LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 35 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Kyle Seager

Offline  Kyle Seager

Posted: December 13, 2019, 8:11 AM Post
Mariners are reportedly shopping Seager. He checks the boxes for the Brewers. Hits left handed. Had a rebound from a lousy 2018. Shouldn't cost much in talent back given an inflated contract. Should be able to get Mariners to kick in some money.

Positives:

Higher career WAR than Moustakas

Very consistent power that could get a boost in Milwaukee

Wants to play for a winning organization

Solid defender

A left handed bat who'll balance out if they go for a RH first baseman

No long term commitment

Brother of Corey who's a FA in 2022

Negatives:

One year removed from career worst season

Solid but nothing special though is paid like he is

Expensive depending on how much Mariners pick up.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Kyle Seager

Posted: December 13, 2019, 9:01 AM Post
He would be an intriguing option especially if reports are true that he’s willing to waive his $15MM vesting option to go to a contender. Heck I’d be ok if it simply remains a team option. If Dipoto picks up say $11MM ($6MM in 2020 and $5MM in 2021). I’d be willing to send out a prospect like Supak in exchange for Seager. He fits well with the current roster and is worth $13MM per based on the current free agent market.

Last edited by bdpecore on December 13, 2019, 9:21 AM, edited 2 times in total.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 13, 2019, 9:10 AM Post
This is a rebound?

April - Did Not Play
May- .214 BA / .517 OPS ( 7 games)
June - .219 BA / .744 OPS
July - .220 BA / .683 OPS
August - .323 BA / 1.116 OPS
September - .202 BA / .675

Pretty much his entire year was inflated due to his August. Not really a rebound if you ask me. I will take a hard pass unless he is nearly free. No way I am paying him $14mil a year, yuck. I would have just paid Moustakas at that rate.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 13, 2019, 9:29 AM Post
MrTPlush said:
This is a rebound?

April - Did Not Play

Pretty much his entire year was inflated due to his August. Not really a rebound if you ask me. I will take a hard pass unless he is nearly free. No way I am paying him $14mil a year, yuck. I would have just paid Moustakas at that rate.

2019 WAR:

Seager: 2.4 bWAR, 2.9 fWAR (in 106 games/442 PA's) = .006 WAR/PA

Moustakas: 3.2 WAR, 2.8 fWAR (in 143 games/584 PA's) = .005 WAR/PA

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 13, 2019, 9:35 AM Post
LouisEly said:
MrTPlush said:
This is a rebound?

April - Did Not Play

2019 WAR:

So what you are telling me is they are maybe comparable? That would be exactly why I would have just paid Moustakas, who is certainly less risky of the two..and can also play 1B/2B as an added bonus.

Seager has posted a .750+ OPS in any given month exactly once in the last two years.

If someone wants to get Seager for $15mil a year and still give up a bag of balls (or more) they can have him.

Last Three Years:
Moustakas - 2.6 WAR average (BRef)
Seager - 1.96 WAR average (BRef)

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 13, 2019, 9:53 AM Post
Hmmm... how about this?
https://www.baseballtradevalues.com/trades/trade-18485/

Brewers get:
3B Seager
LHP Sheffield
RHP Dunn

Mariners get:
OF Lutz

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 13, 2019, 9:54 AM Post
MrTPlush said:
LouisEly said:
MrTPlush said:
This is a rebound?

April - Did Not Play

2019 WAR:

So what you are telling me is they are maybe comparable? That would be exactly why I would have just paid Moustakas, who is certainly less risky of the two..and can also play 1B/2B as an added bonus.

Seager has posted a .750+ OPS in any given month exactly once in the last two years.

If someone wants to get Seager for $15mil a year and still give up a bag of balls (or more) they can have him.

Last Three Years:
Moustakas - 2.6 WAR average (BRef)
Seager - 1.96 WAR average (BRef)

I’m with you that resigning Moose would’ve been the better move but he is no longer an option so Seager is now being suggested as an adequate replacement who IS still available to be had.

So instead of knocking a realistic idea which provides a viable alternative to fill the hole left by Moustakas signing with Cincy please explain why you don’t think this is a realistic/good option to replace Moose and offer up your opinion on who Stearns should target to play 3B in 2020.

Last edited by bdpecore on December 13, 2019, 10:00 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 13, 2019, 9:59 AM Post
clancyphile said:
Hmmm... how about this?

Brewers get:
3B Seager
LHP Sheffield
RHP Dunn

Mariners get:
OF Lutz

I have no idea how this provides LA with “equal value” but if Friedman hits his head hard enough to say “Yes”, Stearns needs to submit the necessary paperwork as soon as he hangs up the phone.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 13, 2019, 9:59 AM Post
bdpecore said:
So instead of knocking a idea which provides a viable alternative to fill the hole left by Moustakas signing with Cincy please explain why you don’t think this is a realistic/good option to replace Moose and offer up your opinion on who Stearns should target to play 3B in 2020.

I did, read the first post I made.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 13, 2019, 10:01 AM Post
*edited because you already responded to what I mentioned*

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 13, 2019, 10:02 AM Post
bdpecore said:
I’m with you that resigning Moose would’ve been the better move but he is no longer an option so Seager is now being suggested as an adequate replacement who IS still available to be had.

So instead of knocking a idea which provides a viable alternative to fill the hole left by Moustakas signing with Cincy please explain why you don’t think this is a realistic/good option to replace Moose and offer up your opinion on who Stearns should target to play 3B in 2020.

I can live with Seager at full price IF the Brewers can get something good in return.

Now, if people don't mind sending Tristan Lutz to Seattle, BaseballTradeValues.com indicated that in addition to Seagar, the crew could land Justus Sheffield and Justin Dunn.

Now, things get interesting.

Seager may or may not rebound, but Dunn looks like the young #2 the Crew wants. Sheffield could slot into the pen.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 13, 2019, 10:05 AM Post
MrTPlush said:
bdpecore said:

I did, read the first post I made.

Fair enough on the explanation. Do you have a better suggestion on who the Brewers could target to replace Moose?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 13, 2019, 10:07 AM Post
clancyphile said:
bdpecore said:

I can live with Seager at full price IF the Brewers can get something good in return.

Now, if people don't mind sending Tristan Lutz to Seattle, BaseballTradeValues.com indicated that in addition to Seagar, the crew could land Justus Sheffield and Justin Dunn.

Now, things get interesting.

Seager may or may not rebound, but Dunn looks like the young #2 the Crew wants. Sheffield could slot into the pen.

I would take the valuations from the trade value site with low regard.. it is hard to properly value non performance intangibles and other values specific to a franchise. If Seattle wants to offload Seager they can do so by just eating the cost and getting back a small prospect. I would be incredulous if the above offer would even be considered on their end.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 13, 2019, 10:10 AM Post
bdpecore said:
clancyphile said:
Hmmm... how about this?

Brewers get:
3B Seager
LHP Sheffield
RHP Dunn

Mariners get:
OF Lutz

I have no idea how this provides LA with “equal value” but if Friedman hits his head hard enough to say “Yes”, Stearns needs to submit the necessary paperwork as soon as he hangs up the phone.

Edit: Sorry, I’m not sure why I was thinking of Corey not Kyle. This would be a good return for the Brewers but I’m not sure Dipoto would give up this much just to dump all of Seager’s salary. I think he is more willing to send a significant amount of $$$ out to minimize his need to add value to a deal.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 13, 2019, 10:24 AM Post
Do not want. We would need seriously good prospects as well to take on the contract.

There is almost no upside to getting Seager. He was good in his career year in 2016 at age 28. If he was likely to replicate that year he could be an option, but I just don't see it. If this was the last year of his contract he could be a decent stop gap player for a year as well, but I don't want to have to deal with his contract for 2 or more likely 3 years.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 13, 2019, 11:01 AM Post
bdpecore said:
bdpecore said:
clancyphile said:
Hmmm... how about this?

Brewers get:
3B Seager
LHP Sheffield
RHP Dunn

Mariners get:
OF Lutz

Edit: Sorry, I’m not sure why I was thinking of Corey not Kyle. This would be a good return for the Brewers but I’m not sure Dipoto would give up this much just to dump all of Seager’s salary. I think he is more willing to send a significant amount of $$$ out to minimize his need to add value to a deal.

Dangle Tristan Lutz in front of him... maybe he does cough up a return. Why think small?

Milwaukee is a small market, but that doesn't mean they can't think big.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 13, 2019, 2:01 PM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
This would be a "win while Yelich is still around" type of acquisition and I would be open to it.

I'm guessing the Mariners would rather eat some of the contract and keep their prospects. But we have money to spend. And his numbers will get a bump from escaping Seattle.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 13, 2019, 2:02 PM Post
MrTPlush said:
So what you are telling me is they are maybe comparable? That would be exactly why I would have just paid Moustakas

MrTPlush said:
I will take a hard pass unless he is nearly free. No way I am paying him $14mil a year, yuck.

So you agree that they are comparable, but would pay one $64M over 4 years but would hard pass on the other one unless he is nearly free?

MrTPlush said:

He posted a .843 road OPS over the entire season last year.

You don't think that going from Seattle (.738 home OPS last year) to Milwaukee will help boost his offensive output?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 13, 2019, 2:13 PM Post
LouisEly said:
You don't think that going from Seattle (.738 home OPS last year) to Milwaukee will help boost his offensive output?

For the record I said I would have spent money on Moustakas over the Seager trade proposed...if those were the options. I wouldn't do either...just saying if I was spending $15mil I would have gotten Moustakas.

Would it? Sure, but as I pointed out I am not entirely sure he actually bounced back. Kind of hiding his poor play the majority of the year with a fluke hot streak that doesn't indicate his truer production level.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 13, 2019, 2:29 PM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
Will Moustakas be worth anything by the 4th year of that contract? If you are thinking about how to cover 2020 and 2021 then Seager could potentially be a significant cost savings for a comparable player.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 35 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply