LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next  [ 238 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

What is your 2020-2021 offseason plan for the Brewers?

Offline  Re: What is your 2020-2021 offseason plan for the Brewers?
Posted: November 18, 2020, 10:06 PM Post
I expect Hader to be gone.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 19, 2020, 9:51 AM Post
Soupbone said:
Stearns often zags when others zig. Might MA decide this is a good chance to go for it?

There is no reason to sugar coat it, the money isn't there and for that reason it won't happen even if he wanted to.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: What is your 2020-2021 offseason plan for the Brewers?
Posted: November 19, 2020, 9:52 AM Post
Global Moderator
MrTPlush said:
Soupbone said:
Stearns often zags when others zig. Might MA decide this is a good chance to go for it?

There is no reason to sugar coat it, the money isn't there and for that reason it won't happen even if he wanted to.

Is it sugarcoating it, or is it just idle fan speculation? Sure, there's lots of reasons to think payroll will be reduced. But by how much? People here are talking about an $80-90 million payroll as if its gospel, when in actuality, we have no clue if it'll be $85 million or $99.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 23, 2020, 9:33 AM Post
Global Moderator
MLB Trade Rumors takes a look at decisions facing the Brewers this offseason in this article, Offseason Outlook: Milwaukee Brewers

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 24, 2020, 7:53 PM Post
I've come to grips that we probably won't sign LaStella.

So I've set my sights on Carlos Santana and Asdrubal Cabrera for 1B and 3B... Both switch hitters, so they play every day.

Cain
Yelich
Hiura
Santana
Garcia
Cabrera
Narvaez
Urias

I really like that lineup.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 24, 2020, 9:06 PM Post
Trade Hiura to the Rays for Blake Snell
Trade Hader to the Twins for Alex Kirilloff and Luis Arraez
Sign Tommy La Stella 2 years/$15 million

C Pina/Nottingham
1B Kirilloff
2B Arraez
SS Urias
3B La Stella
OF Yelich
OF Cain
OF Garcia
DH Vogelbach

Rotation:
Snell
Woodruff
Burnes
Houser
Lindblom

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 27, 2020, 10:12 PM Post
reillymcshane said:
I think Knebel will be let go with that salary.

Knebel missed 2019 and took a while to find his form in 2020, his first season back from TJ surgery. But he pitched decently in Sept. (noting, of course, that everything about 2020 can have "small sample size" called on it).

Isn't it still true that you can offer players a pay cut of no more than 20% in arbitration? If so, then the Brewers could offer Knebel something in the $4.2M range -- either via arbitration or in pre-arb negotiations (the latter with some reasonable performance-based incentives) -- and it still probably represents more than any offer he'd see in a somewhat flooded market after the non-tender deadline, given baseball's COVID-depressed economy.

If it's me calling the shots, if Knebel can come anywhere close to his usual good form, it's worth the security of having Hader, Williams, and a now-healthy Knebel at the back end of a strong bullpen. If Hader falters or things get a little too dicey, Knebel has the kind of meaningful closing experience we'd be hoping & praying to land for a song over the winter if we let Knebel go. And that would allow Williams to stay in a role where he's already successful.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 27, 2020, 10:17 PM Post
BTW, as a Brewers fan up here in Twins Territory, Twins fans are salivating over Kirilloff. I doubt we'd get him -- let alone with good-contact-guy Arraez -- for Hader. I like the proposed deal a lot. I'm just very skeptical that it's realistic.

Then again, Taylor Rogers proved mortal and Sergio Romo was set adrift, so it's possible the Twins might pay a good price for Hader.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 28, 2020, 12:41 PM Post
I believe that anything above $5m would be the most the Brewers have paid for any reliever in a single year in the Stearns era (Though I would imagine that hader will exceed that too), and I think in a year like this and with Knebel coming back from injury etc they won't be paying that. Even in a normal year I don't think it's a given they would do that. It's obviously hard to judge from the outside what a front office prioritizes and not (As in we can see the moves they make and guess at the motivations behind them, but have only a fraction of the data they do), but it would seem to me that this group do not believe in spending any significant portion of the payroll on relief pitching. Even that previous $5m (Feliz) was a signing made to hopefully flip at the deadline in a year where payroll was low and they had money to spend on 1-year deals, on a team not really expected to contend.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 29, 2020, 8:06 AM Post
The problem with any "plan" is that the Brewers plan appears to be what it was last year. They'll sit back while the guys that can really help get gobbled up and see who they can get on the cheap after the dust settles about the last week of January.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 29, 2020, 9:56 AM Post
Getting closer to Winter Meetings and non-tender deadline. The real excitement is less than 10days away.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 29, 2020, 10:59 AM Post
MNBrew said:
BTW, as a Brewers fan up here in Twins Territory, Twins fans are salivating over Kirilloff. I doubt we'd get him -- let alone with good-contact-guy Arraez -- for Hader. I like the proposed deal a lot. I'm just very skeptical that it's realistic.

Then again, Taylor Rogers proved mortal and Sergio Romo was set adrift, so it's possible the Twins might pay a good price for Hader.

Being in Twins territory, do you have a feel of what the Twins would be willing to give up to get Hader? Trevor Larnarch is intriguing and he's close to MLB ready. Maybe a Larnarch and Balazovich/Jeffers? I really like Arraez because he's such an on-base machine so would love to somehow get him too.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 29, 2020, 11:33 AM Post
JohnBriggs12 said:
The problem with any "plan" is that the Brewers plan appears to be what it was last year. They'll sit back while the guys that can really help get gobbled up and see who they can get on the cheap after the dust settles about the last week of January.

Ugh! I wish you were wrong...

[angry]

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 29, 2020, 1:59 PM Post
Global Moderator
wibadgers23 said:
MNBrew said:

Being in Twins territory, do you have a feel of what the Twins would be willing to give up to get Hader? Trevor Larnarch is intriguing and he's close to MLB ready. Maybe a Larnarch and Balazovich/Jeffers? I really like Arraez because he's such an on-base machine so would love to somehow get him too.

Kirilloff is obviously the ideal return, but I’m very high on Larnach. He’d be a nice get as part of a bigger deal.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 29, 2020, 5:25 PM Post
My attempt part 1:

Sign Didi Gregorious 3 years, 39 million
Sign Joc Pederson for 2 years, 18 million
Sign Freddy Galvis for 1 year, 2 million
Trade Houser for JD Davis
Trade Hader for Alec Bohm
Trade Hiura for Sean Manaea

Nontender: Arcia, Claudio, Gamel, Healy, Pina, Peterson, Knebel (re-sign for 3 million), Vogelbach
Tender: Narvaez, Woodruff

Lineup:
1. Cain CF
2. Yelich LF
3. Bohm 3B
4. Pederson 1B
5. Garcia RF
6. Gregorious SS
7. Davis DH
8. Narvaez C
9. Urias 2B

Bench:
Nottingham, Galvis, Taylor, Mathias

Rotation:

1. Woodruff
2. Burnes
3. Manaea
4. Lindblom
5. Lauer

Pen:

Williams, Knebel, Suter, Peralta, Yardley, Rasmussen, Topa, Wahl

We don't have much of a bench but maybe we will find a diamond in the rough for depth. The good news is that we would finally score some runs. I look forward to most of you telling me that we can't afford this [smile].

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 29, 2020, 8:09 PM Post
wallus said:
My attempt part 1:

Nontender: Arcia, Claudio, Gamel, Healy, Pina, Peterson, Knebel (re-sign for 3 million), Vogelbach

Lineup:
1. Cain CF
2. Yelich LF
3. Bohm 3B
4. Pederson 1B
5. Garcia RF
6. Gregorious SS
7. Davis DH
8. Narvaez C
9. Urias 2B

Bench:

Rotation:

1. Woodruff
2. Burnes
3. Manaea
4. Lindblom
5. Lauer

Pen:

We don't have much of a bench but maybe we will find a diamond in the rough for depth. The good news is that we would finally score some runs. I look forward to most of you telling me that we can't afford this [smile].

So you don't believe the Brewers and many, many more teams are going to CUT payroll? You want to add million upon millions of dollars. I think your chance of this happening are somewhere between zero and the proverbial snowball's chance in hell.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 29, 2020, 8:47 PM Post
wntrtxn21 said:
wallus said:
My attempt part 1:

Lineup:
1. Cain CF
2. Yelich LF
3. Bohm 3B
4. Pederson 1B
5. Garcia RF
6. Gregorious SS
7. Davis DH
8. Narvaez C
9. Urias 2B

Bench:

Rotation:

1. Woodruff
2. Burnes
3. Manaea
4. Lindblom
5. Lauer

Pen:

So you don't believe the Brewers and many, many more teams are going to CUT payroll? You want to add million upon millions of dollars. I think your chance of this happening are somewhere between zero and the proverbial snowball's chance in hell.

Appreciate your constructive and productive criticism. I look forward to seeing your in depth plan.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 29, 2020, 9:14 PM Post
wntrtxn21 said:
wallus said:
My attempt part 1:

Lineup:
1. Cain CF
2. Yelich LF
3. Bohm 3B
4. Pederson 1B
5. Garcia RF
6. Gregorious SS
7. Davis DH
8. Narvaez C
9. Urias 2B

Bench:

Rotation:

1. Woodruff
2. Burnes
3. Manaea
4. Lindblom
5. Lauer

Pen:

To be fair, he only added about $12M if you consider he traded away/non-tendered almost $20M worth of estimated 2021 contracts. Not sure where that leaves the total payroll, but considering we're also dropping the contracts of Braun, Anderson, Sogard, Gyorko, etc. to FA, it may actually be a little less than the non-prorated payroll from last year, depending on how many pay raises everyone else gets.

But anyways, it's not outrageous, and if you think it's taking on too much money, just drop the Didi signing and hold onto Arcia and go from there.

Interesting ideas though, I'd love the Houser for Davis swap if the Mets would go for it.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 29, 2020, 10:13 PM Post
Global Moderator
There's nothing wrong with offering up ideas - even ones not likely to pass. That's what this forum is for.

So please be respectful about things. Thank you.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 29, 2020, 11:15 PM Post
Global Moderator
wntrtxn21 said:
So you don't believe the Brewers and many, many more teams are going to CUT payroll? You want to add million upon millions of dollars.

Pre-Pandemic Brewers opening day payroll came in around 97 million.

If I added everything correctly wallus comes in around 95 million, all salaries & Arby's estimates from Cot's...

Cain (17) Yelich (14) Didi (13) Avisail (10.75) Joc (9) Manea (4.85) Woodruff (3.5) Lindblom (3) Knebel (3) Omar (2.9) Galvis (2) Davis (1.85) Suter (1.5) Peralta (1.25) = 87.6 million, + 12 @ 600K = 94.8 million.

Yeah, probably higher than what opening day payroll will be for 2021, but not adding millions upon millions compared to 2020.

I'd imagine we'll come in around 80-85 million, which depending on trades/tender decisions should still leave enough in the cookie jar to sign a couple two tree guys around five to seven million each.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next  [ 238 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply