LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 60 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Ross Stripling

Offline  Re: Ross Stripling

Posted: February 10, 2020, 1:16 PM Post
I would feel much better with our lineup and rotation if Stearns pulls off this trade.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 10, 2020, 1:36 PM Post
Count me in

3 year splits as SP:

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 10, 2020, 1:53 PM Post
What would need to trade in order for something like this to come to fruition?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 10, 2020, 2:53 PM Post
jerichoholicninja said:
Doesn't Gamel has an option left? It doesn't seem like having both him and Pederson on the bench makes sense as they'd essentially be the same player, except Joc has shown he could be a very useful hitter.

I'd like to get Ross and Joc though. Figure out what to do with Gamel after that.

Indeed. If you're unsure because of Gamel, then you're probably rating Gamel far too highly...

As always, the cost would be the issue. I wouldn't imagine it would be too painful, considering they (apparently) feel a need to shed salary.

"Don't force him to choose between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. It's like asking someone to choose between which STD to contract!"

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 10, 2020, 2:53 PM Post
Vollbc74 said:
Based on 700 PA per position:

LF - Garcia (350), Braun (250), Pederson (100)
CF - Cain (500), Pederson (200)
RF - Yelich (600), Garcia (100)
1B - Smoak (400), Braun (200), Pederson (100)

Yelich - 600
Cain - 500
Braun - 450
Garcia - 450
Smoak - 400
Pederson - 400

If we get on the load management train this looks pretty sharp. Since CC thinks all 13 bats are starters this could help him actually play guys who should start. Joc would be a lot of Cain Braun Smoak insurance.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 10, 2020, 3:25 PM Post
brewtank34 said:

Despite the solid showing at the majors the guy LAD got from the Angels was never really highly regarded. He did well but he wasn't fawned over by "scouts." Eduardo Garcia probably gets it pretty close depending on who ranks him. Carlos Rodriguez seems to be the guy who is rated equal to him throughout.

It's really hard to rate our system because MKE has a lot of guys with a lot of upside who are a long way away and places have them all over the map in the MKE farm rankings.

Last edited by TJseven7 on February 10, 2020, 3:31 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 10, 2020, 3:25 PM Post
I want to get my hands on both of these guys but when I look at the numbers, isn't Joc just a really expensive Eric Thames at a position that isn't a need?

Eric Thames 2017 - 2019: 1112 ABs, 72 HR, 161 RBI, .241/.343/.848, 118 OPS+
Joc Pederson 2017 - 2019: 1118 ABs, 72 HR, 165 RBI, .240/.331/.831, 119 OPS+

I would take Joc if it meant getting Stripling for the rotation, but dang if Joc isn't a Thames clone!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 10, 2020, 3:31 PM Post
Global Moderator
TJseven7 said:
brewtank34 said:

Despite the solid showing at the majors the guy LAD got from the Angels was never really highly regarded. He did well but he wasn't fawned over by "scouts." Eduardo Garcia probably gets it pretty close.

Yeah, kinda depends on what LAD is looking for. Do they specifically desire a MLB ready 2B/utility contact/speed prospect (Rengifo's profile), or do they just want a prospect in the 45 FV range (where FanGraphs had Rengifo graded prior to 2019)?

If it is the former, we don't really have anything like that, if it is the latter, a possible deal is a lot more plausible.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 10, 2020, 3:37 PM Post
Warning Track Power said:
I want to get my hands on both of these guys but when I look at the numbers, isn't Joc just a really expensive Eric Thames at a position that isn't a need?

Eric Thames 2017 - 2019: 1112 ABs, 72 HR, 161 RBI, .241/.343/.848, 118 OPS+
Joc Pederson 2017 - 2019: 1118 ABs, 72 HR, 165 RBI, .240/.331/.831, 119 OPS+

I would take Joc if it meant getting Stripling for the rotation, but dang if Joc isn't a Thames clone!

One could play a passable 1b and a passable RF.
One is good in LF (I mean our best defensive LF good, by far, including the prior LF GG), passable in RF and sufferable at CF and 1b.

I'd say the 2 added fielding spots makes him worth being an expensive Thames. I don't want us to trade for him. I want us to get something for taking him. Like a discount on Stripling or a lottery ticket tossed in.

I mean if Thames could spell Cain without getting embarrassed, that makes Thames an entirely different player.

The other question though... why did LAA back out. Who is hurt?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 11, 2020, 11:28 AM Post
Global Moderator
brewcrewdue80 said:
I would be very interested in acquiring Pederson and Stripling. Who is the Brewers equivalent of Luis Rengifo? https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/rengilu01.shtml

Luis Urias would be about the closest I can see in comparison to age, levels reached and MLB experience. After that no one is even close. ...

If it takes Urias to get these two, you're looking at the Medical issues and waiting in to the season? So let's turn this all upside down and bring the trade idea around to Hader for these 2 plus.

Thankfully, talent is more important than age, levels reached, and MLB experience. Rengifro and Urias are not at all comparable talent-wise. Rengifro is likely a guy who will have value as long as he's inexpensive, while Urias is one of the highest-rated prospects in the game, so Urias would not even be in the discussions in this trade.

If the Dodgers wanted someone for the 26-man, it would probably take Houser or Peralta as we don't have position players who match Rengifro's value. If they are looking at minor leaguers, it'd be more like Feliciano, Eduardo Garcia, or Carlos Rodriguez with some other pieces thrown in to even things out.

The Dodgers seem to be trying to cut payroll to below the "cap" level while trimming the 40-man. If they are willing to take less value back in order to reach these goals, as it appear from the proposed Angels deal, then that sounds like a value deal right up Stearns' alley.

A big question is the Brewers' financial/budget situation. Did the Brewers go into the offseason with a goal of cutting payroll to the current level, or did it just occur with the "value deals" available? If they felt the need to cut to the current level, would Attanasio be willing to add just under $10M to this year's payroll to make this deal happen? He's been willing to go over budget in the past for what he thought were meaningful upgrades to the team, so would this return be meaningful enough for him to spend the money?

Disregarding money, this seems like a steal. If you can make it budget-wise, make the deal and let the playing-time questions sort themselves out. As others have said, other than Yelich, Hiura, and probably Urias when he's healthy, no one on the roster should be guaranteed "everyday player" status.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 11, 2020, 1:29 PM Post
Considering what the small market Reds payroll is going into this season, the Brewers should have plenty of room to make this deal. Sure the Reds have a significantly larger television market when you include places like Louisville and Indianapolis but Brewers have outdrawn the Reds by substantial margins in recent years. It's not like they'd be taking on contracts that will hinder them down the road.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 11, 2020, 1:40 PM Post
Global Moderator
JohnBriggs12 said:
Considering what the small market Reds payroll is going into this season, the Brewers should have plenty of room to make this deal. Sure the Reds have a significantly larger television market when you include places like Louisville and Indianapolis but Brewers have outdrawn the Reds by substantial margins in recent years. It's not like they'd be taking on contracts that will hinder them down the road.

That's possible, but it's never safe to assume anything. There are a lot of people who drive fancy cars and live in big houses that end up in bankruptcy.

I didn't like it when Attanasio used to interfere in baseball decisions, signing a slew of over-the-hill pitchers, but I've never doubted his mind for money. He seems to have realized that he hired the GM to make the baseball decisions, so if the Brewers do make a move for Stripling/Pederson, I will assume that Stearns thinks it will really help the team on the field and Attanasio feels it will not hurt them financially.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 11, 2020, 2:52 PM Post
Has there been a credible rumor that has Joc and Striping coming to Milwaukee? Lots of discussion based on nothing if not...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 11, 2020, 3:02 PM Post
Global Moderator
turborickey said:
Has there been a credible rumor that has Joc and Striping coming to Milwaukee? Lots of discussion based on nothing if not...

No rumor, it just looks like the Dodgers are trying to cut some payroll and need to trim some 40-man space. If they're going to give away talent to make that happen, it might be nice if the Brewers could benefit.

Really, it's probably nothing more than something to fill the dead air until we start hearing news out of spring training :-)

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 11, 2020, 5:07 PM Post
turborickey said:

No, but it sure does make a lot of sense to me if the Dodgers are looking to cut payroll.

Obviously they are interested in moving Pederson. Their OF should be set with Betts, Bellinger and Pollock. Utility players Chris Taylor has a 2 year $13.4 million deal and Kike Hernandez has 1 year at $5.9 million. Pederson makes $7.75m and Stripling makes $2.1m for a total of $9.85m. I wonder if they would take Gamel at $1.4m, the $8.45m of savings and maybe a low level prospect to complete a deal? Thought being they let Taylor be the utility IF and either move Kike or let him walk after the season and replace him with Gamel.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 11, 2020, 6:37 PM Post
turborickey said:

As everyone is saying, no.

However, we do actually know Joc and Stripling are on the block. That's plenty to know and I really hope MKE is involved. Stripling would be a heck of a get for our questionable rotation. Even if Anderson and Stripling can split a season and hit their usual numbers. That would be the 2 we are looking for. Takes a lot of pressure off Lauer Lindblom and Houser.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Ross Stripling

Posted: February 11, 2020, 10:20 PM Post
monty57 said:
brewcrewdue80 said:
I would be very interested in acquiring Pederson and Stripling. Who is the Brewers equivalent of Luis Rengifo? https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/rengilu01.shtml

Luis Urias would be about the closest I can see in comparison to age, levels reached and MLB experience. After that no one is even close. ...

If it takes Urias to get these two, you're looking at the Medical issues and waiting in to the season? So let's turn this all upside down and bring the trade idea around to Hader for these 2 plus.

Thankfully, talent is more important than age, levels reached, and MLB experience. Rengifro and Urias are not at all comparable talent-wise. Rengifro is likely a guy who will have value as long as he's inexpensive, while Urias is one of the highest-rated prospects in the game, so Urias would not even be in the discussions in this trade.

If the Dodgers wanted someone for the 26-man, it would probably take Houser or Peralta as we don't have position players who match Rengifro's value. If they are looking at minor leaguers, it'd be more like Feliciano, Eduardo Garcia, or Carlos Rodriguez with some other pieces thrown in to even things out.

The Dodgers seem to be trying to cut payroll to below the "cap" level while trimming the 40-man. If they are willing to take less value back in order to reach these goals, as it appear from the proposed Angels deal, then that sounds like a value deal right up Stearns' alley.

A big question is the Brewers' financial/budget situation. Did the Brewers go into the offseason with a goal of cutting payroll to the current level, or did it just occur with the "value deals" available? If they felt the need to cut to the current level, would Attanasio be willing to add just under $10M to this year's payroll to make this deal happen? He's been willing to go over budget in the past for what he thought were meaningful upgrades to the team, so would this return be meaningful enough for him to spend the money?

Disregarding money, this seems like a steal. If you can make it budget-wise, make the deal and let the playing-time questions sort themselves out. As others have said, other than Yelich, Hiura, and probably Urias when he's healthy, no one on the roster should be guaranteed "everyday player" status.

I mean when comparing the two it is as similar as it gets. Age. Height weight position played. Urias has more games played in the minors. .830OPs to .765OPS career. But arguably Rengifro had a better rookie season. Statcast has both 86.7MPH exit velocity. Urias 1% less ks. But less barrels/hard hit balls but overall Id say within 5% of being identical statcast batters. Maybe defense or ability at SS gives him the better rankings. Maybe the rush up by Angels never led to Rengrifo getting prospect hype? Urias is the closest in value to him facts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 11, 2020, 11:41 PM Post
If that's the case then LAD was completely ripping off LAA. They were winning the value of the trade despite the cash dump they worked in.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 12, 2020, 8:24 AM Post
Since Stearns has focused on upgrading the roster 1-26 this offseason he should be all over a trade involving Stripling and Pederson. Stripling adds more depth and upside to the rotation/bullpen (depending on where he’s placed) and Pederson is a significant upgrade over Gamel who can start the season in AAA.

Like others I’m not sure what the motive is from the Dodgers perspective but I’m guessing it’s not just a straight salary dump but a way to add some more prospects to an already loaded farm system. I’m curious if a package of Lutz and Rasmussen would get it done. Neither need to be added to the 40 man roster. If this isn’t an issue I could see them being interested in guys like Wahl, Black and Feyereisen instead of Rasmussen.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 12, 2020, 9:19 AM Post
Global Moderator
brewcrewdue80 said:
I mean when comparing the two it is as similar as it gets. Age. Height weight position played. Urias has more games played in the minors. .830OPs to .765OPS career. But arguably Rengifro had a better rookie season. Statcast has both 86.7MPH exit velocity. Urias 1% less ks. But less barrels/hard hit balls but overall Id say within 5% of being identical statcast batters. Maybe defense or ability at SS gives him the better rankings. Maybe the rush up by Angels never led to Rengrifo getting prospect hype? Urias is the closest in value to him facts.

Urias had a slow start to his MLB career, I'll give you that, but he had a far superior minor league career, and was ranked the #31 prospect in all of baseball by BA and #16 by MLB.com, while Rengifo was the Angels #10 rated prospect. I don't believe he made any "top 100" lists, but I'm not a BA subscriber, so please correct me if I'm wrong. That .830 OPS vs .765 OPS over thousands of PA is significant.

Prospects do fail, and not every MLB player was a top-ranked prospect, but at this point in time, I don't think they're comparable value-wise unless you put a much heavier weighting on Urias' 302 MLB PA than his thousands of MiLB PA. Rengifo didn't have a good rookie year either, with 406 PA, .238 avg / .321 OBP / .364 SLG / .685 OPS, so it's not like he had a breakout campaign that shot his value up.

Urias is a top prospect who struggled in his first taste of the majors. Rengifo is a young guy with some minor league success who will be given a shot to prove himself as long as he's playing at league minimum.

Most people here were happy that we were able to get Urias for Grisham. I'd guess that people would have been upset if we had traded Grisham for Rengifo.

~Bill Walsh

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 60 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply