LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next  [ 406 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

3rd Base Candidates

Offline  Re: 3rd Base Candidates
Posted: January 14, 2020, 7:28 PM Post
Global Moderator
wibadgers23 said:
With the Twins set at 3B for the next few years, how about calling them up and seeing what it would take to get Luis Arraez? Not much power but an absolute on base machine and he’s young and controllable.

Arraez is a pretty intriguing player, but it looks like he's slated to be the Twins starting 2B at this point. Don't think they'd be very motivated to move him.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 22, 2020, 11:56 AM Post
BA posted their top 100 today(membership needed) got me to wonder how Monte Harrison was doing. Followed by checking the marlins mlb top 30 and seeing Isan Diaz and Jordan Yamamoto weren't there anymore due to MLB service time. While looking at the Marlins team page on BRef, they have a 3b by the name of Brian Anderson who has some solid things going for him. Hit more HRs last year in less PAs than season before. Had an .811 OPS for his 2019. Statcast he's around 90MPH exit velo(+) and a 21% K Rate(avg). More Launch last season(+), more barrels (+) and an 8.5% BB rate(Avg) plus the ever important age 26 turning 27 this season. He's hit RHP better than LHP. Has a near identical H/A .777/.773 OPS career and has a 30/40/30 spray chart all around the outfield. And a 3.8BWAR last season after 3.9 in 2018.
Now he doesn't have the eye-popping years in the minors to dream on him near playing AS baseball so I think you could maybe get away with less offered. It'd still hurt but they may want some insurance on SS and even 2b. That would put Turang atop the trade. They'd lose their 3b so you'd add Gyorko for that, and part with Erceg to be their future 3b.
The upside here is will Anderson improve on his LHP split, moving to Miller increase his Home OPS and being prime aged controlled. His Defensive stats improved for 3b from his 2018 and he's near a full season experience playing RF.

I'd say someone to look at with the 3-5WAR gain for an everyday 3b.

Why would Miami make this trade? They're clearly still rebuilding and Turang and Erceg pushes the timeline back to fit when they'd come out of it. Isan Diaz doesn't have the best history for maintaining solid batting slashes, but he does have flashes that a team may want to buy during the trade deadline or offseason this season or next. Marlins with Turang have another SS type prospect so they have the 2b depth to make such a move. Among the Marlins top 10 are 4 SPs all at AA level for 2019 so fits the narrative to a 2year window delay and reason to part with Anderson for Turang and Erceg that are about 2years to impact away.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 22, 2020, 4:20 PM Post
brewcrewdue80 said:
BA posted their top 100 today(membership needed) got me to wonder how Monte Harrison was doing. Followed by checking the marlins mlb top 30 and seeing Isan Diaz and Jordan Yamamoto weren't there anymore due to MLB service time. While looking at the Marlins team page on BRef, they have a 3b by the name of Brian Anderson who has some solid things going for him. Hit more HRs last year in less PAs than season before. Had an .811 OPS for his 2019. Statcast he's around 90MPH exit velo(+) and a 21% K Rate(avg). More Launch last season(+), more barrels (+) and an 8.5% BB rate(Avg) plus the ever important age 26 turning 27 this season. He's hit RHP better than LHP. Has a near identical H/A .777/.773 OPS career and has a 30/40/30 spray chart all around the outfield. And a 3.8BWAR last season after 3.9 in 2018.
Now he doesn't have the eye-popping years in the minors to dream on him near playing AS baseball so I think you could maybe get away with less offered. It'd still hurt but they may want some insurance on SS and even 2b. That would put Turang atop the trade. They'd lose their 3b so you'd add Gyorko for that, and part with Erceg to be their future 3b.
The upside here is will Anderson improve on his LHP split, moving to Miller increase his Home OPS and being prime aged controlled. His Defensive stats improved for 3b from his 2018 and he's near a full season experience playing RF.

I'd say someone to look at with the 3-5WAR gain for an everyday 3b.

Why would Miami make this trade? They're clearly still rebuilding and Turang and Erceg pushes the timeline back to fit when they'd come out of it. Isan Diaz doesn't have the best history for maintaining solid batting slashes, but he does have flashes that a team may want to buy during the trade deadline or offseason this season or next. Marlins with Turang have another SS type prospect so they have the 2b depth to make such a move. Among the Marlins top 10 are 4 SPs all at AA level for 2019 so fits the narrative to a 2year window delay and reason to part with Anderson for Turang and Erceg that are about 2years to impact away.

Imo no team thinks Erceg is that great a prospect anymore. He hit .248/.306/.688 OPS at AA in 2018. Last year he hit .218/.305/.703 OPS at San Antonio. He would be a throw-in at best. I'm not sure the Marlins make Anderson available, but I think you're right that they would want Turang and more.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 23, 2020, 1:54 AM Post
That's true. But I will argue on Erceg's end that 2018 was full season and his 1st for AA. 2019 minus a 4game stint from A ball, was essentially a full first season at AAA.
Anderson's career OPS sits at .756 in the minors with a 1.0+ for AAA as he established himself in to the big leagues. Here was his MLB writeup in 2017 ranked 8th for Miami's prospects.

Scouting grades: Hit: 45 | Power: 50 | Run: 50 | Arm: 60 | Field: 55 | Overall: 50
Anderson made a name for himself during his college career at Arkansas, showing advanced feel to hit and power potential as well as the ability to play multiple positions. The Marlins, believing in his untapped offensive potential, made him a third-round pick in 2014. He scuffled offensively the following year at Class A Advanced Jupiter, but rebounded in 2016, as he earned an early-season promotion to Double-A Jacksonville and then hit a circuit-best five homers as part of an impressive Arizona Fall League campaign. He built on that success in 2017, earning a trip to the SiriusXM All-Star Futures Game followed by a promotion to Triple-A New Orleans.

Anderson's right-handed swing has cleaned up nicely since signing, and he's long showed good feel for finding the barrel along with a selective approach. Tall and athletic in the box, he knows how to create leverage and extension through the hitting zone, giving him at least average power potential, with above-average raw pop to his pull side. After bouncing between the infield and outfield in college and then working at both second and third base during his professional debut, Anderson has manned the hot corner exclusively since the start of 2015. His hands, range and plus arm are all fits at the position.

Anderson's performance in the Fall League set the stage for a 2017 campaign that's seen him improve on all fronts against advanced competition. While there once was concern about whether he would hit for enough average and power to profile as a regular at the hot corner, Anderson has done his part to prove his detractors wrong with a career-best campaign in '17

That was his 2nd go at AA and 33gm great AAA show to run right on to Miami's ML team. Hasnt looked back. Erceg is pretty much at the same stage. And Im using Erceg as trade bait but I wonder with Stearns 3b moves thus far this offseason, if they are preparing for that reality before the end of 2020. Erceg probably never sniffs the top 100 again because he'd be promoted before that ranking could come out. Just going to remain positive on him. Grisham came outta nowhere after basically looking toast as a prospect.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 28, 2020, 7:56 AM Post
I keep coming back to Lowrie. He fits the short term contract mold and the Brewers don't need him to play every day. And sliding Sogard into a utility role would be a great depth move.

Brewers get: Lowrie & Giles
Mets get: Arcia (to offset some salary if Urias' wrist is okay; bag of balls if not)
Blue Jays get: Smith & Supak/Brown/…

I couldn't find/think of any deals where a closer was dealt with 1 year of control left for comparison, but I figured Giles has between 5-10M of surplus value.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 30, 2020, 9:10 AM Post
I'd still like to see Derek Dietrich signed to a minor league deal. I'm not sold on the Gyorko/Sogard platoon at 3B being productive, or even staying healthy. Dietrich started off scorching hot for the Reds last season, before falling off the planet in the second half. But he's a decent bounce-back candidate, and he's only entering his age 30 season. He'd also provide decent power from the left side of the plate, and has quite a bit of positional versatility (although he's not particularly good defensively at any of those positions).

Plus, the Cardinals hate the guy, which would bring an extra layer of fun.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 03, 2020, 9:02 AM Post
Guys...

Are we really going to go into the season with Sogard/Gyorko as our 3B? I love Sogard as the new super-expensive Hernan Perez, but I don't love him as the strong side of a platoon at 3B. Gyorko is a total unknown. Is it time to give up on the hope of someone coming to save us from this platoon?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 03, 2020, 9:23 AM Post
Warning Track Power said:
Guys...

Are we really going to go into the season with Sogard/Gyorko as our 3B? I love Sogard as the new super-expensive Hernan Perez, but I don't love him as the strong side of a platoon at 3B. Gyorko is a total unknown. Is it time to give up on the hope of someone coming to save us from this platoon?

Unless someone steps up for Hader, or the Mariners decide to salary dump Seager, yeah.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 03, 2020, 10:21 AM Post
This is my one major concern going into the 2020 season. I think the other offensive spots are good enough to contend. Hopefully someone outperforms whats expected.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 03, 2020, 10:45 AM Post
Warning Track Power said:
Guys...

Usually you aren't going to have an all-star caliber player at every position. Those guys as a platoon project to have pretty solid production. We can also potentially add 3b at the deadline. It's pretty likely at this point we open with that platoon.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 03, 2020, 10:48 AM Post
Offensively, I'm going to predict that this platoon does not perform well enough to remain for the entire season. Somehow, something else will need to be done.

I just can't believe that we are going into the season with that as our 3B situation. Almost seems like we are just throwing in the towel on 3B, and hoping every other position works out.

Now that it looks like Arcia might be playing a lot more SS than originally planned, this is concerning.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 03, 2020, 10:51 AM Post
KeithStone53151 said:

Usually you aren't going to have an all-star caliber player at every position.

True, but look at our infield, offensively, I think Hiura is the only position that we know what we have. SS is now up in the air, 3B looks like a nightmare, and 1B could be troublesome too with Smoak penciled in for at least half the starts.

Hiura is the only bright spot in that infield, everything else is a complete and total crap shoot.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 03, 2020, 11:04 AM Post
turborickey said:
KeithStone53151 said:

Usually you aren't going to have an all-star caliber player at every position.

True, but look at our infield, offensively, I think Hiura is the only position that we know what we have. SS is now up in the air, 3B looks like a nightmare, and 1B could be troublesome too with Smoak penciled in for at least half the starts.

Hiura is the only bright spot in that infield, everything else is a complete and total crap shoot.

I'm going to nitpick and call the bolded a bit of an understatement, but otherwise I generally see and agree with your point. SS is unfortunate as we had a real shot at solid production there until Urias got hurt. 1b I think will be super solid with Braun/Smoak. Probably no all-star, but that combination could easily yield borderline all-star production in tandem. 3b is certainly our weakest position, but it's probably better than most think. Before the Urias injury, we basically had 4 guys competing for playing time at 2 spots. The competition would likely bring the very very best out of at least 2 of the players. Do you think Gyorko is content coasting through the year, hitting decently in his AB against lefties, which at best would result in a minor league deal from someone next year? Or do you think we're going to see the very best version of him show up in camp and try to win the 3b job outright so he can potentially parlay that into a multi-year deal next year? My money is on the latter. That same thought process can be applied to all 4 guys with slight variables.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 03, 2020, 12:04 PM Post
Global Moderator
In 2019 we got an MLB worst 73 wRC+ & 0.1 WAR (only 3rd worst!!) out of 3B, we also got an MLB worst 56 wRC+ & -0.9 WAR out of SS...and still won 89 games.

I think Gyorko/Sogard can clear that level of production & won't hinder the team from winning a comparable number of games in 2020.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 03, 2020, 12:12 PM Post
I expect that 3B is going to be an easy position to fill with a mid season acquisition if things aren't going well. I don't have any concerns at all about 1B.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 03, 2020, 2:53 PM Post
I'm with turborickey. I have very little confidence that 3B is going to be even league average. Oh I know we can take their stats from a given time. Or say their splits are going to add up to something. But Sogard/Gyorko wouldn't play for a LOT of teams. We are supposed to be in a "window of contention" and this does not look good.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 03, 2020, 3:36 PM Post
Soupbone said:
I'm with turborickey. I have very little confidence that 3B is going to be even league average. Oh I know we can take their stats from a given time. Or say their splits are going to add up to something. But Sogard/Gyorko wouldn't play for a LOT of teams. We are supposed to be in a "window of contention" and this does not look good.

While I typically preach benefit of the doubt, I too am worried as well that the production at 3B is going to be terrible. Sure, we could get very good production at other spots to help mitigate it, but why should we need to be in that situation? At the same time, as sveumrules says above, our 3B production last year was pretty meh. And both Gyorko and Sogard aren't making enough where their salaries are going to stand in the way of making an improvement at that spot if warranted. If Stearns has proven anything, it's that he isn't going to sit on his hands and allow a spot to be a black hole long term. Shaw was given a pretty decently long leash last year, and multiple chances, but it isn't like they just kept running him out there for the whole season. if the current plan doesn't work. I expect them to pivot relatively quickly.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 03, 2020, 3:46 PM Post
Both guys are basically backup players at best. But they will be our combination starting 3rd basemen. I can see any way of being positive of our 3rd base prospects

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 03, 2020, 3:51 PM Post
Perhaps we'd match up as trade partners with the Diamondbacks on a 3B option.

With the acquisition of Starling Marte last week from the Pirates, it pushes Ketel Marte back from CF to 2B and Eduardo Escobar from 2B to 3B.

This pushes left handing hitting Jake Lamb (29) to the bench or 1B/3B platoon situation.

They also have right handing hitting 3B/1B Kevin Cron (27) sitting at AAA and major league ready.

They also have Seth Beer (23) and Pavin Smith (24) in the minors for future coverage at 1B.

I think either Lamb or Cron could be had via trade.

It would also be a dream come true to possibly trade for a 1B of the future and make Seth Beer a Brewer! lol

Maybe something like:

OF Corey Ray
RHP Trey Supak

for
1B Seth Beer
3B Jake Lamb

Youtube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC42UlEqaIRsK4SCoIMoajvQ/videos?disable_polymer=1
Twitter
https://twitter.com/brewcrewreview1
Podbean
https://brewcrewreview.podbean.com/

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 03, 2020, 4:01 PM Post
Everyone is basically ignoring Healy? I understand his defense is sub par and he's coming off an injury, but he's a guy that averaged 25 HR and 75 RBI in his first 2 and a half major league seasons and he's only one season removed from that.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next  [ 406 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply