LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 46 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Deal with the Pirates (Josh Bell / Chris Archer)

Online  Re: Deal with the Pirates (Josh Bell / Chris Archer)

Posted: January 27, 2020, 6:14 PM Post
turborickey said:
*gag*gag*gag*

There it again, the Archer stuff just never goes away.

I understand the gagging over giving away a huge return for him like the Pirates did, but buying low on a guy like Archer now if it costs next to nothing is exactly the type of move we should be making.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Deal with the Pirates (Josh Bell / Chris Archer)

Posted: January 27, 2020, 6:28 PM Post
I'd be interested in what a deal for Archer could look like. It'd essentially be a $9.25m commitment ($9m in 2020, $250k buyout of a $11m salary in 2021), and with not much money on the books for 2020 it's very doable. Archers value is probably at an all time low, and the Pirates are clearly sellers. Take on the entire salary, and the prospect return will be minimal.

Now the big question is of course how good he'll be. I didn't watch enough of him to have any inkling about why his numbers with the Pirates are the way they are, if he can rebound from it or if it's the start (or continuation really) of decay. If the evaluators in the Brewers FO think there's some upside, then a sensible deal could be made. I'd rather see the payroll budget spent elsewhere, but at this point I'm not sure where that would be.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 28, 2020, 12:27 AM Post
Lathund said:
I'd be interested in what a deal for Archer could look like. It'd essentially be a $9.25m commitment ($9m in 2020, $250k buyout of a $11m salary in 2021), and with not much money on the books for 2020 it's very doable. Archers value is probably at an all time low, and the Pirates are clearly sellers. Take on the entire salary, and the prospect return will be minimal.

Now the big question is of course how good he'll be. I didn't watch enough of him to have any inkling about why his numbers with the Pirates are the way they are, if he can rebound from it or if it's the start (or continuation really) of decay. If the evaluators in the Brewers FO think there's some upside, then a sensible deal could be made. I'd rather see the payroll budget spent elsewhere, but at this point I'm not sure where that would be.

Here's what I cobbled together using BaseballTradeValues.com:
https://www.baseballtradevalues.com/trades/trade-22207/

Brewers get:
RHP Chris Archer
SS Ji-Hwan Bae

Pirates get:
OF Tristan Lutz

Pirates are $700K ahead on surplus value... Brewers get Archer, and SS prospect Ji-Hwan Bae, who has a good hit tool, OBP skills, and speed.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 28, 2020, 7:52 AM Post
Oh puke. He did every bit the warning signs I mentioned when we went down this road before. He was hit hard back then, now that translates to 1.9HR/9 from 1.4 previous season. Walks were higher. There isn't upside in this guy. Clancy this time I believe you have Milw overpaying by quite a lot.

Just pass. He Ks a lot of people and had some 200IP seasons. So one would think he was good. But just not the case.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 28, 2020, 8:08 AM Post
clancyphile said:
Brewers get:
RHP Chris Archer
SS Ji-Hwan Bae

Pirates get:
OF Tristan Lutz

Shocking you want to get rid of Lutz once again. Do you include him in EVERY trade deal you come up with because you hate him, or do you view him as the only player in our minor league system that anyone would want?

geez.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Deal with the Pirates (Josh Bell / Chris Archer)

Posted: January 28, 2020, 11:24 AM Post
clancyphile said:
Lathund said:

Here's what I cobbled together using BaseballTradeValues.com:
https://www.baseballtradevalues.com/trades/trade-22207/

Brewers get:
RHP Chris Archer
SS Ji-Hwan Bae

Pirates get:
OF Tristan Lutz

Pirates are $700K ahead on surplus value... Brewers get Archer, and SS prospect Ji-Hwan Bae, who has a good hit tool, OBP skills, and speed.

I doubt the Pirates would even think about it. Right now Bae is a better prospect than Lutz. They could peddle Archer for something better too. The trade value sight way, way over-values Lutz.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 46 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply