LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 28 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Pedro Strop

Offline  Pedro Strop

Posted: January 20, 2020, 1:06 PM Post
Sounds like the Brewers may have an offer on the table for Strop. Pretty good bounceback candidate. Worst case scenario should be a back end of the pen guy, best case he rebounds into a late inning option. He was remarkably consistent from '14 to '18.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/01/ ... ngers.html

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Pedro Strop

Posted: January 20, 2020, 1:43 PM Post
adambr2 said:
Sounds like the Brewers may have an offer on the table for Strop. Pretty good bounceback candidate. Worst case scenario should be a back end of the pen guy, best case he rebounds into a late inning option. He was remarkably consistent from '14 to '18.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/01/ ... ngers.html

swing and miss stuff, but honestly I think he'd walk more than he'd strike out if hitters just stood there and didn't swing. It'd have to be a 1-yr deal around $3M for me to be thrilled to see him with the Brewers, which is probably not rich enough for him to sign here if there are multiple offers.

I do know Stearns loves himself pitchers with a good slider...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 20, 2020, 1:51 PM Post
He's been solid, but I don't know if I could get used to that cock-eyed flat-brimmed hat. (half blue)

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 20, 2020, 2:00 PM Post
I never liked Strop as a cub, but he could be a big help in the Crew's pen if healthy. I am wondering about McHugh. Has anyone heard anything about his health? It seems like he should have been signed by now with all the teams looking for pen help.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 20, 2020, 2:03 PM Post
wntrtxn21 said:
I never liked Strop as a cub, but he could be a big help in the Crew's pen if healthy. I am wondering about McHugh. Has anyone heard anything about his health? It seems like he should have been signed by now with all the teams looking for pen help.

Not much out there on McHugh, other than the fact that Abraham Toro switched his number from #13 to #31. That would seem to indicate that McHugh staying with the Astros isn't in the cards.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 20, 2020, 3:00 PM Post
The Brewers seem to be counting on a lot of "bounce back candidates" bouncing back this coming season...

"Don't force him to choose between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. It's like asking someone to choose between which STD to contract!"

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 20, 2020, 3:11 PM Post
anglotiger said:
The Brewers seem to be counting on a lot of "bounce back candidates" bouncing back this coming season...

Curse of a small market team in today's MLB economic landscape. I personally would rather have a team with a bunch of bounce-back candidates than one with a bunch of guys that have nothing to bounce back to.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 20, 2020, 3:23 PM Post
Ron Robinson's Beard said:
anglotiger said:

Curse of a small market team in today's MLB economic landscape. I personally would rather have a team with a bunch of bounce-back candidates than one with a bunch of guys that have nothing to bounce back to.

I am not disagreeing with you. It just feels like half of the roster could be described that way, which is funny when you're talking about a playoff team from the prior year...

"Don't force him to choose between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. It's like asking someone to choose between which STD to contract!"

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 20, 2020, 3:28 PM Post
He's been solid, but I don't know if I could get used to that cock-eyed flat-brimmed hat. (half blue)

THIS.

I can't stand that guy.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 20, 2020, 3:34 PM Post
turborickey said:

THIS.

I can't stand that guy.

You "can't stand" a guy you've never met because of how he wears a baseball hat?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 20, 2020, 3:34 PM Post
anglotiger said:
anglotiger said:

I am not disagreeing with you. It just feels like half of the roster could be described that way, which is funny when you're talking about a playoff team from the prior year...

This year's roster reminds me of what we were looking at in 2018. A bunch of bounce-back guys and question marks. And really, what they are doing this year roster construction-wise is what they traditionally do. Value signings. Sometimes it seems like getting Grandal and Moose last year, and Cain the year before was the worst thing that could have happened to this fanbase, because now they expect moves like that every year. That's simply not going to happen.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 20, 2020, 4:21 PM Post
Sigh, it's just a hat and there is a reasonable story behind it.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 20, 2020, 4:46 PM Post
wallus said:
Sigh, it's just a hat and there is a reasonable story behind it.

I believe C.C. Sabathia and Mike Cameron once wore their caps off-center. An image search showed C.C. in a Brewers uniform wearing his hat off-center. I couldn't find an example of Cameron in a Brewers cap doing so but saw him in a Marlins cap with it off-center. Strop and Fernando Rodney are probably the two guys that wear it that way in the most extreme way possible though.

I agree, it's just a cap. It's a little jarring but it all comes down to performance.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 20, 2020, 4:53 PM Post
https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/05/18 ... ooked-hat/

He actually seems like a pretty jovial guy. Plus, I'm sure the Cardinals hate it, so sign me up!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 20, 2020, 6:21 PM Post
brooks_quichenick said:
turborickey said:

THIS.

I can't stand that guy.

You "can't stand" a guy you've never met because of how he wears a baseball hat?

Ummmm, of course I don't mean in the literal sense.

Are you saying that you never say you don't like a guy, or hate a specific player, knowing you have never met them personally?

Geez.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 21, 2020, 1:09 AM Post
I would love to add Strop as a late inning pen option. Our bullpen really is lacking veteran talent so bringing in a guy like Strop to pair with Hader, Suter, Knebel (at some point?), and Claudio among others, would be a very solid addition. With having the other 3-4 spots up for grabs, having a few established guys out there with great late inning stuff that could give us a possible 4 headed monster down the stretch in 2020 would be awesome.

If we signed Strop and added another solid arm like McHugh, Kintzler, etc., I will feel very good about our pen.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 21, 2020, 11:21 AM Post
Global Moderator
Could be a high-end guy who we'd get for a discount due to injury/performance issues in 2019. Might be a really good pick-up for the Brewers.

Stearns seems to be building a core of longer-term players and filling in the rest of the team with short-term guys who have proven to be MLB players who he can get for a reasonable price on a short-term deal. Add long-term pieces when you can (Urias, Narvaez) to add to the core, and don't get tied up in long-term deals with guys who aren't part of the core. Strop could very well be a guy who had some injury issues last year and wants a one-year "build up your value" contract so he can get a long-term deal next offseason. Like Moose and Grandal, I'd be happy if we can get guys for a discount for one-year and see them sign a monster deal next year because they performed well.

As long as we keep a solid core in place, I like taking the risk on guys like Strop.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 21, 2020, 11:43 AM Post
Strop sure looked like he was done last year. Maddon kept giving him chances last year and he never settled in. Velocity has waned and his command isn't what it was.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 21, 2020, 11:46 AM Post
JohnBriggs12 said:
Strop sure looked like he was done last year. Maddon kept giving him chances last year and he never settled in. Velocity has waned and his command isn't what it was.

Yeah, he was one of the guys I was hoping we'd see every time we played the Cubs. Just a gas can.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 21, 2020, 5:17 PM Post
Strop was really good from 2013 to 2018.

In 2019 he completely fell off a cliff.

At 34, I think chances are he's done. Really hope the offer is not a major league deal.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 28 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply