LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next  [ 406 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

3rd Base Candidates

Offline  Re: 3rd Base Candidates
Posted: January 12, 2020, 8:29 AM Post
Expecting Sogard to repeat his career year at age 33 is just as much a folly.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 12, 2020, 8:32 AM Post
Soupbone said:

Exactly. We just don't know. I don't expect that, but it doesn't mean it can't happen.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 12, 2020, 9:58 AM Post
PeaveyFury said:
Just so everyone is clear, Jerk-Store is Gyorko’s nickname, and he wears it on his players weekend jersey.

Here I was hoping it was created by BF like Jim Diego Edmonds

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 12, 2020, 10:19 AM Post
Ron Robinson's Beard said:
Soupbone said:

Exactly. We just don't know. I don't expect that, but it doesn't mean it can't happen.

Looking over the last three years - Sogard posted a .744 OPS, including a .352 OBP.
https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... g_standard

Ironically, Marcel projections from Baseball-Reference have him posting a .744 OPS over 380 ABs.

If that is what he provides - and I think that 2018 was more the fluke than 2017-2019 was... then I think Sogard will be quite valuable as a part-time SS/3B.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 12, 2020, 10:52 AM Post
Ron Robinson's Beard said:
Soupbone said:

Nor have I seen anyone that is actually expecting him to repeat his career year. That doesn't mean he can't be an effective player when put in a position to best maximize his strengths.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 12, 2020, 11:13 AM Post
The problem is that we have too many positions where we are hoping a player we put out there today will maximize his strengths. Very few sure things in our lineup. And as I said in an earlier thread this is the best we can hope for. When it all works we are competitive and when it doesn't we are looking who we can sign for a good value for next year. But is being competitive enough? For most fans it probably is. But that doesn't bring a championship to Milwaukee. And that is really what everyone should want.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 12, 2020, 11:13 AM Post
TJseven7 said:
Matty V said:
People act like Jerkstore's injuries from 2019 will magically go away. He had a back injury, calf injury, and a wrist injury. He needed surgery on the wrist. For 2020, I'm taking the under compared to his 2016-18 WAR. In fact, I'll take the way under. I think he will be off the roster by the trade deadline. That said, I'd love to be wrong.

Nobody does. He has been a 440 PA guy from 25-29 because he's always nicked up. The back was spasms. There's a long history of tissue issues with him that have cost him time here and there. That'll continue. He's not going to play a full season. Wonder why MKE added him to platoon 3b with Sogard? The NBA calls it load management. The new 26 man roster allows you to manufacture 2 positions. I think 440 PA from both covers all of 3b and then some.

I'll happily trust the MKE medical staff and DS on this one over your hunch that he's toast which is fueled by bias because you wanted someone else.

People are excited about his platoon capabilities at 3b, which he plays solid defensively, in the smaller half of the platoon. No one's expecting an All Star. He's here to abuse LHP and play 3b for 65-75 starts this year. That's 3 games a week.

You would not have a 440PA split for the season. 350-400, 360-390, 370-380
Would be the max split dont you think? 4x162=648. 5x162=810.

I think we're done with 3b barring the "trade" Stearns said would likely get his 3b. Im certainly feeling better with Gyorko at 3b than Andujar involved in trade ideas to play 3b in 2020.

Last edited by brewcrewdue80 on January 12, 2020, 12:45 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 12, 2020, 11:21 AM Post
Soupbone said:
The problem is that we have too many positions where we are hoping a player we put out there today will maximize his strengths. Very few sure things in our lineup. And as I said in an earlier thread this is the best we can hope for. When it all works we are competitive and when it doesn't we are looking who we can sign for a good value for next year. But is being competitive enough? For most fans it probably is. But that doesn't bring a championship to Milwaukee. And that is really what everyone should want.

When you have enough guys out there who can maximize their strengths, it very much can get you a championship. I personally would have loved to see what this team could have done had they been able to escape that Wild Card game, because that was a team that was full of guys maximizing their strengths. Get to the playoffs, and all bets are off.

In the end, as much as we may not want to admit it, this is the way they are going to build. They had the opportunity to get Grandal and Moose on short deals last year, and while I'm very happy they took advantage of that opportunity, those deals simply aren't going to happen every season. So what we are left with is taking flyers on guys who have had proven big league success, but had down seasons for whatever reason last year.

I will say one thing ... this is really Stearn's first opportunity to remake this squad in the image he wants. If they are a top-flight contender this season, that's all on him. Likewise if they are bad. I personally feel they will be a contender, but I can certainly see a chance for doom and gloom as well. It's shaping up to be an extremely interesting year.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 12, 2020, 12:32 PM Post
Soupbone said:

Define sure thing. Were Cain, Shaw and Chacin sure things in your mind going into last year? These are people, not robots, there are no sure things. If we had signed Smoak or Gyorko last off season would they have been a sure thing? I'd think we'd have been happy to sign either.

It didn't "all work" last year, far from it, and the team was on the verge of winning the wild card game. This notion that everything has to go exactly perfect for this team to win is just flat wrong. It's like people forget the rosters we rolled in with the last two years. There weren't many prognosticators predicting the Brewers in the playoffs either year but there they were.

Yes being competitive is enough. As we saw last year, the postseason is all about getting the right breaks, not necessarily which team is best on paper. The Dodgers have won how many consecutive division titles? They have spent tons of money and made all knids of splashy moves, what has that guarantee them? Nothing is the answer. Being competitive is the whole point.

This whole doom and gloom narrative by a handful of posters is just bizarre at best. When it comes to roster construction and obstacles they want to forget last year but when it comes to player acquisitions this year all they want to remember is last year. At some point folks are going to have to understand that this is how DS is going to run this team. Sure, he will make exceptions of truly special talents but if not, he is going to mine for undervalued players. He isn't going to overpay for mediocrity. Its going to be on those two extremes. I can understand being underwhelmed by what they have done this off season but some of these reactions are so short sighted.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 12, 2020, 2:13 PM Post
I get what you are saying 82brewcrew. Yes this is how DS is going to build this team. Because of our payroll this is how he has to build this team. What I am saying is that MLB has a problem with payroll inequity at they don't care. As long as the Yankees and Dodgers and a handful of other teams are good they don't care. Not gloom and doom on my part. Just reality.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 12, 2020, 2:36 PM Post
Soupbone said:
I get what you are saying 82brewcrew. Yes this is how DS is going to build this team. Because of our payroll this is how he has to build this team. What I am saying is that MLB has a problem with payroll inequity at they don't care. As long as the Yankees and Dodgers and a handful of other teams are good they don't care. Not gloom and doom on my part. Just reality.

I agree with you to some degree. A smaller market team has to be a bit more creative but I don't agree with the sentiment that we can't contend unless everything is perfect. We just have to have a front office that understands our constraints. Having said that, your comment was that "When it all works we are competitive and when it doesn't we are looking who we can sign for a good value for next year.". I just don't accept that premise as evidenced by last years team. DS is building in layers of depth and flexibility for a reason. That is how this years offense is going to work, through match-ups and flexibility. This is exactly how the pitching staff has been used the last couple of seasons and now you are going to see that play out with the offense. Probably not ideal but given the circumstances of this particular off season, that was the way DS determined to go about it and he did it in such a way that he can change course next off season should the circumstances dictate that change. We don't need everyone of these moves to work out extraordinarily well. We have the flexibility to add at third in season if that need arises. Who knows, how this all plays out but the the Brewers have the flexibility to deal with it and the doom and gloom garbage is way overblown in my opinion.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 12, 2020, 9:52 PM Post
brewcrewdue80 said:
You would not have a 440PA split for the season. 350-400, 360-390, 370-380
Would be the max split dont you think? 4x162=648. 5x162=810.

I think we're done with 3b barring the "trade" Stearns said would likely get his 3b. Im certainly feeling better with Gyorko at 3b than Andujar involved in trade ideas to play 3b in 2020.

Wasn't merely counting 3b. I think Sogard could get some extra work at other positions and I think Gyorko could play 1b if Braun is hurt or if they face a LH in a DH game. Add PHs.

I set it at 440 on each for a little overflow because Gyorko will PH and Sogard won't be strictly 3b.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 13, 2020, 8:59 AM Post
It should be reiterated that the Brewers aren't counting on career years from these low budget signings. They're looking for them to play up to the well established strong side of their splits.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 13, 2020, 9:55 AM Post
True Blue Brew Crew said:
It should be reiterated that the Brewers aren't counting on career years from these low budget signings. They're looking for them to play up to the well established strong side of their splits.

There's some upside with Garcia, Narvaez, and Healy. Healy was a 3.5 WAR player over his first year and a half in the big leagues and still slugged 24 HR the next year in Seattle. If healthy playing in Miller Park, he has 30 HR potential. Narvaez is just coming into his own, and I take with a major grain of salt his framing issues catching for horrific staffs in Chicago and Seattle. Garcia was very highly regarded when he was younger, and while is progress hasn't been a straight line, the overall trend has been upward to solid major leaguer at this point.

Now as far as Sogard and Smoak are concerned, you just hope they provide professional AB's consistent of veteran journeymen they both are.. I personally have no hope for Gyorko, who peaked briefly for the Cardinals but before and since wasn't much. He's got holes that pitchers figured out.

My big concern is the pitching staff. I just don't see any bullpen depth or have any confidence there's a solid number 2 starter among the group they have. There's a few maybes like Hauser in the rotation or Peralta in the pen, but contending teams don't start out with a bunch of maybes. I'm still holding out hope they can get a salary dump veteran starter who's can stabilize things.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 13, 2020, 9:57 AM Post
Even just taking the three year splits on most of these guys (which include some pretty awful seasons) sets a pretty good bar for what to hope for.

And here are the outgoing players' 3-year splits, pretty comparable (for a lot less money):

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 13, 2020, 11:21 AM Post
If for whatever reason, the Cardinals go crazy and trade for Arenado...I love the idea of getting our hands on Carpenter. He's going to bounce back in a big way this year.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 13, 2020, 12:20 PM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
If for whatever reason, the Cardinals go crazy and trade for Arenado...I love the idea of getting our hands on Carpenter. He's going to bounce back in a big way this year.

No-no-no. He's due $56M (if he vests in 2020-2021) in the next 3 years. $39M in the next two years if he doesn't make his vesting numbers. Way too much money to take a risk with him.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 14, 2020, 8:02 AM Post
Global Moderator
Devinep said:
Try to get Abraham Toro, the Astros #5 prospect, in a trade to at least have upside and controllability at 3B. He’s a switch hitter who had a 938 OPS at AAA as a 22 year old. He made the bigs for a bit but obviously is blocked by bregman

Before he was fired yesterday there was talk from Jeff Luhnow that the Astros might try to develop Toro as a catcher in the near future. Apparently he served as the team’s emergency catcher at the end of last season. I do think Toro would be an interesting target if the Astros were willing to deal him. Of course, I am not exactly sure who you would call to work out a trade with the Astros right now.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 14, 2020, 6:50 PM Post
Donaldson to Twins

https://twitter.com/feinsand/status/121 ... 09408?s=21

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 14, 2020, 7:14 PM Post
With the Twins set at 3B for the next few years, how about calling them up and seeing what it would take to get Luis Arraez? Not much power but an absolute on base machine and he’s young and controllable.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next  [ 406 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply