LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next  [ 297 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Filling Out the Roster

Offline  Re: Filling Out the Roster
Posted: February 03, 2021, 2:29 PM Post
Definitely didnt see Keston as our 2021 1B but with Wong in the fold now... I would love to see us add Gyorko and Rich Hill yet.

Hill could be exactly what our rotation needs.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Filling Out the Roster
Posted: February 04, 2021, 10:44 AM Post
BestInTheWorld said:
Definitely didnt see Keston as our 2021 1B but with Wong in the fold now... I would love to see us add Gyorko and Rich Hill yet.

Hill could be exactly what our rotation needs.

Not Gyroko now. Both Robertson and Urias hit righthanded, and moving Hiura to 1B moves Vogelbach into a once or twice a week player. Wong is LH but he doesn't have much power so other than maybe Navarez, where's the everyday LH power bat to compliment Yelich?

Unless they shock everyone and sign Turner, I think you look at the three LH hitting 3B still out there to platoon at 3B. Some very familiar names on that list including Travis Shaw and Brad Miller. Other guy is Jake Lamb. I kind of think the guy who seems to fit is Miller though Lamb may have the higher ceiling. Miller was reasonably useful and steady for Cardinals last year and can float around the infield if need be. I know he failed with Brewers in 2018 but I think he might welcome a second chance.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 04, 2021, 10:56 AM Post
Didnt realize Miller was a FA, I guess I could get behind a Miller/Robertson platoon at 3B.

For some reason, I just think Stearns signed Robertson to be our everyday 3B... Otherwise I think we would have added someone other than him... He must believe in what Robertson can be.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 04, 2021, 11:04 AM Post
BestInTheWorld said:
Didnt realize Miller was a FA, I guess I could get behind a Miller/Robertson platoon at 3B.

For some reason, I just think Stearns signed Robertson to be our everyday 3B... Otherwise I think we would have added someone other than him... He must believe in what Robertson can be.

Stearns' acquisition of Robertson very much reminds me of Doug Melvin grabbing Keith Ginter back in 2002 and Casey McGehee in 2009. Both were eventually replaced by more high-profile and higher upside players (Rickie Weeks and Aramis Ramirez), but both were also astute acquisitions who played well in their time as Brewers. If Robertson can provide similar production to what those two did, I'd be very happy.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 04, 2021, 11:07 AM Post
Taking a closer look at the 25 3B listed as free agents still (https://www.fangraphs.com/roster-resour ... er?&pos=3b)

2018-20 Defensively:

2018-20 vs. RHP:

2018-20 vs. LHP:

Is Shaw still buddies with anyone on the team? He actually looks like he'd be a nice fit to return defensively and against RHP. Otherwise, Asdrubel Cabrera, Marwin Gonzalez, Brad Miller, Todd Frazier, Renato Nunez, or possibly a Brock Holt retry could all make some sense as guys that can hit RHP a bit and be okay defensively (although I also read Nunez is strictly a DH places even though his stats seem okay-ish - also I'm assuming Jed Lowrie is just broke at this point?).

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Filling Out the Roster
Posted: February 04, 2021, 11:21 AM Post
A Miller/Robertson platoon could be quite decent. If Robertson turned out to be this generation's Casey McGehee I'd be shocked only because his AAA numbers (.725 OPS) don't seem to portend great success in the majors.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 04, 2021, 11:26 AM Post
Global Moderator
MrAllen said:
Is Shaw still buddies with anyone on the team? He actually looks like he'd be a nice fit to return defensively and against RHP. .

There have been rumors that the Shaw/Milwaukee breakup wasn't particularly amicable. Not sure if there's any legitimacy to that or whether it's just assumptions, though.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 04, 2021, 11:27 AM Post
I'm assuming Urias just becomes the all over guy. Can start at 3B, SS, and 2B to spell all of our infielders. The only issue is he seemingly only hits left handed pitching so that helps Wong. Not sure about the other two positions.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 04, 2021, 11:54 AM Post
Wow, didnt except to see Brad Miller as #3 in the offense numbers... I will gladly take either him or Asdrubal to platoon with Robertson at 3B.

Miller/Robertson
or
Cabrera/Robertson

Could be nice production, although Cabrera is a switch hitter so wouldnt it just make sense to have him at 3B everyday? But then Robertson and Urias would both become utility guys, we don't need two of them on the bench.

Just make Urias the everyday SS and trade Arcia for whatever you can get... Or keep Arcia and bring in Miller, I'm fine with either.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 04, 2021, 12:00 PM Post
I think Shaw's three-year numbers are a bit skewed by 2018, considering he is a player who seemingly fell off a cliff starting in 2019. Plus a Brewers reunion seems unlikely.

Robertson looks good on those charts, but his career is a relatively small sample size. I'm not sure we can rely on him to hit that well over a full season.

Asdrubal Cabrera is the most attractive to me. He always seems underrated considering how well he hits for a capable 3B/2B/SS. He's 35 years old now, but a 1-year deal to help us see what we have with Urias would be perfect.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 04, 2021, 12:30 PM Post
SRB said:
I think Shaw's three-year numbers are a bit skewed by 2018, considering he is a player who seemingly fell off a cliff starting in 2019. Plus a Brewers reunion seems unlikely.

Robertson looks good on those charts, but his career is a relatively small sample size. I'm not sure we can rely on him to hit that well over a full season.

Asdrubal Cabrera is the most attractive to me. He always seems underrated considering how well he hits for a capable 3B/2B/SS. He's 35 years old now, but a 1-year deal to help us see what we have with Urias would be perfect.

I could also see Marwin Gonzalez, Stearns knows him well... I'm definitely on board with adding Gonzalez or Cabrera on a 1 yr deal.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 04, 2021, 12:54 PM Post
BestInTheWorld said:
SRB said:

I could also see Marwin Gonzalez, Stearns knows him well... I'm definitely on board with adding Gonzalez or Cabrera on a 1 yr deal.

Outside of his one season where he knew what pitches were coming, he has been a slightly below average player. I wouldn’t mind him if it’s something along the lines of one year for $3-4 million, but I would prefer Cabrera for $5-6 million as I see him as a better all around player.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 04, 2021, 2:12 PM Post
PeaveyFury said:
MrAllen said:
Is Shaw still buddies with anyone on the team? He actually looks like he'd be a nice fit to return defensively and against RHP. .

There have been rumors that the Shaw/Milwaukee breakup wasn't particularly amicable. Not sure if there's any legitimacy to that or whether it's just assumptions, though.

Travis did respond to a tweet last month about being open to it:

https://twitter.com/travis_shaw21/status/1349846574269141000

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 04, 2021, 2:22 PM Post
Global Moderator
Jastro said:
PeaveyFury said:
MrAllen said:

Travis did respond to a tweet last month about being open to it:

https://twitter.com/travis_shaw21/status/1349846574269141000

Good to hear- thanks for sharing.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 04, 2021, 2:28 PM Post
Hmm interesting, I would gladly give Travis another shot.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 04, 2021, 2:52 PM Post
SRB said:
I think Shaw's three-year numbers are a bit skewed by 2018, considering he is a player who seemingly fell off a cliff starting in 2019.

This is a very fair point. Taking a closer look, while he wasn't a disaster he didn't really bounce back to his "normal" self last year. Interestingly, he actually had better splits against LHP last year too (with the obligatory small sample size caveat):

Might still be a consideration with his defense and the fact he's still only 30. So maybe there's still a comeback year in there for him. Probably not the top choice at this point, but if he can be had on the cheap, could be an interesting possibility still.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 04, 2021, 4:16 PM Post
While not a total bounce back, I would have no issue bringing Shaw back on a minimum minor league deal to be in the mix at 3B and a backup at 1B. His slash in 2020 of .239/.306/.717 is pretty close to Robertson's career slash in Tampa (.231/.340/.692).

An invite to Spring Training is a no-risk proposition to me.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 04, 2021, 4:37 PM Post
How about separate trades for Hader and Hiura that would get us a legit 1B and 3B:
Brewers trade Hiura, Mitchell, Small and Medina to Cleveland for Ramirez
Brewers trade Hader to the Mets for Dominic Smith and Thomas Szapucki
Then go sign Paxton or Taijuan Walker to a 2 year, $15 million deal (approx. equivalent to Hader's salary)

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 04, 2021, 5:44 PM Post
wibadgers23 said:
How about separate trades for Hader and Hiura that would get us a legit 1B and 3B:
Brewers trade Hiura, Mitchell, Small and Medina to Cleveland for Ramirez
Brewers trade Hader to the Mets for Dominic Smith and Thomas Szapucki
Then go sign Paxton or Taijuan Walker to a 2 year, $15 million deal (approx. equivalent to Hader's salary)

That would be amazing. Might want a little more from the Mets, and might need to give up a little more to the Indians (I don't think they're motivated to move Ramirez at all), but I would be very excited for the season to start.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 04, 2021, 5:53 PM Post
I am not sure the Red Sox would do this but....

Brewers get:
Devers and Seabold

Red Sox get:
Hiura and Houser

The Red Sox are pitching starved right now and Houser would fill in as a good #4 or #5 starter for them. Hiura fits in nicely at Fenway and could be an excellent DH for them.

For the Brewers it solves the 3B issue and brings in another young control pitcher that the Brewers seem to like. Seabold could replace Houser in the rotation as he finished the 2019 season in AA.

Next trade:

Brewers get:
Pavin Smith (1B)

Dbacks get:
Small (LHP)

This gives the Brewers a young 1B in Smith who is currently blocked by Walker and potentially be passed up by Beer.

Probably all long shot trades but I am bored so why not.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next  [ 297 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply