LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

[ 7 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Stearns Open to Trading Cain?

Offline  Stearns Open to Trading Cain?

Posted: December 03, 2019, 10:41 AM Post
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/282 ... rade-talks

I don’t recall Cain ever being specifically mentioned as a trade possibility until now, but it seems like the Brewers are at least open to the idea of moving Cain this offseason. Whether it’ll happen will remain to be seen, but that would be quite an interesting development.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Stearns Open to Trading Cain?

Posted: December 03, 2019, 10:44 AM Post
It would strictly be a salary dump I would imagine. Don’t think you’re getting much back for Cain at this point.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 03, 2019, 10:57 AM Post
He is set to make a lot of money the next 3 seasons, but odds are he rebounds this year to at least a .750 OPS with gold glove defense in CF. I'd rather not see him moved in a salary dump situation, I'd rather see him traded at the deadline if we are out of the race.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 03, 2019, 12:29 PM Post
Global Moderator
yoshii8 said:
He is set to make a lot of money the next 3 seasons, but odds are he rebounds this year to at least a .750 OPS with gold glove defense in CF. I'd rather not see him moved in a salary dump situation, I'd rather see him traded at the deadline if we are out of the race.

I think if he's moved, it's because of the org's projections of his OPS in years 4 and 5. I'd imagine most would agree with you about 2020/year 3.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 03, 2019, 12:39 PM Post
I will take the risk he rebounds. He had a good September and was decent in the second half overall. It would have to be a total salary dump for me to consider moving him. I would not pay to get rid of him.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 03, 2019, 12:42 PM Post
Can't imagine there's any way this happens, especially after we just traded Grisham last week and with Braunie coming off the books after this season. All of a sudden, we'll be losing a lot of that OF depth that we once had.

And as others have already mentioned, no team is going to want 3 more years of Cain with his contract numbers. I'd imagine that we'd have to pick up a pretty big % of what he is owed to make any type of a deal.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 03, 2019, 1:54 PM Post
I think maybe this move makes more sense next offseason versus this offseason. All depends if the Brewers think he has 1 more good year or not. You're playing with fire a bit the longer you hang onto him.

Quote   Reply 
 [ 7 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply