LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 60 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Ross Stripling

Offline  Re: Ross Stripling

Posted: February 12, 2020, 10:40 AM Post
turborickey said:
Has there been a credible rumor that has Joc and Striping coming to Milwaukee? Lots of discussion based on nothing if not...

I haven't seen any, but it's fun to discuss. We've talked about potential trades that make way less sense than this. Look no further than the Kris Bryant thread.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 12, 2020, 11:15 AM Post
Where in a heck is Joc Pederson playing? He would have been a nice target pre-Garcia...but not really now. He cannot play a goof CFer so I don't see him all that useful.

Stripling? Yah, I wouldn't mind that. I think he is a pretty good player...somewhat underrated.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 12, 2020, 12:02 PM Post
MrTPlush said:
Where in a heck is Joc Pederson playing? He would have been a nice target pre-Garcia...but not really now. He cannot play a goof CFer so I don't see him all that useful.

Stripling? Yah, I wouldn't mind that. I think he is a pretty good player...somewhat underrated.

I tend to agree on Pederson, but I also think he'd be a lot better in CF than Garcia. Miller Park is a smaller CF than Dodgers Stadium and he's played some CF for them. But again I agree, once we got Garcia this simply didn't make sense...unless of course he can play SS or 3B and nobody knows it.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 12, 2020, 12:38 PM Post
monty57 said:
Urias had a slow start to his MLB career, I'll give you that, but he had a far superior minor league career, and was ranked the #31 prospect in all of baseball by BA and #16 by MLB.com, while Rengifo was the Angels #10 rated prospect. I don't believe he made any "top 100" lists, but I'm not a BA subscriber, so please correct me if I'm wrong. That .830 OPS vs .765 OPS over thousands of PA is significant.

Prospects do fail, and not every MLB player was a top-ranked prospect, but at this point in time, I don't think they're comparable value-wise unless you put a much heavier weighting on Urias' 302 MLB PA than his thousands of MiLB PA. Rengifo didn't have a good rookie year either, with 406 PA, .238 avg / .321 OBP / .364 SLG / .685 OPS, so it's not like he had a breakout campaign that shot his value up.

Urias is a top prospect who struggled in his first taste of the majors. Rengifo is a young guy with some minor league success who will be given a shot to prove himself as long as he's playing at league minimum.

Most people here were happy that we were able to get Urias for Grisham. I'd guess that people would have been upset if we had traded Grisham for Rengifo.

I see Urias as having had time and experience to garner the prospect rating, he had results to. Just take this bit for granted. 2018 he was MLB's #27 prospect at least from midseason and beyond. The writeup:
Scouting grades: Hit: 70 | Power: 45 | Run: 50 | Arm: 55 | Field: 60 | Overall: 55

Signed out of the Mexican League in December 2013, Urias has since developed into one of the more accomplished hitters in the Minor Leagues. The California League's youngest everyday player on Opening Day in 2016, Urias went on to win the circuit's batting title and MVP award at age 19, and then garnered Double-A Texas League All-Star honors in 2017 before a standout turn in the prestigious Arizona Fall League.
Urias stands out as much for his approach and plate discipline as he does for his pure hitting ability. He has an advanced knowledge of the strike zone as well as excellent pitch recognition, a combination that netted him the Texas League's top on-base percentage (.398) in 2017, and has resulted in more walks (153) than strikeouts (135) in four professional seasons. Urias' bat-to-ball skills are impressive, and he produces hard line drives across the entire field with a compact, level swing. His raw power, meanwhile, is better than his numbers suggest, though Urias' should be a consistent source of extra-base hits thanks to his knack for pounding the gaps. Urias has solid arm strength and can get the job done at shortstop, but he offers more upside at second base, where he's a plus defender and has spent the bulk of his pro career.
Urias proved plenty capable at shortstop in 2017, first in Double-A and then in the Arizona Fall League, and should continue to see some time there moving forward. His ultimate defensive home, however, is likely second base, where he profiles as an above-average defender with good range and arm strength. Overall, Urias has the ingredients to hit atop a lineup while manning a middle-infield position for a long, long time.

He played all 120 games that season at AAA
.296/.398/.447/.845 batting line. 67/109 BB/Ks in 450ABs.

Rengifo in 2018 had this writeup for the Angels as their #10 prospect:
Scouting grades: Hit: 50 | Power: 35 | Run: 55 | Arm: 55 | Field: 55 | Overall: 45

Rengifo originally signed with the Mariners in March 2014 as the Venezuelan showed improvement on both sides of the ball as an amateur. He spent his first two summers in Venezuela and the Dominican Republic before making his United States debut in the rookie-level Arizona League in 2016, then jumped to full-season ball in 2017. The Rays got him from the Mariners in August of that season, but his time with Tampa was short-lived as he was shipped to the Angels in March to complete the C.J. Cron trade.
The switch-hitting Rengifo has a short, compact swing from both sides of the plate, with feel for the barrel that enables him to produce consistent contact. He shows some pop from the left side of the plate, albeit mostly to the gaps, but offers little in the way of power as a righty, with very good plate discipline allowing his hit tool to play up. Rengifo's above-average speed makes him a threat on the basepaths, and he's improved his basestealing efficiency to maximize that tool.
Defensively, Rengifo has already played a number of positions, mostly in the middle infield, though he has seen time at third and even in the outfield. He has the range, quickness and arm for the left side of the infield and the Angels had him playing shortstop during his first season in the organization, though his versatility could come in handy in the future

Now Rengifo started 2018 at A+ ball for 41 games: .323/.426/.466/.892 27/22 BB/Ks in 161AB
Followed with AA promotion for 40 games: 305/.420/.477/.897 23/22 BB/Ks in 151AB
Followed with AAA promotion for 46games: .274/.358/.421/.779 25/31 BB/Ks in 190AB.

2019 season Rengifo had 27starts in AAA and was promoted to the Angels rookie team for the season. That is less than 120 starts combined for Rengifo in AA and AAA than Urias just in 2018 alone at AAA. Urias went on for 73more games in 2019 at AAA(no doubt for a Super 2 clock stoppage) He should be well prepared. He has 540 games played in the minors compared to 437(124 at Foreign Rookie) I think if Rengifo completed a full season in 2019 at AAA his real value as a prospect would be known.
Super rushed vs. long term experience at the upper levels. but overall result for rookie 2019=similar. Age, Experience, MLB Results = clone at the moment. We'll see how this grades out over time, and it will likely be right that Urias turns out the better overall player. It seems amazing that we got him And Lauer for Davies and Grisham. 70grade hitting they had Urias in 2018. Please turn true. Certainly not via Statcast last season.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 12, 2020, 1:25 PM Post
MrTPlush said:

I think this all depends on Braun and whether he gets the majority of his playing time at 1B or OF. If Braun plays a majority of the time at 1B, Joc Pederson as the 4th OF getting two starts a week against RHP and providing days off to Cain, wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Much better than giving those starts to Mat Gamel.

If taking Pederson and figuring out the roster crunch got the Brewers Stripling I think it's worth it.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 12, 2020, 1:27 PM Post
I have a hard time believing that the Brewers would not be interested in a Pederson/Stripling trade. This is one of those moves I feel like Mark would have no issue with and knows that getting those two guys would be a pretty significant upgrade to the roster.

Whether the Dodgers have much interest in what we have to offer, we shall see. But I definitely think that Stearns is looking into this.

There will be plenty of at bats to go around. I think the playing time dilemma here is way overstated. Having one of Braun, Garcia, Cain, Pederson, and even Yelich on the bench to come in later in games in a big situation or when a reliever is required to face 3 batters and can’t be pulled, is definitely not a bad thing to have. Cain, Braun, and Yelich will all have 15+ days off during the season. With Braun more around the 50 mark. Pederson could easily fit on this roster and get 400+ at bats even with Garcia on the roster. Injuries are inevitable as well where we should be happy to have someone like Garcia and Pederson to get significant time instead of guys like Perez, Saladino, and Gamel.

I’ve seen people in the past also mention using the 26th roster spot on a 3rd catcher so we can use Pina to pinch hit sometimes. Which do you prefer. Pina pinch hitting and needing to use a roster spot on Freitas as a third catcher or Pederson/Braun/Garcia as a pinch hitter and not wasting a third spot on a catcher? Not saying this is what most people want. Just that it was mentioned by some earlier in the offseason.

I would rather have a great bat or two off the bench every day than guys struggling to hit the Mendoza line like we’ve been accustomed to recently.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 12, 2020, 2:55 PM Post
RollieTime said:
I have a hard time believing that the Brewers would not be interested in a Pederson/Stripling trade. This is one of those moves I feel like Mark would have no issue with and knows that getting those two guys would be a pretty significant upgrade to the roster.

Whether the Dodgers have much interest in what we have to offer, we shall see. But I definitely think that Stearns is looking into this.

There will be plenty of at bats to go around. I think the playing time dilemma here is way overstated. Having one of Braun, Garcia, Cain, Pederson, and even Yelich on the bench to come in later in games in a big situation or when a reliever is required to face 3 batters and can’t be pulled, is definitely not a bad thing to have. Cain, Braun, and Yelich will all have 15+ days off during the season. With Braun more around the 50 mark. Pederson could easily fit on this roster and get 400+ at bats even with Garcia on the roster. Injuries are inevitable as well where we should be happy to have someone like Garcia and Pederson to get significant time instead of guys like Perez, Saladino, and Gamel.

I’ve seen people in the past also mention using the 26th roster spot on a 3rd catcher so we can use Pina to pinch hit sometimes. Which do you prefer. Pina pinch hitting and needing to use a roster spot on Freitas as a third catcher or Pederson/Braun/Garcia as a pinch hitter and not wasting a third spot on a catcher? Not saying this is what most people want. Just that it was mentioned by some earlier in the offseason.

I would rather have a great bat or two off the bench every day than guys struggling to hit the Mendoza line like we’ve been accustomed to recently.

Completely agree and all of this focuses only on the Joc Pederson side of the trade without even mentioning the benefit of adding Ross Stripling to the rotation. While already 30, Stripling he of the career 3.51 ERA/3.60 FIP in 387 IP, isn't a free agent until after the 2022 season. Adding that arm would certainly create even more depth and certainty into the rotation.

These pieces make too much sense to not look at acquiring, even Pederson, despite Yelich, Cain and Avisail signed for the next three seasons.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 12, 2020, 3:48 PM Post
Warning Track Power said:
RollieTime said:

Completely agree and all of this focuses only on the Joc Pederson side of the trade without even mentioning the benefit of adding Ross Stripling to the rotation. While already 30, Stripling he of the career 3.51 ERA/3.60 FIP in 387 IP, isn't a free agent until after the 2022 season. Adding that arm would certainly create even more depth and certainty into the rotation.

These pieces make too much sense to not look at acquiring, even Pederson, despite Yelich, Cain and Avisail signed for the next three seasons.

I believe if Stearns wanted a lefty bat like Pederson at $7.7M he would have kept Thames and not paid the $5M for Smoak. IF he could get Stripling with 3 years of control but had to take the one year of Pederson to make the deal, he'd do it in a heart beat. Especially if the Dodgers were doing it as a salary dump and the prospect return would be relatively light.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 12, 2020, 4:32 PM Post
wntrtxn21 said:
I believe if Stearns wanted a lefty bat like Pederson at $7.7M he would have kept Thames and not paid the $5M for Smoak. IF he could get Stripling with 3 years of control but had to take the one year of Pederson to make the deal, he'd do it in a heart beat. Especially if the Dodgers were doing it as a salary dump and the prospect return would be relatively light.

I hope I am wrong here but I think this will prove to be the biggest waste of money of the offseason. Smoak for 1 year $5m deal and a $1m 2021 buyout is pretty meh when the Brewers could have gotten by with Braun and some backup combination of Healy ($1m) and Logan Morrison (MiLB deal).

I would hope that Smoak's presence wouldn't preclude the Brewers from taking a look at Pederson especially if it meant Stripling was coming as well.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 12, 2020, 6:14 PM Post
Warning Track Power said:
wntrtxn21 said:

I hope I am wrong here but I think this will prove to be the biggest waste of money of the offseason. Smoak for 1 year $5m deal and a $1m 2021 buyout is pretty meh when the Brewers could have gotten by with Braun and some backup combination of Healy ($1m) and Logan Morrison (MiLB deal).

I would hope that Smoak's presence wouldn't preclude the Brewers from taking a look at Pederson especially if it meant Stripling was coming as well.

$5 million on Smoak is not a bad gamble for a guy who in 2017 was an All Star and posted an OPS just a shade under .900 and has been playing in the tough AL East. It's not an amount that forces them to play him every day but he's one of those guys you can ride if he gets hot. Adding a guy like Pederson would give them a roster full of hitters that when hot, are very dangerous hitters. Then it's up to Counsell to ride the hot bats while not allowing the cooler bats to sit too long.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 12, 2020, 8:26 PM Post
Global Moderator
One note for those trying to figure out a comp for Luis Rengifo, just a reminder that the Dodgers were reportedly set to give up not only Pederson and Stripling, but also a very good young prospect in outfielder Andy Pages.

The Angels were set to give up Rengifo and reports varied between 1-2 other unnamed prospects. There is no way the other prospect(s) included Jo Adell, and they probably didn’t include Brandon Marsh either, and beyond them the Angels system is somewhat comparable to the Brewers system without a lot of perceived high ceiling talent. It obviously depends more on the Dodgers evaluation of the players involved than prospect rankings, but I certainly don’t think it is impossible to envision a scenario where the Brewers could similarly match up with the Dodgers.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 13, 2020, 12:51 PM Post
When the Angels grabbed Rendon, it bumped La Stella and Fletcher off of 3B and therefore cut into Rengifo's ABs more than anyone. Having Rendon and Andrelton Simmons locking down the left side SEVERELY cut into the at bats that Rengifo would have otherwise had this year. He's one of those players that has solid value to a team that is only one player deep at the keystone, but far less value to the Angels. Withouth their depth chart looking the way it does, I can't imagine the Angels would have considered this trade.

Alternate theory, one Angels infielder is hurt or way out of shape, so the Angels backed out of the trade.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 13, 2020, 3:16 PM Post
JCREW said:
When the Angels grabbed Rendon, it bumped La Stella and Fletcher off of 3B and therefore cut into Rengifo's ABs more than anyone. Having Rendon and Andrelton Simmons locking down the left side SEVERELY cut into the at bats that Rengifo would have otherwise had this year. He's one of those players that has solid value to a team that is only one player deep at the keystone, but far less value to the Angels. Withouth their depth chart looking the way it does, I can't imagine the Angels would have considered this trade.

Alternate theory, one Angels infielder is hurt or way out of shape, so the Angels backed out of the trade.

From what I'm reading, the Angels plan to have Fletcher start at 2B and backup at SS. LaStella will backup 2B and 3B with Rengifo being a utility type guy. Pretty solid infield with good depth.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 13, 2020, 7:08 PM Post
wntrtxn21 said:
From what I'm reading, the Angels plan to have Fletcher start at 2B and backup at SS. LaStella will backup 2B and 3B with Rengifo being a utility type guy. Pretty solid infield with good depth.

No disagreement at all. I’m just saying that if I could turn my utility infielder into Ross Stripling, I’d do it. So the Angels pulling out of the trade seems like it might be more than just hurt feelings.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 01, 2020, 11:03 AM Post
Brewers get:
RHP-Ross Stripling (from Dodgers)
RHP-Ty Buttery (from Angels)
OF-Andy Pages (from Dodgers)

Dodgers get:
IF-Luis Rengifo (from Angels)
OF-Tristen Lutz (from Brewers)

Angels get:
LHP-Eric Lauer (from Brewers)
IF-Eduardo Garcia (from Brewers)

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 01, 2020, 6:44 PM Post
JosephC said:
Brewers get:

Dodgers get:

Angels get:

I can't imagine the Dodgers would want another OF or INF in place of a pitcher. They are loaded with talent in their OF and have so many talented infielders already. Rengifo wouldn't even come close to making their 26 man roster. It could be argued that Pages is a better prospect than Lutz. I'm not so sure the Angels make out on the deal either. The Brewers would do it in a split second. They come out way ahead of the other two teams.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 02, 2020, 1:45 AM Post
wntrtxn21 said:
JosephC said:
Brewers get:

Dodgers get:

Angels get:

I can't imagine the Dodgers would want another OF or INF in place of a pitcher. They are loaded with talent in their OF and have so many talented infielders already. Rengifo wouldn't even come close to making their 26 man roster. It could be argued that Pages is a better prospect than Lutz. I'm not so sure the Angels make out on the deal either. The Brewers would do it in a split second. They come out way ahead of the other two teams.

The Angels completely take this trade in an instant. Brewers 2nd. Dodgers have to be scratching their head what did we just do?
Angels getting a legit SP(vs Stripling), and and Inf that is basically 3 years behind what they are giving up now all for a RP and a utility inf with less upside.
Brewers get a fit after these Spring Training games of a Swingman, a backend RP, and a superb looking international signing prospect closer to the ML team at a need 3 years from now.
Dodgers, get an Infielder to backup/start, and an OF prospect that may be a AAAA type or 4th OF.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 02, 2020, 2:51 PM Post
Here are the Dodgers infielders: Muncy (1B-2B-3B) - Seager (SS) - Lux (SS-2B) - Turner (1B-2B) - Beaty (1B-3B-OF) - Hernndez (2B-SS-3B-OF), Rengifo wouldn't replace any of them. Plus they have Taylor currently listed as an OF, but he too can play 2 infield positions. They are 5-6 deep in the outfield and probably wouldn't get rid of Pages for Lutz anyway.

I questioned the Angels getting rid of their set-up guy plus a 23 yr. old proven MLB player for a questionable starter and a 17 yr old kid who is 4-5 years away. I grant you their starting rotation is poor, but does Lauer make a difference? Many are questioning if he will be starting for the Brewers or if he is better suited for the pen.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 03, 2020, 8:14 AM Post
You'd think that Rengifo doesn't make a ton of sense, but obviously the Dodgers disagree. They were, after all, about to send Stripling and Pederson to the Angels in exchange for, among others, Rengifo. So trading Stripling for an infielder is clearly something they're fine with.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 03, 2020, 3:18 PM Post
Global Moderator
Lathund said:
You'd think that Rengifo doesn't make a ton of sense, but obviously the Dodgers disagree. They were, after all, about to send Stripling and Pederson to the Angels in exchange for, among others, Rengifo. So trading Stripling for an infielder is clearly something they're fine with.

I just think they were trying to get under the luxury tax level and were happy to get something back. This doesn't mean that they thought Rengifo was equal in value to what they were giving up, or that he was someone they were really going after, just that the move would cut the payroll enough to get them below the luxury tax.

I believe that if the Brewers (or most other teams) are willing to pick up the extra salary, they could work a deal with the Dodgers where they would get more talent than they are giving up.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 60 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply