LambeauLeap1250 WSSP


  
 [ 15 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Kris Bryant Trade Rumors

Author Message
Offline  Kris Bryant Trade Rumors
#1

Posted: January 09, 2021, 1:26 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 8661
There is some vague speculation that Kris Bryant could be traded very soon.

Via Bleacher Nation, There is “Industry Chatter” That Kris Bryant Could Be Traded “As Soon As This Weekend”

Here is more from SNY’s Andy Martino, Mets and Cubs’ Kris Bryant trade talks ended weeks ago; Bryant could soon be dealt elsewhere


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Kris Bryant Trade Rumors
#2

Posted: January 09, 2021, 2:12 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 6261
Location: Phoenix, AZ
I think the Nationals make the most sense here. Even with them signing Schwarber they still have a hole at 3B which Bryant would fill for them. The Nationals have already been connected with Bryant earlier in the off season but I don't think the return is going to be all that great for the Cubs in this trade if the Cubs are not taking on part of Bryant's salary.

If I am the Mets or the Blue Jays I am looking at Suarez first before Bryant. I believe teams are not sold on Bryant being healthy or if he can be the player he was in 2017-2018. Bryant is probably more along the lines of what he was in 2019 than what he was earlier in his career. It is hard to find the market for Bryant as his value is unknown right now as he just has a lot of question marks around him.

I think the Cubs will only get low level prospects for Bryant and it will be far less than what they got in return in trading Darvish.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Kris Bryant Trade Rumors
#3

Posted: January 09, 2021, 2:32 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 15278
Location: Milwaukee, WI
I wish we would do this. Talk about filling a hole in our team.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Kris Bryant Trade Rumors
#4

Posted: January 09, 2021, 2:39 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 3312
If you thought the Darvish & Lindor returns were underwhelming, wait until you see the Bryant return.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Kris Bryant Trade Rumors
#5

Posted: January 09, 2021, 3:07 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 8661
Via Jon Heyman this afternoon:

Cubs continue to listen to offers for Kris Bryant and Willson Contreras. Angels make sense as possibility for Contreras due to Joe Maddon link as Ken Rosenthal said. Nothing more concrete known yet.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Kris Bryant Trade Rumors
#6

Posted: January 09, 2021, 4:10 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 6261
Location: Phoenix, AZ
This is going to be a rebuild and I am not sure why the Cubs are not calling it one.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Kris Bryant Trade Rumors
#7

Posted: January 09, 2021, 4:55 PM Post
Posts: 827
sveumrules said:
If you thought the Darvish & Lindor returns were underwhelming, wait until you see the Bryant return.


I’ll be a bit generous. Let’s offer them two potatoes [laughing]


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Kris Bryant Trade Rumors
#8

Posted: January 09, 2021, 5:16 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 15278
Location: Milwaukee, WI
I get that inter-division trades are tough but the Brewers should be all over this one.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Kris Bryant Trade Rumors
#9

Posted: January 10, 2021, 12:12 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 10315
I really doubt the Cubs will trade with the Crew.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Kris Bryant Trade Rumors
#10

Posted: January 10, 2021, 11:38 AM Post
Posts: 12509
nate82 said:
This is going to be a rebuild and I am not sure why the Cubs are not calling it one.


The Cubs are cash strapped because they invested a ton in improvement around the park to increase their revenue. Covid came at a bad time especially for them. But in a year or two they'll be big players again in FA, so it wouldn't shock me to see some of the parts they deal off or let go end up back there. I certainly don't see them doing what they did from 2011-2014 again.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Kris Bryant Trade Rumors
#11

Posted: January 10, 2021, 11:44 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 3312
JohnBriggs12 said:
I certainly don't see them doing what they did from 2011-2014 again.


Me neither, I'm hoping it will be more like what they did from 1909-2014.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Kris Bryant Trade Rumors
#12

Posted: January 11, 2021, 11:08 AM Post
Posts: 922
brewmann04 said:
I really doubt the Cubs will trade with the Crew.


Right, I totally agree with this.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Kris Bryant Trade Rumors
#13

Posted: January 11, 2021, 12:30 PM Post
Posts: 5331
After all the development, Wrigley renovations, property acquisitions to construct what is a total Cub fanboy gameday experience around their ballpark, etc., it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see the Cubs be the next MLB team to get sold. I think the Ricketts' ownership group financed a significant amount of construction/development costs based on revenues that just aren't going to be there until COVID is an afterthought, and they may need to sell in order to realize the franchise value gains all their efforts have created because they can't afford to maintain daily operations of that asset with how uncertain gameday revenues will continue to be over the next few seasons.

They paid $900 Million for the Cubs, financed roughly $750M in wrigley renovation costs, and have spent/financed north of a billion more with real estate development groups on property surrounding the stadium. That's alot of $$ tossed around in a ~10 year period, much of it financed with debt. I think they're desperate to cut payroll and don't have a ton of concern for the overall management of the onfield product for 2021, because if they don't get their operating balance sheet looking better they're going to be forced to sell a club they were setting up to be a cornerstone of their family's assets. Don't get me wrong - they'd get much more for the Cubs than the overall sum of costs they've spent - it's just the timing of all of these operating cost bills coming due right when the self-sustaining gameday revenue they were expecting from pre-pandemic capacity crowds and stuffed surrounding bars/restaurants/attractions can't happen may have them overleveraged.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Kris Bryant Trade Rumors
#14

Posted: January 15, 2021, 8:59 AM Post
Posts: 12509
Fear The Chorizo said:
After all the development, Wrigley renovations, property acquisitions to construct what is a total Cub fanboy gameday experience around their ballpark, etc., it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see the Cubs be the next MLB team to get sold. I think the Ricketts' ownership group financed a significant amount of construction/development costs based on revenues that just aren't going to be there until COVID is an afterthought, and they may need to sell in order to realize the franchise value gains all their efforts have created because they can't afford to maintain daily operations of that asset with how uncertain gameday revenues will continue to be over the next few seasons.

They paid $900 Million for the Cubs, financed roughly $750M in wrigley renovation costs, and have spent/financed north of a billion more with real estate development groups on property surrounding the stadium. That's alot of $$ tossed around in a ~10 year period, much of it financed with debt. I think they're desperate to cut payroll and don't have a ton of concern for the overall management of the onfield product for 2021, because if they don't get their operating balance sheet looking better they're going to be forced to sell a club they were setting up to be a cornerstone of their family's assets. Don't get me wrong - they'd get much more for the Cubs than the overall sum of costs they've spent - it's just the timing of all of these operating cost bills coming due right when the self-sustaining gameday revenue they were expecting from pre-pandemic capacity crowds and stuffed surrounding bars/restaurants/attractions can't happen may have them overleveraged.


Don't forget they also invested heavily in starting up Marquee Sports Network with little return on that investment to this point.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Kris Bryant Trade Rumors
#15

Posted: January 15, 2021, 4:47 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 13348
Bryant signed with Cubs

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 [ 15 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
  


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search this forum (phpBB search):
Jump to:  
Search entire board (Google search):
Google
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Test