post
turborickey said:

Rangers signed 1B Greg Bird to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training.

Things didn't work out for Bird with the Yankees, mostly due to a lengthy list of injuries, but he's flashed some serious power potential in the past and makes for an intriguing flier going into his age-27 season. It's not crazy to think he'll have a role with the Rangers this season, as only Ronald Guzman stands in his way at first base, but the most important thing is staying healthy.

I think Bird's extensive history of injuries was just too much for Stearns and everyone else to consider him. Plus he reportedly is still not fully healed.
Bird came up in 2015 and then missed all of 2016 with a shoulder injury. He had multiple surgeries on his ankle and missed 3/4 of 2017 and over 1/2 of 2018. Last year he played 7 or 8 games, then injured his left heal and was done for the season.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 05, 2020, 5:47 PM Post
wntrtxn21 said:
turborickey said:

I think Bird's extensive history of injuries was just too much for Stearns and everyone else to consider him. Plus he reportedly is still not fully healed.
Bird came up in 2015 and then missed all of 2016 with a shoulder injury. He had multiple surgeries on his ankle and missed 3/4 of 2017 and over 1/2 of 2018. Last year he played 7 or 8 games, then injured his left heal and was done for the season.

but WELL WORTH a minor league contract...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: First Baseman for 2020
Posted: February 05, 2020, 7:54 PM Post
turborickey said:
wntrtxn21 said:

but WELL WORTH a minor league contract...

The Brewers had already signed or acquired Chad Spanberger, Logan Morrison, and Ryon Healy for some 1B action in AA/AAA. In addition, Ryan Aguilar, Lucas Erceg, and Weston Wilson all saw time at 1B in AA or AAA in 2019.

And none of them have Bird's injury issues.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 06, 2020, 8:02 AM Post
Are there some missing, successful seasons for Greg Bird that I'm unaware of? I understand there is some Thames/Gallo/Chris Davis type power number hopes with him and he had one nice 45 game opening stint, but he seems to have gotten the Yankees boost on his rating. He's 27 years old and in his last ~100 games in the majors over 3 separate stints could not get close to cracking a .200 AVG or .300 OBP.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 06, 2020, 9:55 AM Post
bill hAll Star said:
gotten the Yankees boost on his rating.

BINGO!

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  [ 189 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply