LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  [ 188 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

What is your 2020-2021 offseason plan for the Brewers?

Offline  Re: What is your 2020-2021 offseason plan for the Brewers?
Posted: December 01, 2020, 9:54 PM Post
Vollbc74 said:
FA Signings:
Tommy LaStella (2/16m)

Trades:
Keston Hiura, Eric Lauer & Omar Narvaez for JD Davis, Dominic Smith & David Peterson
Josh Hader for Keibert Ruiz & Michael Busch

Arbitration Offered:
Brandon Woodruff (4.5m)
Corey Knebel (5.1m)

etc....

I still think the Brewers can offer Knebel an incentive-laden contract with a $4.1M base/guarantee (20% max reduction rule) and that is quite possibly more than he'd see on the open market coming off of so-so year in his 2nd year after TJ surgery.

I do think LaStella would be a solid add and while I don't love moving Hiura, those two trades have some good logic to them.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 02, 2020, 6:14 PM Post
Global Moderator
Well there goes one of my offseason moves...

Per Ken Rosenthal:

Angels have acquired Jose Iglesias from the Orioles, source tells The Athletic.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 02, 2020, 9:18 PM Post
Here is an update on the current payroll situation.

Brewers 2020 Payroll

Batters
Lorenzo Cain- $16 million
Christian Yelich- $14 million
Avisail Garcia- $10.5 million
Omar Narvaez- 2.5 million
Orlando Arcia- $2 million
Manny Pina- $1.65 million
Daniel Vogelbach- $1.4 million
Keston Hiura- $600K
Luis Urias- $600K
Tyrone Taylor- $600K
Luke Maile~ $600K
Jacob Nottingham- $600K
Total: $51.05 million

Starting Pitchers
Brandon Woodruff~ $3 million
Josh Lindblom- $3 million
Corbin Burnes- $600K
Adrian Houser- $600K
Eric Lauer- $600K
Total: $7.8 million

Josh Hader~ $5.5 million
Brent Suter- $1.55 million
Freddy Peralta- $1.2 million
Devin Williams- $600K
Eric Yardley- $600K
Drew Rasmussen- $600K
Justin Topa- $600K
Total: $10.65 million

Deferred/Buyouts
Ryan Braun- $4 million
Matt Garza- $2 million
Jedd Gyorko- $1 million
Eric Sogard- $500K
Total: $7.5 million

Total Current Payroll: $77 million

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 02, 2020, 11:08 PM Post
Just 24players listed. Above.

To be honest I feel comfortable the way pitching stands.
OF assume we need 1 more bench player to complete the 25.
Infield needs less catchers and a 3b. I'd suggest a look at Maikel Franco.
Also long way back suggested Asdrubal Cabrera for 1b. Maybe 4mil deals get it done. 77mil payroll becomes 85.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 02, 2020, 11:31 PM Post
You can leave Garza's deferred money out of these lists. That is already paid for and sitting in an account specifically for paying that deferment per the CBA. The question is did they already fully fund the accounts for Braun's and Cain's deferments? If they were really smart they already did. If they wait to the last possible time to do it, then its about $2.8M combined.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 02, 2020, 11:42 PM Post
brewcrewdue80 said:

Also long way back suggested Asdrubal Cabrera for 1b. Maybe 4mil deals get it done. 77mil payroll becomes 85.

Isn't the 26-man roster a set thing going forward?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 03, 2020, 1:52 AM Post
MNBrew said:
brewcrewdue80 said:

Isn't the 26-man roster a set thing going forward?

Ah something I forgot about.
Also forgot to add a 5th OF. Shouldn't be something to hard to fill.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 03, 2020, 9:24 AM Post
I do the player list more to show where the payroll is at currently for people that are interested in it and want to keep it in mind when providing their new ideas of what they want the offseason to look like. It’s certainly not exact, but it’s close.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 03, 2020, 10:48 AM Post
Given how it ended, it probably won't happen, but as far as value and roster fit, a 3B platoon of Travis Shaw and Jedd Gyorko makes a lot of sense. Both of them are also fine at 1B as well, and would come quite cheaply.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 03, 2020, 10:51 AM Post
I can't imagine Shaw wants anything to do with the Brewers at this point.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 03, 2020, 11:02 AM Post
Brew4U said:
I can't imagine Shaw wants anything to do with the Brewers at this point.

You are likely correct. Just pointing out that, in a vacuum, the fit makes sense.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 03, 2020, 11:34 AM Post
With five 40-man spots left plus a “They can’t really have six catchers on the 40-man heading into camp” spot, I guess that might mean one starter, one reliever, two infielders, one of which is a third baseman, and an outfielder. Then for the last one, maybe a random waived middle infielder with an option left (this year’s Ronny Rodriguez).

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 03, 2020, 11:51 AM Post
CheeseheadInQC said:
With five 40-man spots left plus a “They can’t really have six catchers on the 40-man heading into camp” spot, I guess that might mean one starter, one reliever, two infielders, one of which is a third baseman, and an outfielder. Then for the last one, maybe a random waived middle infielder with an option left (this year’s Ronny Rodriguez).

It has been awhile since they went this route, but it wouldn't surprise me to see them grab a guy in the Rule 5 draft this year. I could see a pitcher, utility IF or 5th OF grabbed. Some of the names I like include OF Will Benson from the Indians, RP Will Kincanon from the White Sox, INF Kevin Maitan from the Angels, RHP Jose Alberto Rivera from the Astros, 3B Joe Rizzo from the Mariners, LHP Thomas Burrows from the Braves, UTL Kevin Kramer from the Pirates, and RHP Riley Pint from the Rockies.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 03, 2020, 12:33 PM Post
Ron Robinson's Beard said:
CheeseheadInQC said:

It has been awhile since they went this route, but it wouldn't surprise me to see them grab a guy in the Rule 5 draft this year. I could see a pitcher, utility IF or 5th OF grabbed. Some of the names I like include OF Will Benson from the Indians, RP Will Kincanon from the White Sox, INF Kevin Maitan from the Angels, RHP Jose Alberto Rivera from the Astros, 3B Joe Rizzo from the Mariners, LHP Thomas Burrows from the Braves, UTL Kevin Kramer from the Pirates, and RHP Riley Pint from the Rockies.

Im surprised Maitan is available, he was supposed to be the next big time international wise.

And I think Riley Pint was a 1st rounder couple years ago.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 03, 2020, 1:17 PM Post
Global Moderator
BestInTheWorld said:
And I think Riley Pint was a 1st rounder couple years ago.

4th overall in 2016. Still VERY young, but his minor league numbers thus far are very... not good.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 03, 2020, 1:25 PM Post
CheeseheadInQC said:

Lets bring together the dream team we mused about. Riley Pint and then trade for Seth Beer.
But Whoa Pint has been bad.
Beer though seems to K less than expected.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 03, 2020, 1:34 PM Post

I could see them going a little further down the upside list for a reliever like De Geus or Kasowski from the Dodgers too.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 03, 2020, 2:18 PM Post
If the interest is low elsewhere and is sincere from MIL, I'd think the chance for regular playing time for Travis Shaw in MIL would hold some appeal. He & Gyorko are known quantities and would possibly make quite a nice fit here. Those two & Vogelbach -- assuming they're functioning & hitting mostly like their better selves -- could mean good production at a very reasonable cost.

The Rule 5 idea is intriguing, too, but that always seems to be as much or more a matter of catching lightning in a bottle, which we already do enough at the MLB level.

Based on Rollie Time's payroll analysis above, there should be at least some money available to pay something of consequence for outside help that could make a difference.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 03, 2020, 9:30 PM Post
One significant thing to keep in mind is that Yelich gets his $12 million raise starting next season so that could play a big part in the offseason decisions. Basically Garcia and Yelich’s salary this season will be equivalent to what Yelich will be making for the foreseeable future beginning in 2022.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 09, 2021, 10:30 AM Post
I posted this in another thread, but figured it might be good to add it in here for discussion purposes.

After the Pablo Reyes signing, how about a Hiura for Jose Ramirez swap? You have Arcia, Urias, and Reyes battling it out up the middle, hoping that Arcia can replicate his 2020 and one of Urias and Reyes can take a step forward. Ramirez slides in at 3B and is on an extremely team friendly deal. Sign a solid bat for 1B like Asdrubal Cabrera and call it an offseason.

CF Cain
1B Cabrera
LF Yelich
3B Ramirez
C Narvaez
RF Garcia
SS Arcia
2B Urias/Reyes
P

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  [ 188 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply