LambeauLeap1250 WSSP


  
 [ 15 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Notable non-tenders across MLB

Author Message
Offline  Notable non-tenders across MLB
#1

Posted: December 02, 2019, 11:56 PM Post
Posts: 4735
Thought it appropriate to throw out some names who were outrighted that could potentially be picked up by the Brewers to fill in current voids with their roster - IMO some of these names could compliment the 2020 roster assuming there are also a couple significant free agent acquisitions with pitching and 3B...feel free to comment on any of the below names I listed and add to it.

1B - CJ Cron - might be a late offseason addition if his recovery from right thumb surgery goes well. He'd be a platoon option at 1st if the Brewers add a lefty 1B to start most of the time.

OF - Domingo (yes, that guy!) Santana. If Braun actually is a possibility logging time at 1B in 2020, Santana could once again make sense for this roster.

Jose Peraza - 2B/SS/OF - still just 25, he had a bad 2019 but 2018 was solid and the talent is there to potentially salvage a MLB career - particularly if he isn't expected to be an everyday player.

Aaron Sanchez - P - this guy will miss the start of the 2020 season due to shoulder surgery, but if the recovery goes well it's a high upside option. My guess is some other team will jump in and overpay for what should be a low-risk/high reward move.

Blake Treinen - RP - had a poor 2019, but relief stats are fickle and he was awesome in 2018...might be an option to add depth to the bullpen for 2020.

Charlie Culberson - OF/SS/Util infielder - for those out there clamoring for a Hernan Perez replacement, he's the guy. Would be a good roster glue guy to stick towards the back of the bench.

Kevin Pillar - CF/OF - now that Gamel is back in the fold, Pillar might not be a good fit assuming Braun still plays most of his games in the OF. If Braun shifts to 1st and opens up a roster spot for another OF, he'd make sense at the right price.

Wouldn't surprise me at all to see at least one of these names in the fold for the Brewers next spring.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Notable non-tenders across MLB
#2

Posted: December 03, 2019, 3:44 AM Post
Posts: 4530
Maikel Franco was a guy for 3b I'd consider. If we didnt land someo e big there via trade or Rendon. He played 11games at 1b. Has sorta .740OPS splits from both sides. You may say those numbers are low but lets remember his division has had Max Scherzer. Thor, Strasburg, Wheeler, plus ToR/Cy Young types hes had to face more often than the avg 3b. Not sure if this would also be a contract year(que Moose pt2) and playing in NL Central at AmFam park may fit him to above .800 OPS on both handed sides.

Another is Taijuan Walker. SP returning from TJ for 1IP in last game of the season. I think he's a below 4ERA type. Just not sure on 150+IP reliability.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Notable non-tenders across MLB
#3

Posted: December 03, 2019, 8:21 AM Post
Posts: 593
Astros: Aaron Sanchez could be the next multi inning guy
Cubs: Danny Hultzen Same
Kevin Pillar I'd rather have him than gamel


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Notable non-tenders across MLB
#4

Posted: December 03, 2019, 8:42 AM Post
Posts: 609
ewitkows said:
Astros: Aaron Sanchez could be the next multi inning guy
Cubs: Danny Hultzen Same
Kevin Pillar I'd rather have him than gamel


I like your thinking on Hultzen. He's 30 with a long injury history, but a lefty who could be a big reward/ small risk pickup with little lost if he didn't pan out. Sanchez maybe as a long guy or 5th starter. No to Pillar. Gamel is better and a lot cheaper.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Notable non-tenders across MLB
#5

Posted: December 03, 2019, 8:49 AM Post
Posts: 609
brewcrewdue80 said:
Maikel Franco was a guy for 3b I'd consider. If we didnt land someo e big there via trade or Rendon. He played 11games at 1b. Has sorta .740OPS splits from both sides. You may say those numbers are low but lets remember his division has had Max Scherzer. Thor, Strasburg, Wheeler, plus ToR/Cy Young types hes had to face more often than the avg 3b. Not sure if this would also be a contract year(que Moose pt2) and playing in NL Central at AmFam park may fit him to above .800 OPS on both handed sides.

Another is Taijuan Walker. SP returning from TJ for 1IP in last game of the season. I think he's a below 4ERA type. Just not sure on 150+IP reliability.


I look at Franco as being a cheaper version of Todd Frazier. Not as good defensively at 3B, but a last resort kind of pickup. Walker will depend on how he does returning from TJ surgery. With only 1 IP last year he may be another year away from being helpful.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Notable non-tenders across MLB
#6

Posted: December 03, 2019, 8:50 AM Post
Posts: 1864
Location: Madison, WI
There are a few guys I'd have interest in:

RHRP - Blake Treinen
RHSP - Taijuan Walker
RHSP - Kevin Gausman

If the Brewers didn't have 2B already covered, I would for sure include Cesar Hernandez on this list.

If Gausman ends up signing a 1 year, 4 million dollar deal, then I like him as much as any of the "tier C" free agent pitchers. He had an awful ERA last year (5.72), but the xFIP was only 4.05. From 2016-2018 he was a 4.07 ERA, 4.30 FIP, 1.36 WHIP, 8.2 K/9 pitcher. No velocity drop from 2018-2019 and will only be in his age 29 season. I'd go after him pretty hard actually.

Walker is a risk coming off injury but he's always been a high upside guy and I'd be willing to roll the dice on him.

Treinen...who knows...could just prove to be an up-and-down reliever based on if his control is running hot or cold. Again, certainly the upside to take a chance on him.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Notable non-tenders across MLB
#7

Posted: December 03, 2019, 9:08 AM Post
Posts: 12542
I would give Walker some millions in a heartbeat. Give him some real generous incentives if he starts and/or stays healthy. Maybe add a team option for $12mil or so. Many wanted Nelson back, but I would gamble on Walker easily over Nelson.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Notable non-tenders across MLB
#8

Posted: December 03, 2019, 9:20 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 10016
Here's who I like for non-tenders:

1. Blake Treinen - Obviously. I think pretty much every team is going to be in on him, though, and he'll end up signing a deal that isn't exactly a bargain.

2. Cesar Hernandez - Positional flexibility, switch hitting and a very good OBP. He could be the new Hernan Perez.

3. Kevin Gausman - Really solid bounce-back candidate for the rotation.

4. Aaron Sanchez - Just oozes upside. Not sure how long he will be out after surgery, though.

5. Jimmy Nelson - Just not ready to quit him yet.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Notable non-tenders across MLB
#9

Posted: December 03, 2019, 10:02 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 991
JosephC said:
If Gausman ends up signing a 1 year, 4 million dollar deal, then I like him as much as any of the "tier C" free agent pitchers. He had an awful ERA last year (5.72), but the xFIP was only 4.05. From 2016-2018 he was a 4.07 ERA, 4.30 FIP, 1.36 WHIP, 8.2 K/9 pitcher. No velocity drop from 2018-2019 and will only be in his age 29 season. I'd go after him pretty hard actually.


I'd be shocked if he isn't high on their target list. They were the runner up in 2018 when Baltimore traded him to Atlanta. You might very well get your wish.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Notable non-tenders across MLB
#10

Posted: December 03, 2019, 11:55 AM Post
Posts: 4734
As expected, Hernandez is a non-tender.

I'd sign him in an instant.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Notable non-tenders across MLB
#11

Posted: December 03, 2019, 2:08 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 13803
Location: Milwaukee, WI
The problem with Hernandez is that he doesn't play anywhere but 2B. Now maybe he is open to doing more but he just hasn't throughout his career so far.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Notable non-tenders across MLB
#12

Posted: December 04, 2019, 11:35 AM Post
Posts: 4734
Brew4U said:
The problem with Hernandez is that he doesn't play anywhere but 2B. Now maybe he is open to doing more but he just hasn't throughout his career so far.


In the past, I noted he had played alongside Gold Glove/All-Star shortstops. He has played some shortstop in the majors, and played third base and center field in the minors.

There may be some rust to shake off, but I think Hernandez could be a good bench guy at the very least. In case he had been non-tendered, I'd have signed him to play short, with a similar plan to what the Brewers are doing with Urias.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Notable non-tenders across MLB
#13

Posted: December 05, 2019, 12:16 AM Post
Posts: 2396
clancyphile said:
Brew4U said:
The problem with Hernandez is that he doesn't play anywhere but 2B. Now maybe he is open to doing more but he just hasn't throughout his career so far.


In the past, I noted he had played alongside Gold Glove/All-Star shortstops. He has played some shortstop in the majors, and played third base and center field in the minors.

There may be some rust to shake off, but I think Hernandez could be a good bench guy at the very least. In case he had been non-tendered, I'd have signed him to play short, with a similar plan to what the Brewers are doing with Urias.


With how bad the 3b market is below Rendon and Donaldson I'd consider him there. He's not the traditional power bat but if he can OBP 360 again I don't care about power that much. Lowish K, high ish BB. 280/360/750 does the trick as a temporary solution.

Gausman is a very nice idea. I've wanted Teheran Miley and Lyles but Gausman makes a ton of sense.
Sign me up for Walker absolutely. Just for the upside of it. The question is how flexible is he with his roster status. I'd do a couple mil if he's willing to start off in the minors to get sharp or start off as a multi inning guy in the pen.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Notable non-tenders across MLB
#14

Posted: December 05, 2019, 2:06 AM Post
Posts: 4734
TJseven7 said:
clancyphile said:
Brew4U said:
The problem with Hernandez is that he doesn't play anywhere but 2B. Now maybe he is open to doing more but he just hasn't throughout his career so far.


In the past, I noted he had played alongside Gold Glove/All-Star shortstops. He has played some shortstop in the majors, and played third base and center field in the minors.

There may be some rust to shake off, but I think Hernandez could be a good bench guy at the very least. In case he had been non-tendered, I'd have signed him to play short, with a similar plan to what the Brewers are doing with Urias.


With how bad the 3b market is below Rendon and Donaldson I'd consider him there. He's not the traditional power bat but if he can OBP 360 again I don't care about power that much. Lowish K, high ish BB. 280/360/750 does the trick as a temporary solution.

Gausman is a very nice idea. I've wanted Teheran Miley and Lyles but Gausman makes a ton of sense.
Sign me up for Walker absolutely. Just for the upside of it. The question is how flexible is he with his roster status. I'd do a couple mil if he's willing to start off in the minors to get sharp or start off as a multi inning guy in the pen.


He's also fast. A leadoff option if Urias and Cain falter, and he's a switch-hitter. He's shown the ability to draw lots of walks, too.

If I'd been in Stearns's place, I'd have waited until after the non-tender deadline, signed Hernandez, and then done "Let's make a deal" with the Padres.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Notable non-tenders across MLB
#15

Posted: December 05, 2019, 8:45 AM Post
Posts: 609
Signing Hernandez is a lot harder to do than you think. He made over $7M last year and his agent isn't going to jump at the first low-ball offer he gets. Hernandez is a desirable player for many teams. Unless he takes a significant cut, his salary may deter many small market teams. Having said that, I'd love to have him.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 [ 15 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
  


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bdeuce05, Brew4U, LouisEly, mrolsent, NievesNoNO, Warning Track Power and 29 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search this forum (phpBB search):
Jump to:  
Search entire board (Google search):
Google
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Test