LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  [ 188 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

What is your 2020-2021 offseason plan for the Brewers?

Offline  Re: What is your 2020-2021 offseason plan for the Brewers?
Posted: November 30, 2020, 8:00 AM Post
Global Moderator
sveumrules said:
Pre-Pandemic Brewers opening day payroll came in around 97 million.

If I added everything correctly wallus comes in around 95 million, all salaries & Arby's estimates from Cot's...

Cain (17) Yelich (14) Didi (13) Avisail (10.75) Joc (9) Manea (4.85) Woodruff (3.5) Lindblom (3) Knebel (3) Omar (2.9) Galvis (2) Davis (1.85) Suter (1.5) Peralta (1.25) = 87.6 million, + 12 @ 600K = 94.8 million.

Yeah, probably higher than what opening day payroll will be for 2021, but not adding millions upon millions compared to 2020.

I'd imagine we'll come in around 80-85 million, which depending on trades/tender decisions should still leave enough in the cookie jar to sign a couple two tree guys around five to seven million each.

So, as MrAllen noted, you'd very much be in the ballpark if you remove Didi from the equation. You'd still have to pay Arcia or another SS something, of course, but you'd very much be in that $80-85m range.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 30, 2020, 11:14 AM Post
wallus said:
My attempt part 1:

Sign Didi Gregorious 3 years, 39 million
Sign Joc Pederson for 2 years, 18 million
Sign Freddy Galvis for 1 year, 2 million
Trade Houser for JD Davis
Trade Hader for Alec Bohm
Trade Hiura for Sean Manaea

Nontender: Arcia, Claudio, Gamel, Healy, Pina, Peterson, Knebel (re-sign for 3 million), Vogelbach
Tender: Narvaez, Woodruff

Lineup:
1. Cain CF
2. Yelich LF
3. Bohm 3B
4. Pederson 1B
5. Garcia RF
6. Gregorious SS
7. Davis DH
8. Narvaez C
9. Urias 2B

Bench:
Nottingham, Galvis, Taylor, Mathias

Rotation:

1. Woodruff
2. Burnes
3. Manaea
4. Lindblom
5. Lauer

Pen:

Williams, Knebel, Suter, Peralta, Yardley, Rasmussen, Topa, Wahl

We don't have much of a bench but maybe we will find a diamond in the rough for depth. The good news is that we would finally score some runs. I look forward to most of you telling me that we can't afford this [smile].

Not sure if Philly would do it but I really like your Hader trade proposal. Bohm is exactly the type of player the Brewers should be looking to trade Hader for. I also like your idea of trading Hiura for a stud starting pitcher. I’m on that train too.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 30, 2020, 12:14 PM Post
Would love to get him but Bohm isnt being traded.

We would have to offer Burnes, Woody and Hader... They probably still say no.

Last edited by BestInTheWorld on November 30, 2020, 12:28 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 30, 2020, 12:25 PM Post
BestInTheWorld said:

Bohm has a lot of potential, but holy undervaluing our own players, Batman!

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 30, 2020, 12:28 PM Post
Ron Robinson's Beard said:
BestInTheWorld said:

Bohm has a lot of potential, but holy undervaluing our own players, Batman!

Sorry, that should have been in blue! Haha

I love all 3 of those dudes!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 30, 2020, 12:28 PM Post
The Brewers are in a tough position with Hader. They’re in a budget crunch but also need help at multiple positions with little prospect capital and a win now mindset. Never say never but I just don’t see them trading him unless Brewers do a mini rebuild

And as much as I love Hader you’re not getting Bohm for him. You don’t trade the 3rd pick in the draft who is already showing possible star potential for a reliever. Regardless of how good the reliever is.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 30, 2020, 12:30 PM Post
Wonder if we could pry Dalbec from the Red Sox, I would love him at 3B... But I doubt it, he's probably their 1B going forward.

Wouldnt mind Chavis either.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 30, 2020, 1:01 PM Post
If they do not plan on increasing payroll soon (next season at the latest), Yelich's extension was incredibly stupid.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 30, 2020, 1:08 PM Post
Global Moderator
wallus said:
If they do not plan on increasing payroll soon (next season at the latest), Yelich's extension was incredibly stupid.

If they could have foreseen the global pandemic, I'm guessing they might have waited on the Yelich extension.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 30, 2020, 1:55 PM Post
sveumrules said:
wallus said:

If they could have foreseen the global pandemic, I'm guessing they might have waited on the Yelich extension.

He signed the contract less than a week before spring training shut down. The WHO declared COVID-19 a Public Health Emergency of International Concern on January 30th. Must have just magically appeared with no warning that could have been forseen.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 30, 2020, 2:11 PM Post
They were working on the contract for months. The entire world shut down including sports. And then when it returned they weren’t allowed to have fans. There was no way the Brewers could have foreseen this coming. No one did. Including 99% of all politicians.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 30, 2020, 2:23 PM Post
Global Moderator
Here's the original Yelich Extension thread. I couldn't find any posts saying it was stupid to give him the extension with a global pandemic looming since it was sure to limit payroll in 2021 & maybe even beyond, so that position would seem to be benefitting from at least some degree of hindsight...

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=39624&hilit=yelich+extended

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 30, 2020, 2:28 PM Post
trwi7 said:
sveumrules said:
wallus said:

He signed the contract less than a week before spring training shut down. The WHO declared COVID-19 a Public Health Emergency of International Concern on January 30th. Must have just magically appeared with no warning that could have been forseen.

Uhh ... when they shut down Spring Training, the common train of thought was that it would be for a couple of weeks to a month. COVID really wasn't on the forefront of anyone's mind when Yelich signed his extension. Perhaps that was part of the problem/mistake, but that doesn't make it any less true.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 30, 2020, 2:32 PM Post
Kind of seems like when the World Health Organization declares something an Emergency of International Concern that it might be a good idea to take it seriously or at the very least be aware of it and the effects it could have as the President of the organization.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 30, 2020, 2:49 PM Post
baumer16 said:
They were working on the contract for months. The entire world shut down including sports. And then when it returned they weren’t allowed to have fans. There was no way the Brewers could have foreseen this coming. No one did. Including 99% of all politicians.

Yeah, exactly this! Nobody had any idea what was about to hit us back in late February/early March. I remember hearing about COVID in the news, but there was NEVER a time when I thought to myself that this virus was going to impact our lives to the extent that it has - back then.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 30, 2020, 4:48 PM Post
BestInTheWorld said:
Wonder if we could pry Dalbec from the Red Sox, I would love him at 3B... But I doubt it, he's probably their 1B going forward.

I wonder if the Crew could get Wendle from the Rays? The Rays have an abundance of corner infielders, but look to need OFs or pitching. Wendle appears to play a good 3B and is controllable for 3 years. They also have Nate Lowe at 1B who may be a target. Just throwing another possibility out there.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 30, 2020, 8:01 PM Post
wntrtxn21 said:
BestInTheWorld said:

I wonder if the Crew could get Wendle from the Rays? The Rays have an abundance of corner infielders, but look to need OFs or pitching. Wendle appears to play a good 3B and is controllable for 3 years. They also have Nate Lowe at 1B who may be a target. Just throwing another possibility out there.

Wendle is a good mention for Tampa to trade. I don't know if he has any options, surprised he's 30yrs old already. Arbitration this year 1st time.
Looks like moved down the pecking order and is more a LH bat to be platooned vs RHP. Has experience at 2b and 3b even a little SS.

Lowe on the other hand, looks like a fixture for the future for Tampa at 1b. You might wonder on Ji-Man Choi reunion as a 1b fix for Milw. I don't know what the ask would be but being Tampa it'd probably hurt.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 01, 2020, 2:56 PM Post
FA Signings:
Tommy LaStella (2/16m)

Trades:
Keston Hiura, Eric Lauer & Omar Narvaez for JD Davis, Dominic Smith & David Peterson
Josh Hader for Keibert Ruiz & Michael Busch

Arbitration Offered:
Brandon Woodruff (4.5m)
Corey Knebel (5.1m)

Non-Tenders:
Alex Claudio
Manny Pina

Position Players:

C
Keibert Ruiz
Jacob Nottingham

IF
Dom Smith (OF)
Tommy LaStella
Orlando Arcia
Luis Urias
JD Davis (OF)
Jace Peterson (OF)
Dan Vogelbach (DH)

OF
Christian Yelich
Lorenzo Cain
Avasail Garcia
Tyrone Taylor

Starting Pitching:
Woodruff/Burnes/Peterson/Lindblom/Houser

Relief Pitching:
Williams/Knebel/Peralta/Suter/Rasmussen/Yardley/Topa/Black

Payroll: 81.9M

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 01, 2020, 3:04 PM Post
Global Moderator
Vollbc74 said:
Keston Hiura, Eric Lauer & Omar Narvaez for JD Davis, Dominic Smith & David Peterson

Wow, that one is VERY interesting.

Both trades make a lot of sense, though I'm less sure the Dodgers one flies with them. But you've certainly infused a lot of young talent into the offensive side of the ball...

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 01, 2020, 9:46 PM Post
wibadgers23 said:
MNBrew said:
BTW, as a Brewers fan up here in Twins Territory, Twins fans are salivating over Kirilloff. I doubt we'd get him -- let alone with good-contact-guy Arraez -- for Hader. I like the proposed deal a lot. I'm just very skeptical that it's realistic.

Then again, Taylor Rogers proved mortal and Sergio Romo was set adrift, so it's possible the Twins might pay a good price for Hader.

Being in Twins territory, do you have a feel of what the Twins would be willing to give up to get Hader? Trevor Larnarch is intriguing and he's close to MLB ready. Maybe a Larnarch and Balazovich/Jeffers? I really like Arraez because he's such an on-base machine so would love to somehow get him too.

Honestly, I don't. But with the Twins putting Eddie Rosario on outright waivers today, I'd be all the more surprised to see one or both of their top OF prospects traded right now (granted, Kirilloff is also very much a 1B possibility, though the Twins also have Sano there).

Last year's Twins 4 primary OF: Rosario, Buxton, Kepler, & Marwin Gonzalez....

Rosario seems to be on his way out the door for cost-control reasons, Buxton's track record with injuries makes Ryan Braun look like he's pretty consistently healthy, & Marwin Gonzalez is a free agent. Hmmm.....

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  [ 188 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply