LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next  [ 466 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2021 Free Agents

Online  Re: 2021 Free Agents
Posted: February 19, 2021, 12:27 PM Post
wntrtxn21 said:
wibadgers23 said:
Go get David Robertson to round out the bullpen and call the offseason good. Didn’t have a good year in 2020 in a small sample but has obviously been really good his whole career. Don’t think he’ll cost all that much.

I'm not convinced on Robertson. He just had TJ surgery, barely pitched in 2019 and didn't throw at all in 2020. Maybe if he came real cheap.

Oops, didn’t realize he had TJ and I misread his stats thinking he pitched last year. Yeah maybe not then.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2021 Free Agents
Posted: February 19, 2021, 4:34 PM Post
Yes that will be nice addition.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 19, 2021, 8:27 PM Post
I think a Robertson addition could be a pretty good one. I'm looking at the list of free agents and there are guys I would prefer, Jake Odorizzi being one. But if you just look at pure upside, Robertson is probably the best guy still available. Only challenger to that I can find would be Roberto Osuna but he had Tommy John more recently and I'm assuming he will miss most, if not all, of the 2021 season (and obviously I'm ignoring all the other stuff that surrounds Osuna and am only looking at pure upside).

If the Brewers were really in on Turner, and have only spent a fraction of what they would have spent on Turner when they signed Anderson and Shaw...seems like there is money there to take a flyer on a boom-or-bust guy like Robertson.

And as far as the injury concern...Robertson was never a guy that lived on velocity. Pretty much lived in the 92 MPH region with a fastball/cutter and then had a nasty, nasty curveball. Sure it's possible that his 92 MPH will become an 89 MPH and he'll get shelled at that velocity. But I like his chances for a comeback a bit better considering he wasn't a guy who lived on a power fastball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL1mDxbw3oI

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 19, 2021, 10:24 PM Post
Global Moderator
Odorizzi would definitely raise the floor for the rotation & be a fun old school reunion. Crazy that the Greinke trade was ten years ago now.

ZiPS projects Jake for 120 IP at 100 ERA+ (1.5 WAR) in 2021, which is essentially the Taijuan Walker projection with a few more IP.

The advantages Odo has are that he has a better track record of health, his kind of maybe breakout (159 IP | 71 ERA- | 73 FIP-) in 2019 was more recent & his injuries in 2020 (blister, line drive to chest) were fluky/not arm related, though obviously blisters can be a recurring issue for some guys.

Gotta figure he's looking for at least 3/30 if Walker got 2/20.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 19, 2021, 10:38 PM Post
I wonder if the Brewers would still be looking at Odo would give us a solid starter to work in the rotation. The other guy Robertson would make the bullpen even solid.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 20, 2021, 8:24 AM Post
Would the Brewers offer 3 for $30 million for Odorizzi? I know they reportedly offered that kind of money to Turner but my gut just tells me they wouldn’t offer that to Odorizzi. I think the Brewers always think more highly of their internal pitching options than us fans do. It would be fun but I would be surprised to see them go this route.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 21, 2021, 5:34 PM Post
wibadgers23 said:
Would the Brewers offer 3 for $30 million for Odorizzi? I know they reportedly offered that kind of money to Turner but my gut just tells me they wouldn’t offer that to Odorizzi. I think the Brewers always think more highly of their internal pitching options than us fans do. It would be fun but I would be surprised to see them go this route.

With Stearns history of not making big investments in pitching, I'd be completely shocked if the Brewers would give Odorizzi a three year deal. I'm guessing the Brewers would only go one season. Taijuan Walker getting a two year deal tells me that thinking Odorizzi only getting a one year deal is not realistic. But on the other hand, it's February 21 and Odorizzi does not have a deal yet. So even if he has a multi-year offer, there is always a chance that he thinks that offer is too low and he might be willing to do a one year deal and then try again next off-season.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 22, 2021, 11:08 AM Post
Cross JJ off, he signed with the Nats.

Give me Shane Greene and call it an offseason.... Greene, Williams, Hader... Yep I like that!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 22, 2021, 11:09 AM Post
Global Moderator
Jake's best play might be to wait until mid-spring training to sign. See who gets injures and drives up his demand.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 22, 2021, 11:10 AM Post
BestInTheWorld said:
Cross JJ off, he signed with the Nats.

Give me Shane Greene and call it an offseason.... Greene, Williams, Hader... Yep I like that!

I'm wondering why a guy like Greene isn't signed yet? Must be something with him.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 22, 2021, 11:25 AM Post
According to Jon Heyman, Brewers made a good try for Rosenthal (have you heard that before?), so there must have been a good offer rather than just checking in. So Brewers would clearly still like to upgrade the bullpen... is there anyone left that would be a big upgrade? Is Greene the best remaining?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 22, 2021, 11:36 AM Post
Brett Wurst said:
According to Jon Heyman, Brewers made a good try for Rosenthal (have you heard that before?), so there must have been a good offer rather than just checking in. So Brewers would clearly still like to upgrade the bullpen... is there anyone left that would be a big upgrade? Is Greene the best remaining?

From what I've seen, these are the "best" 5 remaining pen arms still available (other than Greene):

David Robertson (if he's recovered)
Roberto Osuna (gross)
Jesse Chavez
Tyler Clippard
Darren O'Day

Pickings are getting pretty slim. I think the Brewers are more than likely to roll with what they have at this point.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 22, 2021, 11:50 AM Post
Agreed, I’m not sure if those are enough of an upgrade over the current options. That allows them to hopefully use the remaining budget to upgrade in-season. I read Boxberger has looked good so far, so that would help.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 22, 2021, 11:51 AM Post
Robert Murray
@ByRobertMurray
·
13s
Sources: Brewers in the mix for free-agent outfielder Jackie Bradley Jr.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 22, 2021, 11:51 AM Post
markedman5 said:
Robert Murray
@ByRobertMurray
·
13s

He'd make a hell of a 4th OFer ....

or????

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 22, 2021, 11:52 AM Post
And just after I posted that, I see the Brewers are in the mix for Jackie Bradley Jr. Hmm... not sure what that means....

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 22, 2021, 11:55 AM Post
Ron Robinson's Beard said:
markedman5 said:
Robert Murray
@ByRobertMurray
·
13s

He'd make a hell of a 4th OFer ....

or????

I can’t imagine he’d go somewhere where he’d be the 4th outfielder unless there’s just no interest from anyone else. Or like you said, something weird is in the works.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 22, 2021, 12:48 PM Post
markedman5 said:
Robert Murray
@ByRobertMurray
·
13s

Wait what????????????? We gotta be moving Cain or Garcia then, there's no way JBJ signs here to be a platoon/4th OF.

This move would be something tho!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 22, 2021, 1:20 PM Post
Do we know if Cain is going to play a full season?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 22, 2021, 5:11 PM Post
I'd take Bradley over both Garcia and Cain.

This would be great if we trade one of Cain/Garcia for a real 3B somehow...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next  [ 466 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply