LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  [ 188 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

What is your 2020-2021 offseason plan for the Brewers?

Offline  Re: What is your 2020-2021 offseason plan for the Brewers?
Posted: January 09, 2021, 10:36 AM Post
I really don’t mind the idea of trading Hiura but would rather trade him for a frontline starter. That plan does make sense though trading Hiura for a 3B and then moving Urias to 2B.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 09, 2021, 1:11 PM Post
Global Moderator
RollieTime said:
how about a Hiura for Jose Ramirez swap?

I would literally do that deal this second if it were legitimately on the table.

You probably have to add Turang to make it more palatable for the Indians, but I'd still be very much on board.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 09, 2021, 1:37 PM Post
Global Moderator
Ramirez ranks 4th in WAR since the start of the 2017 season & has 3/33 left on his deal.

Here's the remaining contract situations for the rest of the top dozen...

Trout (10/370), Mookie (12/275), Rendon (6/215), Yelich (9/202), Bregman (4/87), Lindor (1/~20), Judge (2/~25), Arenado (6/199), Freeman (1/22), Xander (5/100), JTR (TBD)

JRam projects for around 16-17 WAR over the next three years, so you're probably talking around 100 million-ish in surplus value.

Offer would probably need to be Hiura, Hader, Turang & Small...and I'm still pretty sure Cleveland could do better since even the Rays could afford to bid at 3/33.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 10, 2021, 4:35 PM Post
My offseason plan would be to make two trades to add cheap talent. Then fill out the roster via free agency.
1. Trade Josh Hader and Adrian Houser to the Mets for Dominic Smith and Brett Baty.
2. Trade Jacob Nottingham and Daniel Vogelbach for Wilmer Flores
3. Sign Tommy La Stella (3yrs/$27MM)
4. Sign James Paxton (2yrs/$16MM+incentives)
5. Sign Shelby Miller and Chasen Shreve to minor league deals

Payroll ($87.2MM)

Rotation: Woodruff, Burnes, Paxton, Lindblom and Lauer ($14.1MM)

Bullpen: Williams, Yardley, Suter, Topa, Peralta, Rasmussen, Black, Shreve/Wahl ($6.6MM)

Lineup: Cain, La Stella, Yelich, Hiura, Smith, Garcia, Narvaez, Arcia ($59.5MM)

Bench: Pina, Urias, W. Flores, Reyes, Taylor, Mathias/T. Lopes ($7MM)

Last edited by bdpecore on January 11, 2021, 9:07 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 11, 2021, 12:01 AM Post
bdpecore said:
My offseason plan would be to make two trades to add cheap talent. Then fill out the roster via free agency.
1. Trade Josh Hader and Adrian Houser to the Mets for Dominic Smith and Brett Baty.

Payroll ($87.2MM)

Bullpen: Williams, Yardley, Suter, Topa, Peralta, Rasmussen, Black, Shreve/Wahl ($6.6MM)

Bench: Pina, Urias, W. Flores, Reyes, Taylor, Mathias/T. Flores ($7MM)

- I like the money management side of what you put together, and I'd gladly go for all those signings.
- Hader AND Houser for Smith & Baty feels like an overpay... or at least a big gamble moving 2 proven MLB arms, one being 2x Reliever of the Year and still one of baseball's best. Hader is by far the Brewers' best tradable asset.
- If the Brewers trade Hader, I hope Stearns is going after David Phelps again in his next breath. The back end of the BP needs a little more proven/veteran presence than Suter & Peralta, who are hardly BP ace types (based on their performance to date). They can both be dynamite but can also be at least a bit inconsistent.
- I agree with moving Nottingham, but I want to see if the Vogelbach of MIL 2020 is the guy we still have, and it's not worth a part-time starting middle IF if Vogelbach is still something close to that guy (or better).
- Who is T. Flores? Did you mean Tim Lopes?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 11, 2021, 9:06 AM Post
MNBrew said:
bdpecore said:

Payroll ($87.2MM)

Bench: Pina, Urias, W. Flores, Reyes, Taylor, Mathias/T. Flores ($7MM)

- I like the money management side of what you put together, and I'd gladly go for all those signings.
- Hader AND Houser for Smith & Baty feels like an overpay... or at least a big gamble moving 2 proven MLB arms, one being 2x Reliever of the Year and still one of baseball's best. Hader is by far the Brewers' best tradable asset.
- If the Brewers trade Hader, I hope Stearns is going after David Phelps again in his next breath. The back end of the BP needs a little more proven/veteran presence than Suter & Peralta, who are hardly BP ace types (based on their performance to date). They can both be dynamite but can also be at least a bit inconsistent.
- I agree with moving Nottingham, but I want to see if the Vogelbach of MIL 2020 is the guy we still have, and it's not worth a part-time starting middle IF if Vogelbach is still something close to that guy (or better).
- Who is T. Flores? Did you mean Tim Lopes?

1. I was wavering between including Houser or Lauer as the second piece in the Mets trade but went with the former since I wasn't sure how much positive value Lauer has after his poor 2020 season but could easily swap out Houser for Lauer.
2. I think bringing in a David Phelps or Joakim Soria on a 1yr/$3MM deal is a great idea.
3. As for Vogelbach, I'm leaning towards his 2020 production to be an outlier similar to Jesus Aguilar's All-Star season so I'm looking to sell high on him. I am also a big fan of Wilmer Flores and think his solid numbers in 2020 are a sign on things to come.
4. Finally, yes, I meant Tim Lopes not Flores thank you for the correction.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 14, 2021, 1:26 PM Post
Global Moderator
brewcrewdue80 said:
wntrtxn21 said:
I wonder if the Crew could get Wendle from the Rays? The Rays have an abundance of corner infielders, but look to need OFs or pitching. Wendle appears to play a good 3B and is controllable for 3 years. They also have Nate Lowe at 1B who may be a target. Just throwing another possibility out there.

Wendle is a good mention for Tampa to trade. I don't know if he has any options, surprised he's 30yrs old already. Arbitration this year 1st time.
Looks like moved down the pecking order and is more a LH bat to be platooned vs RHP. Has experience at 2b and 3b even a little SS.

Lowe on the other hand, looks like a fixture for the future for Tampa at 1b. You might wonder on Ji-Man Choi reunion as a 1b fix for Milw. I don't know what the ask would be but being Tampa it'd probably hurt.

Another Rays infielder that I think could have a Jake Cronenworth-type breakout in 2021 is Mike Brosseau. He isn’t currently penciled in as a starter for the Rays, and he’ll be turning 27 before the start of the baseball season. It would no doubt be a risky play, but he is the type of infielder that could potentially become a solid everyday third baseman if given an opportunity to prove himself.

After trading Nate Lowe earlier this offseason it’s also possible the Rays don’t have interest in moving another infielder.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 15, 2021, 5:46 PM Post
Solved the arb cases by signing Woodruff and Hader to deals today. Time to get to business on the offseason.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  [ 188 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply