LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 49 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Rendon??

Online  Re: Rendon??

Posted: November 23, 2019, 8:19 AM Post
Global Moderator
If he is indeed willing to value a high AAV on a shorter term deal over a lengthier agreement, what do you think would be a one or two year offer too good for him to refuse from a team?

A one year at $45 million or two years at $85 million total?

Maybe a three year, $120 million deal with an opt out after the second year?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 27, 2019, 10:47 PM Post
Global Moderator
The more I’ve thought about this, I actually do think the Brewers should make an offer to Anthony Rendon that is a competitive AAV at five or fewer years. Possibly include a player opt out after either the 2nd or 3rd year to help incentivize their offer.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Rendon??

Posted: November 28, 2019, 3:31 AM Post
Eye Black said:
The more I’ve thought about this, I actually do think the Brewers should make an offer to Anthony Rendon that is a competitive AAV at five or fewer years. Possibly include a player opt out after either the 2nd or 3rd year to help incentivize their offer.

IMO Rendon is way out of Stearns' price range. He's likely going to get Cole type money. They'd be better off going for Moose and getting Wheeler (4-$80M) for about the same money.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 28, 2019, 7:28 AM Post
Global Moderator
Eye Black said:

I'm actually here too. Basically make it a high AAV 2-year deal, which fits with the Brewers' window, and almost encourage the opt-out, which would benefit both teams at that time. And then pray he doesn't cliff or get hurt in those two years....

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 28, 2019, 12:04 PM Post
The thought of Rendon and Yelich in the same line-up makes me giddy!

Then I realize that it won't happen, and I am no longer giddy.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 28, 2019, 12:14 PM Post
Global Moderator
Rendon is going to get a lot of money, so it's either going to be all in - meaning 7 or 8 years, and $32-35M annually. Or they go short term, but for higher dollars - such as $37-40M annually for 2-3 years.

I don't think either happens, but you never know.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 28, 2019, 3:25 PM Post
wntrtxn21 said:
Eye Black said:

IMO Rendon is way out of Stearns' price range. He's likely going to get Cole type money. They'd be better off going for Moose and getting Wheeler (4-$80M) for about the same money.
Unless it’s self imposed (which would be total bs) it is absolute fiction that anyone is out of the Brewers’ price range this offseason. Whether it’s a good idea is another thing. Rendon and Yelich would be the best 3-4 in baseball. I say do whatever it takes to get him because the window is now.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 28, 2019, 4:05 PM Post
In theory Yelich Hiura Rendon is one hell of a 3 headed monster. It won't happen though

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 28, 2019, 7:50 PM Post
MilwaukeeBeers said:
wntrtxn21 said:
Eye Black said:

Unless it’s self imposed (which would be total bs) it is absolute fiction that anyone is out of the Brewers’ price range this offseason. Whether it’s a good idea is another thing. Rendon and Yelich would be the best 3-4 in baseball. I say do whatever it takes to get him because the window is now.

It's not that they can't afford to do it, it's that they can't afford for that deal to go bad. Someone is going to give him a 7 year offer. If he signs with us for 7 years, awesome! But that deal will kind of limit us to what we can do in the future for upgrades, players getting raises, and it still doesn't solve our pitching problem. Plus, why not use that money to extend Yeli? I feel like your basicaly saying he's gone in 3 years if you sign Rendon. You never know with stearns though, but imo you could get moose, a huge pitching additon, and a 1b for less than what it'd take to get rendon.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 28, 2019, 8:11 PM Post
Not that Rendon wasn’t good before, but he just had a killer career year and is going on 30. You don’t take a short term deal at that age when you can lock in the mega deal. A 2-3 year deal would be a dream theory if he was hitting FA at some crazy young age like 26-27.

It just doesn’t make a ton of sense for him.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 28, 2019, 9:07 PM Post
Global Moderator
MrTPlush said:
Not that Rendon wasn’t good before, but he just had a killer career year and is going on 30. You don’t take a short term deal at that age when you can lock in the mega deal. A 2-3 year deal would be a dream theory if he was hitting FA at some crazy young age like 26-27.

It just doesn’t make a ton of sense for him.

Let me preface with this before offering a counter argument, I think the odds of the Brewers signing Rendon as well as the odds that he actually takes a shorter term, higher AAV deal both remain extreme long shots.

Now if we were discussing any other superstar hitter turning 30 years old and entering free agency I would agree with you at an almost 100% certainty. Rendon seems like he could be a slightly different story in terms of motivation. He is the same guy that once said he doesn’t watch baseball on TV because it’s too boring, and more recently when asked what he was going to be doing at age 36 (the current age of teammate Howie Kendrick) he answered, “Hopefully not playing baseball. Probably sitting on the couch hanging out with my kids. [Kendrick is] probably going to play another 20 years.” Now I am sure he was just joking, but it also isn’t exactly the answer of a guy that is eyeing up some crazy decade long commitment. Now that being said, he is a Boras client.

Ultimately I think Rendon will probably re-sign with the Nationals for something like 7 years for $240-$250 million.

If I was a team convinced he was the difference making piece that was needed for a serious WS run I would consider offering him the following contract terms:

Year 1: $42.5 million
Year 2: $42.5 million
*Player Opt Out*
Year 3: $40 million
*Player Opt Out*
Year 4: $35 million
Year 5: $35 million
Year 6: Mutual Option for $35 million or $5 million buyout.

That guarantees him $85 million over two years before having the option to seek a new contract if he wishes. It gives him another option to look around after 3 years (and $125 million guaranteed). The full contract with the buyout guarantees him a minimum of $200 million over 5 years if he chooses not to take the player opt outs. I think that might appeal to him over a 7 year and $250 million deal with no player opt outs.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 29, 2019, 8:04 AM Post
If you want a 3B signed to a short term high annual contract, that isn't Rendon. You want to go after Donaldson.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 29, 2019, 8:29 AM Post
Living in la la land if we think there is a chance he's coming to Milwaukee... better chance of him retiring.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 29, 2019, 8:35 AM Post
rickh150 said:
Living in la la land if we think there is a chance he's coming to Milwaukee... better chance of him retiring.

I agree completely. Forget Rendon. If Stearns is looking to spend big money, spend it on Moose (3/$33M) - Wheeler (4/$80 with a 5th year including buyout) - Bentances (2/$12M). Could have all three for the money mentioned for one year of Rendon.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 29, 2019, 11:17 AM Post
wntrtxn21 said:
rickh150 said:

I agree completely. Forget Rendon. If Stearns is looking to spend big money, spend it on Moose (3/$33M) - Wheeler (4/$80 with a 5th year including buyout) - Bentances (2/$12M). Could have all three for the money mentioned for one year of Rendon.

Until Moose signs for 4-50, Wheeler 4-96, and Betances for 3-21. I think after Pomerance's deal, Grandal's etc, the cost is higher than what is believed until we reach the new year.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 29, 2019, 12:05 PM Post
brewcrewdue80 said:
wntrtxn21 said:
rickh150 said:

Until Moose signs for 4-50, Wheeler 4-96, and Betances for 3-21. I think after Pomerance's deal, Grandal's etc, the cost is higher than what is believed until we reach the new year.

About the max I would go to for Moose would be 3/36 with a 4th year option, really wish Erceg/Gatewood would have come on stronger, since we wouldn't be here if they would have panned out better. I just can't see throwing that amount of cash at Wheeler and Betances, too much. I'm having a hard enough time trying to decide whether they should tender Shaw as it is.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 29, 2019, 12:20 PM Post
I agree rather see them get a solid #2 and good/Decent bat

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 02, 2019, 10:00 PM Post
Global Moderator
rickh150 said:

No, actually just visiting. Headed back home to Crazy Town next week.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 02, 2019, 11:03 PM Post
brewcrewdue80 said:
wntrtxn21 said:
rickh150 said:

Somewhere between prophet & underestimation, BCD80.... referring to Moose' 4/64 deal today w/ the Reds. So much for $12M/year being a number he'd consider viable.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 02, 2019, 11:29 PM Post
Eye Black said:
rickh150 said:

No, actually just visiting. Headed back home to Crazy Town next week.

I love Crazy Town. I usually rent out an apartment there for at least a few weeks every postseason.

Having said that, I’m all in on making offers to Rendon & Strasburg, getting outbid on them, and signing Bumgarner & Donaldson...

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 49 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply