LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next  [ 189 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

First Baseman for 2020

Offline  Re: First Baseman for 2020

Posted: November 08, 2019, 8:50 PM Post
I could see the Brewers signing Asdrubal Cabrera as a lower cost utility guy. He could play 1st, or 3rd with Braun/Shaw at 1B

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 09, 2019, 7:48 PM Post
mlloyd10 said:
Im saying Wilmer Flores -

This actually isn't a bad call. I'm hoping the re-sign Moustakas for 3b. I'm also somewhat thinking they tender Shaw. Flores as a right handed hitting complement who can cover 1b, 3b, and 2b would be useful. He ended the year healthy.

He's also probably significantly cheaper than Frazier or Kendrick who I was kicking around in my head to fill that role.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 09, 2019, 8:02 PM Post
Global Moderator
mlloyd10 said:
Im saying Wilmer Flores -

Hopefully he reacts better than the last time he thought he was coming here:

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 10, 2019, 8:30 AM Post
If they go the "scrap heap" route, I'm still all over Ryon Healy. His full season average is 28 HR and 86 RBI. Put him in Miller Park and he's a 30 HR guy.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 10, 2019, 9:03 AM Post
JohnBriggs12 said:
If they go the "scrap heap" route, I'm still all over Ryon Healy. His full season average is 28 HR and 86 RBI. Put him in Miller Park and he's a 30 HR guy.

Pass, just pay an extra few million to have Thames back. As I have said before it just doesn’t make sense to drop Thames and go for a scrap heap 1B...the cost difference just isn’t there. Just screams in house options is what they plan.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 10, 2019, 9:55 AM Post
MrTPlush said:
JohnBriggs12 said:

Pass, just pay an extra few million to have Thames back. As I have said before it just doesn’t make sense to drop Thames and go for a scrap heap 1B...the cost difference just isn’t there. Just screams in house options is what they plan.

That's where I sort of think they are going as well. Wouldn't surprise me to see a soft R/L platoon of Braun and Shaw, with Braun seeing quite a bit of time against righties as well. That is assuming they devote funds to resigning Moose or grabbing another 3B. I imagine they'll grab another lefty-hitting 1B on a minors deal as insurance in case Shaw can no longer be redeemed as a ML hitter.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 11, 2019, 11:20 AM Post
I haven't looked all the way around the league, but I'm also assuming there might be some arby casualties. Cron may get non-tendered. Guys like that will either be available for cheap or will at least depress the price of Thames given greater supply.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 14, 2019, 4:14 PM Post
Abreu accepting the qualifying offer from the White Sox takes one 1B possibility away from the Brewers.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 14, 2019, 5:54 PM Post
Global Moderator
bill hAll Star said:
I haven't looked all the way around the league, but I'm also assuming there might be some arby casualties. Cron may get non-tendered. Guys like that will either be available for cheap or will at least depress the price of Thames given greater supply.

Cron is an ideal guy to get non-tendered. MLB Trade Rumors have him making $7.7M - that's pretty steep for an okay player. Especially on a team like the Twins. I'm guessing he ends up getting non-tendered, and (like Thames) ends up landing someone for $4-5M.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 14, 2019, 7:10 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Abreu accepting the qualifying offer from the White Sox takes one 1B possibility away from the Brewers.

Abreu was never a possibility.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 14, 2019, 8:16 PM Post
nate82 said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:

Abreu was never a possibility.

Certainly not at the qualifying offer price. There was no way he was going to see anything close to that on the open market. I saw him as a $2 year/$20 million guy max.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: First Baseman for 2020

Posted: November 15, 2019, 11:21 AM Post
clancyphile said:
Yount19 said:
homer said:
Speaking of...are there any guys in the foreign leagues worth signing to play 1st?

Yoshitomo Tsutsugo might be posted.. he can play 1B.. don't know too much about him..

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/10/ ... osted.html

Here is his B-R page:
https://www.baseball-reference.com/regi ... utsu000yos

Mostly played outfield, significant experience at 1B and 3B, but none recent.

VERY nice OBP skills and power... bats left-handed, which could be very beneficial in Miller Park.

I'd go for that.

Yoshitomo Tsutsugo is reported to be much more of a left fielder than an infielder. A brief mention at Fangraphs gives the impression that he'd probably be just awful if asked to see significant time in the infield, but I have a feeling that will be the case with Braun as well.

Kiley McDaniel (Fangraphs) guessed a 2 year, 16 million dollar deal while the Crowdsource went with 4 years, 40 million. It will be interesting to see the contract he gets. But if one just takes the average of the above estimates, it comes out to 3 years, 28 million. If that's the contract he gets, the player will get 28 million and the Japanese team would get 5.525 million, so it ends up costing the MLB team 33.525 for three years of Tsutsugo. If it stays as a 16 million dollar deal, the MLB club would have to compenstate the Japanese club an additional 3.2 million dollars. Sounds like Tsutsugo will cost a MLB somewhere between 9-12 million dollars per season after the fee is added in.

Kind of wish we kept Thames considering how cold I've grown on the free agent pitchers in this market.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 16, 2019, 9:02 AM Post
Not picking up Thames option is a headscratcher to be sure, but I'm wondering if they feel he'll still be out there if their preferred options fall through.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 20, 2019, 8:48 PM Post
Bird DFAd today.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 20, 2019, 9:59 PM Post
stoutdude04 said:
Bird DFAd today.

Yup, this is a guy I'd like to take a flyer on for sure.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 20, 2019, 10:41 PM Post
turborickey said:
stoutdude04 said:
Bird DFAd today.

Yup, this is a guy I'd like to take a flyer on for sure.

Maybe and it's a big maybe, sign him to a minor lg. contract with an invite to spring training. He hasn't hit even .200 in the big leagues since 2015.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 21, 2019, 8:50 AM Post
True. He has also been battling a lot of injuries, so that would be something to be worried about as well.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 21, 2019, 8:55 AM Post
What has Greg Bird done in his career to indicate he has any value or upside? I mean, there are a ton of power hitting 1B types on the free agent market that have drastically better resumes. If the Brewers are going to move on from Thames, I'd much rather they get a 1B that has shown that they can do anything at the major league level.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 21, 2019, 9:21 AM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
What has Greg Bird done in his career to indicate he has any value or upside? I mean, there are a ton of power hitting 1B types on the free agent market that have drastically better resumes. If the Brewers are going to move on from Thames, I'd much rather they get a 1B that has shown that they can do anything at the major league level.

Bird has 32 HR in 700 major league plate appearances. He also has a career .881 OPS in the minors. Injuries derailed him the last few years. With 3 options remaining, what's the downside? He gives them insurance if they start the year with Shaw/Freitas platoon at 1B and Shaw is still in his funk.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 21, 2019, 10:10 AM Post
Global Moderator
I would absolutely take a flier on Bird and stick him at AAA.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next  [ 189 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply