LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 75 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Shortstop Ha-Seong Kim to be Posted

Offline  Re: Shortstop Ha-Seong Kim to be Posted

Posted: October 14, 2020, 7:55 AM Post
Global Moderator
RWeeksFan23 said:
Eye Black said:
Profar is a switch hitter that has a strikeout rate among the very best in the league, can play all of the infield positions as well as the corner outfield, and is at the peak of the aging curve where plenty of players have their career years. If they could get him on a short-term deal then Jurickson Profar isn’t a bad gamble. I’d certainly rather have him on the roster than Gamel next year.

Who would you rather have, Ben Gamel for 2 mllion or Profar for at least 8 million?

Gamel 2018-20: 255/344/377 (95 wRC+) 26.4 K% (-1.3 BsR)
Profar 2018-20: 243/323/434 (101 wRC+) 14.5 K% (+8.5 BsR)

For me the switch hitting, positional versatility, contact ability & superior baserunning are worth an extra 6-7 million.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 14, 2020, 3:27 PM Post
sveumrules said:
RWeeksFan23 said:
Eye Black said:
Profar is a switch hitter that has a strikeout rate among the very best in the league, can play all of the infield positions as well as the corner outfield, and is at the peak of the aging curve where plenty of players have their career years. If they could get him on a short-term deal then Jurickson Profar isn’t a bad gamble. I’d certainly rather have him on the roster than Gamel next year.

Who would you rather have, Ben Gamel for 2 mllion or Profar for at least 8 million?

For me the switch hitting, positional versatility, contact ability & superior baserunning are worth an extra 6-7 million.

When you're a cash strapped team you can't afford the extra $6-7M luxury. Yes Profar offers a little more than Gamel, but not enough to justify the money on a team looking to cut payroll.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 15, 2020, 4:14 AM Post
MrTPlush said:
Judging by our luck with SS prospects in the Top 100 (or former) this century I think we should just sign a veteran to man the position...I think we are just cursed at this point.

Turang=Trea Turner but healthy!

Book it. Now...we just need to keep him off the top 100 lists.

(Ok, maybe not quite a healthy Trea Turner, but I think he's gonna be really good and a ideal leadoff hitter a few years down the road).

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 15, 2020, 4:19 AM Post
wntrtxn21 said:

When you're a cash strapped team you can't afford the extra $6-7M luxury. Yes Profar offers a little more than Gamel, but not enough to justify the money on a team looking to cut payroll.

Not based on past performance, but obviously if you believe Profar can still get better or play for a full season like he did in this past abbreviated season...then he's certainly worth it.

Switch hitter who was equally good from both sides this past year and can play every position aside from catcher.

Not arguing we should sign him as I really didn't watch him play much...and even if I had this past year, I don't have a large frame of reference to compare it to his past to see if he actually looks different, but if Stearns believes at 27, he still has upside, it's worth the risk.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 15, 2020, 5:22 AM Post
Global Moderator
wntrtxn21 said:
sveumrules said:
RWeeksFan23 said:

Cash strapped as they are, the Brewers will still probably sign a couple two tree free agents this offseason.

Given Stearns & company's affinity for flexibility, the possibility Profar still has some upside as a former top prospect hitting FA at a relatively young age & the likelihood he won't break the bank, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Jurickson ends up being one of them.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 15, 2020, 8:37 AM Post
Position versatility isn't exactly always a compliment. I know I have said it previously, but Profar really isn't versatile. He has played a bunch of positions (including the OF) because he is a poor defender...not because he is good.

He wouldn't be a terrible add, but we aren't grabbing him to play 3B or 2B a bunch. You could sneak him there occasionally, but you are asking for some truly horrid defense with him and Hiura on the field at the same time. He could be used at 1B/2B and then some LF, which would give him quite a few ABs in a full year. He can bat lefty so he would make some sense platooning a bit with Hiura. The only problem with that is you are then having absolutely terrible defense at 2B 24/7. He has barely played any RF/CF in his career so I am not sure how dependable he would be in that role. Guessing we would still need a more true OFer.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 15, 2020, 12:03 PM Post
MrTPlush said:
Guessing we would still need a more true OFer.

Maybe Grisham will be available.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 15, 2020, 12:44 PM Post
turborickey said:
MrTPlush said:
Guessing we would still need a more true OFer.

Maybe Grisham will be available.

Maybe they would be dumb enough to trade us Grisham/Davies as a package deal...we could use the reliable mid-rotation arm instead of back end filler like Eric Lauer.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 15, 2020, 1:25 PM Post
Global Moderator
So I heard SS/3B Ha-Seong Kim is going to be posted... Anyone interested in him? [wink]

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 15, 2020, 2:04 PM Post
Global Moderator
CheezWizHed said:
So I heard SS/3B Ha-Seong Kim is going to be posted... Anyone interested in him? [wink]

That's great news! I'm in!! [laughing]

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 15, 2020, 2:04 PM Post
CheezWizHed said:

Ummm, isn't that what this thread is all about?

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 15, 2020, 3:55 PM Post
turborickey said:
CheezWizHed said:

Ummm, isn't that what this thread is all about?

Allegedly.

But on the topic of Kim, it’d be a really fun addition and possibly the highest ceiling of a guy that could be in the Brewers price range. Who knows how the market actually plays out in the end though, of course.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 23, 2020, 6:27 AM Post
We all saw first hand that an approach like the Brewers employed last year simply doesn't work. You can't plug holes with a lot of veterans who have had some good years but on the whole are cheap because they haven't produced year in and year out. Smoak? Sure he'd had some very good seasons, but he was at a point in his career where he had become a nomad. Gyorko was the only one that turned out but there's no guaranty he'll be as productive next year. Vogelbach turned out but he was a zero risk, and still young enough to establish stronger ties to this organization.

If they have some money to allocate to veteran nomads, I'd prefer they focus on Kim instead.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 23, 2020, 8:39 AM Post
JohnBriggs12 said:
We all saw first hand that an approach like the Brewers employed last year simply doesn't work. You can't plug holes with a lot of veterans who have had some good years but on the whole are cheap because they haven't produced year in and year out. Smoak? Sure he'd had some very good seasons, but he was at a point in his career where he had become a nomad. Gyorko was the only one that turned out but there's no guaranty he'll be as productive next year. Vogelbach turned out but he was a zero risk, and still young enough to establish stronger ties to this organization.

If they have some money to allocate to veteran nomads, I'd prefer they focus on Kim instead.

I certainly agree that the great journeymen experiment of 2020 was a disaster. But I just can't see them even considering Kim. The estimated contract for Kim is 4/$60-65M plus an additional $12M posting fee to his old Korean team. Anything close to those numbers puts him way, way out of Stearns' reach.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 23, 2020, 2:22 PM Post
I agree. I imagine even just the posting fee takes the Brewers out the picture. No fans this year, no guarantee on season this year, financial nightmare. I would expect 15mil in total given out to contracts for Milwaukee. The way they spend more is finding a team that wants Cain or Garcia without parting with money in trade.

Book it Seong-Kim will go to the Angels.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 24, 2020, 3:19 PM Post
Global Moderator
The only thing the Brewers approach in 2020 proved was that it didn't work in 2020.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 26, 2020, 12:12 PM Post
homer said:
The only thing the Brewers approach in 2020 proved was that it didn't work in 2020.

I can't believe this has to be stated, but, alas, it does.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 26, 2020, 12:16 PM Post
MrTPlush said:
At the end of last season David Stearn’s pretty much hung out the SS position to dry, which as we know, was mostly Arcia in 2019.

I’m guessing they really didn’t want Arcia starting and probably didn’t want him on the team in all honesty. Of course the FA market didn’t work out and we simply scooped up Urias to give some competition and possibly take over.

Last year he was only slightly over $2mil, next year he will see a decent raise. If that number goes over $4mil I wonder if they may just cut bait and not have him on the team next year.

Stearns wanted Urias. He traded for him before any free agents signed with anyone. Urias had a rough year injury-wise, but I think it's pretty foolish to dismiss him given his age and track record.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 27, 2020, 8:01 AM Post
StearnsFTW said:
MrTPlush said:
At the end of last season David Stearn’s pretty much hung out the SS position to dry, which as we know, was mostly Arcia in 2019.

I’m guessing they really didn’t want Arcia starting and probably didn’t want him on the team in all honesty. Of course the FA market didn’t work out and we simply scooped up Urias to give some competition and possibly take over.

Last year he was only slightly over $2mil, next year he will see a decent raise. If that number goes over $4mil I wonder if they may just cut bait and not have him on the team next year.

Stearns wanted Urias. He traded for him before any free agents signed with anyone. Urias had a rough year injury-wise, but I think it's pretty foolish to dismiss him given his age and track record.

Urias had two very good offensive years at El Paso in a good hitters environment. But he hasn't done much of anything in over 400 major league PA and this season Arcia was by far the better offensive player and I'd take Arcia's defense at SS over Urias. It's too early to give up on him, but he hasn't shown enough to hand him a job either. The ideal situation is that he suddenly finds his AAA form and he becomes an option at 3B.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 28, 2020, 7:20 AM Post
The ideal situation to me is that he proves he can handle shortstop and Arcia gets out of my life once and for all.

3B of course is still a problem, but I'd like to think they can find a 3B better than Arcia.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 75 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply