LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 71 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Any real talk or Rumors for the Crew

Offline  Re: Any real talk or Rumors for the Crew

Posted: January 08, 2021, 8:13 PM Post
I guess people are allowed their Opinions especially the ones that are not even in the Business.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 08, 2021, 8:16 PM Post
Yes made a mistake with the Guys last name sorry but glad everyone got a chuckle and still knows who i meant and that the type of arm they usually add.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 10, 2021, 7:19 AM Post
MrTPlush said:
Tom Haudricourt sucks at more than just breaking rumors. Just my opinion, but I think he just flat out sucks at his job. Reporting on the Brewers in Milwaukee isn’t the best gig for reporting...but I never see people complain about someone like Adam McCalvy.

Alienating half of your followers by pushing politics when you are a sports writer will do that.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 10, 2021, 3:29 PM Post
MrTPlush said:
Tom Haudricourt sucks at more than just breaking rumors. Just my opinion, but I think he just flat out sucks at his job. Reporting on the Brewers in Milwaukee isn’t the best gig for reporting...but I never see people complain about someone like Adam McCalvy.

I've heard players off the record complain about him.

I've never complained about either. If you look at both sites, they write virtually the same articles each day. Neither is better or worse than the other. McCalvy does fan mailbags which might reveal some nuggets, but they also present speculation. Haudricourt treats his job more as a journalist...that means not publishing unsubstantiated things, not giving opinions, etc. In this modern age, the general public is having their appetites fed by rumor mongering and speculation, not actual journalists reporting news. That's true in both sports and general (especially political news, where more people trust social media and forwarded email lies rather than truth). Let's be honest, Haudricourt is a good journalist, but bad a rumor mongering, speculation, and breaking news.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 10, 2021, 3:34 PM Post
DHonks said:
MrTPlush said:

I've heard players off the record complain about him.

I've never complained about either. If you look at both sites, they write virtually the same articles each day. Neither is better or worse than the other. McCalvy does fan mailbags which might reveal some nuggets, but they also present speculation. Haudricourt treats his job more as a journalist...that means not publishing unsubstantiated things, not giving opinions, etc. In this modern age, the general public is having their appetites fed by rumor mongering and speculation, not actual journalists reporting news. That's true in both sports and general (especially political news, where more people trust social media and forwarded email lies rather than truth). Let's be honest, Haudricourt is a good journalist, but bad a rumor mongering, speculation, and breaking news.

Yep, his gamers and player/organization features are fine, and often good. I think a lot of people are basing their thoughts on him off of his Twitter persona. He's a curmudgeon, but then, a lot of baseball beat guys are like that.

You are correct ... he doesn't go into rumors and rarely gives opinions on the team, which I actually appreciate. A beat writer shouldn't be giving his opinions on the team.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 10, 2021, 3:57 PM Post
I don't know about most on here, but I grew up loving Sportscenter in the 90s. There was almost no analysis, speculation, etc. It was presented by two anchors presenting the sports news. It was a highlight show. As time went on, these shows became dominated by analysis and speculation led by former players insiders that break news.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 10, 2021, 4:27 PM Post
DHonks said:
I don't know about most on here, but I grew up loving Sportscenter in the 90s. There was almost no analysis, speculation, etc. It was presented by two anchors presenting the sports news. It was a highlight show. As time went on, these shows became dominated by analysis and speculation led by former players insiders that break news.

This could describe the evolution of media coverage in general, not just sports. Things were different when there wasn't such incessant 24-hour news & sports coverage.

Another major sea change came about when ESPN (or was it the NBA?) decided to market the individual players instead of the teams -- sad timing with the shift across the '90s into that much more of a "me first" society, which got into way too many players' heads in many sports that they were more important than their team (one could argue that it started a decade earlier when record labels went after lead singers of successful bands to break away into solo careers).

.... Not to sound like a total curmudgeon here, but I'm at least old enough to notice the interconnectedness of these shifts. Some of the shifts have borne very positive & fan-friendly results (availability of news, scoops, & forums where folks like us can dive headlong into our favorite team). But there are down sides within it all, too.

And... to loop it back to the topic at hand, I'm so glad we're getting into the heart of January because there are tons of unsigned FAs & the Brewers have some distinct needs, so I'm very eagerly anticipating some Brewers good news in the coming weeks. The lack of it up to now is akin to fasting while trying to peer through the grocery store windows.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 10, 2021, 7:10 PM Post
MNBrew said:
DHonks said:

This could describe the evolution of media coverage in general, not just sports. Things were different when there wasn't such incessant 24-hour news & sports coverage.

Another major sea change came about when ESPN (or was it the NBA?) decided to market the individual players instead of the teams -- sad timing with the shift across the '90s into that much more of a "me first" society, which got into way too many players' heads in many sports that they were more important than their team (one could argue that it started a decade earlier when record labels went after lead singers of successful bands to break away into solo careers).

.... Not to sound like a total curmudgeon here, but I'm at least old enough to notice the interconnectedness of these shifts. Some of the shifts have borne very positive & fan-friendly results (availability of news, scoops, & forums where folks like us can dive headlong into our favorite team). But there are down sides within it all, too.

And... to loop it back to the topic at hand, I'm so glad we're getting into the heart of January because there are tons of unsigned FAs & the Brewers have some distinct needs, so I'm very eagerly anticipating some Brewers good news in the coming weeks. The lack of it up to now is akin to fasting while trying to peer through the grocery store windows.

back to my point, Haudricourt is a fine journalist. Many fans want him to be something else

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 10, 2021, 7:24 PM Post
Totally agree about Tom and Rumors

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 10, 2021, 11:43 PM Post
DHonks said:
Back to my point, Haudricourt is a fine journalist. Many fans want him to be something else.

That's a much more direct way of making the point. Thanks. I agree and still took a tangent.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 11, 2021, 1:01 PM Post
MNBrew said:
DHonks said:
Back to my point, Haudricourt is a fine journalist. Many fans want him to be something else.

That's a much more direct way of making the point. Thanks. I agree and still took a tangent.

I’m the same way...normally if I can write it in 20 words, I’ll use 200. Totally agree that this is the news cycle in general.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 12, 2021, 9:42 AM Post
I saw a report this morning that said that with Manfred speaking out yesterday telling teams to prepare as if Spring Training will begin on time next month, it is believed that a large swath of fringy-type players (and perhaps some that are above that level) are expected to sign split contracts in the coming week in order to map out their futures and get into high-gear offseason training.

It's David Stearns season, everyone!!!

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 12, 2021, 5:56 PM Post
This is at least a change of pace. Some of the White Sox Twitterati think the Brewers or Reds and the Sox could be working on a trade involving Nick Madrigal, Codi Heuer and others package for a starting pitcher.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 12, 2021, 6:25 PM Post
Brewers Numbers said:
This is at least a change of pace. Some of the White Sox Twitterati think the Brewers or Reds and the Sox could be working on a trade involving Nick Madrigal, Codi Heuer and others package for a starting pitcher.

Woodruff and Burns aren’t going anywhere so can’t imagine who it would be on the Brewers end. Peralta? Hauser? Hader would probably make more sense but not sure if the White Sox would be after Hader after just signing Hendriks.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 12, 2021, 6:36 PM Post
wibadgers23 said:
Brewers Numbers said:

Woodruff and Burns aren’t going anywhere so can’t imagine who it would be on the Brewers end. Peralta? Hauser? Hader would probably make more sense but not sure if the White Sox would be after Hader after just signing Hendriks.

The number of people who think its Woody is hilarious. [laughing] I'm thinking it's more likely with the Reds with Gray being the target for Madrigal and Heuer.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 12, 2021, 7:30 PM Post
Global Moderator
Brewers Numbers said:
The number of people who think its Woody is hilarious. [laughing] I'm thinking it's more likely with the Reds with Gray being the target for Madrigal and Heuer.

Their fans have been speculating the White Sox are trying to get Woodruff since the trade deadline this past season. The funny part is they are grossly underestimating what an opening offer would need to be just to get the conversation started. I won’t say they wouldn’t listen on offers for him, but the Brewers certainly aren’t trading Woodruff for a Madrigal caliber headliner.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 12, 2021, 7:46 PM Post
Eye Black said:
Brewers Numbers said:

Their fans have been speculating the White Sox are trying to get Woodruff since the trade deadline this past season. The funny part is they are grossly underestimating what an opening offer would need to be just to get the conversation started. I won’t say they wouldn’t listen on offers for him, but the Brewers certainly aren’t trading Woodruff for a Madrigal caliber headliner.

Right now they think Heuer is the headliner.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 12, 2021, 10:08 PM Post
There is no way the Crew trading their Young Ace.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 12, 2021, 11:55 PM Post
MNBrew said:
nate82 said:
narwhalattack said:
https://twitter.com/haudricourt/status/1347294464948232196?s=21

I wonder how many bargain bin deals this would mean

Doesn't really say anything though Haudricourt isn't really the best source for Brewers rumors or speculations. He hardly ever breaks anything concerning the Brewers actually I can't remember when Tom was the first to report anything on the Brewers that wasn't just a press release for the Brewers. The Brewers have actually become even more tight lipped in terms of information on who they are going after....

So many people love to rip thoughtlessly on Haudricourt. It's tired at minimum, cheap at best. I doubt if any of us were in TH's shoes, we'd be privy to any more info we could report that he doesn't. Beat writers also get some off-the-record info but they'd be foolish to put it out there -- yeah, they'd get props at first for leaking it, but they'd screw themselves out of future scoops (and really the chances to do their job in the way they'd most want to) because they broke their sources' trust. It's a balancing act that requires intelligence and respect.

It's pretty obvious the national writers that break stuff have sources that are more often connected to agents and other angles that many local beat writers don't.

The WI sports writers still end up breaking fewer big Packers scoops than Mortensen, Schefter, and other national guys. Why are Packers beat writers above criticism?

Stearns' comments today seem pretty encouraging. He's usually pretty honest in his overall characterizations of off-season activity. And he's equally adept at not compromising his bargaining leverage or breaking tampering rules.

Haudricourt's personality just really sucks for his job. He's brash and condescending, and on the flip side, he has extremely thin skin and will shut down and block you if you upset him in any way.

I understand that he's not going to be big on breaking news and I don't care about that. McCalvy and Rosiak don't do any more of that than Tom H, and as Plush said, you don't hear anyone complaining about them.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 13, 2021, 12:51 PM Post
Brewers Numbers said:

I'll take Madrigal and Vaughn off their hands for Hader, but definitely not for Woody.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 71 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply