LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  [ 159 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

First Baseman for 2020

Offline  Re: First Baseman for 2020

Posted: November 27, 2019, 3:36 PM Post
I don't really want to watch more current Aguilar at-bats in a year we should be competing. Let a rebuilding team give him a chance for a rebound.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 27, 2019, 5:30 PM Post
That the Jesus ship sail. he was crap while he was here in 2019, he was crap after he left.

Let him be someone else's problem, turn the page.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 27, 2019, 5:57 PM Post
Well, sacrifices will need to be made somewhere. I don't know who is realistically available at the right price at 1B that will be better than that platoon.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 27, 2019, 7:35 PM Post
turborickey said:
That the Jesus ship sail. he was crap while he was here in 2019, he was crap after he left.

Let him be someone else's problem, turn the page.

Would you keep Shaw? He was much worse.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 27, 2019, 8:07 PM Post
There's a compromise here... they could offer Aguilar a NRI. If he accepts and earns his way onto the team, great. As always, there's a downside - you have to have a plan B in case he doesn't.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 27, 2019, 8:14 PM Post
This might be out of left field...

If we are saving potentially $40-$50 million with all the moves we are making and potentially making. That would include NOT signing Moose, who I want back. For the sake of argument Urias is 3B, Arcia SS, Keston 2B. Can JD Martinez play 1B? I know he is not a good defender but I could live with that if that if he hits 45+ bombs and 100 + rbis in Miller Park. Boston trying to cut salary. I gotta believe they throw in cash to offset salary. We could always deal him back to AL if we would fall out of contention in next couple years. He more than makes up for the loss of Yaz. Go with a platoon C program with Pina, LH 1B and you could platoon Braunie there and JD in RF. Gamel and and Ray extra OFs. Then you still have money for a couple of good starters. This is a stretch, but fun stuff to talk about. Boy I love hot stove...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 27, 2019, 11:38 PM Post
Could see Justin Smoak in the mix. Would love if Stearns could figure out how to nab Dominic Smith from the Mets though. That’d give them 3/4’s of an infield that would be young and controlled with Smith-Hiura-Urias.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 28, 2019, 12:29 AM Post
Brew4U said:
Could see Justin Smoak in the mix. Would love if Stearns could figure out how to nab Dominic Smith from the Mets though. That’d give them 3/4’s of an infield that would be young and controlled with Smith-Hiura-Urias.

100% this. Add in Moustakas/Donaldson and we have something special.

Cain
Yelich
Hiura
Moustakas/Donaldson
Braun
Smith
Urias
Pina
P

Of course we could get another 1B for insurance.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 28, 2019, 2:10 AM Post
WE have Braun seeing time @ first base. But the idea of adding Donaldson to the team as a big bat. I still think David will be adding a top arm to this rotation.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 28, 2019, 3:40 AM Post
umpref said:
This might be out of left field...

If we are saving potentially $40-$50 million with all the moves we are making and potentially making. That would include NOT signing Moose, who I want back. For the sake of argument Urias is 3B, Arcia SS, Keston 2B. Can JD Martinez play 1B? I know he is not a good defender but I could live with that if that if he hits 45+ bombs and 100 + rbis in Miller Park. Boston trying to cut salary. I gotta believe they throw in cash to offset salary. We could always deal him back to AL if we would fall out of contention in next couple years. He more than makes up for the loss of Yaz. Go with a platoon C program with Pina, LH 1B and you could platoon Braunie there and JD in RF. Gamel and and Ray extra OFs. Then you still have money for a couple of good starters. This is a stretch, but fun stuff to talk about. Boy I love hot stove...

You would have the weakest INF. in all MLB. Getting JD but losing Moose and Thames is a major downgrade to the Crew if Urias plays 3B. They might set a major lg. record for the weakest hitting SS-3B combo ever. Could you imagine Pina-Urias-Arcia as your 6-7-8 hitters? You would also have probably the weakest defensive right side of the INF in modern history.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 28, 2019, 8:13 AM Post
Brew4U said:

Gah, should've pulled the Mets into yesterday's deal. Mets really like Manuel Margot. Probably could've gotten Smith and another piece by getting Margot to NY.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 28, 2019, 9:00 AM Post
Brew4U said:

And he doesn’t have a spot in New York. Then, if they’re going to keep Shaw, sign Howie Kendrick to platoon at the infield corners and me Hsaw-still-terrible-insurance. Plus he or Smith can spell Braun in LF

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 28, 2019, 9:08 AM Post
Brew4U said:

I'm a big fan of the idea of trading for Dominic Smith. He really strikes me as a Brewer-type target. Former big time prospect who is blocked at the big league level. Won't be 25 until June. I would love to see this.

Smoak is much less exciting of a target. If given the choice of Smoak as the near full-time 1B, or a platoon of Thames and Braun, I think I'd chose the latter.

Of course, with the trade of Grisham, Braun is likely looking at logging the majority of his time in LF again, at least for now.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 28, 2019, 9:12 AM Post
Global Moderator
Sign me up for Smith as well. Seems like an ideal fit in this lineup.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 28, 2019, 9:18 AM Post
Global Moderator
As one of the longer tenured members of the Dom Smith —> MKE bandwagon, that move would make me very happy.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 28, 2019, 11:41 AM Post
He's "pondering retirement" due to back and knee injuries that ruined his 2019 season, so he may not even been available, but Steve Pearce would be an interesting rebound guy on a one-year deal.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 28, 2019, 12:03 PM Post
You know what would make me happy? The Milwaukee Brewers draft a first baseman that makes big league impact...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 28, 2019, 12:28 PM Post
Global Moderator
Who would it take to get Dom Smith?

The problem is that the Mets - I think - would probably want someone either in the majors or major league ready. One of the better match ups was Trent Grisham, but that ship has sailed.

Perhaps they'd be happy with a prospect. Who would work? Corey Ray? Feliciano?

Just wondering what people might think would work.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 28, 2019, 12:53 PM Post
BadgerBert said:
You know what would make me happy? The Milwaukee Brewers draft a first baseman that makes big league impact...

Yes, in a dream world we draft all of our positions perfectly and we never have to trade or sign anyone. But it’s not realistic.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 28, 2019, 3:19 PM Post
reillymcshane said:
Who would it take to get Dom Smith?

The problem is that the Mets - I think - would probably want someone either in the majors or major league ready. One of the better match ups was Trent Grisham, but that ship has sailed.

Perhaps they'd be happy with a prospect. Who would work? Corey Ray? Feliciano?

Just wondering what people might think would work.

I could see a Dom Smith for Peralta deal making sense for both sides.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  [ 159 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply