LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  [ 49 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Rendon??

Offline  Rendon??

Posted: November 22, 2019, 9:36 AM Post
Okay, the Brewers number one target has signed elsewhere so they'll likely look to a cheap veteran option to pair with Pina. So where do they spend the $40 to $50 million (in 2020) they may have earmarked for this FA class by dealing Anderson and not picking up Thames' option.

We know this. Braun's salary comes off the books in 2021 and Cain's comes off in 2023. We also know that barring a re-sign of Moustakas, they have a huge hole at 3B.

That takes us to Rendon, the number one 3B on the FA market. Besides a return to Washington, the other team assumed to have the money and the interest is the Dodgers. A while back there was a report that Rendon was more interested in a shorter term deal with a high AAV rather than a little less AAV spread over 7 or 8 years. What if the Brewers narrow their focus in the FA market to Rendon and one arm? Can they realistically come up with something like a 4 year $140 million offer or 5 at $160 million with an opt out after 2 years?
Finally lets say the Dodgers beat that and grab him. That leaves one year of Justin Turner out there to be had.

I realize the Brewers have other spots that could use an upgrade, but having a lineup that includes Yelich, Rendon and Hiura would be pretty imposing.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Rendon??

Posted: November 22, 2019, 9:39 AM Post
Hard to imagine Rendon not getting a $200m deal in the 6-7 year range. My guess would be something like 90% of what Arenado got with his extension. I have considered whether Turner would be a good fit though, if Rendon went to LA. I think in general, we match up incredibly well with LA in so many ways. It would surprise me if we DIDN'T make at least one deal with them this offseason...maybe that deal is for 3b help.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 22, 2019, 9:52 AM Post
Whoever pays Rendon will be paying for his production as a 27-29 year old and most likely won't be getting that production replicated.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 22, 2019, 10:08 AM Post
Something like this may seem far fetched, but the more I think about it, the more it does start to make sense. The team is spending millions rolling out a rebrand in an attempt to get their fanbase into a lather. To follow that up with an offseason where their biggest moves are signing a guy like Moose to a 2-year/$20 million deal and grabbing a few Lyles/Miley types is not going to keep that excitement going in any sort of significant way.

I don't know if Rendon will be the ultimate target, but I have gotten to the point where I expect them to make some sort of major move that is going to really excite the fanbase going into next season. What better way would there be than to sell a bunch of new cream home jerseys with "Rendon" or "Strasburg" splashed across the back?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 22, 2019, 10:12 AM Post
Just extend Yelich if you are dying to spend $200 million+.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 22, 2019, 10:19 AM Post
Just imagine a lineup of Cain-Yelich-Rendon-Hiura. That would be sick.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 22, 2019, 10:26 AM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Something like this may seem far fetched, but the more I think about it, the more it does start to make sense. The team is spending millions rolling out a rebrand in an attempt to get their fanbase into a lather. To follow that up with an offseason where their biggest moves are signing a guy like Moose to a 2-year/$20 million deal and grabbing a few Lyles/Miley types is not going to keep that excitement going in any sort of significant way.

I don't know if Rendon will be the ultimate target, but I have gotten to the point where I expect them to make some sort of major move that is going to really excite the fanbase going into next season. What better way would there be than to sell a bunch of new cream home jerseys with "Rendon" or "Strasburg" splashed across the back?

This is where I am too. They are going to do something big at some point this offseason. Maybe it’ll be a big trade that nobody saw coming instead of a signing. Maybe they will do both. But I really do think something big is going to happen.

On Rendon, I would love to have that bat protecting Yelich. I think I would rather have Strasburg or Cole though if we are spending around $30 million per year for one guy. I’m guessing Rendon will get something along the lines of 7/$230 million.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 22, 2019, 10:39 AM Post
RollieTime said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:

This is where I am too. They are going to do something big at some point this offseason. Maybe it’ll be a big trade that nobody saw coming instead of a signing. Maybe they will do both. But I really do think something big is going to happen.

On Rendon, I would love to have that bat protecting Yelich. I think I would rather have Strasburg or Cole though if we are spending around $30 million per year for one guy. I’m guessing Rendon will get something along the lines of 7/$230 million.

No one saw the Grandal signing until it happened last year. Pretty much the same thing with the Cain deal the year before.

Whenever this does happen. it more than likely is going to be random and completely out of the blue.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Rendon??

Posted: November 22, 2019, 10:43 AM Post
Warning Track Power said:
Just extend Yelich if you are dying to spend $200 million+.

Yelich is going to be here the next 3 years no matter what. I'd rather worry about winning a World Series in the next years than worry about paying for Yelich in his 30s.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 22, 2019, 10:49 AM Post
wibadgers23 said:

Cain? Assuming he is 2018 Cain?

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 22, 2019, 10:54 AM Post
turborickey said:
wibadgers23 said:

I know being a Brewer fan for years tends to beat the optimist out of the best of us, but yeah.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 22, 2019, 11:06 AM Post
turborickey said:
wibadgers23 said:

[rolling eyes]

Cain's 2nd half 2019: .281/.350/.403 .753 OPS
Cain's career OPS: .761

What are we worried about?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 22, 2019, 11:25 AM Post
I agree they did a lot work doing the Rebrand and making the playoffs in back to back years not to be active in FA

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 22, 2019, 11:31 AM Post
Global Moderator
Rendon would be awesome, but I'd imagine we end up with something closer to Didi, Moose, one of Lyles/Pomeranz, a catcher & some pitching flyers.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 22, 2019, 11:52 AM Post
SeaBass said:
turborickey said:
wibadgers23 said:

[rolling eyes]

Cain's 2nd half 2019: .281/.350/.403 .753 OPS
Cain's career OPS: .761

What are we worried about?

That he will only be a year older and will limp around the field for 125 games slapping balls to the second basemen.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 22, 2019, 12:25 PM Post
sveumrules said:
Rendon would be awesome, but I'd imagine we end up with something closer to Didi, Moose, one of Lyles/Pomeranz, a catcher & some pitching flyers.

I would prefer Moose and Didi to Rendon only from a standpoint that it lengthens and balances the lineup. A RH-LH lineup 1-6 of Cain-Yelich-Braun-Moose-Hiura-Didi would be pretty sweet. Bring Thames back to play 1B please.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 22, 2019, 12:31 PM Post
Warning Track Power said:
sveumrules said:

I would prefer Moose and Didi to Rendon only from a standpoint that it lengthens and balances the lineup. A RH-LH lineup 1-6 of Cain-Yelich-Braun-Moose-Hiura-Didi would be pretty sweet. Bring Thames back to play 1B please.

I really get the feeling that the Brewers are sinking or swimming with Arcia at SS. Call it an educated hunch, but to me using him as a model for the new uniforms, plus the comments from the new assistant hitting coach point to Arcia being the primary SS in 2020.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 22, 2019, 1:52 PM Post
JohnBriggs12 said:
Okay, the Brewers number one target has signed elsewhere so they'll likely look to a cheap veteran option to pair with Pina. So where do they spend the $40 to $50 million (in 2020) they may have earmarked for this FA class by dealing Anderson and not picking up Thames' option.

We know this. Braun's salary comes off the books in 2021 and Cain's comes off in 2023. We also know that barring a re-sign of Moustakas, they have a huge hole at 3B.

That takes us to Rendon, the number one 3B on the FA market. Besides a return to Washington, the other team assumed to have the money and the interest is the Dodgers. A while back there was a report that Rendon was more interested in a shorter term deal with a high AAV rather than a little less AAV spread over 7 or 8 years. What if the Brewers narrow their focus in the FA market to Rendon and one arm? Can they realistically come up with something like a 4 year $140 million offer or 5 at $160 million with an opt out after 2 years?
Finally lets say the Dodgers beat that and grab him. That leaves one year of Justin Turner out there to be had.

I realize the Brewers have other spots that could use an upgrade, but having a lineup that includes Yelich, Rendon and Hiura would be pretty imposing.

A franchise where the two largest free agent contracts ever handed out were 5yrs/80 million (Cain) and 4yrs/52 million (Garza), I don't see any way they commit nearly twice that amount for a free agent. I see it more likely they will sign two pitcher at 10 million per season than one hitter for 20.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 22, 2019, 1:52 PM Post
I fine with Arcia if you add good bats around him

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 22, 2019, 1:57 PM Post
Arcia will get one more chance in 2020. Rendon is a pipe dream, but I’m dreaming!

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Quote   Reply 
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  [ 49 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply