LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 71 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Any real talk or Rumors for the Crew

Offline  Re: Any real talk or Rumors for the Crew

Posted: January 06, 2021, 3:33 PM Post
brewcrewdue80 said:
Do we have a date when Arbitration happens for Hader and Woodruff?

Ok looking it up sounds like Jan 15 is the date to submit what teams are willing to pay a player and for players to submit what they believe should earn. Then mid February if they hadn't come to an agreed salary, the arbitration hearing would begin.

That's where I think action takes place. After a 60game season, salary increases won't be normal. Or will they? Seems a lot of Arb eligibles are still without a contract. You clear this up and teams such as the Brewers will have an understanding of what payroll they have to work with. And/or the trade value tied to a Josh Hader for example. Is he going to make 8-10mil next season? Or 5.5-7? Counsell believed Hader should have won 6.4mil his first go. So jumping to 10mil doesnt seem like a reach. Youre talking price difference around an early 1st rd pick to early 2nd rd pick value. Or a full tier below class of prospect return. At that point if its worst case scenario, they keep Hader and pay the man til the end and let him go at FA. The worst would also mean the end of FA signings over 2mil. They'd probably settle with minors sign and invites with strong chances to win 1b or 3b role. Woodruff is also on the Arb process which has to be near a 2mil space once submissions happen. On worst case scenario that's a combined 4-6.5mil nearly a Blake Treinen deal the Dodgers just handed out.
Teams that are buying right now how many arb guys tbd do they have? Maybe they don't have any significant one or any at all so payroll is easy to spend.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 07, 2021, 6:21 AM Post
Jopal78! said:
As for trading minor league talent for major league players; the moves to bolster the major league roster the last three years with Yelich, Swarzak, Moustakas, Schoop, Soria, Gio Gonzalez, Jordan Lyles, Pomeranz, etc. has left their minor league system virtually devoid of premium talent which is an impediment to making a trade to bring aboard an established veteran.

How so? You could say that after the Yelich trade a number of years ago but if the Brewers are void of premium talent now it isn't because of previous trades. In hindsight they didn't give up much of anything, certainly not premium talent.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 07, 2021, 3:32 PM Post
https://twitter.com/haudricourt/status/ ... 32196?s=21

I wonder how many bargain bin deals this would mean

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 07, 2021, 3:46 PM Post
narwhalattack said:
https://twitter.com/haudricourt/status/1347294464948232196?s=21

Of course he's gonna say that.

He's not gonna admit he's not doing anything and getting paid for it.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 07, 2021, 3:50 PM Post
narwhalattack said:

Doesn't really say anything though Haudricourt isn't really the best source for Brewers rumors or speculations. He hardly ever breaks anything concerning the Brewers actually I can't remember when Tom was the first to report anything on the Brewers that wasn't just a press release for the Brewers. The Brewers have actually become even more tight lipped in terms of information on who they are going after.

Cain, Grandal, and Yelich being the prime examples of very little to nothing was heard about the Brewers pursuing these players until they were just about to sign. I did find it interesting that a team was looking at Semien to play 3B I think that was the Brewers. The Brewers are not going to be in on Bauer or the other top tier free agents but Joc Pederson has been linked to the Brewers and I wouldn't be surprised if someone like Profar, La Stella and others at some become linked to the Brewers. I think the Brewers are going to get a bargain on a starting pitcher on someone like Tanaka, Quintana or Odorizzi not sexy names in free agency but definitely guys that could be had on a bargain <$10m a year.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 07, 2021, 3:52 PM Post
Global Moderator
Nate is right- the Brewers leak nothing about their stuff. This is Tom obtaining a quote that he can put out that is as non-committal and vague as possible to fill space in a reporting dead-zone.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 07, 2021, 3:56 PM Post
nate82 said:
narwhalattack said:

Doesn't really say anything though Haudricourt isn't really the best source for Brewers rumors or speculations. He hardly ever breaks anything concerning the Brewers actually I can't remember when Tom was the first to report anything on the Brewers that wasn't just a press release for the Brewers. The Brewers have actually become even more tight lipped in terms of information on who they are going after.

Cain, Grandal, and Yelich being the prime examples of very little to nothing was heard about the Brewers pursuing these players until they were just about to sign. I did find it interesting that a team was looking at Semien to play 3B I think that was the Brewers. The Brewers are not going to be in on Bauer or the other top tier free agents but Joc Pederson has been linked to the Brewers and I wouldn't be surprised if someone like Profar, La Stella and others at some become linked to the Brewers. I think the Brewers are going to get a bargain on a starting pitcher on someone like Tanaka, Quintana or Odorizzi not sexy names in free agency but definitely guys that could be had on a bargain <$10m a year.

Tanaka said its Yankees or back to Japan.

And Odorizzi is said to be looking for a 3 yr deal.

Honestly, I dont see us signing any of low high to middle tier pitchers... IF we sign a pitcher it will be lowest tier, Brett Anderson type pitcher.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 07, 2021, 3:59 PM Post
Global Moderator
BestInTheWorld said:

Honestly, I dont see us signing any of low high to middle tier pitchers... IF we sign a pitcher it will be lowest tier, Brett Anderson type pitcher.

Brett Anderson got a guaranteed major league deal, that is not the lowest tier.

The lowest tier would be a minor league deal, like we signed Wade Miley to prior to the 2018 season.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 07, 2021, 4:34 PM Post
Global Moderator
Regarding the new Stearns quote from Haudricourt linked above: He said he is "actively engaged in conversations on a variety of fronts. I expect some of them will ultimately come to fruition although predicting the timing is always difficult."

I think historically Stearns has actually been truthful when it comes to whether or not he has anything in the works. They've done a great job of not leaking the specifics of what they're working on, but he has at times indicated trade dialogue either is or isn't taking place behind the scenes. Last month he said, "I don't think we're on the doorstep of anything". In previous off-seasons he's used similar terminology at various times, while usually adding something about "productive conversations" that could set the table for something later on. This time he seems to be indicating something is presumably closer to happening.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 07, 2021, 8:04 PM Post
Garrett Anderson? and or at this point take T Walker for the Rotation.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 07, 2021, 8:24 PM Post
BestInTheWorld said:

Tanaka did not say this he actually clarified he is not limiting it to just the Yankees.
https://www.mlb.com/news/masahiro-tanaka-rumors

Odorizzi maybe looking for a 3-year deal but I doubt he gets it.

Also Anderson wouldn't be the lowest tier type of a pitcher he would be in the middle tier of pitchers.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 08, 2021, 8:59 AM Post
brewmann04 said:

Garret Anderson spent the majority of his career in left field. And he's 48 years old.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 08, 2021, 9:53 AM Post
brewmann04 said:

Are you meaning Garrett Richards? Huge injury risk since he's missed most of 2016-2017-2018-2019 with injuries and recovery issues. Maybe a small non-guaranteed contract, but nothing more IMO.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 08, 2021, 12:57 PM Post
Ron Robinson's Beard said:
brewmann04 said:

Garret Anderson spent the majority of his career in left field. And he's 48 years old.

I laughed at this so thank you.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 08, 2021, 2:59 PM Post
wntrtxn21 said:
brewmann04 said:

Are you meaning Garrett Richards? Huge injury risk since he's missed most of 2016-2017-2018-2019 with injuries and recovery issues. Maybe a small non-guaranteed contract, but nothing more IMO.

Sounds like our kind of signing.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 08, 2021, 4:31 PM Post
I really liked Garrett Anderson back at the time. I hope they don't sign him now.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 08, 2021, 4:41 PM Post
nate82 said:
narwhalattack said:

Doesn't really say anything though Haudricourt isn't really the best source for Brewers rumors or speculations. He hardly ever breaks anything concerning the Brewers actually I can't remember when Tom was the first to report anything on the Brewers that wasn't just a press release for the Brewers. The Brewers have actually become even more tight lipped in terms of information on who they are going after....

So many people love to rip thoughtlessly on Haudricourt. It's tired at minimum, cheap at best. I doubt if any of us were in TH's shoes, we'd be privy to any more info we could report that he doesn't. Beat writers also get some off-the-record info but they'd be foolish to put it out there -- yeah, they'd get props at first for leaking it, but they'd screw themselves out of future scoops (and really the chances to do their job in the way they'd most want to) because they broke their sources' trust. It's a balancing act that requires intelligence and respect.

It's pretty obvious the national writers that break stuff have sources that are more often connected to agents and other angles that many local beat writers don't.

The WI sports writers still end up breaking fewer big Packers scoops than Mortensen, Schefter, and other national guys. Why are Packers beat writers above criticism?

Stearns' comments today seem pretty encouraging. He's usually pretty honest in his overall characterizations of off-season activity. And he's equally adept at not compromising his bargaining leverage or breaking tampering rules.

Last edited by MNBrew on January 08, 2021, 5:40 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 08, 2021, 5:30 PM Post
MNBrew said:
So many people love to rip thoughtlessly on Haudricourt. I doubt if any of us were in TH's shoes, we'd be privy to any more info we could report that he doesn't. Beat writers also get some off-the-record info but they'd be foolish to put it out there -- yeah, they'd get props at first for leaking it, but they'd screw themselves out of future scoops (and really the chances to do their job in the way they'd most want to) because they broke their sources' trust. It's a balancing act that requires intelligence and respect.

It's pretty obvious the national writers that break stuff have sources that are more often connected to agents and other angles that many local beat writers don't.

That is why I said Haudricourt isn't a good source for rumors or speculations he won't be breaking things like that. He is basically a press release guy for the Brewers. Haudricourt gets ripped thoughtlessly because he is kind of a donkey at times when he interacts with fans even ones that ask legit questions to him.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 08, 2021, 5:47 PM Post
nate82 said:
MNBrew said:
So many people love to rip thoughtlessly on Haudricourt. I doubt if any of us were in TH's shoes, we'd be privy to any more info we could report that he doesn't. Beat writers also get some off-the-record info but they'd be foolish to put it out there -- yeah, they'd get props at first for leaking it, but they'd screw themselves out of future scoops (and really the chances to do their job in the way they'd most want to) because they broke their sources' trust. It's a balancing act that requires intelligence and respect.

That is why I said Haudricourt isn't a good source for rumors or speculations he won't be breaking things like that. He is basically a press release guy for the Brewers. Haudricourt gets ripped thoughtlessly because he is kind of a donkey at times when he interacts with fans even ones that ask legit questions to him.

Personality is a different issue than the limitations facing many beat writers & I'm not defending his personality. But he reports what he can. My point was that too many people rip how he does his job because they're jaded by his personality issues/clashes and they blur the two things that are separate.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 08, 2021, 7:22 PM Post
Tom Haudricourt sucks at more than just breaking rumors. Just my opinion, but I think he just flat out sucks at his job. Reporting on the Brewers in Milwaukee isn’t the best gig for reporting...but I never see people complain about someone like Adam McCalvy.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 71 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply