LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 22  Next  [ 428 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2021 Free Agents

Offline  Re: 2021 Free Agents
Posted: December 08, 2020, 12:42 PM Post
If you rotate these guys between 1B, LF/RF, and CF, he definitely would provide some extra punch against right handed pitching, and against lefties you've got some thump coming off the bench when a team is stuck with a RHP reliever due to the 3 batter minimum rule. But you definitely still need to find a capable 1B against left handed pitching then.

2018-20 vs. RHP

2018-20 vs. LHP

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 08, 2020, 1:13 PM Post
https://twitter.com/jonheyman/status/13 ... 61507?s=21

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 08, 2020, 1:14 PM Post
Damn, we could have afforded Santana at 2 yrs, $17 mil....

We're gonna have **** 1B production again this year.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 08, 2020, 1:18 PM Post
We better end up with someone like Mitch Moreland then.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 08, 2020, 1:33 PM Post
Yeah that sucks but wonder if he wanted to stay in the AL due to the DH. Then again, maybe the Brewers just didn’t want to pony up the money.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 08, 2020, 1:50 PM Post
wibadgers23 said:
Yeah that sucks but wonder if he wanted to stay in the AL due to the DH. Then again, maybe the Brewers just didn’t want to pony up the money.

Santana has been a DH in the past (spending a majority of 2016 there) & made it clear he disliked it.
He put in the work to improve his skills at 1B in order to limit being a DH moving forward.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 08, 2020, 7:57 PM Post
So who’s left for 1B and 3B options on the open market? I’m looking at the top 50 free agents according to mlb trade rumors and there weren’t a lot to begin with and now Carlos Santana is gone. I feel like we’re screwed at those positions unless Stearns can swing a trade.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 08, 2020, 7:59 PM Post
I’m not sure what people were expecting when Vogelbach was resigned. More than likely, he’s the guy.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 08, 2020, 8:03 PM Post
Global Moderator
Brew4U said:
I’m not sure what people were expecting when Vogelbach was resigned. More than likely, he’s the guy.

I refused to believe that's the case, even though that's probably the case.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 08, 2020, 8:06 PM Post
Vogelbach is not our everyday 1B, he's terrible over there.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 08, 2020, 8:08 PM Post
wibadgers23 said:
So who’s left for 1B and 3B options on the open market? I’m looking at the top 50 free agents according to mlb trade rumors and there weren’t a lot to begin with and now Carlos Santana is gone. I feel like we’re screwed at those positions unless Stearns can swing a trade.

First Basemen

Matt Adams (32)
Asdrubal Cabrera (35)
C.J. Cron (31)
Derek Dietrich (31)
Todd Frazier (35)
Marwin Gonzalez (32)
Howie Kendrick (37)
Tommy La Stella (32)
Jake Lamb (30)
Mitch Moreland (35)
Logan Morrison (33)
Daniel Murphy (36)
Renato Nunez (27)
Rangel Ravelo (29)
Pablo Sandoval (34)
Danny Santana (30)
Justin Smoak (34)
Eric Thames (34)
Ryan Zimmerman (36)

Third Basemen

Asdrubal Cabrera (35)
Zack Cozart (35)
Maikel Franco (28)
Todd Frazier (35)
Mike Freeman (33)
Greg Garcia (31)
Marwin Gonzalez (32)
Jedd Gyorko (32)
Adeiny Hechavarria (32)
Brock Holt (33)
Ha-Seong Kim (25) — subject to KBO posting system
Tommy La Stella (32)
Jake Lamb (30)
DJ LeMahieu (32)
Brad Miller (31)
Joe Panik (30)
Travis Shaw (31)
Eric Sogard (35)
Justin Turner (36)

I want Mitch Moreland and Asbrubal Cabrera personally.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 08, 2020, 8:18 PM Post
Christ, if we didnt want to spend $17 mil on Santana... Not a chance we sign Joc.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 09, 2020, 7:56 AM Post
wibadgers23 said:
I feel like we’re screwed at those positions unless Stearns can swing a trade.

Rinse and repeat, the life of a Brewers fan. *sigh*

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 09, 2020, 7:56 AM Post
PeaveyFury said:
Brew4U said:

I refused to believe that's the case, even though that's probably the case.

this and that.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2021 Free Agents
Posted: December 10, 2020, 7:17 AM Post
Global Moderator
Will Sammon of The Athletic put out this piece yesterday that looked at seven position players that could be options for the Brewers in free agency, Which free agents are realistic targets for Brewers and fill their needs?

Included in the players discussed as possibilities for the Brewers are Tommy LaStella and Didi Gregorius. One player not mentioned in Will’s article that I think remains an outside possibility is Marcus Semien. There have been reports that teams have asked Semien about his willingness to play 3B (which sounds like something the Brewers would do), and I think the shortstop market is going to be depressed this offseason by the fact only small markets really have a glaring need at shortstop (Reds, A’s). The Angels were in the market for a shortstop, but they traded for Jose Iglesias to fill their need. Next year star shortstops Francisco Lindor and Corey Seager are expected to be available as free agents as well as other good shortstop options like Trevor Story, and Trea Turner will hit the market the following season. I think there is a chance Semien’s market won’t be as strong as he hoped for and he settles for a one year deal (similar to Gregorius last season). Now whether the Brewers would be willing to pony up $14-$16 million for a one year deal with Semien is something we can debate, but I don’t think it’s completely out of the realm of possibilities.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 10, 2020, 7:46 AM Post
Global Moderator
Semien’s value is immense as an SS. His bat plays well at 3rd if he hits like he did in 2019. If he hits like he did the rest of his career (.725-ish OPS), he’s an all-star caliber SS, and a below average 3B offensively.

But, if he plays like he did in 2019, he’s MVP caliber wherever he plays.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 10, 2020, 7:59 AM Post
Eye Black said:
Will Sammon of The Athletic put out this piece yesterday that looked at seven position players that could be options for the Brewers in free agency, Which free agents are realistic targets for Brewers and fill their needs?

Included in the players discussed as possibilities for the Brewers are Tommy LaStella and Didi Gregorius. One player not mentioned in Will’s article that I think remains an outside possibility is Marcus Semien. There have been reports that teams have asked Semien about his willingness to play 3B (which sounds like something the Brewers would do), and I think the shortstop market is going to be depressed this offseason by the fact only small markets really have a glaring need at shortstop (Reds, A’s). The Angels were in the market for a shortstop, but they traded for Jose Iglesias to fill their need. Next year star shortstops Francisco Lindor and Corey Seager are expected to be available as free agents, and Trea Turner will hit the market the following season. I think there is a chance Semien’s market won’t be as strong as he hoped for and he settles for a one year deal (similar to Gregorius last season). Now whether the Brewers would be willing to pony up $14-$16 million for a one year deal with Semien is something we can debate, but I don’t think it’s completely out of the realm of possibilities.

You can't see the whole article, so thanks for the synopsis. I just don't see the Brewers throwing out that kind of money for a one year rental. To many holes to fill for a team looking to cut payroll.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 10, 2020, 8:02 AM Post
Global Moderator
wntrtxn21 said:
I just don't see the Brewers throwing out that kind of money for a one year rental. To many holes to fill for a team looking to cut payroll.

I don't think it's completely crazy to think that their entire offseason strategy could revolve around A)signing one more significant FA, like Semien, and B)hoping that the rest of the offensive roster simply reverts back closer to career norms. Not an unreasonable strategy, IMO, which could work in and of itself.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 10, 2020, 8:13 AM Post
Eye Black said:
Included in the players discussed as possibilities for the Brewers are Tommy LaStella and Didi Gregorius. One player not mentioned in Will’s article that I think remains an outside possibility is Marcus Semien. There have been reports that teams have asked Semien about his willingness to play 3B (which sounds like something the Brewers would do), and I think the shortstop market is going to be depressed this offseason by the fact only small markets really have a glaring need at shortstop (Reds, A’s). The Angels were in the market for a shortstop, but they traded for Jose Iglesias to fill their need. Next year star shortstops Francisco Lindor and Corey Seager are expected to be available as free agents, and Trea Turner will hit the market the following season. I think there is a chance Semien’s market won’t be as strong as he hoped for and he settles for a one year deal (similar to Gregorius last season). Now whether the Brewers would be willing to pony up $14-$16 million for a one year deal with Semien is something we can debate, but I don’t think it’s completely out of the realm of possibilities.

I don't think Semien will get $14-16 million for a one year deal. I think in this market it will be more like $10m maybe even less as I just don't see that many teams looking for a SS. In FA you have Gregorius, Simmons and Semien as the top options at SS. The teams that could possibly need a SS are small market teams and I am not sure they are going to pay top dollar for a FA at SS especially not the Reds and A's. Then you also have teams waiting until next year to get the SS that they want in either Lindor or Seager. I wouldn't be surprised if the Reds trade for a SS instead of paying either Simmons, Gregorius or Semien. I think Simmons ends up with the Phillies and that leaves Gregorius and Semien looking to fill in somewhere on a team.

I think the Yankees may sign Gregorius or Simmons and move Torres to 2B if they don't resign LeMahieu. It is basically one big game of musical chairs and Semien may find himself without a chair and if I were the Brewers I would sign Semien to a 1-year deal as either the 3B or starting SS if Arcia's bat disappears completely again.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 10, 2020, 10:17 AM Post
I truly believe Jedd Gyorko will be brought back at a lesser salary. He was very solid last year and filled in nicely at 1b and 3b. I like him more than a lot of the bigger names being brought up.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 22  Next  [ 428 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply