LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 43 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Hader/Yelich Day of Reckoning

Offline  Re: Hader/Yelich Day of Reckoning

Posted: March 04, 2020, 10:34 PM Post
TJseven7 said:
KCBrewerfan34 said:

Not if we could get a haul for him. Our minor league system is the WORST baseball. Our market size does not continue to compete with that kind of a business model. The drafter better pick it up or its time to move on or a strategy switch.

This farm can stay the worst in baseball if it keeps churning out MLB talent.

Last year it kicked Hiura Grisham Houser into the majors for good. Last year they were in the bottom 3 preseason. Pretty sure there are some top 27 teams who didn't graduate that much to the majors.

I remember somewhere on here that its been the Brewers M.O. to fast track certain players once they seem to have "found it" and dont really have time to be on the top 100 list. Sure we dont have players in the minors with great pedigrees, but it does seem like we can churn out serviceable players pretty effectively.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 05, 2020, 12:56 AM Post
stalton said:
TJseven7 said:
This farm can stay the worst in baseball if it keeps churning out MLB talent.

Last year it kicked Hiura Grisham Houser into the majors for good. Last year they were in the bottom 3 preseason. Pretty sure there are some top 27 teams who didn't graduate that much to the majors.

I remember somewhere on here that its been the Brewers M.O. to fast track certain players once they seem to have "found it" and dont really have time to be on the top 100 list. Sure we dont have players in the minors with great pedigrees, but it does seem like we can churn out serviceable players pretty effectively.

The Brewers can get prospects up quickly, and a lot are people who haven't been heard of.

Brent Suter, for one. This was a 31st-round pick who didn't have "stuff," but who got results. I'll just note that the Brewers seem to have added a few other "no-stuff/good-results" pitchers since Suter made the majors. Dylan File and Max Lazar were all taken in 2017 - right after Suter's debut year in 2016. Both look to be serviceable starters - albeit I think they could both be TOR arms.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 05, 2020, 9:11 AM Post
I expect the farm system to take a significant jump in rankings this season, simply by the combination of some of their high school draftees having another year of development further up the chain (Turang, Lutz, etc) and having some recent collegiate draftees get enough minor league exposure for people to take notice (Small, Rasmussen, Ashby, etc). When prospects figure it out, even if they've had mixed results in early stages of their minor league careers, the Brewers seem to have no issues pushing them through the system and up to Milwaukee under Stearns' tenure - see Arcia, Burnes, Woodruff, Peralta, Hader, Grisham, Hiura, Suter, and I'm sure I'm missing a few.

I still go back to when the Brewers were last ranked towards the top of the minor league system rankings in 2015/2016....with the exception of Hader, virtually none of those prospects that put their system towards the top of the heap in 2016 have amounted to anything at the MLB level that would be cause for regret trading them (Brinson, Diaz, Harrison, Ortiz, Phillips, Lara, Medeiros, etc). Some may go on to have decent or even good MLB careers, but I'd argue they were likely traded at close to their peak values for MLB talent that significantly improved the Brewers the past few years.

Managing a farm system isn't always about stockpiling an endless supply of talent and hoarding it for the ever-rosy future window of contention. To me it's about developing players that can help your MLB team win, whether that's by them playing everyday in Milwaukee once they're ready or being used as trade chips to strengthen the Brewers at the major league level.

Specific to this thread - there isn't a Hader/Yelich "Day of Reckoning". Heck, there shouldn't be a need to even have a Hader "Day of Reckoning". You've got a unicorn left handed late inning reliever - enjoy the ride and the remaining years of team control with him, even with an increasing cost, and move on once he reaches free agency or during that last year of control if your team stinks and you can get prospects for him at the deadline.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 43 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply