LambeauLeap1250 WSSP


  
 [ 20 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Mookie Betts

Author Message
Offline  Mookie Betts
#1

Posted: November 07, 2019, 2:03 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 5579
Location: Phoenix, AZ
How about this for a trade?

Brewers send Hiura to the Red Sox for Betts and Chavis.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Mookie Betts
#2

Posted: November 07, 2019, 2:16 PM Post
Posts: 19183
Maybe if Betts was controlled for 2 years instead of 1 I could get on board but as good as he is I couldn't stomach giving up 6 years of Hiura to rent Betts for 1 season. Chavis is controlled but I just don't think he's going to be good enough to justify the deal.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Mookie Betts
#3

Posted: November 07, 2019, 2:33 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 5579
Location: Phoenix, AZ
adambr2 said:
Maybe if Betts was controlled for 2 years instead of 1 I could get on board but as good as he is I couldn't stomach giving up 6 years of Hiura to rent Betts for 1 season. Chavis is controlled but I just don't think he's going to be good enough to justify the deal.


That is the problem I had also. I wonder if the Red Sox would do Benitendi and Rodriguez for Hiura

That gives the Brewers a SP and a good bat.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Mookie Betts
#4

Posted: November 07, 2019, 2:56 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 7074
Let's not forget that Betts will make $25M+ next year.

I love Betts, but not for six years of Hiura.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Mookie Betts
#5

Posted: November 07, 2019, 3:02 PM Post
Posts: 5149
Location: New Berlin, WI
I think we're better off bringing in a big name FA pitcher for only $$ than we are trading Hiura for 1 year of Betts.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Mookie Betts
#6

Posted: November 07, 2019, 3:10 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 5579
Location: Phoenix, AZ
reillymcshane said:
Let's not forget that Betts will make $25M+ next year.

I love Betts, but not for six years of Hiura.


Would you do Betts and Rodriguez for Hiura?


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Mookie Betts
#7

Posted: November 07, 2019, 3:32 PM Post
Posts: 499
nate82 said:
reillymcshane said:
Let's not forget that Betts will make $25M+ next year.

I love Betts, but not for six years of Hiura.


Would you do Betts and Rodriguez for Hiura?


NO! Betts is going to get a huge salary and one year rental. Betts' salary alone would hurt the Crew's chances of improving, plus they don't need another OF.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Mookie Betts
#8

Posted: November 07, 2019, 3:35 PM Post
Posts: 3741
I think there is a better chance of us signing both Gerrit Cole & Stephen Strasburg than us trading Hiura for Betts!!!

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Mookie Betts
#9

Posted: November 07, 2019, 3:45 PM Post
Posts: 729
I've been ping ponging a Betts trade in my head too. I don't think it would take Hiura and if it did I just wouldn't want them to do it. Generally guys like that are for a group of players and it's rare for a young player with 6 years of control as good as Hiura to be traded in the last couple years.

Almost feels like it would be the 2017 offseason over agin. OF feels like the one spot the Brewers are set at... then BAM. Acquire the best outfielder available.

It probably won't happen even though it would be cool.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Mookie Betts
#10

Posted: November 07, 2019, 3:55 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 9486
Huge difference trading for a young talented OF with 5 years of team-friendly control versus trading for a young talented OF with 1 year of very expensive control.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Mookie Betts
#11

Posted: November 07, 2019, 4:00 PM Post
Posts: 5149
Location: New Berlin, WI
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Huge difference trading for a young talented OF with 5 years of team-friendly control versus trading for a young talented OF with 1 year of very expensive control.


Right, I feel like JosephC is going to pop on here soon and say 6 years of Hiura has around $40m more value than 1 year of Betts does. But don't say that to the Cubs...their fan forums have dreams of trading Bryant for Jo Adell


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Mookie Betts
#12

Posted: November 07, 2019, 4:33 PM Post
Posts: 729
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Huge difference trading for a young talented OF with 5 years of team-friendly control versus trading for a young talented OF with 1 year of very expensive control.


Agreed. Maybe I didn't express my point clearly.

In 2017 I think the general consensus was that the Brewers were set in the OF. They had Braun, Santana, Phillips, Brinson, and Broxton. Fans thought they'd focus on improving other areas on the roster, but instead they traded for Yelich and signed Cain.

This year I think people also feel pretty good about Braun, Cain, Yelich, Gamel, and Grisham all under team control for at least next season. If they were to trade for Betts it would be a surprise just like it was a surprise in 2017 when they got Yelich and Cain.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Mookie Betts
#13

Posted: November 07, 2019, 5:27 PM Post
Posts: 19183
It's just hard putting together a trade for a marquee talent for the Brewers, even a rental, because they have 4 guys with substantial trade value (Yelich, Hiura, Hader and Woodruff). After that there is a substantial dropoff. Trouble is, all these are existing important pieces to the MLB team so you're losing some from the start. Lesser pieces like Burnes, Grisham, Turang, etc just aren't going to get it done for Betts.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Mookie Betts
#14

Posted: November 08, 2019, 9:14 AM Post
Posts: 4442
Has there been a single mention of the Red Sox potentially trading Betts?
I'd think they would extend him or finish 2nd at worst in Free Agency after they QO him. Dude is on track for HoF and may lock that up by the time he turns 30. How could they trade him and do that to their fans?


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Mookie Betts
#15

Posted: November 08, 2019, 9:19 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 9486
brewcrewdue80 said:
Has there been a single mention of the Red Sox potentially trading Betts?
I'd think they would extend him or finish 2nd at worst in Free Agency after they QO him. Dude is on track for HoF and may lock that up by the time he turns 30. This is Boston's Jacoby Ellsbury on Steroids. How could they trade him and do that to their fans?


Yes, he's actually been floated as a trade candidate quite a bit, due to his very large salary, and the fact that the Red Sox want to try to get under the luxury tax threshold. Even big markets have issues with budgets, and that team is paying out a crapload of money in other spots. I think both Betts and Boegarts are considered trade candidates because they not only make a lot, they are also studs that should have enough value where the team would not only be able to deal them without eating any of their contracts, but also get a nice amount of value in return. I think some in the Red Sox front office were hoping that JD Martinez would opt out of his deal in order to free up some funds, but since he didn't, they are going to have to look at either making tough decisions to cut costs, or pay that luxury tax penalty once again - which keeps escalating with each consecutive year of exceeding it.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Mookie Betts
#16

Posted: November 08, 2019, 10:57 AM Post
Posts: 4442
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
brewcrewdue80 said:
Has there been a single mention of the Red Sox potentially trading Betts?
I'd think they would extend him or finish 2nd at worst in Free Agency after they QO him. Dude is on track for HoF and may lock that up by the time he turns 30. This is Boston's Jacoby Ellsbury on Steroids. How could they trade him and do that to their fans?


Yes, he's actually been floated as a trade candidate quite a bit, due to his very large salary, and the fact that the Red Sox want to try to get under the luxury tax threshold. Even big markets have issues with budgets, and that team is paying out a crapload of money in other spots. I think both Betts and Boegarts are considered trade candidates because they not only make a lot, they are also studs that should have enough value where the team would not only be able to deal them without eating any of their contracts, but also get a nice amount of value in return. I think some in the Red Sox front office were hoping that JD Martinez would opt out of his deal in order to free up some funds, but since he didn't, they are going to have to look at either making tough decisions to cut costs, or pay that luxury tax penalty once again - which keeps escalating with each consecutive year of exceeding it.


Looking around Google and Betts trade rumors, I don't see the Red Sox Brass making mentions. An Extension talk being forthcoming. The Rumors are outside based on that Betts has said he wants to test FA, along with as you mentioned easiest contract to get under the luxury tax threshold. Which of course requires 0 MLB players in return only MILB to do so. That or, they are still looking to shed the value amount of the MLB Player/s contract in return.

I know it's happened(Reds recently with the Dodgers) where a team bailed them out of that money crunch, while giving up something of value that really they shouldn't of. Why in a competitive sport would you help out a Luxury Tax team that makes oodles of money, to get below said luxury tax and the penalties they've faced? While also helping their minors system?
It's Betts' desire to test FA that makes the rumors. I don't see it from the Front Office.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Mookie Betts
#17

Posted: November 08, 2019, 11:13 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 9486
brewcrewdue80 said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
brewcrewdue80 said:
Has there been a single mention of the Red Sox potentially trading Betts?
I'd think they would extend him or finish 2nd at worst in Free Agency after they QO him. Dude is on track for HoF and may lock that up by the time he turns 30. This is Boston's Jacoby Ellsbury on Steroids. How could they trade him and do that to their fans?


Yes, he's actually been floated as a trade candidate quite a bit, due to his very large salary, and the fact that the Red Sox want to try to get under the luxury tax threshold. Even big markets have issues with budgets, and that team is paying out a crapload of money in other spots. I think both Betts and Boegarts are considered trade candidates because they not only make a lot, they are also studs that should have enough value where the team would not only be able to deal them without eating any of their contracts, but also get a nice amount of value in return. I think some in the Red Sox front office were hoping that JD Martinez would opt out of his deal in order to free up some funds, but since he didn't, they are going to have to look at either making tough decisions to cut costs, or pay that luxury tax penalty once again - which keeps escalating with each consecutive year of exceeding it.


Looking around Google and Betts trade rumors, I don't see the Red Sox Brass making mentions. An Extension talk being forthcoming. The Rumors are outside based on that Betts has said he wants to test FA, along with as you mentioned easiest contract to get under the luxury tax threshold. Which of course requires 0 MLB players in return only MILB to do so. That or, they are still looking to shed the value amount of the MLB Player/s contract in return.

I know it's happened(Reds recently with the Dodgers) where a team bailed them out of that money crunch, while giving up something of value that really they shouldn't of. Why in a competitive sport would you help out a Luxury Tax team that makes oodles of money, to get below said luxury tax and the penalties they've faced? While also helping their minors system?
It's Betts' desire to test FA that makes the rumors. I don't see it from the Front Office.


I can pretty much guarantee that you will never see anything from the Red Sox confirming that they are shopping him. The dots as to why they would do it are pretty easy to connect I think, though.

I agree on wishing team would avoid helping out others who are careless with their spending, though. I personally love when big markets overspend and are stuck having to pay a huge luxury tax. It's even better when they are paying megadeals on players who were once good, but are now terrible due to regression, like Matt Kemp. The difference here is that Betts is still young and in his prime, so even though he makes a ton, he still has a lot of value.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Mookie Betts
#18

Posted: November 08, 2019, 11:54 AM Post
Posts: 787
Location: Washburn, WI
Looking at the Red Sox’ contracts on the books, I don’t see any way they move Sale, Price, Pedroia (injuries), or Castillo. Eovaldi could possibly be moved, but the Red Sox would need to add a sweetener. Martinez, Bogaerts, Betts, and Bradley Jr. are the contracts that I think could realistically be moved that they could get something for. Bradley Jr. wouldn’t bring much back and is probably the most realistic contract they could rid themselves of and not hurt the on field product much. I wouldn’t have any interest in him, but some team that is trying to compete and that needs a center fielder on a one year deal might be interested.

Maybe we will be interested in J.D. Martinez to take over first base and play a little right field? [wink] He would definitely be a nice bat to add to the lineup. He does have the option to opt out after 2020 and 2021. He would cost nearly $24 million this season and a little over $19 million the next two years. He probably wouldn’t cost much to acquire, if anything since they may have been hoping he would opt out anyway to help their luxury tax situation. I wonder if he could play a passable first base?


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Mookie Betts
#19

Posted: November 08, 2019, 4:56 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 2633
If the Red Sox are dead set on resetting their number, they get very close to it by just non-tendering JBJ. Cot's projects them at ~$12m over with everyone's arby projections and they can cut ~$11 of that by just dropping JBJ.

So I don't think they need do any drastic moves. Maybe they'll take one stud player (Betts, Martinez) and trade for a package of prospects after dropping JBJ and they have all the wiggle room that they'll need then.

They could also just give away Price to a team and pay half of his contract or something. That would also do it.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Mookie Betts
#20

Posted: November 08, 2019, 5:00 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 5579
Location: Phoenix, AZ
bill hAll Star said:
If the Red Sox are dead set on resetting their number, they get very close to it by just non-tendering JBJ. Cot's projects them at ~$12m over with everyone's arby projections and they can cut ~$11 of that by just dropping JBJ.

So I don't think they need do any drastic moves. Maybe they'll take one stud player (Betts, Martinez) and trade for a package of prospects after dropping JBJ and they have all the wiggle room that they'll need then.


I feel a JBJ trade to the Mets coming because Mets........


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 [ 20 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
  


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bill hAll Star, ewitkows, mlloyd10 and 11 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search this forum (phpBB search):
Jump to:  
Search entire board (Google search):
Google
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Test